TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Dorothy, I am trying an experiment today. Yesterday my knee got very bad, couldn't walk or bend it. Just had to take to my bed - again. This morning it wasn't too bad. So the night's rest must have helped. Based on this I'm taking it really easy today. Doing practically nothing - no exercise, no going outdoors, very little walking indoors. I want to see what, if any, difference it makes. The risk is that it gets very stiff, and I have to spend days trying to unstiffen it, but its got to be worth a try. Bye you'll. Carol
 
Well, that's a new one. Carol! :snork:

But we are getting a lot of weird bugginess on the forum at the moment because it's due for an upgrade which that back room boys are currently working on. We don't have an upgrade date yet but I am hoping (praying!) it will be soon.
 
Its 1.45pm My experiment (whereby I do nothing but rest my knee), is rapidly getting VERY boring. And knee doesn't feel that much different to how it normally feels - bloody terrible. I might abandon experiment and head off to the disco tonight .
 
We love our memory form mattress. Here at our daughters, we bought a memory foam topper so that helps a lot. Our new one is dual control, king so we each have ou own little twin mattress. 2 more months and we'll be sleeping in that again.

Going to water therapy this morning, so I am looking foward to that. I googled this posterior cruceate ligament "injury" I have, and it is a long recovery, with surgery being a very last resort. It seems to be doing better, althouh sometimes when it swells, it feels like I'm carrying a gallon jug of water inside my knee. I did find one of my lost compression sleeves in a bottom of a handbag. Must of had too much wine at that pool party.

And, Sue, I know that lonely gap. I usually don't get bored or lonely but with all this moving, and having to rest, I am glad that we are at our daughters and at least can help them out. They lead such hectic, stressful lives, and I'm glad right now we get to see them at least coming and going.

And Carol, I've also used the pillow to rest my heels against. Last night I couldn't get comfortable because of my back so I used my wedge to elevate and just slept on regular pillow. Oh the things we have to do.


Hugs, Dorothy
 
Hi Carol,

The firm is Osmond Ergonomics.
How are you today?

Sue.
 
Hi Dorothy, how did you find the water therapy? Please to hear that your injury will hopefully get better without the need for more surgery. That's the last thing you want. You've mentioned this water on the knee before. I wonder how common it is. Something I wanted to check out with you and Sue Dabber. When sitting down and you run your hand over your leg (the part just above your TKR), does the thigh feel flat or slightly indented? Mine feels like there is a 2inch band running across my thigh. When my knee is tired the band seems to get tighter and I can feel the indentation more.

I'm not too bad today, thanks. The results of my experiment are that if I rest up a lot during the day my knee is OK until much later in the evening. Its logical I suppose. Carol
 
Hi Carol Mutley

Jaki, feeling unloved? not by us I hope. I find BS is acting very strange today. Haven't been getting alerts or e-mails, and I actually posted on my own thread for a change.

I sure hope this water therapy helps. I mentioned on my thread that I told the guy right up front that I would tolerate no pain. I think I scared the heck out of him because he was very nice and kept telling me to take it easy. Funny thing, there was four of us in the pool, and we were all rotating on the same exercises, so I don't think it was very customized. I feel okay, but I'm resting, and icing now

Jaki, how are you doing? Still packing? We have pre-sheet walk through tomorrow. We were there yesterday, and it's looking good. Two more months, can't wait. Just doing a day at a time trying to keep my head on straight.

So Carol, if resting during the day helps you feel better at night, are you going to keep up with that program?That's what I do but only because it's too hot to do anything else. I don't like daytime t.v., so read, pick up, and putz until the evening and then I think whew, I made it through another day. Of course something like the Ben and Jerry's Liz Lemon frozen yogurt really helps. (just had some).

Hope you're having a fun filled evening, here I am just waiting for the sun to go down.
 
I'm feeling very un-loved...

You are a complex cookie, Miss Jacqueline. Its hard to gauge where you are at. Much of the BS messaging is airy in content and you so need concrete answers (eg Welch thread). But whatever, SO pleased to hear from you. In fact, if no one is looking, you can even have a BIG HUG. Feeling a bit better?
 
Would it be worth getting a neck brace thingy to keep your head straight?

If that's all it will take I'll have a dozen. What about your head? Not getting much sense of excitement emanating from the prospect of your new house. I wonder if Welch's OS tells her anything that might be of help to you. I am getting the impression that you think more rest might be the answer? I rested yesterday, just as an experiment. It showed that my leg can cope for a certain number of hours before it complains bitterly. So if I want to do evenings I have to rest up during the day. Is there any way out of the 2 hours a day dog walking just to see what happens (even if its just for a couple of days? ) Carol
 
Hi Dorothy, I wont be repeating my experimental day whereby I rest up. It was just too boring. I will just try and pace myself so that I can get as much out of the day as possible. I am trialling my new office chair which came today. The back is elasticated mesh that moves with me. Its early days, but so far so good.

Even if the pool therapy isn't customised it may still be very useful. I think you are right to give it a fair try before making any decisions.
 
Hi Carol,

I can't say that I have that feeling across the thigh that you described.

I wish the tight band feeling would diminish a bit and the stiffness. I suspect I could do with walking more, but it's raining and I'm afraid of slipping.

My knee doesn't like alcohol, it swells up the next day after we've shared a drink!

Do you have a TV in your room, I enjoy catching up on recordings whist I'm resting.....TV downstairs tends to be male dominated!

Mutley I'm reading your thread. :)

Sue.
 
...I wouldn't do that Sue, it might depress you :sad:
 
Hi Carol and Mutley

I'm with you on that plan. It's just too boring to "rest all day". Water therapy I think is going to be good. I'm feeling great today, of course I've been wearing the compression knee sleeve and we've been out and about most of the day. Carol, you asked how my knee feels when I'n walking. If it's swollen after I've been on it for a while, it feels like there's a 1/2 gallon jug floating around in my knee. If it's not swollen, it feels a little loose, which it is according to the doctor. And when I go up the stairs I can feel this "posterior cruceate ligament moving".

Jaki, I hope you're feeling full of warm hugs by now. Isn't moving fun? We just came back from a meeting with our buiilder, and he said the house would be done at the earliest, 6 November, or at the latest 20 November. Did I get that right? And , Jaki, as Carol said I don't hear anything about the status of your move.

Carol, have you looked on the internet for gentle, specific exercises you can do for your neck, and it might not be bad to wear a brace while you're hurting.

Hope you all have a good weekend. We may go to a comedy club tonight as I think we all need a good laugh. Both Deb and Janel are in that high stress mode, one back to work as a physics teacher, and the other a researcher at Texas Heart Institute, so they definitely need to relax. So glad those days are over for us.

So Hugs to y'all. Dorothy
 
Carol I think Welch has taken off :sad: I was hoping she might post an update after seeing her OS but haven't seen anything yet. Sue/Dabber reckons her knee doesn't like a drink but have to say mine LOVED a couple of lunchtime cheeky beers & managed the afternoon walk without too much discomfort :cheers: Was hoping we might have exchanged today...wrong :sad: My solicitor said she would "chase" the others in the chain to see if they too were ready. Rang this morning to say theses above & below weren't ready. Strange???? Our buyers have been ready for ages & they're deposit has been received by my solicitor. My seller then rings me to say what's the hold up as his solicitor hasn't heard a peep out of mine... :gaah: To say I'm rather pee'd off is an understatement. Would have been nice going through the weekend thinking we had exchanged & crack on with the remaining jobs that are left to do...Hey blooming Ho....
 
Post disappeared....I said...How annoying, Jaki!
 
I can't say that I have that feeling across the thigh that you described. I wish the tight band feeling would diminish a bit and the stiffness.

So, how would you describe your tight band? I get the sense that we are using words which we think mean the same to us all, but they don't. What I was describing previously is what my tight band feels like. Not only can I feel it, but I can see it ie, it causes my thigh to indent they way string does on a parcel.
 
My tight band is all over the knee in the operated area, like the knee is encased in a wide rubber band over the actual bend part of the knee joint. It's about the full length of my scar that's 7ins long.
Above that my muscle is still rather flabby, I should exercise it more, I will do the physio exercises but I hate sport and exercise in general so I'm not great on doing any extras.
I wish we had a pool for water therapy, but apart from joining the general public there just isn't one and I don't fancy the local pool with it's ladder to get into the water. There is a hotel but it's quite a long way off and you have to buy swims at about £10 a session (for 2) and there's a communal changing room, and the poolside is rather slippery.
 
Carol I know exactly what you mean. Mine definitely goes in just above the knee. When I feel it it is quite indented. The only part of my knee that troubles me on my left knee on the outside just at the bottom. It is still very swollen there from my fall so I might give my OS a ring Monday morning if it isn't any better. Im sure you can't damage the actual replacement but something dosent feel right
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom