TKR FC Bayern's House of Healing

@FCBayern My OS couldn't see anything amiss and thought all my aches, pains, clunks and clicks were consistent with what he would expect at this stage and could carry on for a further 4 months . He thought the sensation of something catching or the joint not moving smoothly was probably down to my having worn away the inside of my knee (valgus) as opposed to the more common outside (varus) and the surrounding tissues having to get used to the change. He said his main concern at this stage was wound healing and ROM, which he said were both excellent. I don't have to see him again until next January (unless anything untoward happens).

How was your first day at work?
 
@Lindylee I made it through the whole day at work commute and all. Wasn't too bad but definitely some swelling and got a little uncomfortable by the end of the day. Icing and elevating now. Changed the plan a little bit, I'm going to work from home Tuesday and Thursday, a little bit of a phased return, With my commute half days just don't make much sense.
 
Working alternate days sounds sensible. I can understand how half days aren't the best idea when you add on a 2-hour commute. Is your knee still catching? Mine hasn't done it since I posted!
 
@Lindylee My knee has not had that catching feeling for the last few days, but I've been a bit remiss about working on my flexion so I'm not sure if it's better or I'm just not doing what seems to aggravate it. Trying my office chair to stretch it today while I work.
 
Let's hope it was just another hiccup in this rollercoaster recovery for both of us.
 
Had PT today, flexion at 102 and extension at +8 7 weeks post op. Trying not to let that bother me but I've been fairly aggressive in PT for other issues.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You did make me laugh - always a good tonic, especially with gin in it :loll:
 
flexion at 102 and extension at +8 7 weeks post op. Trying not to let that bother me
With those numbers, why in the would you be bothered? You are doing fantastic. It's more normal for extension to lag behind bend. Those muscles and tendons behind the knee are really large and take a while to stretch out. I was able to work out mine by increasing my stride length. While holding on to my walker for stability, I would step as far out as comfortable and walk heel to toe. It took more than a few weeks, but my extension came right in! Also, that extra time gave the swelling time to decrease.
 
@FCBayern : I love your new thread title!

And your recovery sounds wonderful. (pressing Envy button)
 
Getting close to 8 weeks post op. Work yesterday was basically pain free, a little discomfort relieved with icing. I use the ice machine during the night and Iv'e found that if I ice the last 45-60 minuets before I leave for the work night the commute home is much more comfortable. I'm thinking I could probably go back to 5 days a week but as long as work is good with Monday, Wednesday, Friday, in the office and Tuesday and Thursday working from home I'm not in a hurry to change that. Sleeping an hour and a half longer (when I can) instead of commuting is definitely a benefit!:cheers:
 
It sounds like you have worked out a good routine for you. Love that extra sleep!
 
The sleep is good but today has once again demonstrated the roller coaster recovery is. Monday was wonderful and after taking it easy yesterday my knee has ached since I got on my van pool this morning. Tylenol and ice.
 
Well two weeks of work under my belt but I'm going to continue with my phased approach of 3 days in the office and two days working from home. It seems to work pretty well for me so far. Have a nice trip to wine country for tomorrow with a route that should be full of wild flowers, really looking forward to that.
 
It sounds as if you have it sorted work wise. Enjoy your day out tomorrow. :flwrysmile:
 
Had a wonderful day out yesterday It was 70 degrees (Fahrenheit) and sunny, after a wet year here in California the wild flowers are amazing! We took our pup with us for his first trip to the foot hills and wineries. He's a rescue dog and an American Pit Bull Terrier and they have such an unfair bad rap here in the US. Any dog can be vicious it's all about how they are raised. Anyway the boy was amazingly well behaved, I love taking him to public places so people have a chance to realize it's not the breed that is an issue. He made a ton of new friends yesterday.:dancy:
The wine was delicious too, there's an advantage to not having to drive. :cheers:
 
I really love that he can be as Ambassador for his breed, one by one we will change peoples mind about his breed.
 
Hope you don't mind. I'm practising using this site, don't fully understand it! Glad to hear about your "crab feed' I'm not American , but it sounds good. I went to a 'classic car' get together and meal last week, one month post op. Able to walk well without any aid, and no pain. Tired the next day of course, but expected that.
 
@henrietta Welcome! There is so much wonderful information on this site for anyone that has had a TKR. Please start a thread of your own the moderators on this site will point you to so much positive information!
 
A first for you both FC! Glad the knee and pup behaved well. Onwards and upwards for you both now.:yes!:
 
I’m hoping that I can start taking my dog (mini schnauzer) on short walks next week, however it’ll be a few weeks yet I think before I can take her down the beach, sand is tricky to walk on at the best of times!!!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom