TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carol Custard, I'm glad you're seeing your dr. on Monday and so sorry that your tight band feeling has not gone away. I hope you get a good physio who will be able to help identify the problem, i.e. scar tissue, just don't let him hurt you. If I could I would jump on a plane and come over and give you a big hug and tell you it's going to be okay. I started to say "kiss your owie better" but that sounded too strange. Right now I've been whining and winging about my left knee. You're right I think about there being some deep bruising because it's very painful and the pain woke me up so I took tylenol and went back to sleep.

@new knee in June, I understand what you mean about being achey. Even after a year my body is readjusting to its new knee, and I do blame the weather a lot. And my newly injured left knee doesn't like the bike, but I will keep on exercising, just have to remember to rest afterwards.

Carol, I will be anxiously waiting to hear what the dr. and physio have to say. Hugs and Bugs, Dorothy
 
Carol, your post above didn't show up until after I posted mine. You have had your "big girl panties" on for some time now (American expression), and it's time to take action. Hugs and Bugs again, Dorothy
 
I really am 4 years old - I just happen to reside in an adult frame.

Wow. That describes me exactly.

BTW I have the tightness in my knee. It seems permanent. But the brace I wear (for lateral instability) completely overrides any sensation of tightness in the knee. And the brace is actually surprisingly comfortable.

Sometimes the tightness (is there swelling too, right at the joint?) is due to synovitis. Some of us end up with that, and when 'they' don't know the cause, it's called it "idiopathic" which I hate because it means the end of the line as far as solving it. Oh well.
 
That describes me exactly.

Now you do surprise me. It just goes to show how wrong our impressions of people can be. I've read lots of your posts, and we've exchanged posts a little. I would never have had you down as a `grown up child'. You always seem so sensible. So tell me Maryo52 what was the last childish/childlike thing you have done?

BTW I have the tightness in my knee.

And your tkr was FOUR YEARS AGO. Do you feel let down? No doubt they said the same to you as they did to me ie, `you will get there, give it time'. I guess they have to be positive, but I feel I was given false hope. I think I could have handled it better if they had been straight with me.

Sometimes the tightness (is there swelling too, right at the joint?) is due to synovitis.

I googled synovitis. It says it is usually painful. I struggle with the word `painful'. It seems to mean different things to different people. I wouldn't say my knee is painful. It feels like it could be a healthy knee if somebody would just undo or even loosen the tight bands that restrict it. If I leave my elastic sleeve off I get a little swelling by the end of the day. The swelling is just below the knee. I suspect I am using my elastic sleeve in the way you use your brace. What's your brace like? Is it a metal device with straps?

Based on total ignorance I have got it into my head that its excessive scar tissue that's causing the tightness. Given the way the NHS works its likely to take several months before I get some answers - if there are any answers of course. If not its `idiopathic' here I come. Carol
 
Does being crabby count? I am treating the precancers on my face which involves applying a chemotherapy cream 2x day for 3 weeks and I'm very edgy. Pitty potties are generally hosted by 4 year olds, and I'm having one now. Sometimes I grow up a little and seize hold of the middle school mentality. It helps me relate to my husband (and sons)!! Mostly it's the tantrums, and I love to tease my very conservative husband.

The synovitis (mine is not painful) and scar tissue can be generated by the same idiopathic process. I like that word idiopathic. Surely it's rooted in "idiot" and "pathological." Anyhow, the synovium thickens and makes excess fluid, and in addition, fibrotic tissue (scar) is also generated. It makes my knee bulbous. It's an inflammatory process but not the same inflammatory process as, say, reddened tissues.

I use an Ossur carticare Oasys splint. As I said, I love it. It was recommended by one of my second opinion orthos and I figure it's protecting my medial ligaments. I was offered a revision but can't see myself going through TKR again unless absolutely necessary.
 
Dearest Carol,
Let me tell you a story about myself....2 yrs. ago I was having a pain in my side...Ultra
Sound reveled many cysts in both kidneys :yikes: One so large when they drained it I lost 4 lbs.
There are no cause or reason for these cysts & my kidney function is fine.
3 doctors told me they don't know why I have these.
I am a seeker of knowledge, I need to know the reason for "Everything" Everything has a reason, right !!
Well not this. I can't believe there is not an answer to my question:hairpulling: It literally drives me crazy.
Moral of my story is....I will find an answer, You will find your answers too :)
We just have to keep on looking :SUNsmile:
I hope this message makes sense to you :heehee:
Sincerely,
Diana:friends:
 
Does being crabby count?
It sure does Mary - welcome to my world:tantrum:

From what I have told you do you have a theory as to what is going on with my knee? Sometimes the more I read the more confused I get. Could it be that it just needs more time or am I kidding myself? I am determined to see my doctor on Monday. I am sick of being fobbed off. Carol
 
I hope this message makes sense to you

Hi Diana, Your message made perfect sense. Like you I do believe everything has a reason. Where things fall down its seems is that humans know a lot, but there is also a hell of a lot humans don't know.


I can't believe there is not an answer to my question:hairpulling: It literally drives me crazy.

there is an answer to your question. Come back in 2, 5, 20 yrs time and it will be clear as day.

Moral of my story is....I will find an answer, You will find your answers too

You're right. And in the meantime there is always `information' :cheers2: (At least there is for me. Its walnuts for you <chuckle>. xx Carol
 
Dear Carol, I feel your pain. See your GP and hopefully get a physio appointment, I expect you have to start ringing at 8am.
What a birthday! Give your 4 year old freedom to have a tantrum but don't lie down, you may never get up again.
@new knee in June Diana we're within 4 days of each other knee-wise, I hadn't realised because I joined BS rather late into my recovery.
I'm glad I had mine done as it was painful 24/7 and I could hardly walk in the end. I can hear the clicking when I walk and it grates too.
Hugs,
Sue.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear you are in such pain, Carol. I am no where near 100 percent, but I am better than I was. I wish there was something I could do to help you. Please let us know how things are going and what you find out.
 
@patient 99
We should start a "Bonesmart" pre-school, somewhere all the 4 yr. olds could get together.
Then they could do this:tantrum: & this :boohoo: & this :hairpulling: & we could comfort them.
Let me know what you think
Sincerely,
Diana:flwrysmile: I want a cookie :tantrum: Now !!!!!!! :rotfl::rofsign::loll:
 
We should start a "Bonesmart" pre-school,

Its been going for quite some while and YOU`Miss Strip Off Naked and Slide in the Snow' are a fully paid up member. As you know very well, as well as the tantrums the pre-schoolers do a lot of this :heehee::loll::rotfl: and very little of this :no-fin::no-fin:. So its not all bad. Now I'm off to get Peter Cottontail for some serious Rock n Roll - Hi Five D'Diana.
 
AND I can be a big 4 year old too!!! Trust me!

Honest??? A Really, really big 4 yr old? What do you think @Dabber @turtle 68 @new knee in June shall we put DS to the test? She never did enter our `Coolest thing you Ever Did' competition. So it could all be a bluff.

The stage is your DS they eyes of BS are upon you.

ps: see how good I am with the tagging since you showed me:friends:
 
The coolest thing I ever did contest? Oh my...Is it a stupidest thing or really C O O L thing? If it is a cool thing then...hmmm...it really will make me and many others :blush: Are you really sure you want to know??? :skep: Okay...here it goes! :doh: You asked for it! :shocked:

My husband was in the hospital with a broken arm which required surgery. This was when we were dating some 34 years ago. I had sex with him in a semi-private hospital room with the other guy so high on his pain meds that he didn't even stir. It was a quickie. :heehee::heehee::heehee::martini::cheers2::martini::cheers2::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom