Guest viewing is limited

TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
@speckybecky Hi Nancy you said you are feeling better at 18 mths than you did at 12. How much better? For example, do you have days when you don't even think knee? Carol
 
Thanks Josephine. You mean it gets hot in Newcastle. Well there's a thing. Turtle68 is from Houston, Texas. They've had it in the 40s I believe. By the way the PT measured my ROM today its now 0/120. But the tight band remains. Carol

Do you think the increase in ROM has been down to your increased exercising routine prior to seeing your surgeon? If so, it's definitely doing the trick :)
 
I really wish my ROM was 120 at five months. Im celebrating 97 at nine months. You really should be proud of that.
 
Hi Jaki, Read your message and was about to start the `Yes but' game. Stopped just in time. I have an unhealthy knack of reading something and being blind to all the positives. I zoom in on anything that might be remotely negative and fixate on it. I can twist `it wouldn't be abnormal..............' to `its not altogether normal'. And anything with a `quite' in front of it is the kiss of death.

No, I don't ice any more. I do still elevate and I can actually see the swelling going down. But once I get up and start walking around again, it comes back. If icing fools your brain into thinking its doing some good, that's a perfectly sound reason to continue. Re. string. We are going to have enough of the stuff to go round the world twice by the time we are through.

Just wanted to add that virtually all the while I was at my daughter's graduation, not only did I NOT think about my knee I also had no thigh rubbing, knee rubbing, shin rubbing sessions! Last night I felt totally NORMAL.... then was awake all night with massive aches & pains & sweating like a pig to boot :sad: Makes me think " is this all in my head"...SOMETIMES!

The sweating has to be down to the weather. So that's definitely not in your head. There have been instances before when you have completely forgotten about your knee eg, when you had lunch with your sister. I don't think that means the pain is all in your head either. I think it shows that you can hold it at bay if you are sufficiently distracted. During the night there are no distractions, therefore your full attention is on your aches and pains. My challenge to you is to figure out what might grab your undivided attention when the lights go out. Then report back pronto 'cause I've completely forgotten. Carol
 
robynhood and mutley I really was chuffed at my increased ROM. I put it down to the hydrotherapy pool. I was given exercises by the PT, but I find the ones I've developed for myself work much better. I strap a float to my ankle. This gives it increased buoyancy. Then I spend 30 minutes really stretching and bending. It doesn't hurt in the slightest, but you know when you get out the water that you've had a good work out. I go 3 times a week. It was Jaki who suggested it to me and I would certainly recommend it to anybody struggling with ROM. Because I work without a PT it reduces the cost - £8.50 for 30 mins as opposed to £41 with the PT. They restrict the numbers in the pool to 6. This works fine. Everybody has enough space to do what they want. Strangely enough I am the only TKR person. Most of the other women have MS.
 
Maybe not whole days, as I sometimes get discomfort if I twist the wrong way, but certainly hours at a time, and I never thought that would happen!
 
Well.....to qualify.....maybe not forget it, I am aware it feels 'different' but not painful
 
5 months post-op yesterday. As far as my knee goes, I seem to be doing okay. Still have a ways to go but have no problem walking, stairs, and seem to be stronger getting up and own. As soon as we get through this move, I'm going to see my O.S. and look into getting some proper aqua therapy.Still don't do a lot as I've been struggling through other illnesses, i.e. depression, viral cough, and sinus infection. We had a good trip to WI and Chicago. My knee handled it very well. Wheelchair service is the way to go. They take really good care of you, and it's easy to get through security. They must be very used to people with TKRs going through security as I had no problems with that. First day we were there my granddaughter came down with a little tummy bug, two days later my husband got it, after we left my son and grandson, and I managed to wait until after we got home. I've spent the last two days in bed, finally went to the E.R. yesterday, they gave me a breathing treatment, put me on prednisone and an inhaler and sent me on my way. Thank God I'm feeling much better today. Sorry to bore you with all these details but it feels good to put them in writing and just get on with it.

Now it's time to catch up with my good friends here. I have been peeking at your threads now and again, especially you Mutley and Patient99, and I know you haven't been behaving. That's good because it is fun to read your threads and I appreciate your friendship. Jaki, your girls are gorgeous, and Carol I hope your knee continues to get better so that you don't have to do the MUA. Well, I must get busy and proof this very carefully as Carol loves to keep track of all my typos.

Hugs (or is it bugs), Dorothy
 
Carol, I just realized I posted that whole thing in your thread. Hope you don't mind.

Dorothy
 
Carol won't mind at all Dorothy as she needs as many friends as she can get bearing in mind how naughty she's been! So glad to hear that you've had a good trip & that you & your new knee survived so well :) You sound like your totally on target with what your knee is allowing you to do at 5 months! Such a shame that you've suffered with the other various illness's & of course the post op " blues" :sad: Never mind, that was then & hopefully your making great strides to a positive future! Like me, you just need to get that house move out of the way & then life, hopefully will be just " peachy" :yay: Regarding my move, well, it's been stressful as the people we're buying off hadn't found anywhere to buy. Our buyers are desperate to move into our house & draft contracts have already been sent to us. Anyway, we told the estate agent if we don't hear good news by tomorrow we'll have to pull out & find somewhere else to live :sad: We've just heard from the people we're buying from to say they have narrowed it down to 2 choices & they will have offered on a vacant property by Wednesday. Hopefully it will be full steam ahead after then! Fingers crossed...AGAIN!
 
Mutley, sounds like its coming along. Isn't moving fun? Are you moving far away from where you live now? They haven't started construction on our new home yet, so we're moving in with our daughter and her partner for as long as it takes. They have a 3-story town home in Houston, so we'll be on the 1st floor where my daughter's partner's mother usually lives. They're actually looking forward to it so hopefully, we will all survive. Good luck, hope your seller decides where they're going soon.

Dorothy
 
Hi Dorothy, what comes across loud and clear is just how well you are coping with everything life throws at you. I honestly don't think I could have handled half the stuff you have had to deal with. Your holiday really does sound as if it has been a real tonic. I like the idea of speedy boarding at airports and being given VIP treatment. There are perks to everything.

Its a real bit of luck that you can stay with your daughter and her partner until your house is built. I don't know what rentals are in Houston, but in East Sussex its very expensive. About £1,000 per month. All money you want to spend on your new home.

So all in all Dorothy, some pretty good stuff going on for you. And the bonus ball is your knee is doing well too. Long may it last. xx Carol
 
Good to hear from you Carol. We're really looking forward to our move and busy getting rid of stuff. The buyers of our house are moving from CANADA and they're buying several things from us, so that really helps. I'll sure be glad when it's over and looking forward to our in town vacation. We had a good visit with our grandchildren but we were very happy to be home. They're getting older with a 5 year age difference, and we're just not used to being around them. I love them to bits but I'm just not the midwestern grandmotherly type. We had a good visit with friends in Chicago, an older couple who were our neighbors here. Chicago is a beautiful city. I've never visited there much before but do hope to go back soon. My knee is acting up today. We've had thunderstorms come in every afternoon and I wonder if that's affecting my knee. It's just achy and stiff.

I
Enough of my whining and winging. How are you doing? When do you see your OS to talk about the MUA? Or have you already decided against it? Yes, lots of good stuff going on here - just too much of it at times but this too shall pass. And what is this from Mutley where she talks about how naughty you've been. Did I miss out on something while I was gone?

I've been trying to be careful with my typos so hope your list is not getting too long.

XOXO Dorothy
 
hi Dorothy, don't correct your typos - they can be fun. Also post wherever you like - again that adds variety. Not sure what a mid western grandmotherly type is. Someone who sits in a rocking chair on the front porch, chewing tobacco and skinning rabbits - influenced by the cowboy films I watched as a kid.

I'd be curious to see the evidence to support weather conditions affecting TKRs. Do you really think there is something in it?

There's a lot of coverage of the impending royal baby here in the UK. Its nice for Kate and William that they are having a child, but I get a bit annoyed at all their privileges. I think of all the other women having babies where there's not enough midwives to go round and they just have to get on with it. Whereas Kate gets the very best of everything. Don't seem fair to me.

I wasn't naughty, Dorothy. I'm just misunderstood. C
 
Hi Jaki, I have totally messed up what could have been a good day. My husband's away for a few days, so free of all responsibilities. My sister wanted us to go on a jolly to Bromley. But being the wimp I am, I thought it would be too hot and uncomfortable. So I declined. I've been indoors all day, all on my todd. Its just after 3pm and I am bored. I keep raiding the fridge and wandering around. Do you fancy popping over - got some real cold chardonnay - bring Johnny if you like. C
 
Hi Carol, you make my day. You gave a fairly clear picture of the midwestern type grandmother, they have lived in the sameplace all of their lives, sit around and talk about all the relatives you've never met and probably don't want. Don't get me wrong - they're really nice people. Just a different culture. I grew up in Iowa and left two days after I gradusated high school and never looked back. Yeah, I wonder about the weather conditions afffecting the TKR. I do know when my knee acts up like yesterday, I have to pay attention to it as the tendonitis I've had and am almost completely over can come back, and according to Josephine can become chronic.

We get a lot of coverage on the Royal Baby. I don't know whether that's worse than the constant coverage on Treyvor Martin. I have a friend who is big into the DBE (Daughters of the British Empire), and they had a cocktail party last Sarturday hoping the baby would already be there. They even had two cakes - one for a boy and one for a girl. We were invited but it was when we were out of town. No offense, but some of those DEB ladies around here are quite stuffy. I agree about the over coverage of the royal baby when there are so many people struggling with proper preenatal care, etc. I started watching the English series - The Midwife on Netflix and it is so depressing. Is is still like that in East Lomdon? The cold chardonnay sure sounds goog although it's just a little in the morning for that. Do uou have a coner pub you can slip out to for a pint? Have a good day and try to behave the rest of the day.

Cheers,
Dorothy
 
Carol. Typos galore above or your pleasure.

Dorothy
 
I can't speak for the east end of London, but Call the Midwife' was based on 60 years ago, so I should hope thins have moved along! Still waiting for news of William and Catherine s baby. Shall we run a sweepstake on names?!
I'm thinking maybe Charlotte, Alexandra ? George ? John?
 
Daughters of the British Empire! But we don't have an Empire anymore. Oh so what, if it keeps them happy. That `stuffy' thing is everywhere. The accent changes, but that's about all.

There are parts of London, and all the big cities, that are depressing . What tends to happen is that the down at heel areas get taken over by immigrants. As fortunes change one nationality moves out and another moves in. As far as I know nothing these days is as bad as the east end of London in the 1920/30s.

Yes we do have a local pub. But since my TKR I find it isn't comfortable enough. Instead we go to one of the hotels a short ride away. Nice upholstered chairs with cushions and waitress service. Comfort is my mantra. x C
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom