TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
here are some snazzy wide hair bands in the wig/scarf dept
Hi Sue, clicking knees and sideways moving joints! You really do have to have expert knowledge to make sense of it all. But the good thing is your OS is aware of it and doesn't think its anything to worry about. But its still amazes me the amount of variation in post op TKRs.

Re going out and walking more. Is it still the risk of infection that keeps you indoors? What's your energy level like at present?

I googled Macmillian products looking for something that might work. I was hoping to find pictures of bands and little hair pieces. Nothing!! I phoned the hospital today to find out when I might have the op. They said very shortly. So I guess I will wait and see what it looks like when they have finished with me. I also googled private clinics that claim to restore hair - a bit like Rooney I imagine. But the cost puts it out of my league. Perhaps I need to get a job with Man United as a forward earning £1million a week:heehee: Sue, we could both gets jobs there. Your clicking and sideways moving knee and my log of a leg might distract the others enough that we'd score goals - perhaps not.

Have you noticed there are very few of the old faces left on BS? Carol
 
Dabs, forgot to mention. The tiny spot is about 2inches off the top of my head.
 
Carol, I had a lump removed from the top of my head at Eastbourne General, not cancer though. I nearly rolled off the bed when they said I couldn't wash my hair for over a week. I have to admit , I did wash it sooner....just very carefully!!
 
I did wash it

Hi Nancy
did it have a dressing on when you washed it. I need advice on how to wash my hair without getting the dressing wet. If I can manage that I would feel a lot happier. Dry shampoo has also been mentioned. I've never used it, but I will give it a try.

I'm trying to think back to when we first had our TKRs (memory fades so quickly). Didn't we have some water proof thing that we put on to enable us to shower????? Do you think it would work if I got a waterproof plaster, one big enough to cover the dressing. If I got my husband to help me I could wash my hair without leaning over so the water is less likely to trickle into the dressing. Its gonna be a question of trial and error I suspect, but sometimes you come across somebody who has trod your path and can help. Carol
 
@patient 99
I'll try to look when I go to the Macmillan unit. I have to ask about travel insurance, that's a bridge I don't want to have to start to cross.
I'm just sort of shunting my knee concerns to the back of my brain, no-one will do anything right now anyway, so I'm thinking about asking whether I can have a return visit to the hospital after 1 year and when the present situation is calmer, ringing my physio to ask for strengthening exercises.
Yes, I haven't really been anywhere except round the block since my TKR in May and because of the infection risk since chem started on Nov 2nd. We've had the night in the hotel but I don't want to do that any more until I come to the end of the treatment. I'm likening it to being in prison for 9 months now, albeit with better room service!
Could be worse.
Yes, few of us about now on BS.
 
I'm likening it to being in prison for 9 months now

The mental side of physical illness is so neglected. A friend's son had a terrible road accident. It cost the NHS thousands of pounds to put him back together. They did it. But his brain never worked quite well again. When the family wanted help with occupational therapy they got no where. Seems to make a nonsense of things.

So its been 9 mths now. That's a long time Sue. How do you see things panning out in the future or do you just take each day as it comes?

A minor miracle happened today. I went to the dancing class I used to go to prior to TKR. It was difficult, but the fabulous, wonderful thing was that I managed to stay on the dance floor for the entire hour and managed 90 per cent of the dance steps. I was quite tearful at the end - tears of joy. It was a real milestone. Despite rubber band I DID IT SUE.

I think the fact that you want to know about travel insurance is absolutely great. It means you are NOT GOING UNDER. Lets lighten things a bit. How is your son getting on in his new job? Have you seen your grandchildren lately? You take good care of yourself, and thanks for thinking of my hair problems. xx Carol
 
Carol, I didn't have a dressing just the stitches so just gingerly washed round it with hubby's help. SO pleased about your dancing......see you ARE getting there. Well done!
 
Carol, wow you did your dance class today? What a great accomplishment, I'm so excited for you. I haven't been getting most of my alerts today. I just picked up on your thread from the forum. Sounds like it might not be so bad if you can wash around your wound. Have you read anything on Braindoc's thread? He's a neurosurgeon who just had a TKR. He said something today about the physical, mental, and emotional assaults that surgery places on our bodies. I agree with you that the mental side is so neglected in preparing for this surgery, and also the emotional.

Talk to you tomorrow.
Love, Dorothy
 
Carol, just got back from the Jim and for the 1st time since May I was able to ride the recumbent bike with no soft tissue pain or swelling. This was after walking on the treadmill for 20 minutes, concentrating on that long stride, heel toe bend the knee thing. As far as changing the title to my thread, I am trying to convey that even those with long, slow recovery, there can be a light at the end of the tunnel. I don't think it really matters, though, because I don't get many responses when I do post on my thread. The newbies are all busy talking to one another or asking advice from our expert administrators and advisors, and I can appreciate that, so I will just keep on reading when I have time and posting if I feel I can help.

Hugs and Bugs, Dorothy
 
@turtle68 said `Have you been to the physio yet?'

Hi Dorothy, my GP is arranging it. It will therefore take several weeks. I could make an appointment myself as a private patient, but if I do that it wouldn't be on the NHS, I'd have to pay.

I read a recent post of Bonnie's @RunA42K which said `prior to her revision, scar tissue was growing like a weed' . That scared me. So I might not wait for the GP referral. Once my GP has the physio's report she will consider my request for an OS referral. The tight band was particularly tight today.

Re your changing your thread title. I think you have found it :
light at the end of the tunnel

The newbies are all busy talking to one another
Strange that. Its not how it was for me in the early days. I wanted to talk to folk who had had their ops at the same time as me. But equally I wanted to talk to folk who had had their ops much earlier than me. People from each group had something different, but equally important, to offer me. I also valued the input from BS management, but they have limited time given their numbers v BS member numbers.

For tomorrow I wanted to say: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR DOROTHY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU. :yay::yay::yay: ONE YEAR OLD. xxxx Now you have to make a wish. But don't tell anybody what you wished for, because if you do it wont come true. Hugs and Bugs Birthday Girl.
 
Happy birthday to you, dear Carol, Happy Birthday to you. I know it's tomorrow but wanted to make sure I gave you time to make that wish. Have you done any more dance classes? Just doing one is cause for great celebration. I tried a dance exercise class last week and couldn't handle it. New goal though, one of exercise classes available is Line Dancing? They did a couple of dances in the Cabaret last week and they're really good, and it looks like so much fun, so I'm working on getting in good enough shape to do that. Left, non TKR knee is bothering me more and they're both achy, I think from me riding the recumbent bike, so today its chair exercise and yoga.
Have a wonderful weekend and hope you're able to do some dancing. Hugs and Bugs, Dorothy:dancy::dancy::dancy:
 
Happy Knee Anniversary :happydance::egypdance::spin:
Dancing on your Anniversary, it doesn't get any better than that :yahoo:
Continued success in your recovery,:friends:
Sincerely,
Diana:flwrysmile:
 
New goal though, one of exercise classes available is Line Dancing?

Hi Dorothy, thanks for the birthday wishes. You said the non TKR knee is bothering you. It looked very bruised on the outside, so maybe it is also very bruised on the inside. As we get older these things take longer and longer to heel. Take it steady.

Before my TKR I used to go line dancing twice a week. At first I thought I'd never get the hang of it. But I discovered what is meant by muscle memory. Now when the music plays my feet automatically do the steps without my having to think too much about it. So don't get put off if it seems difficult, it just takes time - and you know all about that :heehee:

@Dabber your phrase `feels like being in prison only with room service', really hit me. You are having to cope with so much. Nobody can really appreciate it unless they have walked the walk. Do remember that EVERYTHING changes. You WILL get the keys to the prison door. All my love. Carol
 
12 months today. The hardest 12 months of my life and still no end in sight. I can pretty much do all of the things I want to but not in comfort. If I was 4 years old I would throw the biggest tantrum any grown up had ever seen. In between the screaming and biting the head off my favourite doll I'd shout YOU LIED YOU LIED YOU LIED. I did the waiting thing. I did everything I was asked to do AND IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. YOU LIED YOU LIED.:tantrum::tantrum: I HATE MY KNEE AND I WISH I HAD NEVER HAD IT DONE.:gaah: AND I AM NEVER GOING TO EAT AGAIN AND THEN I WILL DIE AND THEN YOU DOCTORS, SURGEONS AND PHYSIOS WILL BE SORRY. :boohoo::boohoo::boohoo: But I am not 4 years old.

So back to adult mode. My plan is that I will see my doctor on Monday (no appointment yet, but wild horses will not stand in my way:sos: (sorry forgot I am supposed to be back in adult mode). She will refer me to a physio. I will get the physio to check my knee out for misalignment etc. I will then go back to my doctor and insist she refer me to an OS. I THINK scar tissue might be the cause of the tight band/tourniquet feeling.

Not the happiest 12 month post ever, but I am so fed up with it. If someone told me that wiping custard on my knee whilst dancing a jig would help I'd do it - pretty desperate now. Carol Custard
 
Dear Carol Custard,
:console2:Morning hugs to you. I am glad you are seeing a P.T They can tell if there are any problems
With alignment & what exercises will help you. Do you have a 1 yr. appointment with your O.S ?
I will not lie to you...I will be 9 months next week...my whole body is achey:gaah:Except my knee
But, I feel because I limped for 3 yrs.this is to be expected ( Plus, this weather isn't helping ) cold,
& now rain.
My other knee is achey & I don't want to go to the gym today:tantrum:But, I will, gentle stretching onThe bike.
I always feel loosened up after.
Please keep us informed as to what the O.S & P.T say
Thinking of you:friends:& your 4 year old self :heehee:
Diana:flwrysmile:
 
I will not lie to you...I will be 9 months next week...my whole body is achey

Dear Diana, I feel bad. I feel you are having to take a negative stance so as to make me feel better. That's not how BS is supposed to work. Truth is between you me and the gatepost I really am 4 years old - I just happen to reside in an adult frame. Most of the time its good fun, but like everything it can have its drawbacks.

I feel because I limped for 3 yrs.this is to be expected
You see that is a complete adult view. My take on it would be `I feel because I limped for 3 yrs. that I've paid my dues and it should now be hunky dory':spin:. Diana, its just as well there are people like you in the world. Could you imagine what things would be like if everyone was like me????????? It would fab daby dosy until the fighting started <grin>. Oh hum, we are who we are.

Please keep us informed as to what the O.S & P.T say

Now are you really sure? 'cause I will <grin>. Carol Custard
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom