TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
I managed to take a good fall in the garage this morning. Fell on my left knee, not the TKR one, twisted my wrist, but thank goodness I didn't break anything.

Bad luck Dorothy. That sort of thing really shakes you up. I stepped out the front door on Wednesday, the wind was so strong it blew my umbrella inside out and it caught and broke my specs. Like you I was grateful it didn't injure my eye.

I know you will be anxious about your Tuesday results, but think positive. You mentioned very recently that little by little your knee is improving. Its easier said than done, but when you think about it there's very little point in worrying about `what if'. Sorry, just trying (rather badly) to cheer you up. I'm sending you positive vibes for the gastro business too. xx Carol
 
Oh Carol, we're falling to bits!

Tis true, but we sure aren't giving in without a fight. I don't have the clicking you mentioned. ROM is a funny thing to measure. There are so many variables eg, height of chair, amount of swelling, time of day etc. I reckon its around 120. What ever it is it doesn't cause me too many problems. I can't come down stairs like a big girl, but that's because of the non operated knee.

Have you started learning Jamaican yet for our Flash Mob 2015 event? Yeah Mon.
 
Carol, as Monty Python would say, how about a "hair piece". I can't convey that thought with the accent my son and his friends used to use, but wasn't someone suggesting a bright pink one some time back. It might be "stunning". What is the date for the surgery? I am sending positive thoughts your way that all will be well.

Woke up this morning and "i'm feelin' fine", and going to go off and walk on the treadmill and use this great machine they have for the upper body, then going back to Lakehouse to play canasta this afternoon. It's a tough life but somebody's got to do it. Jim just gave me the five minute warning to get ready to go. It's cold this moning but the sun's up and "it's going to be a bright sunny day".

Hugs and Bugs, Dorothy
 
we will always be willing to listen and offer whatever we can to help you through.

Hi Josephine, I've just got back from seeing my doctor. I explained that I was finding walking difficult because of what felt like a tight rubber band/tourniquet/clamp round my knee. I explained I had a little swelling below the knee at the end of the day. That I found wearing an elastic support helped. I asked to be referred to a surgeon.

She said its showing no signs of being infected and because I don't get discomfort other than when I walk, she said there can't be anything wrong. I know a bit more now than I did, so I challenged her on this. In particular I mentioned slight misalignment (something @Jamie highlighted). All she would agree to was more physio. She said have the physio and let's see what they think, and if things still don't improve we will reconsider.

I got the impression she didn't want to bother the surgeon. Any way don't think I've much choice other than to do what she says. Looking on the plus side she might, of course, be right. Carol
 
Hi Carol,
Seems to take awhile to get these things sorted out. The physio will have more time with you and may be in a better position to see what is going on with your knee than your primary.
I still have that tight rubberband feeling after 2+ years, bone scan shows tons of inflammation, physical examination shows instability. My revision is scheduled for April.
I hope you can find answers and relief from your pain with activity, you can only cut back so much.
@Jamie has more information about how instability can cause pain, but x rays and everything else look good.
Happy Valentines Day!
 
I still have that tight rubberband feeling after 2+ years, bone scan shows tons of inflammation, physical examination shows instability. My revision is scheduled for April.

Hi Chris How are you feeling about your forthcoming revision? Re. the tight rubber band feeling. I've read the article in the BS library which says its scar tissue that GOES AWAY in time. Have they been able to say why yours has not gone away?

The physio will have more time with you and may be in a better position to see what is going on with your knee than your primary.

Makes sense. But you know I don't have a high opinion of physio therapists. All the ones I've met are young kids who seem to follow set procedures slavishly. Then there's the ones that go completely against the BS mantra - pushing and hurting. All the physios who worked on my knee said how well I was doing and that I just needed to give it more time. As of now that still hasn't happened - kind of knocked my confidence in them. But as my doctor wont refer me to a surgeon until I have tried more physio I will have to go down this route. And may be, just may be my faith in them will be restored.

I will make a point of reading your thread in April to see how you get on. Bonnie has had a great outcome. Its your turn next. Best wishes. Carol
 
Thanks Carol for the good wishes!
My tight rubber band feeling is from all the instability in my knee when I walk, or use it too much.

The physios need to be looking at your gait, if you knee wobbles even a little or goes side/side, or any out of the ordinary motion. They will also need to check for ligament stability (all very gently, do not let them be aggressive.). They can look up the special tests, in books they received in school, or on youtube, if they are not fresh in their minds.
Good Luck finding answers,
 
It is quite possible to have pain resulting from the fact that you need the other knee replaced. Therapy may help, but the real relief in this situation will be to have your second TKR. At least that was the way it worked for me. It wasn't until I had both knees replaced that my plantar fasciitis went away and I began walking with a normal gait.
 
The physios need to be looking at your gait,

Thank you soooooooo much. I've made a note of both your points to take with me when I see the physio. Its odd I watched the Utube vidoes showing a surgeon performing a TKR. It didn't bother me in the least. But when I watched the video of a physio checking for ligament stability it really got to me. It may have something to do with the TKR op being behind me and the ligament check still to come. But I really don't fancy the physio moving my knee around to that degree - scared I guess that will hurt and makes things worse afterwards. But it has to be done. Carol
 
It wasn't until I had both knees replaced that my plantar fasciitis went away

Hi Jamie, thanks for your reply. I checked what a plantar fasciitis was. I don't have heel pain and my gait is nearly perfect. On the foot of the TKR I have noticed just recently that I am getting a little discomfort on the ball of the foot. It feels a little as if my sock is wrinkled, but it isn't. Any way that's probably me turning into a hypochondriac. Thanks again for the benefit of your input. Carol
 
Do you see physio soon? It sounds as though it could be a number of things. I had callouses develop from my gait last summer on the outside of my non TKR foot and on the inside. They're gone now, I guess my gait must have gotten better. I agree with you on physio. Many times I have gone and found I've been better off on my own but I do hope you get a good one who can help diagnose and/or correct your knee situation.

Any big plans for the weekend? We finally have some beautiful weather here, so just going to hang out and enjoy the sunshine. We have a "Cabaret" variety show staged by the residents of Sweetgrass tonight, so that should be fun. Dorothy
 
I met an old friend the other day. She told me she was going into hospital. It turns out she is going to hospital to have cosmetic surgery - on her neck and hands. She's already had an eye lift and a nose job. She said reshaping her nose was particularly painful, her whole face was black and blue. They broke her nose in 2 places. But to be fair I have to say she did look good. Does this amaze you as much as it does me? When I think of all the suffering we've had with our knees, the thought of voluntarily going under the knife to look younger is a definite NO, NO. But may be I am just a coward.

No, you just have different priorities.
 
Carol, I've had both the OS and physio examine me for ligament stability and it wasn't as bad as it looks on video. I know the OS will be doing the exam on Tuesday and thanks to your inquiries and responses, I have an idea of what he is looking for. I'm just hoping to hear that the PCL (Posterior Cruceate Ligament) is now stable and revision is not necessary. Like @maryo52 at this point I would rather wear a brace than look at revision. I'm thinking positive thoughts though that the quads have strengthened enough to compensate for PCL looseness. Keeping positive thoughts for you as well. Hugs and Bugs, Dorothy
 
Hi Dorothy, really pleased to hear that some of my enquiries may be of benefit to you too. Also pleased to hear that the ligament alignment assessment isn't as bad as it looks on utube. In the video I saw the PT was moving the knee/leg around as if it were a bit of rubber. I still can't fully understand why I found watching the video so off putting when I didn't flinch at watching the TKR video, which is so much more gory. Its the same when I go to the dentist. The dentist can stick the biggest needle into me and I am cool. But its only recently that I have trained myself not to faint when I have my blood pressure taken !

The weather has been terrible here - all the fault of America sending us wind, rain and tempest. But tomorrow the forecast is good. So we will take advantage of it and go for a walk along the sea front at Eastbourne (on the south coast), and havea couple of drinks. Nothing that special, but it will be nice to get out and not be rained on. Hope your variety night is good. H&Bs Carol
 
Carol, I used to live in Eastbourne and have been wondering how they have been faring in the storms? We lived in Langney Point.
 
Glad your weather is improving. Ours is beautiful but we've been staying in. Jim is working on taxes. Sorry our weather has come your way. Enjoy your seaside walk. Dorotju
 
I used to live in Eastbourne
Nancy, I remember you telling me. You went from one part of GB to the other - dont do things by halves eh. The flooding is very patchy. We've not been to Eastbourne with all the rain so don't known precisely how things are there. There have been no news reports that they are getting it particularly bad. The contrast between Eastbourne and Brighton couldn't be greater. E. is always so clean and pretty. Not so B. How did you adjust to the move - I guess if you are Scottish it was no surprise. Carol
 
Carol, where abouts will your op be on your head. There are some snazzy wide hair bands in the wig/scarf dept in the Macmillan cancer unit I go to, I can't find anything similar on the internet but I'll find a name when I go in 2 weeks, otherwise I don't see why you couldn't try your local one and ask, maybe.
I walked up to the postbox today, I could hear my knee click with every stride, I know the joint moves from side to side, I can make it do it but the surgeon didn't seem to think it was anything to worry about. However, I've been told that I'm walking so little at the moment my muscles probably aren't supporting the knee properly, so like everything else it's a matter of waiting until I can walk more, or at least go out!
Hoping the physio is OK for you, I'm fortunate to have a lovely physio, I saw him when I broke my shoulder and before and after TKR, he is kind and gentle.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom