Bilateral TKR Eastside85: On The Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick Follow Up:

Bert ROM today - 100
Ernie ROM today - 105

I am so excited!! I didn't expect this, but Jennifer did her magic, loosened me up with a quick massage, and after my standing exercises, she measured and even though I still feel some tightness, I'm progressing nicely. She checked strength of the knees, and gave me a 5 out of 5. We did a Patella loosening exercise/massage together, and she showed me how to massage the scar tissue along the incision, to slowly get rid of it all.

She thinks my Patella might have been replaced as well ... I really don't know. Is that pretty much standard procedure>? Does anyone know?

I feel so good right now, about everything, and even though there is a long road ahead, I have renewed hope and strength. I am going to miss her so much, we exchanged email addresses, to stay in touch. She wants me to let her know how things are going. Really a terrific woman and professional with a heart. :flwrysmile:
 
That is wondeerful news Barb. You are doing great and are truly an inspiration.
 
Hi Barb,
You are doing "awesome" Bert & Ernie seem to be pulling their own weight. :egypdance:Your
baby shower pictures were very nice. I am so happy for you!!!! :) I know you'll miss Jennifer, but you
can keep in touch. ( she's sounds wonderful ).
Next stop.......a brand new little baby to bounce on Bert & Ernie :happydance:
Life is Good....Have a great week end :SUNsmile:
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Barb, so good to see you. You are doing wonderfully it sounds like and I'm so proud for you. I pray I do as well!! I'm going to start my post thread in a few days. I've kind of got a case of the dreads, something I've fought off until just the last few days. Anyway, take care and keep up the good work! Hugs across the miles.
 
Barb just catching up on your thread and as usual you are doing so well. Loved all the baby shower photos and what a great idea the diaper cakes! Sounds like you are going to miss Jennifer she sounds like she was amazing! All the best!
 
I know they often replace the cartilage backside of the patella with what I think is a plastic "button", but not sure about the patella itself, which is attached to patellar tendons (?), which would be yet another challenge to reattach, etc. Likely just the button on the backside, so it slides smoothly and tracks properly as it moves over the resurfaced bone.
 
Can't believe it's been 5 days since I updated my journal - time is just flying now! Had a really fun holiday weekend, went shopping at Costco with my daughter, and did fine with my walker. Slow and steady gets the job done!
Monday we had nice relaxed cookout at my sister's house with the whole family - was yummy. She made me very comfy and I was not really terribly exhausted after all that, I've learned my lesson it seems. :)

And yesterday I made a fun lunch for a special friend, light and easy, but still had a busy morning. We sat and ate and talked for 3 hours, with me changing positions and chairs a few times. I finally got the cushions just right on my sofa, so I could sit and put legs up, and still get up easily. It's really getting easier and easier. Quads must be healing nicely.

Taking it very easy today, cleaned a bit, and go back to bed in between, just resting and chatting with friends online, watching a bit of TV, very relaxed today.

Tomorrow my 6 WEEK followup with OS. Hope he releases me to drive, I really miss being independent. Then next week, outpatient PT starts, and if he says its ok, I will start going to the pool for some aquacises. Really look forward to that, and hope to get a nice tan in the process!! :happydance:
 
So glad to see you again. You are doing so well-I'm proud of you! I know you will get a glowing report from your OS. I think not being able to drive will be difficult for me, but good things come to those who wait, right? Take care, see you again soon! TN hugs to you!
 
Catching up on your thread Barb, you sound like you are doing amazing! Hope the OS gave you the go ahead to drive. It just changed my whole perspective to become independent again. I had a great recovery but until I could actually drive myself somewhere I still sort of felt like an invalid.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Heidi
 
I can drive, I can go to the pool, incision ready for healing creams and scar tissue reducing massages, everything looks normal, knees look great on x ray, I grew an inch and a half - LIFE IS GOOD!!

:yay::egypdance: :happydance: :spin:

Doing my happy dance!

Instead of Celebrex I am taking Advil or Aleve, and still have plenty of Percocet 5/325 for nighttime, they even threw in another prescription, this OS is not stingy with pain meds, that's for sure.

I'm planning my first outing: a stop at grocery store, check out the new PT place close by, get birthday present for son in law, if I'm up to it all.

Christina took me yesterday, we stopped at my Mom's house after for a cup of coffee, then went to Lazyboy to order a Rocker/Recliner for the nursery. I wanted her to have one, because they are so comfy, better than the glider they had picked out at baby store, just didn't quite work.

thanks Deb and Heidi for the good wishes, it helped to have you on my side, everything has gone according to schedule so far!

Big hugs to everyone, see you later ... :friends: :bicycle1:
 
You are doing great. Sounds like you have a fun day planned. ENJOY!!!
 
Woo hoo - life is indeed good! It's a great feeling, isn't it? I rode 4 miles on my stationary bike this morning, am headed out the door now to PT then running errands, and then headed up to the lake this afternoon. Supposed to be 90 degrees this weekend, even up there in NH so I will also be swimming...no matter how cold the water is :yikes:

New knees are AWESOME :egypdance:

Enjoy the day and the weekend Barb!

Heidi
 
Hello dear friends!

today is my 8 week anniversary - and I'm definitely feeling much better every day, and can see a light at the end of the tunnel now! :happydance:


I had to search for a while to find my thread, once driving was back on the table, there's no holding me back! Been going to outpatient PT for about two weeks now, and feel satisfied with their services, once I whipped them into shape, haha... they are a very newly opened small location, with just one therapist, and an assistant, I'm usually the only one there, and I think there was a "reputation" that preceded me ... meaning, they were both a bit sour-pussy, and not friendly when I arrived. When she tried to push my leg to get better ROM, I told her I am not going to let anyone hurt me, and what she was doing was painful. - she immediately stopped and gave me an alternative movement, that I could control myself, so even though my first impression was not exactly positive, I decided to give them a chance, and now I'm glad I did. She really puts me through the motions, but it's been helpful and I'm progressing nicely. I am tired after my session, but never swollen or in pain, and they are getting much friendlier as time goes by ... really would love to know what the in home folks put in their evaluation ... :rotfl:

I have been reading the posts, as I find time, and isn't it amazing how this place is jumping!! I'm spending a lot more time out and about, visiting my Mom and daughter, meeting friends for lunch, having others over for dinner etc. Not over doing it, getting my rest in between, and doing a little shopping and house keeping as I feel like it.

I have a wedding to attend next weekend, and we are invited to the Bridal luncheon and then rehearsal dinner the day before. I think I'll be ok, with some planning, my daughter was going to be the Maid of Honor, but had to back out because of her due date, which is only two weeks later! Been shopping for some new clothes, that's been fun since I lost about 20 lbs since surgery, without much effort really, less appetite and more activity will do it every time! ;)

Gotta run, have PT and then going to my daughter's house, she had the dog groomers there, and the Husky was sheared, and both were bathed and clipped and made pretty. So I have to bring them a treat and see how they look, they are such sweeties and I really love them. She also is finished with the nursery, and I want to take some pictures of all the pretty things she made, like lampshades and pictures, they are definitely nesting.

Take good care, I will try to check in more often, just wanted to say hi and let you know I'm doing fine!

:bicycle1:
 
You sound wonderful Barb! Congratulations, good job, "atta girl" and all other appropriate phrases! Interesting too about the new PT group; I think all too often patients don't speak up so the PTs continue with the no pain no gain attitude. I'm glad you were able to change their approach :)

I agree, once I was able to drive again life just took off and happily so. I am truly jealous of the BTKR too - in retrospect I should have pushed for it. In the meantime I'm continuing to rehab and have the left knee scheduled for October. Grandchild #2 due January 1 so I should be feeling up to helping out by then :puppysmooze:

So glad to have made these Bonesmart connections, and so glad for all this RAINY weather as it gives me a chance to catch up on everyone.

Best wishes to your daughter for an easy happy delivery!

Heidi
 
Hi Barb, Well DONE:yay: on your recovery so far, it sounds like you are back doing most things you love, and good on you for standing your ground with the PT and getting off on the right foot..
I'm at 6 weeks and have just had my first visit to the OS, he is very pleased with my progress and has said to keep up with what I am doing & he will see me in 12 months time. (He also said I am a good role model for BTKR!!) I'm really happy with my right knee:happydance: , but having a few issues with my left:boohoo: , my bend is not as good as my right and I do get a sharp pain on the inside of my knee when trying to bend, both the OS and my Chiro said it's the tendons, so I guess it's just a matter of time until they heal.
Are you walking without a limp yet? I am walking without any aides but still have a slight limp because of the left knee, I haven't been to a PT yet, but now thinking I should go to see if they can help with this left knee problem. Haven't driven yet, as I have a manual, but will try and give it a go in the next few days.
Enjoy the wedding.
Take care and keep up your fantastic recovery.
Hugs, Lee:friends:
 
Hello Heidi - always such a pleasure to see your smiling face! :) Thank you for always thinking of me and glad to hear you are doing so well!! I skipped out on PT this morning, had two of my friends over for dinner last night, and was in lots of pain from Wednesday's session. I also think the rain/thunderstorms that we had last night, were major cause of excess pain and swelling - esp. in my left knee! Which brings me to ...

Lee !!- so good to hear from you! And how ironic that I am having exactly the same symptoms you are, the left knee is more swollen and painful, and I can't bend or straighten as well right now. It also feels like tendons or ligaments. sometimes I think maybe a nerve ... but it comes and goes, not as bad, when I rest and elevate and ice. I tend to limp for a few steps, but try and make myself consciously walk without the limp, if you know what I mean.

I will exercise today by walking up and down my stairs and a few simple stretches etc.

Had two friends over for dinner yesterday too, that was fun, but I was exhausted. It does feel good to get back to some normality, and I try to push myself to do something every day. Getting ready to head over to my daughter's house, to bring her some food. They are going to the beach this weekend, and I will stay with the doggies, that's easy, she has a big backyard, so I just open the door and they go out. It's comfy for me, and I'm thinking of asking my sister to sleep over as well. Or just come and spend some time with me during the day - we shall see. I like to make an effort to have family time when I'm at her house, since it's closer to my Mom and sister. Might have a little Kaffeeklatsch Sunday afternoon, haha!!

Let me see if I can upload a few pics of Murray and Mara, those sweet rascals ... Mara is so proud of herself, and loves being rid of the heavy undercoat in this heat, and Murray loves to rest his head on the baby bump, did it from the time it was small, he snuggles up to it as if listening. The baby is moving a lot right now, can't wait to see how the dogs behave around him!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Eastside85: On The Other Side
    foxy Mara is sheared 2013.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 215
  • [Bonesmart.org] Eastside85: On The Other Side
    Murray sleeping on top of Hudson.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 211
Barb
I had not checked in on your thread for awhile - I love the joyful tone of your posts as each week goes by. I'm at 10 weeks today. I agree with you: Driving makes a HUGE difference, and getting out of the house each day is an important step back to normal life. This past week my calendar has been booked as I catch up with people I haven't seen since April! I've gone to a couple of movies and also participated in a community choir activity.

It sounds as though your family keeps you hopping (so to speak)! And good luck with PT. I am so grateful to my own PT's though I haven't always loved the exercises themselves. I have to travel (actually, make a four-hour drive!) next week and am taking along all my PT props, my gel packs for icing, extra pillows for nighttime, etc.

Thanks for the cute photos! Now I must go get ready to go out to dinner with a friend - and a glass of wine!
j
 
Barb, yeah for you, sounds like you are doing super great. So happy for you, keep up the good work, and enjoy that new baby-I know you're ready. There's nothing like grandchildren. I am going to my thread to post an update so as not to clutter yours, so check in on me there!! Take care, love, hugs, and happiness to you!!
 
Well, here I am, 3 months since surgery, and doing relatively well. Had my second post op OS appointment on Tuesday, and he seemed pleased with my progress. I still have a bit of stiffness and pain and swelling in my left knee/leg, it's not doing as well as my right leg, but he said that's the way it is with healing, they have their own time line, and it could take a year, sometimes two, before everything is normal again. I have no problem walking or standing in place for extended periods of time, balance is great, walking stairs still one at a time, but it's muscle weakness more than anything.

My grandson was supposed to arrive today, this was his due date, but so far, no sign of him! My daughter had another ultrasound this morning, and he said the baby is showing no signs of being in a rush to come out, just hanging in tight! She is getting miserable, and we spend as much time as possible at the pool together, which is good for both of us.

I was discharged from PT, this group did nothing for me, as far as I'm concerned. I'm doing my own thing now, moving around as much as I do, I don't feel need for formal exercises, but do my stretches and bending when in bed, watching TV, and in the pool of course. I might look for another PT when the baby is here, until then, everything is on hold. My insurance has no limit on PT, so I might not go back until later in the fall.

I have been reading here once in a while, even on my phone when on the go, but never seem to find the time to sign in and post. Feel bad about that, but I stay in touch with my bonesmart buddy via text, that has been reassuring as we seem to be pretty much on the same schedule, and cheer each other on, as needed. :yay:

Weather is getting hot now, all the rain we had on the east coast caused me so much pain, more than I have when the sun is shining. Lots of storms here, and they make themselves very noticeable in my bones. I still take a Percocet here or there, esp. at night, if I wake up and can't get back to sleep, because the legs are uncomfortable. My doc is very generous with his prescriptions, but I guess he could see that I only averaged 3 a day for the past 3 months, so I couldn't really be an addict yet ... :heehee:

I will try to stop in with some of you, this weekend, unless I get the call to get me to the maternity ward - STAT! My daughter asked that I be in the delivery room, so that is making me a little bit apprehensive. I just pray that all goes well, and she doesn't have to suffer too much or too long ... I had a C section and have a sneaking suspicion that she might end up having one as well, the baby is already around 9 lbs, give or take a lb, and no dilation or water break yet, he's not dropped enough, head not in place , uterus nice and plump ...etc. ... she wants to have natural child birth, and has been so good about going to the classes and doing everything right, so my hope is, she can do it the way she hopes for.

Best wishes to all, hope everyone is healing well and enjoying the Summer!

Hugs,
Barbara
:angel:
 
Hi, Barb. What a great report. Soon, this will all be behind you. I bet you are so glad you did them both and aren't facing another run at it. You've done so well and been so brave.

Enjoy that grandbaby when it finally comes!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom