TKR FC Bayern's House of Healing

@Lilli215 My wife is doing all the dog walking right now. He's a big strong boy and I don't need a hard pull on a leash because a cat darts out of the bushes or more likely my big bad Bull Dog gets scared by something. He really is a big baby.
 
I've had a frustrating secondary issue due to my TKR, cubital tunnel syndrome! since I couldn't sleep in bed right after my TKR I spent 24/7 in my recliner and apparently compressed my ulnar nerve in my elbow. It causes pain in my elbow, numbness in my pinky and ring finger along with sapping strength in my right (dominant) hand. The doctor is sending me for a nerve conductivity test but they have nothing available until the 9th of may. After that it's likely that I'm back to the orthopedist for release surgery. :unsure:
 
I'm sorry to hear about your problem with your elbow and the ulnar nerve. I hope it settles down and you can avoid surgery.
 
On the wrong side of the roller coaster today. Didn't do anything out of the ordinary yesterday but my knee is tight swollen and painful today. Even taking one of the last of my preciously hoarded Norco helped. :sigh: It's a really beautiful day outside but I'm spending my day in the recliner with my leg elevated and long sessions with my trusty ice machine. :umm:
 
It’s that rollercoaster recovery! Sorry you had to miss the beautiful day outside, but you made a wise choice.
 
Hi @FCBayern , I wonder if your physical therapist could recommend something for the elbow nerve issue? Are you icing it? That might help! People at work used to have that problem and we started removing the arm resta from their chairs :)
I am in California, too, in the South Bay Area. My Mom came out from Chicago to help me for the first 2 weeks and she LOVED our weather, even despite the rain. We had beautiful appear after each rain.
I seem to keep waking up at 2 a.m. every night and can only fall back asleep once I take my morning pills and then I sleep until 10 a.m. It’s not a habit that I want to continue!
Hope you feel better!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Irish471 Thanks for the well wishes, I'm in the central valley near Modesto and commute to Livermore. We have had a lot of rain this year but if you can get someone to take you for a drive in the coastal hills the wild flowers are incredible this year and worth the dreary weather.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry you had a bad day yesterday. It is frustrating how those sometimes hit out of the blue. :console2:
 
Does anyone have any advise about flying post TKR? I have a business trip in May so I'm looking for ideas. I will have been in recovery about 14 1/2 weeks when I travel. I'm thinking at least a light weight compression sleeve, my ankle replacement still swells 7 years later when I fly and a compression sock really helps with that.
 
Yes, we have an article about Flying soon after surgery that has lots of advice.

Ask for wheelchair assistance at the airports - those corridors are long and assistance will help you through security a bit faster as well.

Plan to arrive early at airports because, even with assistance, security may take longer than it used to. Expect to be screened, wanded, patted down.
 
@Celle Thanks Celle, I'm definitely expecting the wand and the pat down. I have been getting it about 40% of the time because of my ankle replacement and how sensitive the metal detectors are but figure I'll be 100% with both a knee and an ankle.
 
P.S

I've been here long enough that I should have known to check the library! :wink:
 
@FCBayern , I'll be interested to hear how your trip goes! We are planning a trip for June, which will be about a 3.5 hour flight.
 
Well 10 weeks in recovery today. Went to PT and my flexion was 110 and extension +5. Not too bad especially as I had one of those bad days yesterday where my knee was swollen and painful. I couldn't get anywhere near 90 degrees yesterday, It truly is amazing how much the swelling limits ROM. I happened to measure my knee circumference yesterday, something I did in the first few weeks of recovery and it was as swollen as it was in week 2. :yikes: All in all though things continue to progress in a positive direction, just not every day goes the right direction! :heehee:
 
Congratulations on your promotion! My knee wasn't happy yesterday and I have no idea why. For 4 days everything was fine, no pain, little swelling and then Bang! Almost as if it's reminding me that it's still new and needs TLC. It helps when others share and we know we're not alone on this rollercoaster.
 
Congrats on your promotion, def is a roller coaster recovery. My first tkr was two years past in January and although it was a complete success every now and then it twinges for no apparent reason, guess it’s just to remind me it’s there!
 
@Celle Thanks Celle, I'm definitely expecting the wand and the pat down. I have been getting it about 40% of the time because of my ankle replacement and how sensitive the metal detectors are but figure I'll be 100% with both a knee and an ankle.

@FCBayern , I'll be interested to hear how your trip goes! We are planning a trip for June, which will be about a 3.5 hour flight.

I have my first trip on Monday... I've been told by airport security that I will be relegated to the whole body scanner for rest of my travel days as the metal detector will alarm every time with the knee replacement. I'm flying from Hartford, CT to Key West, FL with a stop over in Charlotte, NC. Each leg is about a two hour flight... I plan to bring ice packs with me on board.... will have to get them cleared through TSC... but I'll plan for that...

Hartford is a small airport, so I think I can make my way to the gate on my own. But definitely planning on taking the electric cart for my connecting flight in Charlotte... this will be on my 6 week post-op anniversary...

I'm also headed to Prague, CZ for a conference at end of May. That will require some added planning....
 
Last edited:
@JDinCT please share how your trip goes I'll be very interested to hear.
 
Surgery Notes

One of our patients wasn't taking any chances. Prior to her operation, she taped notes to her body for the surgeon... "Take your time," "Don't cut yourself," "No need to rush," "Wash your hands..."

After surgery, as I helped the patient back into her bed, we discovered a new note taped to her, this one from the doctor, "Has anyone seen my wristwatch?"
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom