Guest viewing is limited

Feeling helpless

Wouldn't you like to be a fly on the wall when they operate and see the actual joint! (well, no not really.....only hypothetically!) I wonder if, when the xray shows 'apparently' little damage, in actual fact the joint shows considerable damage ....and if it does, why isn't it on the xray? No wonder we're so confused, when some medical professionals want the proof in b & w, and some just go on our say so :shrug:
 
@kayak59 No I haven't tried Lidocaine patches I didn't know there was such a thing. I'll ask at the chemist the next time I go, I'm willing to try anything to get rid of this pain.

Although I've had a repeat x-ray done as per my gp advise due to pain , I'm convinced it'll show deterioration, i really hope the OS I see in Jan will take into account how much the hip pain impacts on my life and how my quality of life is zero. Fingers crossed he'll overlook my age and weight and list my for surgery
 
@anny Yep I agree I'd love to see my joint to see how bad it is and I'm not talking hypothetically lol I'm a bit odd like that and not in the least squeamish. We all take our dr's word for it when they review xrays and decide on treatment. However it's confusing as I've seen on here with others' posts that 2 OS's see a patients xrays. One decides they don't need surgery where the next surgeon agrees on the need of surgery? As the patient it's very confusing annoying and worrying. I would imagine for them to have differing views. That is what makes me wonder, do OS's go by either quality of life or x-ray results and not take both into account? I suppose it's a personal decision as the OS is accountable in the end.
 
My os trie to pay most attention to patient pain and quality of life. He says he will look at some X-rays and think there are horrible and patient has no complaints, others it doesn’t look as bad, but pain is obvious. I guess there is obviously a level of deterioration that has to be seen for insurance to go along with it (at least here in the states).
 
@MammaT - my OS is the same regarding quality of life. I asked him if I needed more tests, like MRI, for insurance purposes and he said nope, X-ray shows enough.
 
:fingersx: for you. I was truly miserable...thankfully ? my X-ray's also showed I was end stage OA
Try to hang in there.:console2:
 
My OS looked at my X-rays, which showed one already-replaced hip and one that was covered in bone spurs and paper thin cartilage. I asked the same question as @MammaT: do I need an MRI to “prove” that I need a hip replacement? He said the x-rays only tell part of the story. He asked me about my quality of life, including how far I could walk before having to stop or sit, whether I could drive pain-free, whether I could still participate in the activities that brought me joy, etc. Honestly, he seemed far more interested in returning my lifestyle to me than merely performing a hip replacement surgery.

I’m so glad he emphasized the quality of life aspect. As arthritis sufferers, I think we tend to keep lowering the bar out of necessity. Pretty soon, we forget what quality of life REALLY is because we’ve had to give things up little by little. Quality of life Is hard to quantity, but you sure do know what it means once you get it back again!
 
Not sure if UK will be the same as we dont pay insurance @MammaT.
The difficulty is @pkuznets what I can do differs on diffrent days seems to depend on time of day and how many pain killers I've taken.
 
I haven't tried Lidocaine patches I didn't know there was such a thing. I'll ask at the chemist the next time I go, I'm willing to try anything to get rid of this pain.
You won't get them otc (over the counter) in the UK, Nicknoc.
However it's confusing as I've seen on here with others' posts that 2 OS's see a patients xrays. One decides they don't need surgery where the next surgeon agrees on the need of surgery? As the patient it's very confusing - makes me wonder, do OS's go by either quality of life or x-ray results and not take both into account?
You have to remember that no two surgeons had had the same training or professional experience. I've always said - ask 10 different surgeons and you'll get 10 different opinions! Doesn't actually mean any of them are wrong - just different. But when they see a new patient, they all have a routine: First is the history, what you have to tell them - this includes things like your quality of life. Next is the examination and last are the xrays. UK surgeons tend to be happy with the xrays and there isn't much of a drive to do MRI scans while the US patients feel they've been short changed if they don't get one. Being an old time nurse, I've had a lot of experience in reading xrays and so far as I'm aware, they do tell about 95% of the story unless it's a soft tissue issue rather than just bone. I've also known people who've had "oh gore blimey" xrays and yet declare minimal pain and are pretty mobile. By the same token, I've also seen xrays that were pretty near normal yet the patient was in so much pain they were in a wheelchair! Nothing's definite in this business!
Not sure if UK will be the same as we don't pay insurance @MammaT.
Of course it's not different! Health care is health care the world over!
The difficulty is @pkuznets what I can do differs on different days seems to depend on time of day and how many pain killers I've taken.
Nicknoc, I think I did say to you earlier in this thread that there is NO drug available that will adequately manage the pain of arthritis. It's the same as with toothache. They just don't work.

Have you tried this form which will give you a really good picture of your quality of life? Print it off and fill it in. The results are only for you so don't post them on here.
 

Attachments

@Josephine I realise that all surgeons would have differing opinions if you showed them the same xray which if course doesn't mean they're wrong.
I also understand that there is NO tablet to take away the pain, the only thing that will stop the pain is the hip replacement.
 
I got my first surgery because pain was intolerable and pain killers weren’t helping and I don’t like taking them. For me, if it is to the point that I have to take pain killers on a daily basis, then my quality of life is impacted.

I hope you can have some relief over the holidays and get answers soon.
 
Agree completely with MammaT. And with you. No pill I found to even make it possible to sleep...for over a year.
Now that's crazy. I was trying to find a way to velcro myself to the wall as laying down eventually was the worst pain for me.
And I'm not even joking...that's desperation.
Hope you can get this done sooner than later.
Much sympathy.
Try to distract yourself from it (yes, I know...easier said than done) as mental stress wears us down quickly.
Hang in there and happy holidays.
:tree lights:
 
Funny isn't it just spent 20mins on a static bike no pain on there but lie down and try and sleep and those hips really start making themselves known :tantrum2: roll on 31st Jan. Resigned now that no pills can take away this pre op pain.
 
Same thing happens to me on the bike. No pain during. Hip yelling afterwards. And yet I keep doing it.
 
@Josephine I realise that all surgeons would have differing opinions if you showed them the same xray which if course doesn't mean they're wrong.
I also understand that there is NO tablet to take away the pain, the only thing that will stop the pain is the hip replacement.
So sorry to hear the mither you've had in trying to get a hip replacement.

I'm 45 years old and have just had my right hip done 4 weeks ago. At the beginning I went to my GP regarding the pain in my hip which I'd had for about 8 years which was getting progressively worse. I was sent for an X ray and it showed I had severe arthiritis and cysts. I was then referred to a Orthopaedic Surgeon which turned out to be at the furthest hospital possible. However it was the Wrightington Hospital in Wigan, Lancashire where they pioneered the first hip replacement in the UK.

I didn't request Wrightington - my GP did unbeknownst to me. So all I wanted to say was that GP's have the power to refer you to anywhere!!

Try and stay positive it will happen and you will be able to work again.

PS I too work shifts and know how tiring it can be. Good Luck and Merry Christmas.

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk
 
@MammaT I'm taking 15 tablets a day and also have a pain killing patch . My pain is unbearable and my quality of life is 0. Hope surgeon takes pity on me.

@8peachY Thanks for posting. It gives me hope it will get done. Were you told you were too young to have a replacement?

That's what they said all the way through, although as I've mentioned I'm overweight also. Not sure if that's a reason but they're using my age instead?

Hope your recovery has been ok
 
@Nicknoc-sorry the pain is that severe. Many of the os here in states won’t give much pain medication prior to surgery. I would think if you are taking that amount they must believe your pain and would lend support to need for surgery. I don’t think age or weight should be a factor-if the joint is gone it is gone.
 
Hullo @Nicknoc
You were asking about the shower. Someone on here, I think it was Layla suggested a walker (zimmer frame) half in and half out of the shower. I am 3 weeks postoperative and had bought a narrow walker thinking I would feel safer than crutches. I actually preferred the crutches for walking but find the walker brilliant to have half in the shower. It provides a really sturdy frame to hold onto and the shower doors almost shut!
 
@Descant thanks for that, I'll look into it and see if that's an option, I'm always afraid I'll slip and fall on the way out of the shower even now I worry.
 
I got an extra long non-slip mat for my shower prior to surgery ( have to love amazon). I am fortunate that I have a walk-in shower so I placed a shower chair in there and was able to sit down from walker fairly easily. Also have a hand held attachment with shower head so I could use that. I found the different devices to be useful based on situation. Since I live alone, I wanted to be prepared for everything. Will be putting it all back in place prior to second hip.
 
Back
Top Bottom