• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

THR FcBayern's Recovery

FCBayern

senior
Country
United States United States
Well here I am home with my brand new super custom aftermarket hip. Into surgery at 12:53 and to recovery at 3:10. OS stated that everything went very smooth and that the hip was completely shot, so getting in early by being on the waiting list paid off. Pain is controlled for now, I know that when the anesthesia they put directly in the joint wears off I'm going to feel like someone sawed off the end of my femur. :shocked:

mistytime

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Great to hear you are settled back home and sounding so positive . My turn tomorrow (second hip) and just too frantically busy to get anxious ! Will follow your progress with great interest!

gianni

Country
Ireland Ireland
Well here I am home with my brand new super custom aftermarket hip. Into surgery at 12:53 and to recovery at 3:10. OS stated that everything went very smooth and that the hip was completely shot, so getting in early by being on the waiting list paid off. Pain is controlled for now, I know that when the anesthesia they put directly in the joint wears off I'm going to feel like someone sawed off the end of my femur. :shocked:
[/QUOTE

The very best of wishes with your recovery, and congratulations on your new hip! On a positive note I have to say that in my experience recently, the post op pain was a lot less than I expected even after epidural wore off. I hope you will also not have excessive pain with your hip

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Here is some great information for you to get started on the road to healthy and happy.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Congratulations @FCBayern, happy you're done and resting comfortably at home. As @leejaa said, rest, ice and elevate, often, pretty much anytime you're not up and moving around. :ice:

Eman85

post-grad
Country
Congrats on your new apparatus. The one thing you won't feel is bone pain. Despite them cutting off the head of your femur and hammering in a railroad spike your bone won't hurt. Now your muscles and tendons that were stretch like an inner tube will have a lot to say.

OP
OP
FCBayern

FCBayern

senior
Country
Well the nerve block has worn off and I'm feeling the real affects of being chopped on now. Lots of bruising and swelling so I continue to ice and elevate. I have also found it is harder to lift my leg now then it was the first day or two. Anyone else experience this?

ritabell

Country
I found it easier in the hospital for some reason. At home, I had to have my husband lift my leg very slowly and carefully onto/off the bed/sofa for awhile until I was able to use a leg lifter(or robe belt). It's called log leg and it's perfectly normal. At about 2 weeks, I was able to lift my leg by myself.

As everyone said, ice and elevate as much as you can and try to keep yourself busy watching TV, movies, reading, listening to music. Take plenty of naps to let your body heal. I never napped during the day pre-op but find myself exhausted by the middle of the day needing a nap. I'm 3 weeks post-op today. Each week is getting better. Right now, take one day at a time.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:hi: @FCBayern
I feel like I also did somewhat better the first few days and then the surgical trauma really settled in. I think the initial adrenaline rush. :yes!: I made it through...kind of dissipated also and the body went into deep healing mode.

Good old log leg...it just wants to be babied.
Keep that ice going and we will keep the healing vibes flowing your way!:console2:

RinTinTin

senior
Country
Canada Canada
Well the nerve block has worn off and I'm feeling the real affects of being chopped on now. Lots of bruising and swelling so I continue to ice and elevate. I have also found it is harder to lift my leg now then it was the first day or two. Anyone else experience this?
Yes, it’s tough but it’s temporary. Our legs need recovery. Once that happens-we’ll feel like we are in our twenties again ☺

OP
OP
FCBayern

FCBayern

senior
Country
I'm amazed by how well I can sleep after THR compared to TKR. I spent weeks in my recliner unable to sleep in my bed. 8 hours sleep was really slow to come and I spent lots of days napping. Although I'm not typically a back sleeper I have managed to sleep in my bed every night and have gotten at least 8 hours sleep in 3 out of the last 5 days. Definitely appreciating this recovery as opposed to my knee.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Carreg
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom