• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR FCBayern's Recovery

OP
OP
FCBayern

FCBayern

senior
Country
United States United States
Had my first office visit PT today which was also the first time I've left the house since getting home last Monday. Their hip approach (much different than the knee!) is mostly just walking, getting up and down, and daily activities so I was pretty happy about that. I was able to walk foot over foot without a pause using the walker today so I am seeing progress. I was able to get the OS to refill my pain meds even though they were reluctant. I get I need to wean off of them but I think it's stupid to have to put up with being in pain only 8 days into recovery because OTHER PEOPLE have opioid addiction problems. I know I don't have that issue, I was even taking them long term for a while, when the pain stops I stop taking the narcotics, it's a pretty simple equation.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
Yay for progress! I like the sound of your sensible PT. I'll bet it felt good to get out of the house even if it was only for a car ride and PT. It's still a change of scenery and put a dent in the day which can get long in early recovery. I'm happy you received the prescription for pain relief you need and hope with your OS's reluctance to provide it, your supply suffices and you're able to transition into Extra Strength Tylenol soon if that works for you.
Have a nice rest of the week!
@FCBayern

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Sounds like you did well at PT and that you have a good one. Happy that you're seeing progress, just don't get over confident and rush things. It is seriously a shame that we have to jump through hoops when we need pain meds because others have abused them, especially when you're only 8 days out from major surgery. Hope the rest of your week is good and maybe you can get out sooner for a short visit some place a little more fun than PT.
:xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:

OP
OP
FCBayern

FCBayern

senior
Country
Yesterday was the eight year anniversary of my super custom aftermarket ankle!:cheers: So far the STAR implant in my left ankle has been a model of what is hoped for in a successful replacement. Hoping the new knee and hip match that result. I have been able to really back off the narcotics, one at bed time last night was the last time and I may try to go without tonight. On the other hand I'm not comfortable moving about the house without my walker on day 12, just not ready for a cane even for short distances.

Fit4Family

post-grad
Country
Day 13 if my Math mind is working today. @FCBayern Very early and impressive that you are comfortably coming off the narcotics. Sounds like you are well on your way with your new hip. That sleep that comes from effective pain relief is pure heaven. Glad you are sleeping fairly well as that offers the best opportunity for healing. Hope your new hip performs as well as your ankle. I didn’t even know that was possible. Hope you are back to doing the things you love soon.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello...thanks for updating :)
Happy Eight Year Anniversary on your ankle! A little over a month and it will be your one year anniversary since your TKR.

You're making progress with your latest surgery in weaning off the narcotics. Using the cane will come soon and the New Year should be a good one for you. I'll bet you're excited to jump back into life. Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
@FCBayern

ForumUser

Country
My experience this hip (May 19) was different than my first.

I used no narcotics following the night in the hospital. I found 1000 mg of Tylenol every six hours controlled the pain sufficiently. And, this small amount of pain was way better than what the narcotics did to my head.

Not advising anything since everyone’s recovery is different, but I was pleased with how the Tylenol worked.

OP
OP
FCBayern

FCBayern

senior
Country
Well what has started out a hip recovery seems to have become knee replacement rehab 2. :nah:The hip seems to be doing well. off narcotics and other than some weakness in my quads keeping me using the walker everything looks good. The almost 11 month old knee however is a different story. It's swollen, tender, doesn't want to bend and is causing much more pain than my hip. I'm using much more ice on my knee than I am on my hip.:bawl:

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
How long are you icing for? You are still pretty early into this recovery so I would hope you're pretty much icing anytime you're not up and moving around, it really makes a difference.

Are you doing any PT that might be setting your knee off? Especially since you're only about a year out. Plus they tend to put us through some serious gyrations when doing our hip so it just may be leftover pain from surgery. Hope with rest, elevation and icing it gets better.

OP
OP
FCBayern

FCBayern

senior
Country
@Elf1 I am doing PT for my hip but all I'm doing is walking and a few "mini" squats (just bending a little at the knee) and pushing up on toes so nothing that should bother the knee at this point. I ice for 60 - 90 minutes several times a day. Ice for my knee at bedtime is a must if I want to have any chance of sleeping.

OP
OP
FCBayern

FCBayern

senior
Country
Made the switch to a cane from the walker yesterday and everything has been good. It's so much easier to carry a drink or snack having at least one hand free.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Great news. :ok:
It sounds like you are doing well.
Consider dropping those "mini squats" and I'm guessing you might get some easing off of the groin discomfort.
Might be too soon for stressing that new hip.
It can be a dance to figure out what is helpful but these are early days and the most helpful part of the guidelines really is the
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Keep the faith, you are doing great.

OP
OP
FCBayern

FCBayern

senior
Country
Ventured out on my own today for a little shopping trip. :happydance: First time driving went out and ordered some party trays for Christmas Eve and made a couple of other stops. It's hard to believe that in less than 3 weeks I can do this with MUCH less discomfort than before THR. Ready for my little's to make their Christmas appearance. :plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Oh boy !
@FCBayern is off and driving! congratulations.. it's a big accomplishment, isn't it?

You sound like you are recovering nicely, but I would like to offer the advice of taking things slow and easy? There's a lot of healing still waiting to happen and it's easier to progress slowly than to progress quickly and have set backs.
I hope you don't mind me cautioning you, It's just that it is the holiday season and can be so tempting to overdo.
But then again, I just looked over your signature and it reminds me that this isn't your first experience with a joint replacement.
I bet you rested and iced tonight and are doing just fine, signed the worrywart. :shrug:

OP
OP
FCBayern

FCBayern

senior
Country
@CricketHip appreciate the warning, I'll be doing really good if I stay out of the ODIC over the holidays especially with my granddaughters coming in tomorrow (late tonight actually). I'm doing pretty good this morning, just a mild ache in the hip after 5800 steps yesterday, so not too bad for all the activity. I'll take it pretty easy today in anticipation of spending time with my two precious little girls.

OP
OP
FCBayern

FCBayern

senior
Country
:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
To all my fellow hipsters out there! Feeling really good today, woke up with some trepidation that I would be in the ODIC :dubious: after babysitting my 1 & 3 year old granddaughters on Monday and our traditional family gathering for Christmas Eve. Lots of standing, cooking and other food preparation for our traditional smorgasbord dinner. I even made a 90 minute round trip in the car to pick up some sausages from a really special meat market only to totally forget to cook and serve them among all the other food and merriment. Today is all about a quiet day with my lovely wife until we go to Christmas dinner with family which only entails good food, good wine, and great company, no work for me! Merry Christmas to all of you and yours. :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon::presents-under-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Great holiday for you! Thats funny about the sausages.. i think most of us can relate to that.
You babysat for two toddlers and avoided the ODIC!
Wonderful.. you are doing very well and I’m so happy for you.

Last edited:

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Sounds like you've had a great holiday so far and a very enjoyable time with family. You can always cook the sausage for New Year!
:snow: :happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
KneedAdvice101
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom