Bilateral TKR Eastside85: On The Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barb, you are my hero, I have been reading all of your threads, you seem to be doing really well, I hope I can do as well as you have been doing and I am only getting one knee done. After reading your threads I am sorry I am not having both done at the same time. You have such a positive attitude. Congratulations on the upcoming grandchild. My one and only grandchild is now 9 months old and she is such a blessing, but it is so hard for me to pick her up and walk with her, I am hoping that after I have my surgery that I will be in better shape to take care of her. Have a wonderful Mother's Day!
 
Wow, everything I am reading has such a positive feel. Barb, you are amazing and such a great inspiration. I am so happy for you that you are feeling/doing so well. I haven't had the pleasure of deep massage, but maybe for Mother's Day...? Speaking of which, I wish you a good one.
 
Izzie Something that helped me in the car. Have an empty garbage bag in your car. Spread it out on the seat and sit down on it. If you have cloth car seats, it will be so much easier for you to slide across the seat without straining your leg. And definitely take a pillow to place under your leg to cushion against bumps in the road. Your day is coming soon. Will be glad when all your waiting is over--it truly is the hardest part.
 
Happy Mother's Day - all you lovely ladies out there in Bonesmart world! and once again thanks for all the great messages, don't know what I would do without you all and this wonderful place!!:thankyou:alk

Had very early text from my daughter already, wishing me HMD and they will be here around 11 am to start cooking and setting up for our luncheon. Mom and sister coming over, so it will be just casual and close family.

My outing yesterday went quite well, it was a beautiful day here in the Carolinas, blue skies and sunshine! A little breeze, just lovely. It was easy getting in the car, we only went to the grocery store, and I took my walker, just as a precaution, and a warning to others to stay clear of me. I had no pain, did take a Percocet before we left, and I walked slowly, but straight back, and nice rolling of heel to toe. I find myself paying close attention to that.

I was glad to get back home, and iced and elevated for about an hour, then used the CPM and put flexion up to 90 with no problem. That made me feel very good. I think I could do more, if not for the swelling that's left in the knees, they are stretched very taut at that bend.

I did have more pain last night, woke up and took another Percocet, and eventually went back to sleep. Not a problem for me, I do nap most days for an hour or two, and feel I'm getting enough sleep.

Cindy - I surely don't feel like a hero, but am here for you, and will help in any way I can. I do understand the feeling of hope it gives, to hear that someone with initial problems, starts progressing nicely and feeling better as time goes by, so from that aspect I feel honored to do that, and hope it helps someone. I did go check out your thread, and sorry for all the pain you have endured, and hope you can find relief from your upcoming TKR. I will keep my fingers crossed for you!! :friends:

Ready - thanks for all your good wishes, and sending them back to you - hope you have a wonderful day with your loved ones, and will be visiting you soon!

Now, I better get myself ready, need to take shower and get dressed, make the bed, etc. I will be making a Quiche and some wheat free Focaccia bread, with sundried tomatoes and rosemary ... I can smell it now!! We also have a nice salad planned, tomatoes with mozzarella and fresh basil, and for dessert some strawberry shortcake - wheatfree of course!!

See you all later, be good my dear friends, and enjoy this day - painfree, I hope!!:flwrysmile:
 
Hi Barb! A little bit late, but HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to you. It sound like you had a wonderful day and I must say the quiche and Focaccia bread sounds wonderful. I an finding my appetite is still not there. I eat because I know I need the calories and protein to heal, and because of not wanting meds to hit an empty stomach, but so far not much in the way of "wow, I am really hungry". My daughter and the grandkids came to my apartment this morning and she made breakfast, we had French Toast and Bacon. And yummy coffee. I mainly watched the boys wolf down LOTS of food, and picked at mine.
I am glad your shopping outing went well, and I too and also so very conscious of standing straight with the rolling heel to toe gait when I walk. And I am just concentrating on one knee!! I say kudos to all of us and our accomplishments, every step and every day brings us closer to the reason we had this surgery in the first place. So I am very content to let my knee and my body dictate how much I do and when I do it.

Hugs and love to you!! :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Shelly, thanks for the good wishes, and sounds like you had a lovely Mother's Day celebration too!! :egypdance:

And you are smart to take things nice an slow, as you will see from the following report. Better slow and careful, than fast and then come to a full stop!!

We had a lovely day, and the meal was perfect. I did a bunch of preparation and probably over did a bit, getting up and down from my chair all during the hours they were here. And when everyone had gone home, around 4 pm, I went upstairs with my ice packs, and decided to use the CPM for a while, had it set on 90, and started to lift my right leg up into place, when all of a sudden, a sharp pain shot into my thigh muscle, right above the knee, I thought I heard a rip, and I let out a long scream and cried from the pain, for a few minutes. When it calmed down a bit, I tried lifting my leg again, and the muscle hurt so bad, I gave up and just cried some more. I thought I had possibly ripped open the stitches that attached the quad muscle, or something like that. I decided to get up and tried to walk, that was actually possible, but only by limping, so I went back to the bed, lifting my right leg up by the pant leg, and took two Percocet, and feel asleep from exhaustion.

Around 7:30 the phone rang, and it was Jennifer, to set up the appointment for this morning. I was in a deep sleep, and when she said, could I come by around 8:30 I looked at the clock and thought it was MOnday morning at 7:30?? I listened to her for a while, and said ...sure ... that should be fine, I should be able to get myself together, then I started telling her what happened, and as I came to more and more, I realized it must be Sunday evening, and I even said to her "wait, it's still Sunday, isn't it ... " lol, we both laughed at that one, and I told her I had taken two Percocets, and was a bit out of it. She said she would be here early in the morning, and she was just here, took a look, and said it wasn't as bad as I had thought. Not a road block, just a bump, and she wants me use the walker again, at least for a week, and not put any strain on the right thigh muscle for now. She did her magic again via massage, and wrapped my legs, and while she was working on them, she told me there was no damage done, stitches were not opened, and it was just my over active weekend, that must have made the muscle give up on me, when I tried to lift it on the machine, with a swing. The machine will be gone as of today, and as far as she is concerned, no big loss. There is research showing that patients with TKRs show no measurable profit from using the machine, over those who do not use it at all.

OK, so my daughter came back last night, I had texted her what happened, and that I was ok, but she insisted on sleeping here, and it was such a relief, I cried again when she got here, haven't cried this much in many years. I was so disappointed and discouraged, but that's all gone now, I know I will be ok.

So my sweet sister is doing all the shopping for baby shower on her own, she will bring me the diapers and rubber bands today, to start rolling them. Then tomorrow we will put the ribbons and decorating touches on. I made her a list, and she will take care of everything. I also ordered some stuff on amazon - what a life saver that shopping site is, I just love it!!!

I'm blessed with my family, truly I am.

Pain is gone now, I was even able to do a little bit of lift with knee on rolled towel, Jennifer said that was a good sign. And to just take it very easy rest of the week. I absolutely have to make it to the baby shower next Sunday. And we were supposed to go to dinner with my daughter's in laws, they are coming from out of town for the shower, not sure if I will be able to go, Saturday evening, but we shall see. I am icing non stop right now, and it feels good.

More later, I'm exhausted and think I will snooze for a little while .... :sleep:
 
Hello Barb,
So sorry about the pain you are having :console2: You PT jennifer sounds wonderful.
Do as she says & rest, maybe skip going out to Dinner Saturday. Save all your energy for the baby
shower on Sunday ! Take some pillows & ice packs.
All the best to you,
Diana :flwrysmile:
p.s- You truly do have a wonderful family :)
 
Oh, Barb. I am so sorry you had such a rough go. Those shooting pains can be scary and paralyzing! I am glad they have passed. More importantly, what did you learn? Hopefully that you are not ready for that much right now and to dial it back. Now, I get it: Easier said than done. Your pain was a probably a better reminder than any words or advice. Take it easy this week and let others take care of some shower details.
 
Oh Barb, I am sorry you hit a little bump in the road. But I expect all of us have or are going to at some point. We get to feeling good, we over-estimate the energy it takes to even do simple things and WHAM! We get reminded!! Sounds like you had no serious set-back, and bless your family! My friends and my daughter have been so wonderful while I feel like I sit here like a lump doing nothing. Then I remember I am doing a lot on the inside...I am HEALING!! That is hard work too. Just not readily visible. You will know as you get closer how much you can do, I am now realizing the energy drain from things I do today takes a day to recoup. Darn it anyway.
I hope you have a restful Monday and pamper yourself a bit by just relaxing and staying put in your chair unless absolutely necessary. I schedule all my around the house stuff around when I have to get up to go potty!

Love and hugs :friends:
 
Take it easy Barb. I think we may all have overdone it a little bit on Mother's Day. You have so much to look forward to there, so enjoy all the prep.

Dorothy
 
Could you send Jennifer the PT to Maine??!!

I love hearing these stories of wrapping and massaging knees. I would've loved that kind of TLC. Ultimately I got in with a great massage therapist who did as much for my soul and my morale as my knee.
 
Barb,
That sounds scarey, so glad everything is OK and it was just an overexerted (or overexhausted :whistle: ) muscle. I would have laid there and cried tears of frustration myself! We put so much into getting ready for knee replacement, we get ourselves through the hospital stay, and the hard work of PT - so there is that little fear always that if you do something wrong you could set yourself back. Fortunately I think the farther along we get and the knees heal it really is quite durable. Anyway yes, take it easy and make that diaper cake from a sitting & elevating position! (There was one of those at my daughter in law's baby shower a couple years ago and when I first heard someone was making one all I could think of was dirty diapers....I think having raised 3 kids I have post traumatic dirty diaper syndrome all these years later:sad: The cake was actually very very cute!)

Happy belated Mother's Day to all!

Heidi
 
Hi Barb, your experience would have been so scary:boohoo: , I'm paranoid about strange hurts, especially that I have undone something.:yikes: in hospital I over extended my knees, and boy did it hurt, they had to give me oxygen as I nearly passed out, but all was good.
Take care, look after yourself and only do what your body will let you do.
Your PT sounds wonderful, there should be more like her...
Hugs to you:friends:
Lee
 
Good morning everyone, I have been MIA for a few days, with best intentions to post daily, I just never even made it on line for past two days. I slept almost every minute that wasn't filled with nurses, PT, or decorating diaper cakes! :heehee: If sleep is the best medicine, I am pretty much cured by now, that's for sure!

So, yesterday was my 4 week anniversary, and I celebrated with ice cream. Hadn't eaten real, sugar and fat rich ice cream in years, pretty much, and it was a delicious treat, I enjoyed it completely, together with my sister. She has been running back and forth to my house daily, and we have two diaper cakes almost done, plus a small diaper cradle still being assembled. Once we started on them, it all came together pretty fast and effortless, it's all in the planning. I took some pictures as I went, but still have to upload. Will share them here, once I get them done.

Diana, I talked to Jennifer yesterday about going to the dinner on Saturday, and she thought I should call the restaurant ahead of time, and ask for a table against the wall, so I could occupy two chairs, one to sit on - with a stadium cushion or something similar, and one to put my legs up on. And to take ice packs. And of course my walker, mostly to keep people away from me, I like that idea. I just really don't want to miss out, and she said with good preparation, there is no need to. Doing the same for the shower, which is a bit easier of course, since my friend is having it at her house, and is getting a comfy place to sit etc. ready for me.

Den - thanks for your kind words, I will be sure to take good care of myself, and I hope you do the same!!

Ready - I have certainly learned my lesson, many lessons, actually. Everything you say is so true, I am in awe of your wisdom, we do only learn from our mistakes, it's just human nature, isn't it. I am so much more careful now, and won't let that exuberance at feeling better go to my head again!

Shelly - learning to let others do things for me is one of the hardest things I've done in a long time! And I"m not kidding ... I saw that on Mother's Day, I was still doing so much of the prep work, and even at the table, I was tempted to jump up and wait on others, which is really ridiculous, and I am conscious of it now, and trying to let others take care of me, instead of me taking care of everyone else. They are quite capable, if only I step back.

Dorothy - thanks for your kind words, and I agree - having this grandbaby to plan and prepare for has added so much happiness and joy to our lives, it is creating lots of endorphins and those can be as strong as pain meds, from what I understand. We need to find things to fill us up with good vibes, to take advantage of that fact!

MaryO - you are onto something here, as I have learned. Massage is a life saver, and has been for me in the past. I had back problems when I was younger, in retrospect I think some of it might have been caused by grief and I remember a time when I could only crawl out of bed in the morning, because I could not stand up due to pain. A massage therapist worked out the kinks back then, her hands were so healing, and she also had a gentle and kind spirit, it released a lot of pain in my back, but also my life. She is older and retired now, but I think of her sometimes, and how grateful I was for her at that time in my life. I am putting therapeutic massages on my list of things to keep with me - at least on a monthly basis, just to stay fit and healthy.

Heidi - so good to see you and I hope all is well with you! Crying can be such a powerful release, and I really let it go on Sunday, just cried bitter tears of pain, but also frustration and some bitterness about having to go through all this, and feeling sorry for myself. I don't cry often, it had been a long time, before this surgery, and it's almost like another lesson learned, it's ok to take advantage of that powerful tool we have to just cry it all out of our system, when we need to. And LOL at diaper cake trauma!!! you are too funny .... :loll:

Deb - thank you for thinking of me, and I send you big hugs for being such a sweetie and hope you are doing well!

Lee - oh, I know what you mean about needing oxygen to get past the excruciating muscle pain, I have fainted in the past, from pain of twisting an ankle, and felt very nauseous at that moment. I asked Jennifer about how to find a massage therapist in any given area, and she suggested doing a google search for "manual therapist massage therapist" and similar.

Today is my last home nurse visit, but I have one more week of PT at home, so grateful for that. Coumadin ends this week, glad to that, too. Otherwise, not much to report, will try to check in later, unless my knees decide I need to sleep away the rest of the afternoon again, which is fine with me, not missing out on much right now.

Oh, my boss wrote me an email yesterday, complaining about what a mess things are, and then at the end, a quick question as to how my knees are working out. I answered by writing him a novel about how lengthy and difficult this recovery is, and how it's hard work etc. Just so he doesn't get any ideas about me coming back early, lol! I'm taking all the time I need, and perhaps a bit more, just for good measure!! :egypdance:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Eastside85: On The Other Side
[Bonesmart.org] Eastside85: On The Other Side
[Bonesmart.org] Eastside85: On The Other Side


Been working on the diaper cakes a bit more, and thought I'd see how this photo posting is done - not sure I did this right? Seems that others have small pictures that you click on, then you see them large. Mine are large and inserted, from what I can tell. Still missing a few items, like the Giraffe rattle, it's in my mailbox, my sister will get it later this afternoon. We will pack the finished product in large clear gift basket bags, so they are easy to transport and stay clean.

More later. ;))
 
Barb, I give you major kudos for getting both done at once! Sounds like you have a great support system! I was reading your posts to my wife and she is even impressed! She loved the diaper cakes! She commented that it makes her wish we were at home in Michigan around our families, I know she misses them a lot. Work has taken us to Las Vegas and we don't really know anyone here. One day we will get back!

I hope you are healing from your little setback, I guess our bodies yell at us when we do too much.
 
Barb,
Your diaper cakes are just too cute !!! Doesn't it feel good that your boss is having a hard time
without you :wink: Don't you dare go back before you are ready :ok:When is the little one due? So much
good for you to look forward too !!!
Take Care,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom