TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
the most improvement has been in the last couple of months.
Hi Pat, that's excellent news, and presumably you haven't been doing anything differently - Oh yes you have ie, falling off ladders. That's it Pat you have cracked it. Quickly tell Josephine so she can spread the word. Forget about icing, elevating and resting - Just fall off a ladder it works wonders. How high were you - got to get it right.

Thanks for your words of encouragement. Carol
 
Hi Sue, the hold ups are the single most useful thing I have bought. I couldn't find them in the shops so went on line. There is a company in Latvia of all places that sells them. email : sales@frome They really help to keep the swelling down.

Can't visualise what a knee brace looks/feels like? I have in mind something which is rigid. If correct I wonder how you are able to bend your knee? Carol
 
Sue the email address is incorrect in the above message. It is sales@fromeu
 
Sue this is silly its messing with the email address. Type .com after the above and you have it - hopefully
 
Hi Carol, I'm thinking not rigid but a thick elastic support type thing. I may look in the chemists later.
 
I've found it Carol, thanks. I think I still have my Scholl ones somewhere. I had to wear them before and after varicose vein removal. Are they thicker do you think? How big are the sizes? I'm icing and elevating all the time but the swelling, well I expect it'll subside eventually....best go find a ladder....:groan:
 
Hi all, I'm really glad I checked your thread Carol. I have not been getting alerts and was feeling really lonely here. You said it was my turn next, and Carol, I think I see some improvement an have some hope. The muscle tightness seems to have settled down, my knee only hurts when I walk and it is on the outside right of my knee where I had bone on bone. We went out last night to a comedy club and Jim drove both ways in a raging storm. We're going down to Sweetgrass this evening for an event put on by the "Drama Club" so should be good for some laughs and I always look forward to meeting new people.

Jaki, it sounds like you'e having fun getting ready for your move. The "Bathroom bits" is a good idea. Why didn't I think of that? Of course I had to think about paying for storage for 3 months for all our "stuff". And I'm glad to hear you're having some better moments with your knee. I'm hoping I forget all about my knee as we're moving into our new house. Jim was there yesterday, and it'bricked half way around. Let the fun stuff begin.

Thank you all for your support - I don't know where I'd be without it. As you said, Carol, this is old hat to our family and friends, although my husband has been very supportive and I'm actually glad he is letting me do more now. Have a good weekend. :kittykiss: New I-Pad software -playing with symbols now.

Hugs, Dorothy :kittykiss: :kittykiss:
 
Hey it worked - Love those kitty kisses. :puppysmooze: : and here's a puppysmooze fo you doglovers.
 
Hi turtle68 can I post on Carol's thread just to say, pleased you are feeling a bit better and have a lovely evening, the first of many I hope at the beautifully named Sweetgrass. :angel:
 
Hi Dorothy, You know I am convinced that BS has mood swings. All the posts I've read today are upbeat. Its as if we spread ups (and downs) like a flu virus. We will all have to practice being upbeat and see if we can sustain it.

Two NIGHTS out on the trot and not just for a meal. What's night like? I seem to remember its dark. Four of us went to Eastbourne today. Its on the south coast. It has a great long flat promenade so really good for a non-demanding walk. I made sure I didn't have any porridge for breakfast so that I would be hungry at lunch time. We ate in a thai restaurant in the relatively new harbour area. All the yachts and little boats bobbing up and down on the water. Really nice. The weather wasn't great, but good enough.

After the walk, food and wine I was asleep all the way home. Got indoors and had a further nap. I can now worry about the possibility of having sleeping sickness. I can sleep any time of the day or night - of course the vino doesn't help.

I have just read a post from a newcomer (Glasgow 123). She has had loads of responses to her first post, so there wasn't anything for me to add. But it struck me just how similar our worries are, particularly in the early days. She's worried about doing too much/too little exercise, her ROM, the possibility of MUA, tight band syndrome. Very familiar stuff. So many of us tread the same path. Sometimes I know I have been too stressed to take full benefit from the wise words that have come my way. But Dorothy I am going to try my very best to remember that TIME will sort it for us. xx Carol

ps: Sweetgrass is a great name. Its so cheerful. Let me know how the amateur dramatics night goes.
 
Are they thicker do you think? How big are the sizes

Sue if you go onto their website there are photos of what's available. Google Sell Well SIA. The company is called EU. I also use the elasticated sleeves you can get at the chemist. But I've found that they restrict my bend. So instead of putting it over my knee I wear it just below the knee. I get swelling there and like the hold ups it helps to reduce it. Carol
 
I read the new ladies post, she had lots of responses. I'm just reading Jaki's thread, I've reached the point where I am now and it's so helpful. Swelling is my big issue though. I've got to get those prophilactic antibiotics, I rang the surgery but they said they needed it written down from my consultant. I'm not sure he will, I'll have to see a GP rather than going for a phone consultation. Since the dentist prodded about I've pain on the other side to where I need work.

Your day sounds lovely, seaside, mmmm, Thai food mmmm. We're going to Northumberland for a week soon.

My men are out for 3 days, home for nights so I'm doing lots of icing, elevating and TV, watered the greenhouse to try to encourage the tomatoes to ripen.

Sue.
 
Since the dentist prodded about I've pain on the other side to where I need work.

That's Bad luck, Sue

You say you're going to Northumberland. I think you know I'm from Newcastle. Have you been there before? Where are you going to stay? It has a beautiful coastline - Lindisfarne very atmospheric. But for me its too wild and rugged - crying sea birds and winds. My husband is a southener. We went to Northumberland for a week's holiday a few years ago. Really enjoyed it. He said he couldn't understand a word anybody said. Clearly my accent has softened over the years - except when we're having a row, and then its full on.

3 men in the house! Quite a handful. I hope you have them properly domesticated. You mentioned a ton of ironing. Does that fall to you? I now iron sitting down. The hospital supplied me with a high, sloping seat for the bathroom. It works perfectly for ironing. I also use it when preparing food. People talk about the problems of climbing stairs. My biggest problem is standing still. They fast track me in my local supermarket, but I can't expect that kind of treatment everywhere I go. I never realised just how much queueing we do.
 
No only 2 men, away for 3 days. Son is 22 just finished Uni, but he's out a lot of the time, they're both quiet! At weekends we often have his friends to stay. We live quite handly for town so they come and park here and stay overnight.

We stay in Bamburgh, one of my favourite places on earth, we've been many times, we first went when Will was about 6. I love the wildness, the long beaches and castles. My husband is a Southerner too, I'm from Nottingham. My husband has been retired a few years now. Mostly he's been doing the housework since my arthritis became bad and he'll iron, but leave me anything difficult. Our house needs a good going through and redecorate, I home educated Will for 7 years then became ill with other things and it's been neglected.

I still feel so tired all the time and dizzy, we hoped the pacemaker would take care of that but it hasn't. Quite a bit must be post-op too.
 
I'm from Nottingham.

Shhhh. Sue, Just keep this between me and you. Robynhood thinks I'm a few bricks short of a load - particularly since the mix up between where everyone lived. If you tell her the Chester v Nottingham thingy had some foundation she might add a brick to my small pile.
 
An understandable mix up when 2 of us live in the same place, one has the Robynhood username and the other is the Sherwood Forest girl! What a coincidence is that! :happydance:
 
they come and park here and stay overnight.

I'm sure there are some downs to this, but I would love being surrounded by all the young ones. I think it keeps you young too. Bamburgh is charming. When we were kids we used to go to Craster (where the kippers come from). We used to go to a little tea room, where they served dainty sandwiches on a 3 tier stand. My dad was a builder and didn't get the idea of dainty, so you had to get in quick or they were all gone.

Since the op I've been getting 3 cleaners to do the heavy housework. They come once a month for 3 hours. The cost is off set to some extent by my reduced life style. As I get better I will gradually reduce it -
or maybe not <grin>.

I have had sleepy sickness ever since the op. I messaged asking other people how many hours they slept each night, because I though my 9 hours a night (plus a mid day nap) was excessive. But that's one thing I'm not complaining about.

Its going to be a nice day today. Any plans? C
 
Hi Jaki, Its getting nearer and nearer. There's only so much stuff you can pack up in advance so there will probably be a mad scramble Thursday morning. Are the dogs placid or will you have to give them extra TLC to settle them into their new home. And may be husband too? Carol
 
Morning Dorothy, its 9 am here. I've been very lazy and haven't got the food in for Sunday lunch, so will have to scoot off to the supermarket very shortly. Trying to think what to have for dinner every day is a drag. If I lived alone I would live on jacket potatoes and baked beans. But husband isn't keen on that - picky so and so. If I had loads of money I would eat out every single day. The kitchen would be a no go area. So what to get for today's dinner - can't have spaghetti bolognese again! Think I will do a steak and kidney casserole - just one pot to wash up afterwards.

Got anything planned for today? C
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom