Guest viewing is limited

TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mutley Oh Jaki what's a girl to do? If my sister and I were to make a curry we would do it differently - there's scope for variation. But if we were making an omelet we would agree we had to break eggs - no scope for variation. It should be the same with this MUA business. Its driving me mad. Sorry for being so glum this morning, but I think talk of MUA is getting to me.

Did you have a better sleep last night? Got anything nice planned for today? x Carol
 
[quote
I have no reason to believe my OS is over zealous or incompetent. Which results in my being very confused when experts like you and the OS differ. He has suggested leaving it another 6 weeks to see if things improve. I will then be approx. 5 months post op. If its no better by then I wont know what to do for the best. I do not have the knowledge to make the right call.[/quote]

My take on this is to take your OS's advice. He knows you more than anyone on here. If I were in your position that is what I would do. Just saying :whistle:
 
Afternoon Carol!
My night was not good due mostly to my over active imagination :sad: OH/hubby/husband/pain in the backside is away on a trip to Russia/Ukraine/Chenoble/somewhere radioactive & intimidating, & has taken 2 of my daughters to experience this too! Therefore I'm home alone...Whoop, Whoop...APART from the night times! I NEARLY let the dogs come & share my bed last night but that would be foolish as they would expect to do it every night...and there would be dog hairs all over my nice clean bedcovers :sad: So instead I played a game called " Lights go on...lights go off" pretty much until it got light. The house was really creaky then the wind was banging a door & I thought someone was walking across the landing...Nit Wit! I'm such a light sleeper anyway & even having taken a sleeping tablet I was awake most of the night.

Right...MUA! I thought it was agreed that there was to be no thoughts on this subject for the next 6 weeks??? How cross will you be if you go back to your OS & he says, "Well done Carol! You've performed your exercises so well that I think your knee will be fine! Lets give it some MORE TIME & reassess the situation in a few months time..." You will have spent all those weeks worrying NEEDLESSLY!
Put all your thinking energy into your exercising/ pool sessions & see how you go. When you go back to see your OS & if he does suggest an MUA then that is your chance to question why he thinks this is the best cause of action & actually, won't the MUA just cause more swelling therefore stiff, tight knee for more weeks or months to come?
I have NO plans as such today. Went to deliver birthday cards/ MONEY to my nieces & nephews. I'm normally pretty good at being on top of these things, bearing in mind I have 15 nieces & nephews, but I just couldn't believe that June had been and now gone :sad:
How about you? Anything planned to lift this glum feeling you have today?!!
 
...and don't even ask me why I've got all this "Gumph" underneath my message!
 
Hi Jaki, I love this. Its like a mystery story unraveling. 2 of your daughters! how many have you got?Don't ask me why, but I didn't think you had kids. In fact I think I do know why I thought that. Usually when women have children they talk about them a lot. I notice this because I don't have kids and find it hard sometimes to relate. So to add to the husband, 2 dogs, chicken, tortoise there are at least 2 children and me of course. What a woman!!

Your dead right about the MUA. Just one point before I put it to bed for 6 weeks. My bend measured 105 today. The PT was surprised that there was talk of MUA. This got me thinking. I wondered if my OS was being particularly crafty. That he never intends for me to have MUA, but by threatening it he thinks I will work harder - which I am. See, even the paranoia has set in now. Didn't I say next stop was madness.

My day turned out quite good. After pool therapy I went to see my sister. She had recorded the Rolling Stones at Glastonbury. So I watched that and thought it was great. It particularly pleased me that a band from my generation is still wowing the kids. My one foot was tapping to the beat of `I Can't get No Satisfaction'. My sister is a great cook (I'm just OK). After the wine and the Stones she gave me a lovely meal. Not bad for a day that started off glum.

When you move will it mean you will be leaving all your relatives behind? If so, is that likely to be a problem? x Carol
 
KathyH thanks for your views. I've decided to put it out of my mind for the present. I will deal with it if I have too when the 6 wks is up. Carol
 
I always tell people I have 4 kids, 3 daughters & then my husband as he is the BIGGEST kid going :) So there you have it, 3 daughters...but did I mention the 2 dogs, Maisie & Rodney, Weimaraners (German hunting dogs) 1 cat, Trinity ( British shorthair whatever that is supposed to mean!) 1 tortoise, Toby, NO chickens :boohoo: ( After losing BBB..Big Bad Beryl poor Florence was looking a little bit lonely. It didn't stop her eating but then she would stand outside the French door windows, peering in looking sad & friendless. It meant I had to go out with a packet of Rice Krispies which she would eat out of my hand, or do her a slice of Marmite on toast. Anyway, I knew someone up the road who also keeps chickens & casually asked him if he would be interested in taking her on. He said yes, I took her round & the rest is history! All seems to be going okay! I had decided that after these last 2 I wasn't going to keep chickens anymore & the people in the new house say there are a lot of fox's that come & go so didn't want to risk taking Florence down there. It's very strange not seeing her in the garden though...or the house when she quietly gets in the back door! It's nice to know that she is settled & has some company too!)
I can't wait to hear over the next few weeks whether you feel your knee is starting to loosen up. That is a good ROM you've achieved today! I'm sure the water therapy is really helping too...Ding Dong :yes!:
Glad your day went from Glum to Glastonbury with a cheeky little grape number thrown in to :martini: ...just remind me who these Rolling Stones people are again??!!! :whistle:
Yep, just me & the hubby moving down to the coast. Eldest daughter lives in London, middle one lives in Worthing & youngest one has decided to stay here as she's just about to finish college & has been offered a full time job. Her friend's are here & boyfriend so we're just trying to sort out what will be the best sort of lodging/ flat/ shared house arrangement to suit her, her boyfriend & they're budget! Quite exciting for us really, or will be when it all finally happens & I know youngest is sorted, settled & happy!
 
Hi Jaki As 2 of your daughters have left home and the 3rd is about to I suppose it makes the move easier. Also you should be nearer to your Worthing daughter. Are you any nearer to getting a completion date? Chains can be so precarious. Fingers crossed.

My family is so small I try my hardest to keep them all very close. I think in a previous life I lived in a kibbutz. I regularly tell my lot how much better off we would be if we all sold our houses and bought a mansion. Every one has different skills. One would do the cooking, another the gardening and so on. I would supervise. My brother in law is the weak link. Were it not for him I think the others would be up for it. Moving to just outside Tunbridge Wells was because my sister had moved there a few years earlier. I got fed up with the 70 mile round trip from Bromley to see her. I've never lived this far from London, and even now I find navigating by the 3rd tree on the left a bit strange.

This was supposed to be our final house. But because of the TKR I think we will move to a bungalow if we can find one. My bedroom is split level (2 steps). How daft is that. It looked nice when I first saw it, and it hasn't been a problem until the TKR. Good exercise though.

Did my walk around the lake on my own today. Husband and I have had a falling out. The silent treatment doesn't seem to bother him, but I can't keep it up - geordies can't keep quiet for long. I want to cut some trees down in the garden (there are 43 of them!) he does not. Its a foregone conclusion, so why he just doesn't say yes now is beyond me. Macho stuff I suppose. I do hope there is something good on the tele tonight or I might crack. x Carol
 
But because of the TKR I think we will move to a bungalow if we can find one
Oh Pat, no! You'll get there, honestly you will. That's not a good reason to move.
geordies can't keep quiet for long
I'll vouch for that! But you're a Geordie? I should have guessed! What area - Wallsend? Byker? Just up the road from me!
 
Well Carol your sense of humour seems intact even tho you are struggling with your TKR. That's good. If we can see the funny side of things it makes it easier. My stupid ROM at 90 at 9 months makes me want to scream at times and I am finding the exercises she gave me very hard at the moment But I wont let it get me down. And I must admit reading yours and Mutleys posts always makes me smile. I wonder sometimes if all this TKR business was worth it and I pray for the day when I can say Yes it was. Keep smiling. We will all get there in the end. Hopefully :) :hairpulling:
 
Josephine Hi Josephine, I left Newcastle when I was young (better work prospects in London). I've been back and forth ever since. But since my parents died there isn't so much of a reason to return. But once a geordie....... My parents lived in Denton Burn, up past the General Hospital.

I should have guessed!
.

I've decided to put a positive spin on this comment <wink>.

I've a confession. When I read messages from fellow Bonesmarties who are doing better than me I feel jealous. Not that I wish them ill, of course. I just wish it was me too. When I read messages from those doing badly, it scares me. I know we are all individual and we all heal in our own way and time, but that's logic talking. My TKR increasingly makes me illogical. I am tending not to read the threads at random - playing it safe.

You'll get there, honestly you will.

Please god make you be right. But we both know that its not the case for everybody. But I will try and keep the faith - nothing else I can bloody do.

Something surprised me the other day. I thought measuring flexion would be the same irrespective of whether I am sitting on a chair or lying flat out on the bed. It doesn't appear to be for some unknown reason. When I measure it when I am sitting in a chair, pulling my foot back under the chair it measures around 105. Its much less when lying on the bed and I slide my heel towards me as much as I can. ????

ps: You never know we may have come face to face and not known it - Big Market, Saturday night perhaps.
 
Hi Jaki@turtle68 When you measure your bend do you do it when sitting in a chair or lying on the bed (above message explains more clearly what I'm referring to). I thought everybody did it the same way, but possibly not. x Carol
 
robynhood Hi Pat I was talking to my physio today. He takes the view that a 90 ROM is perfectly OK. Its functional for almost everything except stairs. So whilst you would like more (and probably will get more in time) its good enough. Carol
 
Right, going to throw a BIG spanner in the works here :) Why is it that when you eat healthily, drink lots of water, sugar free squash, do your exercises & walk the dogs (twice a day at the moment I might add) but your in extreme discomfort...then you go out for a birthday lunch with your "OLDER" sister, have 2 pints of Stella & a bacon & Brie baguette, take the mutts outs for a 2nd walk & your virtually pain free????? It wasn't even Heineken refreshing parts other beers don't reach :shocked:
DISCUSS!!!!!
Maybe my pain is all in my head?????
 
Carol, go into the library section & look at the ROM subject. Gives you a good idea of what/ where your ROM might get to :)
 
robynhood Hi Pat I was talking to my physio today. He takes the view that a 90 ROM is perfectly OK. Its functional for almost everything except stairs. So whilst you would like more (and probably will get more in time) its good enough. Carol
O i get up and down stairs fine Carol. Im sure it will improve. It just annoys me i didnt do anything about it sooner.
 
patient99 Why did I think your name was Pat? :scratch:

As for measuring ROM, how are you doing that? Are you doing it yourself? Do you have a goniometer? It's actually very difficult to measure ones own ROM but here's an article that explains how it should be done ROM (range of motion) information.
 
take the mutts outs for a 2nd walk & your virtually pain free????? It wasn't even Heineken refreshing parts other beers don't reach :shocked: DISCUSS!!!!! Maybe my pain is all in my head?????​

There's nothing to discuss. The case is conclusive. The next step is to get the balance right. The only way to do this is to keep at it. If 2 pints of Stella work today, steadily increase it. Stop only if it gets painful. But don' be afraid to challenge. You will get there. Remember the mantra - lots and often.
 
tight band v adhesions

Help.

I have read the articles in the library which explain the difference between the tight band feeling caused by scar tissue, and adhesions which are when ligaments and the like get stuck together. As I understand it the tight band feeling goes in time. The adhesions do not. They have to be manipulated by an OS.

My question is how do you tell whether what you are experiencing is tight band scar tissue or adhesions?
 
I have totally lost it today. I have to talk to somebody and as I'm on my own BS is on the receiving end of my stuff. Yesterday I received a copy of a letter my OS sent to my doctor. I will quote bits of it so that I don't embellish anything.

He says she is concerned about tightness over the anterior aspect of the knee radiating into the medial side of her calf. She has flexion to about 90. He goes on. I have tried to encourage her to continue to work hard with her exercises. I am quite sure there is no major problem with her knee replacement. I have told her that occasionally patients do get an excessive feeling of tightness after a knee replacement but this will usually pass with the passage of time. I have agreed to see her again in 6wks and if there really is no further improvement and her knee still remains stiff, the only other thing that I could do that might improve her feeling of tightness, would be to manipulate her knee.

This is pretty much what was discussed at our meeting. So why it has suddenly knocked me for six I don't know. Perhaps its seeing it in black and white. Logically I should continue working at it, keep my spirits up and hopefully there will be further improvement in the next 6 weeks. But I am incapable of being logical this morning. The tears wont stop, I am frightened of the prospect of MUA. All the uncertainty is getting to me. And then there are the `What Ifs'. What if the MUA doesn't help. What if it makes it worse. What if I can never dance again. What if I can never walk without difficulty ever again. What if I can never prepare proper meals in my kitchen ever again. What if I can never stand at the sink to wash my pots up ever again. What if I can never go on holiday ever again..............................

My knee is now demanding attention. It rules me. I hate it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom