Guest viewing is limited

TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carol,

I think you're right. It seems since I was 24 and my back trouble started I have had different problems. I'm the youngest of 8 and at least spent a lot of time staying in shape so I wouldn't be crippled like my mother. And it has worked. I have a friend who has never had surgery in her life, and she refuses to have knee replacement. She is 78 and is off to Colorado for "stem cell therapy" for her knee. It's totally unproven but I know it's very difficult for her because she has physically led such a blessed life. I hope it works for her.

And TF is correct, anyone who has knee replacement is very brave. I used to do research on any medical thing I was going through, but didn't do a lot on the TKR. I just know I'm better off for having it done.

You asked about my exercise program. I've been doing the home exercises, and I wanted to ask Josephine about them. She gave me three sets of 10, 2x day of clamshells, quad squeezes, and squats, getting up and down out of the chair. I'm at almost 7 months post op with some loosening around the PCL (not at the tibia), and I just wanted Josephine's advice if that is too much. Per the doctor I'm also doing leg raises with my leg turned out to the right and as many leg extensions with my knee on a rolled up pillow as I can do. I start aqua therapy on Tuesday, so looking forward to that.

Carol, It sounds as though you're feeling better today. I spent this morning engaging in a short pity party but iced, took 1/2 norco and ready to get on with day.

Dorothy
 
Just out of curiosity is there anything in particular that is making things a bit easier for you right now? Carol

Hi Carol I was lucky enough to find BS well before my first TKR so was very well informed before my surgery.

Things that have made recovery 2 easier, hmmm, all the support from my BS buddies, being more relaxed about the whole thing having been successfully through the recovery before. I have settled quickly back into recovery mode and happily go to bed at 8:30pm and stay in bed till late morning. Having had 13 weeks away from work last time I am expecting similar this time so I am not in any rush to do anything. I am quite content to sit and read and watch TV and of course chat on here.
Added to that is the fact that this surgery has been less painful ( I don't know why) and I am feeling better sooner probably due to different drugs at the hospital.
I was much fitter going into the surgery this time as I have been doing regular exercise for the past four-five months, maybe this has helped too.
I think I have also been incredibly lucky.
Hello Dorothy turtle68 I think having a pity party is par for the course after this surgery. We all,have our moments. I hope you are feeling better now. :)
Toothfairy :) :happydance:
 
I had back surgery in 2005. My body is riddled with osteoarthritis, and my scar is one inch long. My dr. Did a miminally invasive technique, that has been wonderful! I had the sciatic nerve crushed between the two vertebrae and he fixed it! No more pain! :happydance:
 
I think everybody on here knows I am no fan of over-enthusiastic therapy. There is always a place for it but exercise for exercises sake? Not on your nelly! I have also observed tendency that when exercises cause a pain or tendinitis, the answer is MORE exercises which is such a bad idea, sometimes I could cry! Any pain I have ever had I have always treated with the 'mantra' and usually such aches and pains have abated pretty quickly. If they don't I do my second method which is a visit to 'magic hands' Greg, my chiropractor. A couple of weeks ago I had a pain/tendinitis in my left shoulder that made it impossible to even dress myself! I took pain pills and used my TENS and it faded a bit but then came back with a vengeance. Saw Greg and after a 15 minute session, it was 60% gone. Next day 100% gone! The proof is in the pudding!

And Carol, I am with you regarding the cervical spine surgery - actually in regard to any spinal surgery. I wouldn't let a surgeon within several miles of any part of my spine with a scalpel for anything! I have scrubbed for innumerable spinal surgeries in my time and have known any number of people who have had it done. The results are pitiful and the possible - real possible, not theoretical - complications are enough to scare you senseless. :scary: No thank you!
 
Hi Dorothy, I found that the clamshell exercise has caused me an ongoing problem. I doubt that I had ever exercised that muscle. I started doing the clamshell, it was hard but not painful at the time. But later I got a pain at the very top inside of my leg. The sort of pain that suggests a pulled muscle. I don't think its anything serious at all, and now that I've topped doing clamshells it is gradually going away.

Sometimes I think PTs etc forget. They think they are dealing with fit young things whose muscles are strong and elastic. May be if I had worked up to the clamshell, very gradually, it would have been OK, but of course I started from zero doing 10 twice a day. Wrong.

For what its worth you're exercise programme seems a lot to me. Do be careful. Also the aqua therapy is good, but its so easy to overdue things. The water takes the weight and lulls you into a false sense of security. Its good in moderation.

Its so confusing isn't it. All we want to do is what's best for us. One man's medicine is another man's poison. Carol
 
happily go to bed at 8:30pm and stay in bed till late morning.

Reading this has really pleased me. I get all sorts of illogical things into my head sometimes. Being in bed is the one place where I am really comfortable and I sleep soundly. Instead of being pleased I worry that I am spending too long in bed. I've got it into my head that my whole body will deteriorate if I spend more than 8-9 hours in bed. Its seems excessive. As my knee gets so tired I now go to bed very early, which means that I force myself to get up at 5am or 6am depending on the time I went to bed. This wasn't too bad in the summer as it was light, but the winter!

Of course I know you are fresh out of hospital and I am nearly 7 months ahead, but tomorrow morning when I want to lie in I will say `TF is having a lie in so I will too'. turtle68 Dabber Dorothy and Sue how long do you normally sleep for? Carol
 
Ha ha, it's 2pm and I'm in my dressing gown!! Actually I sleep either quite well or really badly, but hardly ever do I fall asleep before midnightish and it has been 4am sometimes post op. I've been finishing reading a novel this morning and I had breakfast brought to me in bed.:happydance:
After going out on Saturday my knee swelled up and went rigid as bad as 5 weeks post op. It's still swollen and inflexible.
I don't ever get up early unless I'm really worried about something.
Say though if you get up at 6am and go to bed at 8.30, I'll be getting up at 8am and going to bed at 10.30.
Sue.
 
Good question. I was awake at 6:30, bathroom run, them back to sleep until 7:30. Upstairs for coffee and paper, now back in bed icing, and elevating. I'd love to sleep in until 9:30 or 10:00 but I'm usually in bed by 9:30 - 10:00 so that's a bit much.

Carol, sage advice about the therapy. My knee is throbbing, so no more clamshells, and per the advise of my husband, I'm only going to exercise at all every other day. I think I'm getting a lot of PT just going up and down 16 stairs several times a day plus any running around. I was on the go all day Saurday, from 9:30 a.m. and didn't get home until about 10, plus did exercises twice, so must have overdone it a bit.

Going to take it easy today, read, do a little laundry, and relax. Have a good day y'all, as they say in Texas.
 
Hi Dorothy, Sue

After going out on Saturday my knee swelled up and went rigid as bad as 5 weeks post op. It's still swollen and inflexible

This still happens to me. At first it used to freak me out. I was messaging everybody in total panic. It still happens, but my head has got used to it. I don't panic any more, I just get depressed. This morning I did about half an hour in the garden. Honestly nothing heavy. When I came back indoors all I wanted to do was climb back into bed I was so tired. Perhaps I have still not totally understood that this is major surgery - but if others can do it why not me. Sorry Sue, I know the answer to this WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT.

Any way now for the GOOD news. I looked after Ollie last night and it wasn't too bad. He just wanted to play on his own which left me with my feet up. Come bed time there was a little bit of disagreement as to whether it was actually 7pm or 6.55pm. But he cleaned his teeth, went to the loo and 5 mins later he was fast asleep - my kind of child. I was pleased that I was driving home at 8pm - practically the middle of the night for me.

I wish I could speak to the OS today just for a bit of reassurance. Walking remains so uncomfortable. If I could see into the future and see that my knee does get better I could relax in the knowledge. We soldier on.

Have a good day y'all, as they say in Texas.

I like it. I've been practicing saying it. You'd be amused if you heard my take on the accent. 16 stairs several times a day phew! Carol
 
Hi All, Because of my neck pain I went to a shop specialising in ergonomic chairs. Most of them come from Norway. They let you trial them at home for a week and if you aren't happy with it you don't have to buy it. Two are coming on Friday - one for the office another for the kitchen.

The salesman asked me if I used a computer or a laptop. I said a laptop. He said they were very bad for necks and backs because you have to look down instead of ahead. I am now going to elevate the laptop which means buying a separate keyboard, but they are cheap enough.

Since my TKR I have spent quite a lot on stuff to make work, rest and play comfortable. I've had some failures, but some real successes. I'm hoping that office chair will let me sit in comfort when I'm chatting to you all.

How about you? are you sitting comfortably? Carol
 
Csrol, er definitely prescribe to ergonomic. We've had reverse gravity chairs from a "Relax The Back Store", I haven't been using it sine surgery because it hits in the back of the knee. I keep meaning to ask about using it, but I'm going to give it a try. Right now my back is aching. I miss my bed. We bought a dual-controlled adjustable Tempuredic in April and love it. It helped both our backs.

Did you get office type chairs or the one's with an ottoman? let us know what they are and how they work. We're thinking about new reclinders whe we move in. Dorothy
 
Hi Carol, sounds like a really busy day with gardening first thing then shopping.
The chairs sound like a really good idea. I particularly like the idea of trying them at home.
I hope they work out well for you.
My husband has a lap top and he has it on a stand which raises it up off the desk and angles it making it easier to use the keyboard in an ergonomic position.

I confess to writing this on my ipad but I am sitting very comfortably indeed. I treated myself to a stressless recliner and footstool before knee one and I find it very comfortable and supportive and a great way to keep my legs elevated.

Glad you had fun last night, he sounds like the ideal child but probably due to your expert handling. :)
Have a great evening ,
Toothfairy x :flwrysmile:
 
Carol, enjoy all the typos in my post above,
 
I've just taken delivery of a desk and ergonomic chair for my OU studies. The chair is wonderful with a back that inflates, arm rests, it rocks and is very comfortable. The desk is adjustable height. The chair arms are positioned to lead the arms straight onto the keyboard. They also gave me 2 footrests. Our son has an elevator thing for his laptop and a separate keyboard. We both were/are disabled students.
It sounds great to be able to try them at home.
What else have you found that has helped?
I bought a thick mattress topper; although we had a comfortable mattress it was rather firm and starting to give me pressure sore spots. This a 7cms of cloud! I had a lot of shoulder pain initially, pulling myself up with my elbows. It's still a weak shoulder but not as bad as it was. I also bought a pressure sore thick cushion for a chair that also elevated it to make getting in and out easier.
Sue.:flwrysmile:
 
Well I had a new mattress delivered and I think I might need the step ladders to get in. Its very high on top of the base which has drawers in. Lovely and comfortable tho. As for sleeping I never get to bed before eleven . I like sitting up with my daughter and talking about her day as she sees her boyfriend every night after work its the only time I get to see her. I don't fall asleep until 2ish havent got back into a routine since the op. I awake at eight ish. Only me in the house so I just take it easy have breakfast and plan my day. Gets lonely sometimes being on my own after being used to such a houseful but its probably empty nest syndrome.
 
robynhood don't go falling off that mattress.
I'm not going to be asleep early tonight, not that I ever am, Ds has driven some friends to Blackpool and it's quite a wet night.
What is your kitchen chair like, Carol?
 
Did you get office type chairs or the one's with an ottoman?
They also gave me 2 footrests.

Haven't seen the ottoman type chairs Dorothy. Sue do you remember the name of the company who supplied the ergonomic chairs with footrests? I trialed the inflating back chair in the showroom. Seemed great. Its also a rocker and has a back that moves with you. They are delivering it tomorrow. The kitchen chair I've had for the last 2 days. Its not right for me. Its simple. A small wooden rocker with padded seat and back. But the arms aren't right and its not the right height - so its going back. Absolutely great that you can try them at home. The idea of chairs that rock is to do with movement. The makers reckon that the movement helps to shift the weight around and reduce pressure. Will definitely try out the `thingy' that elevates the laptop. Sue, would books elevate the laptop just as well?

Matresses was a real saga for me. They were coming in and going out at a rate of knots. Then I found Tempa (the memory matresses). They said I could trial it for 28 days! It worked really well for me. I recommended it to my sister and she couldn't get on with it - such a personal thing.

A little thing that works for me in bed is that I put a pillow at the bottom of the bed for my feet. I dont use it to rest my feet on, rather as a something to prop my feet against. It took all the pressure off my heels. Carol
 
Josephine Every time I get a message from Toothfairy instead of getting one alert I am getting 10, 20, 30 alerts all for the same message. It doesn't happen with message alerts from anyone else. Wondered if you could sort this problem out. thanks Carol
 
Gets lonely sometimes
Hi Pat, you've mentioned this before. What have you explored that might fill the lonely gap? It really does have to be something you will enjoy, otherwise you are just time-filling and it wont last. Carol
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom