Guest viewing is limited

Feeling helpless

Many of the os here in states won’t give much pain medication prior to surgery
There is a good reason for that - because, as Nicknoc said, no pain meds are any help at all for arthritis pain. However, I have found a TENS machine to be a little help.
I don’t think age or weight should be a factor-if the joint is gone it is gone.
It's becoming a big factor both here (UK) and in the US. We've had numerous new members come here complaining they are refused for one of those reasons.
 
To me the refusals are totally overlooking the condition. Sad that is the trend.
 
Hi again @Nicknoc . I read over on the other side you asking about items aiding recovery and also other questions. You’d probably get more answers here if you ask the questions on this thread.

I had a full year waiting for various reasons so kept on adding items to help. Bonesmart also has a section if you look describing various aids to help recovery. The following thoughts from my own experience now 3 weeks post THR

A raised toilet seat provided by nhs. Essential and makes life so easy. Why risk breaking 90^rule.

A toilet surround provided by nhs. Essential, same reasons.

A ‘helping hand’ provided by nhs. Essential, used constantly to pick things up and help with dressing.

A high chair with arms to sit on. I thought that I could raise cushions on settee but it was all too squishy, so ended up sending for a suitable chair from Amazon which is like a soft dining chair with arms and has been brilliant. I wish that I had bought a charity shop or similar chair before I had come home.

We just had to take various measurements of furniture, steps etc to the pre op. Nobody came to house.

I had a 2 week visit at home from physio, and will get another at 4 weeks but all trusts are different.

I bought a ‘toe cleaner’ from Amazon. Great for drying between toes. Really works. Just discovered they do a longer one 30 cm and bought from eBay.

I bought a dressing stick, useful mainly for getting socks off.

I bought long handle shoehorn but struggle with shoes without help

I bought a sock putter on which I struggle a bit with and end up asking my partner to adjust them.

I had a minimally invasive approach. Not that I knew I would. consequently I’ve required hardly any pain killers.

Hope that’s a bit of help.
 
@Josephine I tried a TENS machine for a while but didn't find it helpful unfortunately. I've been advised by work colleagues and friends to try either a sports therapist or chiropractor. I'm slightly apprehensive about trying either as I don't want my pain to be increased if it doesn't work what do you think?

@Descant Thanks for the info, my settee is definitely too low and squishy as I can't afford a new settee I'll probably invest in a comfy chair.
 
I tried a TENS machine for a while but didn't find it helpful unfortunately
Did you read the article I left you about the use of this? When people tell me it doesn't work, I've often found they are not using it to its optimum.
I've been advised by work colleagues and friends to try either a sports therapist or chiropractor. I'm slightly apprehensive about trying either as I don't want my pain to be increased if it doesn't work what do you think?
Well I wouldn't use a sport medicine doctor but a chiropractor might be a good idea. I was going to one for my second knee and he helped a lot. However, it depends upon the practitioner. Some use deep massage and others use impact devices. I doubt a good chiro would use manipulation (also called 'adjustment') on you because it's inappropriate. But since you've not actually told us the date of your surgery, it's a little difficult to be more exact.
as I can't afford a new settee I'll probably invest in a comfy chair.
Did you know you can hire a recliner for a modest sum? It might be even better than an armchair. Read this to get the nitty gritty of the types! Recliner chairs: things you need to know if buying one for your recovery.
 
Back
Top Bottom