TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Carol,

Well it's Friday night at 8:15 and I've had an active two days and guess what I finally had to take a pain pill and go to bed. Just can't get comfortable anymore today. I think I've been up and down the stairs too many times, How are your chairs working out? I think I need a new ergonomic chair as my back hurts as well as the back of the knees.

Here I am in the midst of "Midtown" and the partying hasn't even started yet. Of course I wouldn't be out there anyway. Houston is a very young, partying town, and I wouldn't be out there anyway.

Mutley, I hear your frustration. We had no communication in the selling of our house, and since the buyers were immigrating from Canada, it was and long and involved process.

Goodnight all, Hugs Dorothy
 
Hi All, curiouser and curiouser.
My tight band is all over the knee i
This sounds more like a sleeve than a band. I wonder what Josephine makes of these differences. Pat, yours sounds like mine. At what stage did your band loosen off?

robynhood Pat, So sorry to hear about your fall - climbing ladders and doing decorating!!! When you said you were going to contact your OS I thought I was reading a message from America. MY GP acts as a gatekeeper. First GP, then WAIT until hospital appts. sends you a letter.

and there's a communal changing room

This hotel sounds a bit dodgy to me. How come you know of it? The very thought of communal changing rooms - I mean a male might see MY SCAR. Sue, I'm off for a cup of tea to get over this. Carol
 
Good morning Carol,
I swim in a local hotel, lovely pool, communal changing rooms but separate one for ladies and for men. There is a small private changing room if you choose to use it. I don't usually bother as the changing room is usually pretty quiet and often only me there. I swim there because it is a nice pool and much cheaper than swimming in the public pool.
Of course anyone in the pool may well see my scars on my knees as I walk from the stairs into and out of the pool but I don't care.
In my view if you don't like them don't look. I am a shameless woman.
Now I have further traumatised your Saturday how are you doing?
It's a pity the kitchen chair wasn't for you but the other one sounds a bit more hopeful.
Have a lovely weekend,
Toothfairy x :heehee:
 
I was told after the op not to go to GP if any problems but to contact the hospital directly. That's what I will do but it does seem much better today.
 
Mine has a lump at the top of the scar to one side that the PT said would go down, it is reducing. I suppose that creates a bit of a dent above it.
Both my knees are tight and painful today, the operated one is more swollen today than it was at 6 weeks, Dh says perhaps the OS will drain it, I expect he'll suggest more celebrex. I haven't done anything at all, been so lazy it's silly. The knee feels as though it's in a vice. Bit worried in fact. My knee was always very swollen pre-op, it just never went down after 2 arthroscopies.
 
Ha ha, there's male and female changing rooms, but there's the young "Cheshire Set" who use the hotel and they do child classes and fitness, but not oldies fitness, fitness for those who don't need it. You have to buy a 10 pool session and night in the hotel package, there's no hotel where you can just go to swim, AND it's almost in the next country....Wales, so a long drive.
Sue:umm:
 
Sorry Sue, when you said` communal' you meant all the women together not all the women and men together. Well that's alright then.

You said your knee felt like it was in a vice. Mine too. I've just come back from the supermarket. I am sure it was harder getting round today than 2 months ago, but my husband says he can see an improvement. I just wish I could feel an improvement.

Its hard to keep the worry under control, particularly when you don't get regular check ups, or any check ups for that matter. All you have to tell yourself is that this thing takes time. You HAVE to believe it. Your op was such a short time ago. Don't judge yourself against the lucky people who make quick recoveries. And don't whatever you do get down listening to my tales of woe. Because even though I am not there yet, I can't afford to buy into the idea that I never will.

Sue, I've written the above as if I am giving you encouragement. I am. But I am also giving myself encouragement. And Dorothy and Jaki and Pat and anyone else who thinks they aren't getting there fast enough. I've made myself cry. What a softy I am. Just had a blow of my nose. Sorted. Carol
 
Hi Toothfairy, I've never been able to swim, and its never been an issue up until now. I used the hospital hydrotherapy pool for a while, but because I couldn't swim I missed out a lot. They had lots of rings and gadgets, but I was still very nervous. I now regret that I never learned.

It depends on the company I am in as to whether my scar and swollen, misshapen knees bother me. There was no problem in the hospital pool. But, to be honest, if my knees just worked properly I now wouldn't care what they looked like or who saw them - except for Suspiciously Elvis who I fancy. Carol
 
Hi Carol, No need to be able to swim in my hydrotherapy pool. Theree are rails all around and no fancy gadgets. He just had us walking forwards, then backwards, marching in place, side kicks, and jumping jacks holding on to the rail on the side, with a couple of noodles for support. This is the first time I've been in water therapy without all the fancy gadgets.

Feeling like my knee is quite swollen this morning, so resting, and elevating for awhile, already had my cry and hugs from husband, then I'm going to get up and get going. Like you, I think mornings are the hardest.

Hope you're having a good day. I liked your post to Toothfairy. Tea and eclairs sounds lovely.

Hugs, Dorothy

Hugs, Dorothy
 
I decided I wasn't walking enough, so I dragged Dh out along the canal walk, ARGH. It's about a mile on the short round route; elevating and icing now. I'm thinking surely the consultant won't discharge me with knee so swollen, whole leg was aching whilst walking.
Carol, I feel your sorrow. We'd be so alone without BoneSmart. I've given up telling other ppl outside the family, they think I should be a lot better by now.
I was asked about Christmas, I thought hibernation sounds about right.
Sue :sleep:
 
Hi Dorothy turtle68 you are welcome for tea and eclairs too, and you Sue Dabber
All are welcome to Carol's tea party at my house. :thumb: maybe I should check with Carol first :what: :whistle:
Sorry to hear your knee is sore and swollen Dorothy, hope it will soon settle.
That was a long walk Sue, hopefully the ice will make you more comfortable. Did you enjoy the walk while you were doing it?
Looks like a wet and stormy day tomorrow so lots of rest, Ice and elevating on the agenda.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend,
Hugs to all,
Toothfairy x :SUNsmile:
 
It's a nice walk, there are moorings and we fantasize about having the time and energy to have a canal boat. There were elderberries I've got my eye on too.
Came home, iced, elevated, erm went to sleep! I'm now slowly making pastry, I've done so little cooking recently but we grow such a lot of fruit and veg I decided to make a couple of tarts....a plum and a tomato.
 
No need to be able to swim in my hydrotherapy pool.
It was just that I wanted to get both feet off the bottom - just float on my back perhaps, but I always had to have at least one foot to stand on. One pool exercise I particularly liked was where I'd put an inflated ring around my ankle and just let it left my leg to the surface - great for stretching.

Dorothy, have you measured both your knees before and after swelling? My right measures 38.5 cm (15.2 inches) and my TKR measures 40.5 cm (just under 16 inches). My right knee has a bony arthritic spur which increases its size.
For me most of the swelling is below the knee, not a lot, but I can see a definite bulge, particularly when I'm wearing dark stockings.
 
Second time round I will know what to expect, and it fills me with dread
Totally feel you on that... I'll let you now how much of the dreading is necessary, once I'm on the on here side of knee two. :scary:

I too made my knee the center of my life. I like your new take on just it. Just "Let it Beee, Let it Be-ee..." :whistle:

Sounds like you're gonna be a little DANGEROUS when you do get your knees back, with all that... Quick Quick, RUB RUB RUB. ^.~ That must be a new partner dance. Sounds right up my alley. :egypdance:DO share the name of it. :heehee:
 
Hi Bionic Woman, just checked my calendar. Gosh, you only have 4 days to go. Don't forget to take Ipad or laptop to the hospital. Toothfairy was chatting to us when she was on the operating table. The OS had to tell her to pack it in. Very best of luck. Carol
 
Mine today are 15ins...L and 16 3/4 RTKR. I have a swelling to the outside top and inside bottom. I can just see sad faces on Wed at my appointment.
Bionic woman2 is going to Skype. She'll hold up her ipad so we can watch the operation and comment.
Sue. :yes!:
 
My tight band is all over the knee in the operated area, like the knee is encased in a wide rubber band over the actual bend part of the knee joint. It's about the full length of my scar that's 7ins long. Above that my muscle is still rather flabby, I should exercise it more
Dabber these things are NEVER made better with more exercise. I'm going to ask you my usual questions

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine)


2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?


3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?


4. how high are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?


5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and


6. what kind of PT are you doing? How much and how often?


I'll be back! :wink:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom