TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Dabber You asked me to go through how my knee is. Thank you so much. I am so confused and don't know what to do. But I think I have talked so much about my knee that everybody is pig sick of me. But you asked so here goes.

The general opinion seems to be that I should go back and see my OS or even a different OS specialising in revisions. But I am scared to do this. I just keep hoping that with a little more time my knee will be fine. @Josephine told me once that sometimes surgeons will do unnecessary surgery just to keep a patient happy. I would be mortified if this happened to me.

The dilemma stems from my knee being not too bad. If I was in terrible pain or if my knee couldn't take my weight etc. it would be simple. I would have it checked out. But this is not the case. The only problem I have is that I find walking uncomfortable. The tight band sits around my knee and like anything tight its uncomfortable and drains me of energy and curtails what I can do eg. go dancing. Whilst we know that everybody is different, the general feeling is that by 12 months the tight band should have gone.

I think in getting me to explain how my knee is you have helped me to make a decision. I WILL go back and see my GP in 11 days time (12mth anniversary) and take it from there. Thanks Dabs for asking. Carol
 
Lol @new knee in June D'Diana that might be cool. We could twirl around with them in our hands, and "move our body like a Cyclone." :rotfl: Google it Carol. But no jumping up in down :dancy:because Sue @Dabber and I might knock ourselves, or someone else out. :loll:
 
Dear Carol,
Unfortunately, it is true :blush: I would Flash from my front deck, of course after a few :martini:
I haven't drank in 7 yrs. But, if I had to I could.....Still looking good for 54 yrs.old :heehee:
When is the trip on for Jamaica ? I am practicing "Slithering" across the floor:yes!:.....Take Care....
Diana:snow dig: @patient 99
 
Oh dear, I found my Holy Grail, it comes with a price but nothing for a super loo/custom made shoe owner:happydance:
Do you have the shoes yet...photo, photo....:yes!:
You might as well go back and see the consultant, nothing ventured etc....I see mine after a year.
I'm nothing to go by as I wear a hospital quality and colour support hose on my operated leg or it swells and well, swells! My knee is swollen and I have the tight band and it clicks, I do sound like tin man clunking along. I don't think I could walk far. I'm looking forward to regaining some strength and muscle when I finish my regime, I think B is going to pay for a sub to a hotel pool for us.
I can cross my knee but haven't tried to kneel yet, have you?
 
Do you have the shoes yet...photo, photo...

They wouldn't warrant a photo - just a low heel black suede with a strap. I get them on the 19th Feb. If you look closely you can see one is a different shape to the other (to accommodate different shaped feet). If they are comfortable I'll be happy.

It must be very difficult for you to tell just how your knee is progressing given your other issues. Its interesting that you too still have the tight band. You will never know if you would have still had it, had it not been for the cancer. Is there any discomfort/pain with the clinking? Like you I can cross my legs - but I don't. I have never tried to kneel. That doesn't bother me at all. There is nothing I want to do on my knees.

BTW It looks like our Flash Dance 2015 will be in Jamaica, so you better get practicing. Diana @new knee in June will be slithering down walls so if you want to keep up you best get cracking. That goes for you too Dorothy
@turtle 68. Yeah Mon.
 
But I think I have talked so much about my knee that everybody is pig sick of me
Carol, that's not true - it's never true on here. I think what IS true is that you are 'pig sick' of talking about it yourself which is perfectly understandable after all this time. But trust me, we will always be willing to listen and offer whatever we can to help you through.
@Josephine told me once that sometimes surgeons will do unnecessary surgery just to keep a patient happy
I didn't say that, Carol. What I said was that on occasions when a surgeon has done everything else and achieved no improvement, he might feel it appropriate to do a revision anyway and often as not, the problem is resolved. That's not 'unnecessary' surgery.
The only problem I have is that I find walking uncomfortable. The tight band sits around my knee and like anything tight its uncomfortable and drains me of energy and curtails what I can do
Then you do have a problem.
I think in getting me to explain how my knee is you have helped me to make a decision. I WILL go back and see my GP in 11 days time (12mth anniversary) and take it from there.
Good for you! I am very pleased to hear this.
 
I didn't realise that in England you had no follow up appts. Here I was checked at 1 year and will be again at 5 years and ten years. I think that for your own piece of mind it is worth asking to be checked over. Is it not possible for you to phone the hospital directly? When I left hospital they said if anything goes wrong with your knee we want to know about it. I did phone them when it was painful at 6 months and saw the consultant the next week.
 
Then you do have a problem.

Its official then. I've been `giving it more time' for so long I'd begun to think the problem was in my head not in my knee .

Do you think I should go back to the surgeon who did the op or seek a second opinion? When I see a surgeon I will explain that I still have the tight band/tourniquet around my knee which makes walking difficult. What would you advise if he says everything is OK and that I just need to give it more time? Carol
 
I didn't realise that in England you had no follow up appts.

Hi Nancy, Not sure how it works in other hospitals, but the hospital I went to was private. To ensure they get paid by the NHS you have to be referred by your GP. I had decided to wait until my 12 month anniversary before contacting my GP, but nothing is going to change in 10 days so I rang the surgery an hour ago. With a bit of luck my GP might be happy to do the referral without seeing me.

I have lived in hope of things improving for so long, that the above action feels like defeat. I think I have been brainwashed by the phrase `give it more time'. Now that's all I really want to do, even though I think at the
12 month stage time has probably run out. Carol
 
Hello Carol @patient 99
How are you today ? Good I hope :) I quit drinking because my B.P. Meds. Said "No Drinking"
So I didn't. In the Summer I might have a Strawberry Daiquri :martini:I am "COOL" without Alcohol :egypdance:
I want to wish you luck at your 1 yr. appointment :angel:I will be 9 months March 3...I want you to know
I still get stiff :gaah:It seems like the last few months have been the same :shrug: But, I have hope for
Us still:SUNsmile: I don't think anyone wakes up at 1 yr. & says, " I am as good as it gets" Unfortunately, it seems
Like an ongoing process :tantrum:
So, Dear Carol.....chin up & please keep us posted on your Doctors app....We Care :friends:
Thinking of You,
Diana:flwrysmile:
 
Hi Nancy, Not sure how it works in other hospitals, but the hospital I went to was private. To ensure they get paid by the NHS you have to be referred by your GP.

Carol , I was in a private hospital too, although NHS paid
 
I was the same, private through NHS and I've had 6 week, 6 month and will have a 1 year follow up, I think it depends on the consultant. I can also phone the hospital any time for an appointment.
My knee feels as though it's in a clamp. It doesn't hurt when it clicks but it's very audible and I can feel it clicking, I can make it click when I lie down too.
What joy I have now, a very painful clicking shoulder...have to have an X-Ray suspected osteoarthritis, may go after tomorrow's chemo!!
 
.have to have an X-Ray suspected osteoarthritis

Hi Sue, You must sit at home sometimes and say `Why Me. What have I ever done to deserve all this'. Of course the question is meaningless. Its all just luck of the draw. What did the surgeon say about your clicking knee? I've heard it mentioned several times and in the main it seems once you get used to the click its OK.

With all the things you are having to put up with, do you ever find yourself losing your temper? I ask because I did just that today. I'm concerned about my knee. I've got painful degeneration in my neck and then I've got to have a bleeding dressing on my head for several weeks once they remove the skin cancer - how on earth am I supposed to wash my hair? I wont be able to which means I wont be able to go out - hair that hasn't been washed for weeks isn't a good look. So the upshot of all this made me lose my temper.

Here endith the pity party. Carol
 
I am "COOL" without Alcohol
You most certainly are. You have the award to prove it.


So, Dear Carol.....chin up & please keep us posted on your Doctors app....We Care
Thinking of You,

Oh shucks Diana, if you say stuff like that it makes me cry. I've a reputation to keep up. I can't go around blubbing - Carol's the name, Laughter is my game.
 
Oh dear, a good pity party is what we need, with or without alcohol! Oh Carol, we're falling to bits! Does your knee not click?
Do you have reasonable ROM?
You know what though, I have no arthritis pain in the operated knee.....such a blessing as the pain kept me awake at night and it was awful doing anything during the day, I wouldn't turn the clock back to those days.
Sometimes I look at people smoking, eating rubbish food and think.....and yes, I do lose my temper!:tantrum::tantrum:
Sue :friends::console2:
 
Carol, you're entitled to lose your temper now and then. It's just the culmination of everything preying on your mind coupled with pain and worry. As for your hair...it's winter, get a stylish hat! I don't mean to be flippant, I'd gate not to be able to wash mine, the itch would drive me mad. Good luck
 
Hi Carol @Dabber @new knee in June I'm doing fine. Have been tired this week, so I've been exercising in the morning, and then coming home and just mostly reading, doing nothing. I managed to take a good fall in the garage this morning. Fell on my left knee, not the TKR one, twisted my wrist, but thank goodness I didn't break anything. So I guess I've been having my little pity party here too. The weather has been nasty. Has anyone heard from @Bionic woman2 ? The weather in Atlanta is really nasty with thousands of people without power, stranded in their cars, etc.

Carol, I'm glad you're going to the GP and hope you get in with someone to make sure your knee is alright. I made my appointment for next Tuesday, so I will be anxiously waiting for the results. Tuesday, I see the gastro dr. and then will have an endoscopy to find out what's causing my iron loss. Well that's my little rant, so glad I have you all to share all these things with.

Hugs and Bugs,
Dorothy
 
get a stylish hat!
Chuckle. Can you picture me in a bar/restaurant with my STYLISH hat on and mucky hair underneath:heehee: But you're right I will have to do it. May be I will be able to wash the front of my hair (away from the dressing), so it doesn't look too bad.

Nancy, I've just had a thought, perhaps for the time it takes I could pretend to be a muslim woman. Then I could wear that outfit that completely covers head and face. I could have slits cut so that I could see where I'm going and of course there would need to be little slits by my ears so that I could keep my glasses on. Cracked it.:yes!::yes!::yes!:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom