Update on my shoulder and it's not so good. A couple of months ago, I had an annual mammogram and the technician unfortunately gave my left arm a slight shove to get it in place on the machine before I could say anything about the fact that I was still recovering from a shoulder replacement.
I got a really sharp pain directly in the joint, but it went away immediately, so I didn't even mention it to her. However, later....my shoulder hurt quite a bit.....a deep ache in the joint. I was concerned something might have gotten torn or stretched, so I decided to take things easy, take Tylenol when needed (which did take care of any pain), and wait for my annual appointment with my surgeon in late February.
After 6 weeks, the pain was better but not gone. It no longer had that deep ache in the joint, but some pain remained in the biceps muscle, which is where I've always had my pain with this shoulder. But the pain moves around and isn't constant, so I just wasn't sure what was going on.
My surgeon was pleased with my range of motion and the implant xrays. He felt I had just pulled a tendon or ligament or maybe had a small muscle tear. He wanted me to try therapy, as that is the treatment for both those conditions. He said if the therapy didn't work, an ultrasound could be done. I thought about it and told him I would be much more comfortable doing therapy if I knew for sure whether I had muscle or ligament tears. So he ordered the ultrasound.
I had it done yesterday. Of course I couldn't tell diddly squat from the images on the screen. But the radiologist was fine with telling me everything he was seeing. He indicated he thought I had some tendonitis in my shoulder itself where the biceps muscle attaches. Plus he thought the biceps tendon was either torn or very, very thin. He couldn't see the sub-scapularis muscles at all. That's the muscle that was so severely atrophied and the surgeon was worried about whether or not it would stay attached. He's going to recommend to the surgeon that a CT scan be done to try and see more details, even though that imaging can be a problem sometimes after a joint replacement.
I'm not in a lot of pain these days. And the radiologist indicated if his thoughts are correct, I'd have two options. I could have surgery again to try and repair the damage. Or I could just live with it as the two questionable muscles are not absolutely needed to function. That is pretty evident from the fact that I have little pain when doing anything with my shoulder and great range of motion. Maybe a little weakness when lifting anything above shoulder height, but that may get better with more exercise.
So, I'm in a "wait and see" mode until I hear back from my surgeon. I have no idea what I would do if the radiologist is right.
Here are the areas where there potentially may be problems. Please note this is a posterior view: