Guest viewing is limited

MUA Festina lente -Hastening slowly

Status
Not open for further replies.
me too and I can kneel on the floor and get up! ( with a little help from a counter)
 
Update time: I had been very happy with progress. I was gradually increasing my lengths of walks, I could walk to the bus stop, get the bus into town and walk the distance to the AS centre and up 3 flights of stairs on arrival. So far so good. My other knee isn't happy so I'm careful.
However, yesterday I finally made it back to my beloved Aquafit class. I was so looking forward to it. Well it was a disaster! The changing rooms were a slippy concrete obstacle course but I managed. I got into the pool OK but found that just walking my knee felt like bending lead pipe. Much stiffer than usual. The class started but even with no jumping both knees were painful. My non operated knee became as painful as my operated one was prior to the op. No point in remaining in the class. Membership frozen.
Woke up this morning to both knees throbbing away. Its been the proverbial two steps forward one step back. Oh well. Back to just walking.
 
Its gotta be tough when you have one knee getting better in a dipsy doodle way and the other one uncooperative.
 
I guess your knee is telling you that it's too early to be putting it through the stress of water exercises. Maybe another month or so it'll be ready. Your knee is still a baby.
 
Sorry to hear that you are not able to enjoy your aqua exercises. Must be frustrating for you. I can understand that as I am still experiencing stiffness,pain and discomfort after about the same timeframe as you. I know that complete recovery can take 6 -12 months,but I thought that was more for extension and flexion levels and not pain. Thought I would be over that by now.
 
I wonder if this might work for you? Give your knees a couple of weeks of gentle treatment (lots of icing, both knees) to settle down, and then try a few sessions in the pool independently. Just get the feel of the water, without doing any exercising. If that feels OK, do a little swimming, using mainly your arms. If all goes well, increase your water activity slowly, until you feel your knees are ready for the Aquafit classes.
 
Its gotta be tough when you have one knee getting better in a dipsy doodle way and the other one uncooperative.

'Dipsy doodle ' probably sums it up nicely! I`m sorry, I know how disappointing this must be for you. I met someone today who had her TKR 6 weeks ago. 6 weeks!!! I thought she was going to say 6 months as she was walking so well and her leg wasn`t even swollen. Knee envy ++++
 
Oh shoot, I'm 9 months and I still have pain sometime. It's not nearly as bad and a few months ago, but it's there when I over do. Even yesterday morning I woke up with it painful. I had remembered doing something in my sleep with it that woke me up. After a couple of Tylenol, it went away for the rest of the day and I was still able to walk over 10,000 steps. So, yes, you have many more months or up and down, just give yourself plenty of rest and time! Especially, on those days after a time of the ODIC visit!
 
@Celle unfortunately the pool at the sports centre isn't a leisure one. Its classes all the way. No opportunity for casual use. Frankly I was quite scared how it felt just walking in the water : it was the first time I was aware of my knee as an implant not really part of my body. I don't want to feel it like that again. I may try again in a couple of months.
 
They don't have lap lanes for swimming? I didn't start back in the water for 8 months, my doc gave the ok at 7 months. I began swimming laps slowly, just 3-4 laps until I worked up to 15 laps at a time. After swimming my laps I'd do 5-10 minutes of water walking. It may just be too early still.
 
It's a shame that the pool doesn't have an area for leisure use. Is there a leisure pool anywhere near your home, where you could get accustomed to the feel of the water?
 
We're off to South Africa at the end of the month. I'm hoping to try a pool again when I'm there. Maybe the warmer temp and hotel pools will be helpful? I hope so.
We're supposed to do a walking with lions experience so I'm practising without my stick. I should be OK for the Meercat sunrise though!
 
Thanks @Celle. Am already organised with airport assistance and have booked extra legroom seats. I kept my anti DVT stockings for the flight. I worry in advance so I always neurotically plan ahead!!
 
I can't remember if the article mentions it or not, but do be sure to arrive at the airport in plenty of time. With an artificial knee, security screening sometimes takes longer.
 
How exciting for you! I know you'll have a wonderful time!
 
Just been for a pedicure. My poor tootsies had been completely ignored for so long! Now looking lovely with my beautiful new sandals.
In other news I even went shopping without my stick! I did have the supermarket trolley though which is a bit of a cheat. Am walking much more. My operated leg is so ready for exercise but my other one is just so sore
 
Here you are wearing sandals and it's in the 20s here! Enjoy it! I'm afraid to go for a pedicure because of possible infections. Call me over cautious! Come this summer, I hope that changes. I love pretty toes! Makes a girl feel like a girl! You have improved so much since your MUA. I'm glad you had it done and I'm sure you are! What a good decision you and your doctor made!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom