TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carol, no I've never thought of measuring anything, but I can tell it is really swollen today. We went across town for sushi, just got back, and I'm more swollen right now than I can remember in a long time. Guess I've been too busy trying to be "normal".

Toothfairy, thanks for the invitation for Carol's tea at your place. Sounds lovely, and Sue, I'll be over soon for a taste of the tarts.

BionicWoman2, we'll be thinking about you all week and waiting with baited breath to hear how you're doing the "second time around". Mutley, Jaki,? You're really quiet and I understand because I know moving is such a complain.

Ciao, Dorothy
 
Thank you Josephine, I'm really doing almost nothing. I walked today with a walking stick for about a mile, certainly no more probably less, but that's the first time I've been out of the house for days. I think I did overdid it last Sat when I took the train and bus to an open day where I sat, then walked to have coffee, train, car home (I don't drive.) I think we did a small supermarket shop on the way home. Apart from that I haven't been out of the house, except I was driven to GP and then short walk to son's house, car home. I remembered the knee seems to loosen up a bit when I walk so went for the stroll with my husband today.

I'm 15 weeks out and take 2 x paracetamol or 2 x co-codamol 8/500. neither regularly, but I take paracetamol more often, mostly twice a day. Pain is 1-3 regularly, can go to 5-6 if I catch it awkwardly in the night. I did take a single tramadol the other night, and co-codamol 2 x 30/500 a couple of nights later.

Housework, nothing at all, except load washer from time to time, water plants, tidy a little. I made a pudding this afternoon/evening, gave up on first course settled for fish and chips...sent dh to shop. I do virtually no cooking either, shell peas, chop courgettes/beans, pick veg in garden, Dh does everything.

I ice about 2-3 times a day, elevate on 3 pillows toes above nose, midday, afternoon and before bed.

This knee has always swollen, 2 arthroscopies, draining, steroid injections, made no difference. The other knee had no swelling since it's arthoscopy 2 or 3 years ago, it's really neat, yet it was the one that always swelled up originally.

What I felt was that it is time I started do do a little more, gentle walking, a bit of housework. I've done very little because of the pacemaker implant in addition to the TKR, unable to lift L arm high for 3-4 weeks, or carry anything heavy, still taking it easy with arm.

Oh physio, I only had an appointment once in Aug and one due on Sept 24. In Aug everything was great and could have been discharged, opted for another appointment. At home, exercise bike up to 10 mins once a day but not every day (not today with walk), heel slides and stretches once a day, tiny squats and lunges if I remember, only 5 of each.

I spend most of my time reading, watching films, talking to family, mundane stuff.

I think I have had a rather nasty viral infection, I saw the GP on Tuesday thinking it was a swollen thyroid (had been sent for blood tests from cardiology), GP has requested ultrsound scan asap but felt quite poorly for a few days.

I can't really do any less than I do. I think it was that Sat and then a viral infection on top of pacemaker surgery on top of TKR.

Any advice will be most gratefully received. Thank you.
 
Sue, glad you're taking it easy. All those things going on will really take it out of you. It took me about six months to get used to the pacemaker all the while having other things going on. Sounds like your venturing out last weekend was a bit too much. I'm at 7 months out and have joined the ODIC once again.

Dorothy
 
Hello to all you lovely ladies :) Just to say I am still here, hanging on with gritted teeth so to speak. Dorothy your right, a bit overwhelmed with all this packing up your house business. It is TEDIOUS so I keep thinking about what I should be doing, then planning to do it...but it doesn't always get done :sad: Time is rushing by with loads to do still. However, 2 of my girls & they're partners want to come down &
" help" next weekend, so for once, instead of being a martyr I've actually said yes, come on down & help get the cooker cleaned & kitchen scrubbed etc! Hopefully that will take the pressure off me ( and my damned leg) and I'll just have a last quick hover & polish before we shut the front door for the final time...IF WE EXCHANGE!
Just answered Carol on my thread & said I've been to the cinema tonight...and it was agony :boohoo: I so nearly got up & walked out but remained where I was until the end. Even sitting here now on my iPad my knee is SCREAMING at me, well actually, it's the bone directly below the knee cap, so I know I'll be in for a rubbish night tonight. It was to late to take an Amitryptiline tablet to help me sleep so maybe I should use this time...to PACK...OR CLEAN!
 
s going to Skype. She'll hold up her ipad so we can watch the operation and comment.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Yeah, Ok :rofsign:


Hey my UK ladies, I thought about you guys today while I was out enjoying my last few days before the "Lock-down."
[Bonesmart.org] Everything Comes to She Who Waits
 
@Bionic woman2 is going to Skype. She'll hold up her ipad so we can watch the operation and comment.

Sue, this made me chuckle. But you know I bet we aren't that far away from such things. I pity the OS who has Josephine on the other end of the Skype camera - she'll make sure he watches his p's and q's.
 
Just to say I am still here, hanging on with gritted teeth so to speak.

Your despair is tangible. You try so hard to get on with life and do the usual stuff. I am hoping that your new GP will provide the answers and solutions that you so need. Jaki, Do register asap. Do it for me. All the time you've lost your mojo I SUFFER - and you KNOW we can't have that. Carol:friends:
 
With my diabetes I pay just for thinking about. Too many choices and everything would say try me. Even a good bran muffin with cream filling, no pineapple, lots of raisins would be nice.
 
Mutley that is good you've got help coming. It must be so difficult, you have my sincere sympathy.
:console2:
 
With my diabetes I pay
Hi I think there may be a problem. You seem to be responding to another thread in my thread. Its not in the least a problem for me. Just thought I'd mentioning it, so that you get your messages going in the right direction.
 
Pain is 1-3 regularly, can go to 5-6 if I catch it awkwardly in the night.

There's a lot going on for you Sue. When my neck ache was at its worst I felt having 2 things to cope with pushed me to the limit. But your limit seems much greater than mine. I thought it funny that we were comparing knee sizes. Once upon a time we would have been comparing bust sizes. How things change.

I've noticed when I am in the kitchen and I have to turn this way and that - going to the fridge, getting stuff out of cupboards, that I don't turn in the usual way. Instead its mechanical, like a toy soldier. Clearly the knee is sending the head messages that it doesn't like twists and turns. I'm going to have to try and break that habit. What do you reckon a couple or three of stiff whiskies and some reggae music to loosen me up? C
 
Hi Dorothy, I was thinking about what you said about being in bed at 8.30 when down town Houston was just starting to rev up. Sometimes when I'm in bed I lie there thinkingabout what's going on outside - parties, dancing, babies being born, people dying........... And there I lie tucked up with my cocoa and the tele. But I think to myself that it was never always thus and I will get my life back some time.

I've just noticed that the BS machinery has realised that I've gone from 65 years to 66 years. Its adjusted it. I had thought just to leave it where it was - but machine say NO. The older I get the harder I have to try. I'm getting a new pair of specks - something modern and I've had my eyebrows shaped and tinted. I'd never go down the plastic surgery route - voluntary pain NO THANKS . The knee has posed some challenges. I am not sure I could wear a shoe with a little heel, and flat shoes don't look good with most clothes. I tried some ballerinas yesterday, but they are all too narrow. I looked online for made to measure shoes, and quickly put it out of my mind - around £2,000. Really will have to get something sorted as christmas will be here before we know it. If TF grants wishes (see toothfairy's thread) I'm going to ask for a pair of six inch stiletto heeled shoes that are really, really comfortable. What about you, what would you wish for? Carol
 
Hi I think there may be a problem. You seem to be responding to another thread in my thread.

I think she's talking about the Taste of Britain store front pic that I just plopped in the middle of your thread. I apologize for that. I saw a bunch of folks on here form the UK and thought this was as good a place as any. I was gonna put it on my thread and tag people, then I realized that I's be tagging for days. :heehee: I think I'll just post it there anyway, so fell free to remove it.

Oh, I agree that we are heading to EVERYTHING BEING PUBLIC. Even going to the BATHROOM will soon be followed on Twitter. :rotfl:

Let me know how those 6 inch stilettos work out, I can use a pair for special occasions, like going back to the Dr's office after I've broken my neck! :headbang: Thank God I was born with a 6 inch heel included in my frame. It's a blessing and a curse. Definitely limits the dating pool, but whaddaya gonna do :shrug:

I too do the robot in the kitchen, but now it's because I have my Cryo machine attached to me as I cook. :heehee:

Hope you have a kneeeasy day :flwrysmile:
 
patient 99, I am so sorry, It was to the picture from @bionic women.
 
Carol, I think I'd go for 3 minch heels at the most, and opened toed of course, As it is I have a difficult time finding shoes because my feet are vey narrow. Did manage to stay up to 10 p,.m. last night, watched "Emperior". It was a pretty good movie and I did manage to get comfortable with my wedge for elevation, ice and a Norco. Just going to hang out oday, watch the Texans game, and do a litle reading. Post a picture of your new specs wgeb you get then. I'm way ovedue so want to see what's stylish in the U.K.

Hugs, Dorothy
 
You guys crack me up! We're like a bunch of AWOL Bonesmartie " disappointed" at present members who keep chipping in on each others threads, or anyone else's for that matter but we don't give a s***/sausage! Makes it more interesting talking about bran muffins, Cinderella's slippers, "moving or not moving" Dorothy's friendly swinging in the pool community, Carol doing Emu impressions with her sore neck & every so often some one like Rest Assured will shed some much needed wise advice :) ...and then Mutley starts whining again, Carols support tights have gone baggy, Dorothy has ordered furniture too big for her new home, Dabber is thinking 7 months post op sounds good & everyone else thinks " Get a grip ladies"!!! Cheers to you all because believe me when I say you make it worth trying another day just to see if it might be that little bit better.... :flwrysmile:
Guess who's got the job of doing a 2.30am Gatwick Airport drop off? Better go to bed in a minute....!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom