TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Carol, Yes I'm glad the treatment program is over although I still have a ways to go. My symptoms are much like yours, where it starts our worse in the morning, so I have to get the day started with shower, breakfast, etc. I am still shedding quite a few tears, but leaarning to use tools to change my thoughts and feelings. Just listening to music on my I-Pad and doing deep breathing really helps. I still struggle with physical pain and the fact that I am still taking Norco a couple times a day. Have to remind myself to be patient and that we are only 4 months out. I'm not a religious person, but consider myself spiritual. I actually watched Joe Osteen for a few minutes today and picked up a quote which is helping me a lot. He was talking about some biblical characters and also persons living through serious things. The quote was "I'm still in the game even though I'm in pain." He went on to talk about going through these life situations and restored some faith in me that there is more of what has been a great life in store for us all. If you want to private message me your e-mail, I would love to talk to you on a more intimate level. Sometimes here I feel I feel like I'm baring my soul to the world. My heart goes out to you and Jaki, and I think more attention to the depression that seems to go alog with this TKR thing. is needed. Two of my friends' husbands who have had TK/r have admitted to being depressed. Talk to you soon. Dorothy
 
Carol, you think my reply contained platitudes? What kind of 'hard information' are you expecting to find? And I note you carefully avoided answering my question ....

Josephine, I've just received the above. I noticed what I had said earlier. I have sent you an apology. But I now notice that that is also inadequate. What's it all about? Why am I being rude to someone who has/is trying to help and support me? I will tell you. I want you to have a magic wand. I want you to wave it and I will be fine. And what's more I want you to wave it right this minute. Its similar to the behaviour of a distressed child lashing out at its mother. Only I am not a child. And I apologise.

You would be quite in your rights to tell me to go away. On the off chance that you don't, I continue.
What scares me about having MUA? Its more mucking about with my knee with no guarantees. Everything the OS says is couched with `possibly, may be, might'. My last operation went badly wrong in the operating room. This one (with talk of MUA) is turning out to be not straight forward. I have been googling stuff to try and get information so that I can ask the right questions and take the right action. I've come across an article on adhesions. I can feel a tight fibrous band across the top and down the side of my knee. Its getting tighter as time passes. If it is adhesions, and not the more normal tight rubber band feeling that a lot of people get post TKR, I need all the information I can get to know what to do post MUA to give myself the best chance of recovery.

I still have until the 18 August before I have to make a decision on the MUA. I think it must be apparent to you that I am behaving irrationally. It takes all sorts!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Irrationally? Most certainly not! You behaving as anyone with an ounce of common sense would - asking questions and wanting answers. But you are right in one thing - I don't have a magic wand, I truly wish I did!

As for the MUA, the best I can tell you - assure you - is that it won't do you any harm. If you do have adhesions then that will be the answer to the problem but if you don't then no harm will be done. All your surgeon is doing with his prevaricating and refusal to give a straight answer is because, like me, he doesn't posses a crystal ball and cannot give any guarantees as to the outcome. So 'maybe' it will make it better and 'maybe' it won't is the best he can do. Best anyone can do. But you won't lose anything by trying it. I promise you that. It's worth a punt, isn't it? (Now that's not something you see me saying in this forum very much! Mostly I am hotly against MUA,specially when they are done too early!)

And tell you to go away? Goodness me - the very thought! You know I am a vocational nurse, one who has an empathy for all the hurting and frustrated people who come here every day looking for my magic wand! I do the best I can but mostly my best is just to empathise and listen which I do with pleasure.

[Bonesmart.org] Everything Comes to She Who Waits
[Bonesmart.org] Everything Comes to She Who Waits
 
Hi Dorothy, hope you are having a good time. Holidays can really take your mind off things - so long as they aren't too tiring. Are they looking after you? Lots of nice food, cooler weather plenty of good company? Do hope so. x Carol
 
Hi Jaki, just checking on you. Hope you are hanging on in there. I got a message from Robynhood (Pat). You know she has had it rough. But her message was really positive. Seems like she has turned a corner. Your turn next. xx Carol
 
Carol, you may not be suicidal and find no pleasure, for sure that is serious depression. But you could be mildly depressed and a mild anti depressant could help. It helped me. They are not addictive and don't make everything better but could make you better able to cope.
I hope you re feeling better this fine sunny morning.
 
Hi Nancy, thanks for your message. Were you responding to something I'd said a while back? Feeling quite good at the moment. Hope things are good for you too. C
 
Yes carol, July 7th you said you thought you couldn't be depressed as you weren't suicidal.
Where are you in E Sussex?
 
Hi Nancy, that seems to be the nature of TKR - up and down. You are absolutely right. There are many stages of depression. Presumably suicide is the final one. But I think I will manage OK so long as the MUA isn't necessary. I live near Tunbridge Wells. Its a good spot. You can get to Eastbourne in under an hour and London in the same time. Also the sun shines a little bit more in the south. Just curious but why speccybecky for your thread name? Carol
 
Absolutely the sun shines more in the south. We lived in Eastbourne for 4 years , that's where I learned bobbin lace making.
As for the name, when I traced our family tree the names were all the same and I was almost Rebecca and I wear specs so I'd have been 'speccybeccy' !
 
Well I'm on vacation visiting grandchildren, going to Chicago tomorrow to see some friends, then flying to Houston on Thursday. Happy to report that everything is going really well, feel good, knee feels okay, not perfect, but I feel like it's turned a corner for the good. A little normalcy in life has been great medicine for me. Just thought I'd share a positive post. Hope you all have a good day.

Bugs, Dorothy
 
Hi Dorothy, what a difference a few weeks have made. Flying here and there and managing it pretty well. I wonder how much is down to your knee and how much to the change of scenery. But it really doesn't matter. You are enjoying yourself and that's what matters. Houston we DONT have a problem.

I still don't have the courage to travel too far from home. Today was probably my best day. My sister picked me up at 10.30 and whilst I didn't do that much walking I didn't get home until 3.30. 5 hours is longer than I have ever managed it. Its tight, stiff and a bit painful now, but we know there are no miracles with TKRs.

Dorothy, I am going to collect your typos. They are really funny sometimes. You wished us all BUGS today. Big bugs to you too. water, water Carol
 
Thanks for collecting my typos. It's this you know what I-Pad. I've gotten so lazy, I'd rather lie in bed and type on it. Mutley, wishing you the best with all that you've got going on. I learned the hard way about 20 years ago when I had a car accident and broke my back that using wine was not the answer for my pain control. I didn't drink for a couple of years after that, and haven't been drinking for about 7 months now. and I love my wine. Hang in there and enjoy the graduation. Carol, I aapologize for hi-jacking your thread bit it's that doggone laziness again.

Hugs (Not Bugs) Dorothy
 
Just noticed two typos-apologize and but
 
I am now just short of 5 months post op. As accurately as possible I wanted to say how my TKR is now and find out how normal it is at this stage. Your comments will be most welcome. Thank you.

PLUSES
1. 0/105
2. no pain when not using my leg
3. no clinking
4. Able to stand solely on the TKR leg

MINUSES
1. a little swelling just beneath the knee
2. extremely tight - like having a tourniquet just above the knee and on the inside of the knee
3. Walking quite difficult and very tiring - no pain, but very hard work
4. By about 6pm the knee gets even tighter and even more uncomfortable

I am not on pain killers now, but do take paracetemol when needed. I am seeing my OS on 16 August, where MUA will be considered.
 
I posted the above message yesterday and have had no replies. I think there is a very good reason for that. Josephine et al have said all they can, and I am really asking how long's a bit of string. So I think I will have a go at answering myself. Carol P(Carol Parent) talking to Carol C(Carol Child).

CC: People will think I'm nuts talking to myself
CP: Don't worry they are a tolerant lot on BS and they probably think you're nuts already, so nothing to lose.
CC: I want to find out if I'm normal. Hmmmm. Moving on. That's a daft question. There are times when asking if its normal is appropriate. But this isn't one of them. You will see your OS on 16 August. If you still have the tightness, he has said MUA MIGHT be the answer. Ask him:

1. Why he thinks MUA may help given that my ROM is 0/105.
2. If he thinks an arthroscopy might be more appropriate.
3. If I opt for MUA whether l'll be on a passive motion machine and kept in hospital overnight
4. What I will be given to control pain
5. What happens if the MUA doesn't work

CP: How do you feel about that?
CC: Yes, that about sums it up. Thank you CP. You have helped to clarify things.
CP: Any time, that's what I'm here for. xx

ps: do remember the OS has said MUA MIGHT help. Remember CC there are no guarantees. But you can't go on with the current situation. So again you have to give it a try, and compared to the TKR it should a lot easier.
 
I was going to reply, but then I didn't want to add any negativity to your post! However, on reflection I would like to add the following :-
The 1st 5 pluses are very positive at 5 months in my honest opinion.
On your minus list I would say that at 5 months it wouldn't be abnormal to still experience some swelling. As to the tightness I can't comment although to make you feel marginally normal, I have a very tight feeling in the back of the knee :)

As for walking I assumed the more you do the better it will get. This isn't true in my case however I do just "plough on" & do it, just have to grit my teeth sometimes. I think you would have to gauge what you have done during the day as to whether your knee is being normal come the evening time. Do you still ice & elevate during the day? I still ice regardless as it fools my brain into thinking it's doing some good!

You are right to understand this process is still like asking how long a piece of string is! I started off with the 6 month mark in mind & now I have " let out" my piece of string to the 12 month mark.

Just wanted to add that virtually all the while I was at my daughter's graduation, not only did I NOT think about my knee I also had no thigh rubbing, knee rubbing, shin rubbing sessions! Last night I felt totally NORMAL.... then was awake all night with massive aches & pains & sweating like a pig to boot :sad: Makes me think " is this all in my head"...SOMETIMES!

Josephine, can you help Carol in her quest for a perfect length of string?????
 
Carol, I'm so sorry you're feeling ignored. I worked Tues and Wed and was overcome by the heat both days. Consequently, I was too shattered to even look at emails!
(ask him) Why he thinks MUA may help given that my ROM is 0/105.
I'd be interested to hear his reply to this as no surgeon I know would give a moment's consideration to an MUA with numbers like that. You are still only 5 months out and I am perplexed as to why you think your 4 minuses are minuses at this stage? So far as I am concerned, you are doing quite well and still have plenty of time to keep improving. As I believe I have pointed out before, many have had improvements after 12 months and more.

Only drawback is, your perfect piece of string just happens to be a bit longer than some!!


(BTW that was very funny, Mutley!)
 
Next week, ill be 18 months out and am feeling better now than I did at 12 months. I think you're too hard on yourself Carol and that for 5 months you are doing fine.there is lots ofbtimebyet to improve
 
Thanks Josephine. You mean it gets hot in Newcastle. Well there's a thing. Turtle68 is from Houston, Texas. They've had it in the 40s I believe. By the way the PT measured my ROM today its now 0/120. But the tight band remains. Carol
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom