THR Fairydell's recovery thread

2. 1 in my hip but 4 from my knee to my ankle. This rises to 8/9 through the night
It's not at all unusual to get increasing pain over night. At 3 weeks out, this is all fairly normal
3. nefopam 30mg 1 or 2 tablets three times a day for breakthrough pain. I no longer take them.
Codeine Phosphate 30mg I only take these if my hip is bad, I haven't needed them for a while
Paracetamol 500mg I take two tablets three times a day
Your pain levels are clearly due to inadequate pain management. It's clear to me you DO need the codeine for a few more weeks and you need to take at least 30mg 2-3 times a day.
As for the paracetamol, you need to take two 4 times a day and at the same times as the codeine.
4. Ice is my best friend. I ice six or seven times a day for anything between 5minutes and 40 minutes. I ice my lower leg and my hip
That's very good.
5. I elevate a couple of times a day for about an hour at a time
Good
6. I make a cup of tea, prepare veggies, cook pasta. Wash the dishes by hand and a bit of light dusting. I make the bed and straighten cushions/throws.
Okay.
7. Standing leg raises to the front, side and back... 5 repeats two or three times a day. I was given bridge exercise but it hurts my back and hip so haven't done them recently... I don't do the bed exercises... slides etc
Didn't you notice our "BIG TIP" in the recovery Guidelines that Jaycey left you in post #3? Basically, it say NO EXERCISING!
My concern is the burning pain from knee to ankle. It's excruciating and the cause of my sleepless nights. My leg buckles and I can't lift my foot of the floor.
Well my suggestion is that you follow my recommendations:
1. amend your schedule of main medications as suggested
2. stop any and all exercising, follow the guidelines in Activity progression for THRs

Thanks Josephine. You have reassured me that everything is normal. I totally agree about the pain management. I have been a bit silly. In fact I started taking the codeine again today and have set my alarm to wake me for paracetamol though the night. My trouble is that I have been a very fit person and assumed I would sail through the op and recovery. I have learned my lesson.

@Josephine
I'm curious about her leg buckling and her inability to raise her foot off the ground
She fell once while home alone after her leg gave out. She had to slide across the floor to get to a point where she could get up. Is this not worrisome? I guess I'm wondering in all your years of experience in Orthopedics, if you've ever heard of weakness this extreme during the early days of the healing process?

The fall is in Post # 223

@Layla I see the surgeon tomorrow but when I had my lung clot scare the doctor had some medical students with him. He explained to them that the nerve damage was a classic case of what can occasionally happen... I wish I had asked him if it would heal but I was sitting quietly while he spoke with his students

Hopefully Jo can enlighten us.

I'm glad you're seeing the surgeon tomorrow.
Try not to go into the appt alone because sometimes it's difficult to remember all that's discussed.

My trouble is that I assumed I would sail through the op and recovery.
Lots of people do!
She had to slide across the floor to get to a point where she could get up. Is this not worrisome?
Yes, it can be if she has no help to get up again.
if you've ever heard of weakness this extreme during the early days of the healing process?
This early and much later. It can happen any time.

Good luck at your appointment tomorrow. Hope you get a plan that will get you back on track. Lay it on thick about the sleep. Bodies do a lot of repair work while we are sleeping. Maybe they can give you something to ease pain and improve sleep. Will watch for update tomorrow. Sending prayers.

Few hiccups along the way...but you are a beautiful new hippy so think positive...and know you have an international group of folk to cheer you on.:curtsey:

hi Hipsters. I saw the surgeon at lunch time and he was able to reassure me that the nerve damage will repair.. it could take six to nine moths though so I need to be patient. He had no idea that it had happened and said that because I am nice and thin.... yup, he said thin... :yes!: the operation appeared to go without a hitch. He had been surprised to hear about the nerve damage. He will keep a close eye on the recovery progress.

I’ve just read your thread @Fairydell . I’m sorry you have had a miserable time, but good news from the surgeon that it will pass. These hip replacements are a lesson in patience, for sure.

I too found the nights hard. I had a bed downstairs next to our downstairs shower room (I was scared to attempt our stairs for weeks) and after a while I gave up making any effort to sleep in the hours of darkness. I didn’t use my time well like you to craft anything beautiful, just spent hours browsing youtube and playing computer games. Then in the daytime I napped. I’ve read on the forum that other people share a bed with their spouse from the beginning. I don’t know how they do. It’s not that I don’t love my husband, but It was weeks before we got back to sharing a bed. I’d have worried about my hip getting bumped, as well as wanting to exist in my own personal time zone without worrying about keeping him awake.

Congratulations on being called thin! And when you think how many bare butts your surgeon must get to handle in his line of work, he clearly knows what he is talking about.

I'd also like to know how there is room for a second person on top of all the pillows, etc. without someone feeling like they were falling out. (unless you have a king bed) I agree with @Klassy about personal, recovery time zones! Great term!!

My hubs and I have a queen sized bed and when I felt especially restless, I went to the recliner. We didn't have any real problems but I can see why others would prefer not to share. And he was close by in early days when I needed help during the night.

Hi my thin friend!
Glad to hear he reckons all will resolve.
Hope you have a great weekend and wish me luck...that I haven't forgotten how to walk in heels and be a proper lady.:curtsey:
I'm usually in the trenches during the week so not the prissiest thing.:nah:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GordieO
Recent bookmarks
Back