Standard Shoulder Replacement Finally after 5 years - a new shoulder

bah humbug to mammogram xray techs who are so blind they do not see the lovely post op scar
Ha! I never even thought about the scar. But you're right....she should have seen that . It's definitely there. I just don't think about it much and forget it. I do plan to talk to her when I go back next year, though.
 
So sorry to hear that you're having new trouble with the shoulder, Jamie. Is the issue with bicep the "long" insert of the tendon? I was told that, even with professional athletes, the cut/release the tendon rather than fixing it or reattaching it - that it doesn't have a significant impact on capabilities. They think mine has caused a tearing of the labrum and that they'll need to release it as they go in to do the rotator cuff surgery.

If you do need the bicep tendon released, my understanding is that is much less of a recovery than other shoulder procedures (you might look at Bruce1984's recovery thread). Unlike a tendon repair, they don't have to immobilize to allow the tendon to knit, so you're on your way much sooner. And if that part of the muscle isn't really that important, maybe you'd be back up to speed relatively soon after the surgical pain and swelling is gone.
 
The radiologist told me that both areas he was concerned about could be left as is if they were torn and I could still function just fine. This is something he hoped the CT scan might show a little more clearly so I could have a rational discussion with my surgeon. He's a great guy who understands me and my lifestyle completely. I'm not in a hurry to make a decision because I'm not in any real pain. It's just slight and every now and then when I move a certain way. I have a hunch the surgeon may want me to try some therapy first. That's what he suggested when I saw him a couple of weeks ago. At least now if I do have therapy I can talk with my therapist about exactly what the problems are instead of just guessing. I'm glad I am having the imaging done.
 
At least now if I do have therapy I can talk with my therapist about exactly what the problems are instead of just guessing. I'm glad I am having the imaging done.
It seems to me one should always have testing done so the PT can provide appropriate treatment, and not just guess, and possibly recommend an inappropriate treatment.
 
I felt the same way. I'm glad my surgeon was agreeable to ordering the test.
 
Thinking of how the mammogram technician hurt your shoulder, Jamie, I thought of you when I had my endoscopy yesterday.

I told everyone "Be careful with my left shoulder, please." The anaesthetist was particularly solicitous and asked me to position myself for the examination. He was patient and encouraging. The only part of me he had to touch was my arm, when he connected up the IV drip. He even allowed me to position the nasal tubes for oxygen and the bite guard.
 
I'm glad my experience helped someone. We all need to be watchful of these hurried techs.
 
Got a call from my surgeon's medical assistant today. The verdict is in......ruptured biceps tendon. It's history and will not heal nor be repaired. Evidently that is not done. Sooooo.....I am to just wait for the scarring to take place and eventually (6 months or so) the pain will stop. I can immediately start some exercises for strength that will improve functionality, which I will do. Obviously I need to start slowly and be mindful if anything causes pain afterwards. None of the exercises will worsen anything and could bring back full strength. Right now I have slight pain but I definitely notice some loss of strength when moving my arm up above head level. Sigh. Those mammogram guys are going to hear from me. I'm not going to wait until next year's appointment. I'll be calling to talk with the facility manager and explain what happened so they can educate all the techs NOT to force someone's arm on the machine - EVER!! And especially not when they can see a visible shoulder scar! Also, that information should be highly visible in someone's electronic file so they see it immediately when a patient comes in.
 
Sorry to hear the test results were not favorable, But a good lesson for he rest of us so we make sure there are no repeats for us. Hope you can get some strength back with minimal pain. Take care.
 
So sorry to hear about this, Jamie! If it's totally ruptured, there's not much for them to do. I was told that if the long tendon insert (the most likely to be damaged) was damaged, they would totally detach it and go from there - they don't even do a repair for pro athletes. After healing, though, the other bicep tendon in shoulder would do all that you need it to do.

Those mammogram techs definitely need to be retrained. When I see my surgeon, I'm going to suggest that the hospital consider a new protocol for shoulder surgeries. The nurses in recovery completely changed how and where the sling was sitting (they put the arm completely across my chest just below the breasts) rather than putting it back where they'd put it in OR. I'm going to suggest that, since this is one of the most crucial parts of recovery in first 6 weeks, the patient shouldn't be discharged until a PT or specially trained nurse demonstrates putting sling on and taking it off and where it should rest. Luckily, I knew they were wrong, adjusted it at home and had a PT friend take a look and make a couple of minor adjustments.
 
Good for you for being proactive with the hospital personnel. Hopefully they will be happy for your excellent feedback.

The thing I'm most concerned about is knowing the condition of the biceps tendon that didn't rupture. The radiologist indicated it looked "thin" in the ultrasound. When I raise my arm and its extended out from my body, there is a point where there is a "pop" noise that doesn't hurt. It sounds and feels like a tendon rubbing over bone or the implant. I need to discuss that with the surgeon. I'm thinking about trying to get a telemedicine appointment set up with him to ask some of the questions that have come up now that I've started back in an exercise program with my trainer. That arm is very weak and it may be that I do need some actual physical therapy.
 
@Jamie ,

I have my mammogram this week and that definitely made me think of you! It's been a while since you've posted about it and I wondered how your shoulder was doing. Did the PT help or are you still having pain? I had that pop that was like a rubber band getting caught and suddenly releasing when the bicep tendon was torn but not after they cut the rest of it loose. My bicep is still weaker than pre-injury/surgery, but I don't notice it being that different than the other muscles in that respect.

You take such good care of others. Please let us know how you're doing!

Sara
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Awww....thanks Sara for thinking of me. It's kind of a mixed bag. I use my shoulders a lot and so some days I get a little pain from the biceps muscle. There really isn't anything I can't do and the workouts with my trainer definitely do help. They are moderate level, but still plenty for my ol' bod. I'm not into serious training at all...just enough to keep me from becoming the Little Old Lady that my age says I am.
I had a talk with my fabulous and extremely knowledgeable GP a week or so ago just to verify that what my surgeon's PA had told me about just letting the torn biceps muscle go and not repair it. Dr. Moore said that is the current procedure unless there is extreme pain (there's not) or there are things you cannot do (there's not that problem either). So, I guess this is just one of the accommodations I need to make as I grow more seasoned. I can't complain, as it's not slowing me down at all. I injured that shoulder ages ago lifting one of those heavy old televisions down from a shelf that was higher than my head. It was stupid and it most likely resulted in at least some of the problems I have had with that shoulder. But it's all good. I can lift boxes to pack my car for the lake, do yard work, and build things. I'm good.
 
Just read though this WHOLE thread. WOW, Picked up more than a few jems from it, as a heads up. Sounds like working much on some things on my house will be out for more than awhile, after having my shoulder done.:boohoo:At least I'm in the house. But now see, I will have to finish my 1st FL marble shower BEFORE, I get the shoulder done. Most work, left is the high work.

Shower5.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Jamie Which doctor at Dickson and Diveley did your shoulder replacement? I had Dr. Lowry Jones do mine on 7/21/2020
 
Well then, you had their best (in my humble opinion). I've known Dr. Jones for a number of years and he did my shoulder as well. He knows his stuff.

Did you have a standard replacement or a reverse? How are you doing?

@Lexus05 ... I'm going to move your question and my response over to my shoulder recovery thread as it's really off topic for tazzy13's thread.
 
@HandyWOMAN .... wow, that's a gorgeous job you're doing there! Having done tile work myself, I can't imagine completing that type of project with a bad shoulder. Can you get a friend to help? Those high parts are going to be tough. Do you have to do the ceiling? If that was the plan, I'd hold off that portion until after your shoulder recovers.
 
I had a standard total shoulder replacement because Dr. said I am too young (63 as of 8/2/2020). I had my surgery 7/21/2020 and was doing well until the 2 week mark. Then I had pain so bad(10 out of 10) and he diagnosed me with nerve pain from my fibromyalgia. Never had that kind of pain before, but he ordered the right meds and I'm doing much better. Doing the pulley 3 times a day.
 
Ah, yes.....the pulley. Got to be great friends with my pulley. It was actually very helpful in gaining range of motion, so I hope the same for you. I'm glad you didn't need the reverse replacement. It's really more a factor of the state of your rotator cuff muscles than it is your age. If your muscles are badly damaged the standard replacement might not be possible. The reverse procedure is a good one for those who could not have a standard shoulder done. It can result in a little less range of motion, but you still get a very functional shoulder. I hope you see wonderful results from your new shoulder.

Tell Dr. Jones you're a BoneSmartie. He should remember us as I've talked about BoneSmart many times over the years when I've seen him. He might remember my name as well. I had my shoulder done in February 2019.
 
Jamie, I set up working on that shower somewhat, as the shoulder has been bad the whole time. You can see the blue plastic platform(I found out some "step up exercising thingys", at the Goodwill) I have a bunch now. I'm using them as a false floor & you can just see a ladder. It's a pain in tight area. But I laid out the marble to go in a certain way(dark to light up, & "neat ones" at eye level). It's laid all out on my living room floor!!! :dubious: No ceiling. Attacking the 5" round shower control hole centered in ONE piece today! Might take a long time to cut (wet saw out on porch, so can't do this in winter)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom