Guest viewing is limited

Feeling helpless

@Josephine yep that is definitely the way I'im walking and have been walking for the last 2 years. Never heard that name used before that's why I was unsure what it meant.

I'm worried when I saw the consultant in November. He had an x-ray taken and he could see degeneration from the x-ray I had in Jan that year to the one he took. That was last year. I dread to think what condition my hip is in now. I KNOW it's getting worse. Previously I had an idea what would cause pain, etc. Now I have no clue.

I've always known that a hip replacement was major surgery but being on this forum has definitely shown how major it is. There's lots of things I hadn't even thought of so thank goodness I found this forum. Feeling a bit stupid I hadn't thought of these things.

Josephine, this may be a how long is a piece of string question but if my consultant does agree to do my surgery, how long is the waiting list? I'm sure it depends on the area etc. Would they require me to loose weight before surgery.

I need to buy a new bed anyway. Does it matter the type I get?

I wanted to save money for the time I'm off as I'm a nurse and I have a feeling I'll be off for a while. I'm not sure if my employer will pay me?
 
if my consultant does agree to do my surgery how long is the waiting list ?
This is area dependent. I just looked up the latest wait time data for Southend and as of September wait times for trauma and orthopaedics were 23-36 weeks with 92 out of 100 patients treated within 23 weeks. If your surgeon does agree to go ahead, ask what the current wait time is. If you get nearer the time and have not heard, get on the phone and call. I called weekly in the run up to my RTHR. By the time I got my date the wait list area and I were best friends. :heehee:

Yes, the area may require you to lose weight before your surgery. Unfortunately we are seeing more and more of these roadblocks to care here in the UK.

What kind of contract are you on? Permanent staff should be paid but they may try and limit this. My employer tried to force me to shorten my recovery time to 4 weeks even though my surgeon said I couldn't think about returning to work before 6 weeks. I fought this and did get my employer to pay me for the 6 weeks. When I worked in the NHS I had no problem getting paid during recovery.
 
Never heard that name used before that's why I was unsure what it meant.
(sshhh!
[Bonesmart.org] Feeling helpless
don't tell anybody but neither had I! I had to Google it!)
how long is the waiting list?
Well Jaycey has done better than I as she has the specifics!
Would they require me to loose weight before surgery.
Only if your surgeon says so. It's his call only.
I need to buy a new bed anyway. Does it matter the type I get?
Not at all. As long as it's not a futon or something really low!
I wanted to save money for the time I'm off as I'm a nurse and I have a feeling I'll be off for a while. I'm not sure if my employer will pay me?
I suggest you discuss this with your HR. Jaycey is also right in that it depends upon what kind of contract you have. If you are full time you should be okay. But there should be a period that you are on basic pay. Last time I had to do with this, it was 3 months but it's probably changed by now. That's usually called Statutory Sick Pay or SSP. After that, you move onto the government benefits which HR should also be able to tell you about. But it will be a lot less than your SSP.
 
@Jaycey thanks for letting me know about wait times , it's longer than I thought but hey ho just hope they agree to do it
IF they do I'll ask current waiting time.
My mums partner who's in his 70's has been told he needs a replacement he'@ got a appointment to discuss it in Jan he only spoke to his gp last month it seems unfair to me

@Josephine I currently work 30 hours at my current job I've been doing this since Jan. I'm sure I'll get some pay as when I was off sick for 4 months I was on full pay if they agree I'll speak to HR.
I'll try to loose weight anyway as it'll help anyway
 
Is it just me or does everyone awaiting a hip replacement get more pain in wet and damp weather ? its terrible ive really been suffering the last few days.

Has anyone tried chilli cream ? The pain nurse suggested it , ive tried the lower dose which doesn't appear to be helping
Not sure whether I should ask for the stronger dose? No analgesia uve been given is helping I'm in pain basically 24 hrs a day
 
You will find the pre-op pain does get worse with damp weather and any increase in activity. It's the dreaded arthritis.

Regarding controlling the pain - as Jo always says, the person who discovers a remedy for pre-op pain should get metal. Unfortunately there are no meds that control this - they only take the edge off.
 
I’ve had no consistency with pain related to weather. For me, it’s more with activity. Deep Blue rub by Doterra helps with muscle pain but nothing takes away the arthritis pain. My hip flexors are really involved this time vs. when I had issues with the left hip.
 
Weather does seem to impact some of my stuff.sometime one rub can help, then other times it does nothing. When my left hip got really bad nothing helped, no rubs or pain pills. Rest and elevation seemed best. Makes us ready to get the darned thing out!
 
Yep, changes in the weather did affect my hip. Didn't like the heat creams, but was living with a heat pack stuck to my hip. It didn't get rid of the pain, but it did help a bit.
 
My heating pad and I had a special bond. As Susan209 recalled, didn't alleviate the pain but certainly comforting and better than taking a bunch of junk that didn't help anyway.
Had heated so much, couldn't envision icing post op...but , oh my stars, ice became my friend.:ice:
 
@hikejunkie where did you get the deep blue rub from ? I think a lot of the discomfort is muscles tightening . I'm on methacarbamol which i think od a muscle relaxant but i do wonder if id benefit from something else.
 
Could I ask a question if it's not too personal?
As I'm 45 they keep telling me I'm too young for a replacement
I'm seeing an orthopaedic surgeon in Jan I'm hoping he'll agree to do my surgery as I have no quality of life can hardly walk and am in pain 24 hours a day, all of these things I will tell him , previously he refused surgery as my hip was too bad for minor surgery but not bad enough for major surgery.

My question is when it was decided a hip replacement was needed was it decided on due to how you presented as a pt I.e walking impaired, not being able to or neededing assistance with things like personal care or was it purely based on xrays and scans etc?

I'm trying to figure out the best way to approach the appointment to give myself the best chance of getting the surgery.

I'm on 15mcg buprenorphine patches weekly , 600mg pregablin daily and 8x30/500 co codamol and of course the chilli cream which I don't really count and I'm still in pain my next appointment with the pain clinic is March it appears the only way I'm gonna get any relef is when I get it replaced please God it happens quickly
 
I have no quality of life can hardly walk and am in pain 24 hours a day
That was my situation along with a complete inability to sleep and the feeling that the pain felt like it was causing chronic inflammation everywhere.
Hope he agrees it's time. Tell him you don't want to wait until it's worse because it's worse now!
 
Last edited:
Ditto here. OS looked at Xrays and checked for ROM, but decision was mainly based on QOL. And I'm 39...
 
I'm a bit older (just turned 55). My OS never even brought up age. That I was having pain that interfered with sleeping, walking and other activities, he told me when was up to me. With the first, I'd already done each of the more conservative treatments while they were trying to figure out what was wrong. With the second, it was going south fast enough I told him I didn't want to waste the time and money on things that were unlikely to help. His response? "I'll have you talk to my scheduler - do you want to do it inpatient or outpatient."

They can't measure QOL from scans and exams. Only you can. And what I deem acceptable may not be what you find acceptable. If you want to move forward, let it be known as often and forcefully as necessary. If this OS won't listen, find one that will.
 
Thanks for all your replies I'm REALLY hoping my age isn't a factor this time and more so my quality of life has majorly deteriorated since I saw the consultant last year.
I'm concerned that if I'm left like this I'll either be in a wheel chair or will need a left knee replacement or right hip replacement my body seems to have decided ive struggled long enough
 
@SaraK I understand what you'e saying about each person having different opinions on quality of life regarding pain.
I will indeed find a surgeon who will listen if the surgeon i see in Jan doesn't.
Not sure how to find a new surgeon but will cross that bridge when if I get to it
 
Hi @Nicknoc Welcome to BoneSmart. You've come to the right place for assistance with your problems. I'm so sorry you are having so much pain and going through such trouble getting the clearance you obviously need to achieve a better quality of life and protect those knees and back from further damage. I'm sure Josephine will be of immense help along that road. We all know the pain you are suffering; it is severe and as in your case, it reduces your abilities to work, care for yourself and your enjoyment of life. I don't wish it on anyone and I certainly hope you will get relief and care you need to get on the other side of it all. Will be thinking of you and watching for your thread so I can follow your progress. Good luck and good wishes for success. :yes!:
 
Good luck... I am in a similar situation re having been told to lose more weight before my op date (which, as yet is uncertain) Cold weather does not help and I have resorted to thermals to keep my hip warm in the day. This seems to help. Also I have a desk job so make sure I get up regularly and walk about.. I am on NSAIDS but don't like them very much and am worried about long term use. Best of luck for January and I hope you get a date soon.
 
@zinnia Thanks for the welcome its nice to know people know the issues and pain I get, my boss and work colleaues are fantastic caring and understanding but i worry they may think I'm putting it on or I make it worse than what it is.
Thankfully or not ive got a noticeable limp which helps my hip issue appear believeable.

@SurreyGirl never thought of getting thermals may try that see if keeping my hip warm helps at this point nothing could make it worse
I'm not allowed to use braids hence why I'm on the other meds.
I find sitting is a bad thing as is walking too much i need to be able to do both when I need to.
Being a nurse I'm on my feet a lot of a time thankfully my manager and colleaues are understanding and will cover for me if i need to sit and take pain killers at work.
 
Back
Top Bottom