Guest viewing is limited

Feeling helpless

Hi @Nicknoc
Wishing you peace and comfort as you search for a solution.
Hopefully you formulate a plan of action soon so you're able to move forward in life without pain.
Best wishes for a great 2018.
 
Proabably a stupid question but here I go
Does your weight affect the approach your surgeon will take whilst replacing your hip?
Can you ask for your preferred procedure?
Are there statistics about which has the best recovery rates etc?
Does your weight affect whether you have a GA or spinal/ nerve block or perhaps that will be decided on individual cases?

Sorry for the questions I know I've not even had my appointment yet and even given the green light for surgery. These questions came to my whilst reading other people's posts. I'm sure some of the decisions are the surgeons and each surgeon is an individual. I suppose I'll have to wait and see

I'm going to Florida in April goodness only knows how I'll cope with the flight and walking around the theme parks. I jokingly said to my niece to hire a electric scooter but joking aside I think I may have to. Am sorely tempted to take my crutches! Also my mum bought a walker for herself its got a seat so we can share. I checked and thankfully I could use it as I was under the weight limit, however I'd need to check my weight as I'm not sure that's the case now. I'm worried about this holiday. I really don't want my lack of mobility to spoil it.

@Josephine I saw on a different post that you were able to give names and numbers for previous surgeons for another patient using this forum, is there any chance you could do the same for me? I know I've already got a appointment with Mr Greer but want to keep my options open as I'm not convinced he'll agree to do surgery

I haven't had an x-ray of my hip for over a year. Should I request one from my GP before my orthopaedic appointment? Wondering if this will help his decision. As my appointment isn't until 16.40 I can't imagine him wanting me to have an x-ray then go back and see him after. This is what happened on my prior appointment - the clinic would have finished. I don't want to give him the option of making another appointment with an xray first.

Sorry am rambling on I don't know what to do for
 
Does your weight affect the approach your surgeon will take whilst replacing your hip?
No
Can you ask for your preferred procedure?
No
Are there statistics about which has the best recovery rates etc?
Not that I know of
Does your weight affect whether you have a GA or spinal/ nerve block
No
Should I request (an xray) from my GP before my orthopaedic appointment. As my appointment isn't until 16.40 I can't imagine him wanting me to have an x-ray then go back and see him after. The clinic would have finished
An xray will be ordered by routine for new patients and you'll go for it before you even see him. So the films should be available to him before you even see him! It would be helpful if you arrive about 20-30 minutes before the appointment time. It's all computers now so they are ready on the system instantly!
I saw on a different post that you were able to give names and numbers for previous surgeons for another patient using this forum, is there any chance you could do the same for me?
Sure will but it will have to wait till tomorrow. It's 1.30am and I am past ready for bed!
 
@Josephine Thanks for replying to my questions i appreciate it, I looked on my local hospitals website last night for other possible surgeons if Mr Greer refuses but I have no idea who is the best one or if they're all the same, I'm sure people expect me to know more because I'm a nurse however orthopaedics isn't my speciality
 
Oh I understand that one!

First can you tell me which hospital Mr Geer works at so I can check on his stats.
I'll then also know your area and see who I can suss out for you.
 
Hi @Nicknoc.......I'm considerably older than you but even so my surgeon said I was too young to be disabled by arthritis. My xrays say my right is severe and my left is moderate.....however, he wasn't that interested in what the xrays showed, he was going 90% on how it is affecting me. It seems I've got a very understanding surgeon, compared with some I have read about on this forum, and I consider myself very lucky! One thing I do think we are prone to do when describing the pain and disability is perhaps to minimise it a bit, not want to appear a complainer (you think when you go in to see your GP or physio, and they say "Hi, how are you?" and you automatically reply "Fine thanks" :nah: ) so when you see him don't understate! :no-fin: And my surgeon wanted to see xrays no less than 6mths old, as Josephine said. I hope things get sorted for you very quickly.....the pain and disability is bad enough without having to fight for treatment :sad:
 
@Josephine I see mr Greer at Southend hospital is that enough info?

@anny You completely right when you say we dont want to be labelled as a complainer so we don't tell anyone about the pain.
My mum's coming with me to the appointment to ensure I am honest about how the pain has affected my life etc . I' gonna check my appointment letter to see if it says about having an x-ay before I go
I've had to fight the whole way through since damaging my hip.
 
Where would I find a list of equipment I'd need when my surgery is agreed? I have a walk in shower but it's not very wide, not sure a chair would fit any suggestions?

@Josephine I checked my appointment letter it has nothing on there about an x-ray prior to the appointment should I ring and ask or should I get there early as you previously suggested? I just don't want anything to delay my treatment.
 
@Josephine I checked my appointment letter it has nothing on there about an x-ray prior to the appointment
No there won't be. In all the hospitals I've worked in, this is standard procedure in the ortho department. The staff know this and will send you to xray in good time, don't worry.
 
@Josephine thanks for that I'll wait and see on my appointment.
Quick question my hip issues are on my left side . For the last few weeks I've been getting excruciating pain which takes my breath away when I touch my heel or when I put my shoes on, any idea what would cause this? I'm surprised its not on my left side.
The pain goes once I take my shoes off or stop touching it.
Ive also been getting bad spasms and pain in my back for the last couple of weeks I've no idea what's caused it, Ive not done anything different I'm aware of. I've been off work for the last week .
I'm going to my GP tomorrow hoping they'll be able to help.
I' m taking my meds as usual not taking anything extra was thinking of trying ibuprofen but as its a nsaid ive veen advised not to take them as ive got a hiatus hernia.

@Josephine any luck regarding other consultants in Southend Hospital that may do my surgery if Mr Greer in Jan refuses. I've got a list of names but have no idea who would be the best
 
For the last few weeks I've been getting excruciating pain which takes my breath away when I touch my heel or when I put my shoes on, any idea what would cause this?
Nothing other than a strong suspicion that you other hip needs doing! Has it been checked?
any luck regarding other consultants in Southend Hospital that may do my surgery if Mr Greer in Jan refuses. I've got a list of names but have no idea who would be the best
No none. But additionally, it would be complicated to try and transfer to another surgeon in the same hospital. Usually once you're assigned to a certain consultant, that's it. The system will always flag you up as having been referred to that one and you don't get a second options.
 
@Josephine thanks I have a strong feeling you're right. In the last few weeks I've been suffering more with my right hip as well. In fairness I'm not surprised as I've been walking with a marked limp for 2 years so I wouldn't be surprised if it needed doing also.

Nope no one's looked at it as I'm getting the pain etc from the left hip, that's what everyone has been focusing on.

Hoping the GP tomorrow may be able to help. I'm usually told that 'as I'm under the pain clinic get them to sort it out' sounds a bit of a cop out if you ask me.
 
You're not kidding! Who's told you that? Your orthpod? Your GP? You should at least get it xrayed to see what's going on.
 
It was my previous GP. He was due to retire soon after so think he got past caring. Needless to say I've changed surgeries. So far this one has been great. I'm hoping when I tell them about my symptoms they won't just brush it off as the previous GP did.

May ask the GP to do a right hip xray - just out of curiosity
 
You don't get any brownie points by walking in and saying "Can I have my hip xrayed?" You have to let it be his idea! It's more usual to just tell him about the pain in your hip and 'wonder' if it's arthritic too. If he's a nice GP his response should be "let's get it xrayed and see".
 
@Josephine yep you're absolutely right. I put the idea in their head and they decided a pelvic xray would be a good idea. Had it done urgently today will be interested to see if it shows degeneration in my right hip? Am convinced the left hip would have deteriorated.

She wanted to increase my pregablin but as I'm on 300mg I'm at the maximum amount so she started me on Vimovo 500/20. Although they contain Naproxen which isn't good for me the GP reckons it'll be ok in the short term.

Been signed off for 2 weeks, feel rather guilty it being over Christmas I know I wouldn't be able to help anyone
 
@Nicknoc Have you tried Lidocaine patches. You can get them over the counter or by prescription for s stronger dose. I had those on almost 24/7 for hip pain and Sacral Iliac pain

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk
 
anny, I agree completely! I went to the same doc who did my knees for my hip pain. I walked in using a Rollator and not putting any weight on my left leg. He said I did not need a hip replacement because the femoral ball was ok and just the socket was bad. Went to see another OS and he said yes I did need a THR because of quality of life. He says he goes by the impact on the patient's life and not the x-rays.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top Bottom