Guest viewing is limited

TKR FC Bayern's House of Healing

I always put my gel pack & wrap into a zip lock and pack it in my checked luggage. I have noticed that my bags get extra screening by the TSA. Probably looks like plastic explosives or something.
 
Here is the ice packs I plan to bring.... two of them in a small collapsible cooler.... these tend to last longer than regular ice packs in my experience....

[Bonesmart.org] FC Bayern's House of Healing
 
I had a terrible night sleeping last night. I've been sleeping pretty well lately but last night I had more pain than I've had in a long time. Then I get up this morning and the knee feels better than ever. Looking forward to getting out of the hills of this roller coaster and hitting flat track!
 
Wouldn't it be nice if we could hop off this rollercoaster for a time? My knee's not been too good after overdoing it yesterday, but seems to,be calming down after a day of rest and TLC. At least recovery from these set backs seems to be quicker as we are further along our recovery timeline. I hope you get a good night's sleep tonight.
 
@Josephine When I saw my OS yesterday he stated that you can see by the red areas in my scar that it's still healing but when it turned silver that I would not be able to gain anymore ROM. He wants me to at least 120 and 0 and I'm not too far from that now so it doesn't worry me, but I'm guessing this is just one more page in the myth that "you only have so long to get ROM"?
 
but I'm guessing this is just one more page in the myth that "you only have so long to get ROM"?
No, not even in these circumstances. Most people can always get more ROM over time.
 
Thank you, that's what I thought but it's always nice to hear from those with actual experience of the recovery process.
 
My ROM continued to improve in my second year post op.
 
I have been religiously taking Tylenol 1000 mg every six hours for several weeks now and it has done pretty well at keeping me pain free, adding ice and elevation or TENS when just Tylenol isn't enough. Yesterday I was pretty active and realized I had missed a dose of Tylenol, it had been 10 hours since my last dose and no pain! :dancy:
Since I will be traveling for work in three weeks and taking the ice machine would be a real pain I decided to try sleeping without it last night. I have used it every night since surgery for at least part of the night. Slept well from 11:00 to 5:00, woke to take meds and the knee was fine. Unfortunately I woke again at 7:00 with the knee really achy, so back on the ice machine which quickly calmed it down. So my experiment was not a complete success but definitely moving in the right direction. Gives me hope that 3 more weeks of healing will leave me comfortable traveling.:)
 
@FCBayern , that’s great that your knee did so well despite missing the Tylenol and not icing all night. You give us hope :loveshwr:
 
Sounds like you're doing great FC. Isn't it a nice feeling when things are moving along in the right direction?
 
@Lindylee It does feel good when you are moving in the right direction. I'm definitely in less pain now then before my TKR and I know it will only get better from here. :happydance:
 
So I'm continuing to go 8-9 hours between doses of Tylenol and then realizing I'm not experiencing pain. I'm 12 weeks into recovery tomorrow and feels like I may have really have turned the corner in recovery. I know there's a long way to go but I'm feeling a lot more positive about where I am in recovery. To all my BoneSmart friends that are behind me I know patience is REALLY difficult but better days are ahead!
 
When I saw my OS yesterday he stated that you can see by the red areas in my scar that it's still healing but when it turned silver that I would not be able to gain anymore ROM. He wants me to at least 120 and 0 and I'm not too far from that now so it doesn't worry me, but I'm guessing this is just one more page in the myth that "you only have so long to get ROM"?
I agree with Josephine.
Your surgeon is wrong. we'[ve had people here on BoneSmart whose ROM has continued to increase for 3 years, even one who discovered an increase at 6 years post-op. Here are her numbers:
(Thank you, @Campervan ) As you can see, her flexion continued to improve for a long time.

"I had a slow recovery. Here's my flex measurements at various points:
92 - 8 weeks post op
105 - 10 weeks
107 - 5 months
110 - 6 months
112 - 7 months
116 - 9 months
119 - 11 months
118 - 1 yr
120 - 1yr 2 months
125 - 1 yr 8 months
128 – 6 years "
 
@Celle I thought that would be the answer from BoneSmart community but it's reassuring to hear from those that have been there and done that. I know patiance is a key to dealing with recovery but like everybody else it's the hardest thing to actually practice.:) :-) (:
 
@FCBayern Couldn't agree more. I've struggled with patience this week, keep having to remind myself about the year recovery etc etc, but it's flipping hard at times, especially when you suddenly get pains cropping up that you haven't had for a while. We'll get there, just not as quickly as we'd been hoping for!
 
Back
Top Bottom