Guest viewing is limited

THR Eve2 recovery, reporting from the other side

I just need someone to work with me to get all the muscles that have been idle for almost two years to wake up and also work on my gait, I have been limping for a very long time now, I forgot how walking "normally" looks like!

Word, bingo, right on, and OMG, do I so, so agree! I had a discussion with my PT person this afternoon about my gimpy walk (I have this fast, choppy walk, with no extension behind - when I try to consciously walk "correctly" my wife says I look like a Martian trying to blend in) and while some of this is going to be relearning my walk thru stretching and strength training, he admitted there's only so much that can be done at the moment, because it takes a while for the muscles in the hip to get over the surgery. Because I am nice, I did not follow up by asking why, in that case, was I there.

I want to believe that my crazy tight hip flexors and adductors will one day just call a cease fire, my glutes and abductors will summon their resolve, and I'll wake up with the graceful, natural walk of a real boy, but it's hard to believe it's that easy. Maybe what we need isn't PT - it's the Blue Fairy!

Anybody else have experience with a limp resolving itself over time?
 
My today's update is weird, just like the world news

I woke up in pain, felt a pinch inside (I don't know exactly what inside I was feeling since I have an implant) but I felt a very uncomfortable pinch towards the pelvis/groin while moving. I needed Mz. S. just to get to the bathroom which is like 10 steps away from the bedroom. This went on for a few hours.
And while I was getting dressed, it suddenly went away. Just like that. Now I am fine, there still a little pinch but not too bad. I iced it for an hour in bed, once realizing it's bad. Ice had been my best friend in general, especially now that I am off the pain meds!

What is this? :sorry:
And in this case what's the best way to deal with it? Take a painkiller and keep going (within limits obviously) or just rest?

So the "new" thing that happened yesterday, was me going out to meet my friend. I took a Lyft to their hotel, waited there, crossed the street and sat in a restaurant for like a couple hours, had some food and drinks, crossed street back, called another Lyft that drove me home.
What did I do wrong here? Is it the sitting? Is it the beer? :dubious:

Oh well, I am ok now and I will keep an eye on this confusing wonder that is my new hip!
Have a wonderful day everyone!
 
Restaurant chairs are really low, and if you don't want to wear your appetizer, you have to lean into the table and commit crimes against the 90° rule. First time I went out this week, I was such a criminal, and my hip groused at me the rest of the day. Next time out, I arranged myself on the edge of the chair (no booths!!), and tucked my leg underneath to keep it straight at the hip - much better. That sound like a plausible scenario in your situation?

Alternatively, it could be the beer. :shocked:
 
@Bone-obo what you are saying makes sense to me, as I was leaning into the table for the time I was at the restaurant as it was really loud, and since I had no food in front of me, I was really leaning on the table.

I honestly didn't know it's a thing, the whole 90 degree story, but I guess now I know.
The pain came back, I guess today is going to be this way, back and forth. I am sorry Mr. hip, please forgive my bad angles :D
 
Jokes aside, the 90° rule doesn't apply if you had surgery from the anterior approach. In that case, I got nothin'.
 
I still find sitting in certain chairs can lead to the feelings you describe. I try to get up every thirty minutes and move a bit. And I found different twinges on different days happens as all of that internal stuff gets situated.
 
Hi Eve!
Welcome to the 'hipster club'....literally for you : )
I agree...Beer (or vino) does help a LOT lol ~ but take it from an old chickie....be careful as alcohol can impair your judgement and potentially throw you off by masking the pain.

I too am progressing quickly but after my 2nd week post op check up, my surgeon told me to simply "let my body heal....take it easy and not to push it", he wanted me to stop my "intense PT" (wall squats), said I'm at a higher risk of fracture as well as getting tendonitis due to the fact that I'm so strong - who wants that??? I'm guessing your even stronger due to your age so be gentle and kind to yourself, use your sugar cane and stay ahead of the pain!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @eve2
I sure hope you're feeling better today.
I agree with Bone-obo about positioning yourself on the chair. I too had difficulty sitting for long periods in the weeks after surgery. A couple hours on a hard chair is a long time. If anything the beer may have dulled the discomfort :beer: May it only get better. Warmest wishes for a peaceful weekend!
 
anterior approach

that's why I never had heard of the 90 degree role before, I had it done with anterior approach, but still what you said makes sense to me and I had another test on the weekend and I am guessing that sitting around in restaurants is currently not my friend!
 
I don't like the bar stools....too hard for me right now ; )
somehow...it still doesn't stop me from going to HH:martini:
 
Welcome to the 'hipster club'....literally for you : )

haha, thank you so much!
Well, I have been good and I didn't go back to consuming alcohol except for when I was off painkillers. But of course you are right and now even if I drink, getting drunk seems like a not very smart thing to do. So, I have been avoiding this issue altogether :)

I am learning a lot during this time in terms of how much I can do or don't, it's a very interesting journey!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I too had difficulty sitting for long periods in the weeks after surgery.

Yeah, but the question is: did it go away eventually?
I guess I will need to pay good attention...
Thank you!
 
haha, thank you so much!
Well, I have been good and I didn't go back to consuming alcohol except for when I was off painkillers. But of course you are right and now even if I drink, getting drunk seems like a not very smart thing to do. So, I have been avoiding this issue altogether :)

I am learning a lot during this time in terms of how much I can do or don't, it's a very interesting journey!

Thanks much for your well wishes!
Such a smart girl to realize your limitations....it IS a journey ~ a crazy one and you have a great positive attitude which I think is so much a part of healing and taking care of yourself at this time!

I do love my Vino and have a glass or two with dinner in the evening...but made sure I stopped taking my perc when I did have a glass : ) unfortunately, I lost my dear friend of 46 years just 2 wks. post surgery (suicide) geeeze did that throw me off the edge! Lets just say I over-indulged that week...absolutely devastated!

SF is my favorite city in the country : ) I love your city so much, it's so pretty and I love the food and culture, simply can't wait to get up there! We're staying on a house boat in Saulsalito ~ it's gonna be a blast and if we get tired of the shows...we'll def hit OB for a break!

I splurged for the VIP tics (way to much $$)....but felt I needed to have the option of seating, smaller lines and decent bathrooms post surgery.....plus my husband is in the music industry...we're spoiled brats not having to wait in lines at shows : ) that being said, what a great Line Up and can't wait! Nice to have something to look forward to ~

Good luck on your 2 week post op check up and stay in touch!
Sending positive healing vibes to you today ~
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It gets better all the time...but for first three months, I could only sit in certain chairs for more than 20 minutes at a time without being uncomfortable.
Including long rides in a vehicle...long , as in one hour.
But it was way more painful prior to surgery.
You are in "baby it" days.
Hang in there Eve.
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom