TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
robynhood Hi Pat, Sue Jaki and I can make Covent Garden. How about you? Once I hear from you I will check with everybody as to best date and time. A lunch meet would probably make it easier for us all to get home, but I'll wait to hear what you all think.

Anybody else reading this who would like to come along please let me know - the more the merrier.
 
Great News Jaki. So next thursday. There will be a million and one things to do before and after you move in. Hopefully it will take your mind off your knee, but you are going to have to be very disciplined when it comes to lifting and shifting stuff. You don't want to spend the first month in your new house with your leg in the air. Keep us posted. Carol
 
Hi Carol. I will provisionally say yes but as Gary is a landscape Gardner the months October to February are his quietest months so our income is more than halved I will see how our funds are nearer the time. Hope thats ok.
 
Sue and Jaki, As Pat isn't sure she can make it I wonder if we are too thin on numbers. Also whether a trip to London now may be over ambitious. May be we should leave it for a while? Carol
 
I didnt say a definite NO. Just cant say definite yes at the present time. Will know better in a few weeks.
 
I'm happy to meet up anytime! Before or after Christmas, it really doesn't matter. It would be nicer that EVERYONE felt totally up to it...in the knee department! Maybe doing it after Christmas would give us all something to look forward to when it's wet, raining & Boring :)
 
Hi Carol,

I'm struggling to post at the moment. BoneSmart and my computers don't seem to mesh very well, we have a very poor internet connection here.

Any time is fine for me, we do come to London frequently, or did pre-op. I have my neck scan next week, will feel better when I've had that done, they're treating it as urgent and a Dr is doing it.

Count me in whenever is suitable for everyone else.

Sue.:dancy:
 
I'll try to answer your questions Carol :)

A Dabber is a nickname of unknown origin for a person born in our town which I wasn't, but we've lived here 30 years. I merrily thought of going to the cinema, hmmmm if I get up early, like you, I flag at around 6-7pm so I'd never have made it, neither did I fancy squashing into our son's smaller car and although he's a good driver it can be a bit like a roller coaster going out with him! :spin:I did start to learn to drive, but we had a bad accident when I was pregnant with number 1 child, then came number 2 and one thing after another led to never learning to drive. We've always lived within walking distance of a railway station though, and now we have the bus pass too!!

I saw my consultant yesterday, will update on my thread.

Sue. :cheers:
 
Ladies, as it would be so nice to have Pat along, shall we say we will leave it until she knows for definite. It will also give us just that bit more time for ours knees to improve. Carol
 
Hi all Struggling a bit at the moment. I came to the conclusion that I had nothing new to say so best keep quiet. But I think the truth is that at 2 days short of 7 months my knee has me on my knees.

I am going through a phase I've been through before. I read a thread and start to worry that I have the same problem. Currently its that excessive scar tissue might be hindering my progress. I have no foundation for thinking this. Its all to do with my knee taking such a long time to recover. There is improvement (I think), its just so gradual I sometimes doubt any change is happening at all. Seem to be loosing ROM. I can get it to 120 with gentle exercise, but I can't maintain it. Most of the time its at 90. This makes a lot of things difficult eg, can't sit in the car with my foot flat on the floor. I have to prop my foot up on a cushion. Walking is very slow and all the hardware rubs, pinches and aches. Can't stand in a queue. Had it by 6pm.

The early nights seem to be a way of life, its gone on so long. The journey started in the winter, then spring, summer, autumn.................. I see newcomers joining the Forum pre op, then post op, then making good recoveries then leaving to get on with their lives. I do know that I am not the only one in the slow lane. I do know that some have it far worse than me. I do know I should shut up - which is where I came in.
 
Oh Carol :sad:
Maybe it's time you ask for a 2nd opinion? I feel for you as I know how I'm feeling at just shy of 10 months. However, the last 2-3 days I have noticed that walking the dogs hasn't reduced me to tears :) Don't get me wrong, it's not pain free but I've managed, and that's a huge improvement. Everyday I think " is today the day when it suddenly gets better?" & normally it's not BUT I'm feeling more positive for however long it lasts!
Don't give up hope my friend but try & seek answers. Big hugs, try & stay strong & there's lots of us here for you with a friendly ear to listen...BTW, reckon my ROM is about 100 but I can tell if it's better or worse when I try & walk down the stairs one leg in front of the other :)
 
Hi Carol, you said it all for me, only I'm at 7 months post-op today, and never dreamed I would have such pain at this point. But, we will get there. Today's a better day but I guess that's the way this roller coaster recovery goes. I've been resting most of the day in hopes of feeling better tonight,

Hugs, Carol
 
This would be extremely frustrating for anyone, you have had a long time in recovery and are only human and want answers why it is not better. I am sorry for your hard journey - I think I would be a lot worse than this if I was in your shoes. It is OK to let out the concerns and frustrations - it gives us an outlet and then we can refocus.
 
Carol can you get a second opinion?

I have 1 goodish day out for an hour or three then 2 of elevate and ice. ROM varies enormously as does tackling stairs. Could you get a physio's opinion?

Dabs.
 
Jaki, Dorothy, Sue and all, I have the funniest relationship with BS. I liken it to a teenage girl with boyfriends. Its on, its off, I love it, I hate it. I never want to message or read a message ever again. I can't stop messaging or reading messages. I treat it well, then I treat it badly. It doesn't take a phyciatrist to work out what's going on. I am using BS to express and deal with my feelings - good, bad and downright ugly. The longer my recovery takes the less support there is from family and friends - they are tired of it. But BS takes it all. You people never tire of me. Month after bleeding month. What can I say THANK YOU.

I hear what you say about getting a second opinion. I am reluctant. It would then be admitting something was wrong - head in the sand syndrome? Probably. I just keep telling myself getting to the finish line was never a race. I've spoken to my GP. She may have said what I wanted to hear, but she thinks there is no cause for concern until 12 months. She says she has seen loads of people who have taken that long. She says too many people have false expectations. That if we thought in terms of 12 even 18 months from the outset we wouldn't be so worried, stressed and in despair. Of course, I started playing the YES BUT, GAME telling her of all the others I knew who had had the op on Friday and were back to work Monday. You know how the rest of the conversation went - in short you're not one of them, accept it and deal with what you have. Come back and see me if you think things are getting worse, but so long as you are getting small improvements, stick with it. I am going to do this. I have a whole 5 months left.

Jaki, hearing your latest report on your knee cheered me up so much. I know you're saying its far from perfect, but some improvement - hurrah. Dorothy, your turn next. And Dabs. you seem as if you are making good progress. xx Carol
 
Morning Carol. I am a couple of weeks off my one year anniversary and I can defnitley say the most improvement has been in the last couple of months. It set me back a bit after falling but I'm back on track almost and wake up without pain and go to bed without pain. Realistically thats all I wanted. My ROM isnt as good as others but its enough for me. I've had days like you when I wished I'd never had it done and been frustrated with the lack of progress. We all have times when we get so fed up we leave the forum for a few days then come back and start afresh. None of us knew the journey TKR would take us as I'm sure most of us wouldn't have it done. I really hope the next few weeks will see improvements with your knee, the tight band feeling gets less and your days get longer without pain. And can I just add you are a great asset to this forum, your funny, to the point is always there when someone's feeling down so Thank You for that. Have a great weekend. Sending you hugs (dont get too emotional ) but I think everyone needs them every now and then. :friends:
 
patient 99 how did you get on with your hold ups? I was wondering about buying a new knee brace as my knee is so swollen. I used to use them pre-op.
I agree with Pat, you're a lovely, funny and supportive person.
robynhood that's encouraging to hear about the last lap of the year :yay:
I've had other ops and accidents that I've thought were never going to get fully better, but after a year the problems seemed to melt away.
Have a nice weekend both of you.
Dabs:flwrysmile:
 
Nothing to add except I just appeared to have " Whipped" over to our spanking new BIG Next home & garden store & come home clutching a bag full of goodies for the " new house"! I have to quickly get them packed in a box, seal it & clearly mark it " Bathroom Bits" before Matt gets home :whistle: Happy Saturday everybody! Xx
 
! I have to quickly get them packed in a box, seal it & clearly mark it " Bathroom Bits"

Does every woman in the world do this? Do the men really not cotton on? I once replaced the sofas hoping husband wouldn't realise - and get this girls HE DIDN'T for ages. By that stage it was yesterday's news and nothing more was said. I sometimes think I could have a man in our bed and Mike would say Nite, Nite.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom