Bilateral TKR Eastside85: On The Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Barb just checking in to see how your going with that new PT I hope everything is going well for you now! :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Barb, I have been catching up on your thread: Sad for you and mad at the PT one minute, then read on and things are better and I am smiling for you. What a roller coaster. I am so sorry you had such a rough start, but once again your positive attitude has lifted you, just as you have lifted so many of us with your positive messages when we were struggling.

Rest well, hope you can figure out the elevation thing.
 
Hi Barb - I just found your thread. Congratulations on your two new knees! You sound so great, especially since it hasn't been quite 3 weeks since your surgery! Your experience in hospital with the night nurse sounded terrible - sorry you had to go through that, but it's good that you spoke up. And, again, a "not so nice" home PT - what was she thinking walking around your house, looking into things? Now you have a lovely PT and I'm happy to hear that she's so nice. You've really done well and I'm so happy to hear your reports. I'm counting the days until my surgery a week from today. I'm so extremely busy this week, I really have little time to think about it until it's night. And then, the reality and fear set in. I'll be fine though. I've had great encouragement from so many wonderful people on this forum. Looking forward to hearing more about your recovery and hope you have the pain and swelling under control. Again congratulations!
:flwrysmile:
 
Just checking in to see how you are doing? This recovery really flies by doesn't it? I find myself amazed that it is now measured in weeks (or months) and no longer days. izzie, you really are in what I think is the hardest part of the journey...the dreaded waiting! Hopefully surgery morning will find you calm and serene. One nice thing I found was that on the morning I arrived at the hospital everything was new and so very interesting - I kept asking questions!
Heidi
 
Good Morning all you Lovelies! The days really are flying by right now, every morning I have best intentions to start up my laptop, but these past days, it just hasn't happened. Partly, just general fatigue, and also more company and doing so many things on my own now, very time consuming, but satisfying.

Like Cathy, I have been fighting that wonderful constipation, and it takes a good combination of tricks to get regular. I slightly over did that a few days ago, and have been more than regular ... :whistle:

My lovely PT Jennifer is coming by 3 times a week right now, she's been massaging my legs, for an hour, and then wrapping them in ace bandages, just lower legs, and it feels heavenly. By the time she leaves, I can hardly keep my eyes open, it's so incredibly relaxing, and I take a long nap afterwards. Then wake up with great appetite, and been making a delicious rib eye steak daily, for the protein. And a small salad, absolutely my favorite meal right now.

Feeling better daily, ROM up to 85 and 84, respectively. I'm quite happy with that, since I still have a lot of tightness in the knees themselves, but she has worked out the kinks in my calves and thighs, and I can do wonderful straight leg lifts, also good bend when I sit at the edge of the bed. Can't wait for measuring on Friday, I am hoping to be up to 90 by then! :happydance:

A lot of time is also being spent on my daughter's baby shower, on May 19, and I signed up to do the center pieces. Her nursery colors are gray/yellow, with white furniture, looks quite lovely. We are trying to keep the theme colors to those as well. So, I have my sister running errands for me, and I intend to go shopping with her next week, my first outing. Will give those electric carts a try ... :heehee: Looking for a nice big grey basket, to put little pots of yellow tulips in and cover with Spanish Moss. Also making a diaper cake, have never done that, but Youtube is a big help, amazing what all we can learn from that site. I have a wind up yellow giraffe with grey spots to use on top, they are so cute!

Everyone is coming to my house on Sunday for Mother's Day, we are planning a brunch - daughter has that one covered. I really look forward to it, for one thing, I haven't seen my Mom since I left the hospital, but we talk daily. She is very fragile, and I was afraid it would wear her out, and me too.

My third week anniversary of surgery was yesterday, it seems like it's been much longer than that! I'm walking without any help now, no cane, no crutches, let go of walker after a few days at home. Gait fairly good, I pay attention to not limping etc. I can hear my knees crunching/clicking a bit. I took my shower all on my own yesterday, cleaned up my kitchen, just a few things that I use, but still. Cleared out the dish washer, and a lot of the exercises we do, are just what I needed, stretching, bending, getting on tippy toes etc. I even ran my vacuum cleaner, just a small area, in my bedroom and hallway. Want to do a load of laundry this morning, otherwise, just the routine exercising and resting. Everything wears me out quickly, then it feels good to crawl back in bed, and watch a bit of TV.

All in all I'm doing really well, at least I think so. Thanks again for all the good wishes and words of encouragement, it makes such a difference to know someone is thinking of you and taking time to leave a greeting, I need to start doing that more, and will go visit a few journals right now, to do just that!! :friends:
 
Heidi, Thank you! Waiting is the worst part -- I think because not having been through this surgery, one doesn't really know how they will react and what to expect. Not too much longer to go and I should be busy getting my house in order and not worrying about it. I will look on the hospital experience with the same attitude you had and that is everything is new and interesting. Thanks again!
Diane, Congratulations on passing your 3 Week Anniversary -- Your recovery is sounding just great! Jennifer sounds like a Godsend, I'm happy to hear she is taking such good care of you. And you are making progress which is all that counts. Getting around without your walker, doing chores, planning the baby shower (what fun!) and Mother's Day sounds like it will be so nice. Again congratulations and hope you keep improving in leaps and bounds!
:flwrysmile:
 
Yes. Congrats on 3 weeks out and looking good.:ok: Make sure you don't overdo with all of the festivities you have planned.
 
Elizabeth (is Izzie your nickname, or did I read you have a kitty cat? ... not sure now, but just incase, how do you like to be addressed )

I just found your thread in pre surgery and left you a post, but thought of something else I wanted to mention, the fact that I had taken two bags to the hospital, one small bag with things for hospital stay - and a bigger one, with clothes for rehab. I didn't unpack one thing from hospital bag, literally lived in the gowns, used their toiletries, which were quite nice, actually. And I did wear the rubber sole socks, and walked quite well in them. I was just thinking, I have not worn shoes at all since I got home, I go barefoot all the time, and so far, have not been told it's the wrong thing to do. In rehab, I did have my little suitcase brought in and changed into my capri yoga pants and a top, but wasn't there long enough to make it worth my while. They do want to see that you can get dressed on your own, and do other things, which I was able to do early on. Everyone is different though, and you might need your personal items. I was so nauseated and generally disgruntled, I didn't want my personal things out at all. The hospital was not very clean, either. I kept using my Purell and wipes and such, and tried not to touch much around me. That was sad to see. Jennifer made a remark yesterday, that most healthcare facilities are cutting way back on expenses, and that was obvious in this hospital. They had such a good reputation, but my guess is that will be over with soon.

But don't let it scare you, I just have to be honest, this was my experience, and obviously does not mean it will be yours. So many others have terrific hospitals and nurses, so just keep up your spirit and we are all here for you, with help and encouragement!!
 
Barb, do you know what type of surgery you had? Do you know what implant you received? Just curious as I am doing Bi-lat on May 29th. I am lining up my questions for my OS prior to surgery. Thanks!

Limpynomore
 
Yes, I so agree with Barb about the hospital room not being exactly...clean and pristine! Of the "too many" things I took the thing I used the most was a bottle of hand sanitizer. Also if you wear glasses but tend to take them off and on buy a chain. I could put them on to read something but then take them off to relax or nap and not worry about them falling on the floor.
 
Hi Barb, so glad you're doing well!! And going to have a new baby in your family, too? Is this the first GRANDbaby? They are wonderful. I just got back from Florida, my last hoorah before surgery, a much needed vacation. Weather was beautiful, had a good time with a good friend. Well, the days are ticking off pretty fast, my surgery date will be here before I know it. Thanks for all your encouraging words, glad your new PT is MUCH better! Take care, friend, and keep on keeping on!
 
Hi Barb, In answer to your question about the name Izzie - I do go by Elizabeth, but my friends usually just call me Liz, Lizzie, Izzie. So I answer to them all, so take your pick. My kitty cat is named "Kittie" :kittykiss: When we rescued her, my boys wanted to name her Kittie, so we did. And I have two little rescued pups, Maddie and Jack :puppysmooze: . Okay, enough about the names :heehee:


Taking two bags to the hospital is a great idea. I think I will probably be much like you and stay mainly in the hospital gowns for a while. One for the front, one for the back. We were encouraged to bring easy to slip on pants and tops, so I will take a couple just in case. When I go to in-patient rehab, I will take a bit more in case I stay longer.

On this forum, I met someone locally who had her Bilateral in January - Sandi aka kcsandip. She referred me to the hospital where she had her in-patient rehab. I had a tour there and really liked what I saw. But, you never know how clean, or not, a place is until you are actually there. I will definitely be taking hand sanitizer and a package of disinfectant wipes. I like baystater's suggestion to take an eyeglass chain thingy (I forgot what to call them).

My little mound of things to take is growing, but I realize that I don't need to take a lot. So, I'll make my best effort to not overdo. For sure, I know I want eyedrops, Qtips, dental floss, toothpaste, toothbrush, comb, brush, and moisturizer! I also have some essential oils I will be taking with me which also makes the room smell very nice. Years ago, I had a major surgery in Atlanta. I was able to check into my hospital room prior to the surgery and gave it a good going over with lemon essential oil. All the nurses loved to come into my room and would always take a deep breath and remark on how wonderful it smelled.

Thanks so much for all the support, suggestions and sweet thoughts! I'm so glad to hear you are making such progress in this short period of time - 3 Weeks! I think it's just amazing! My fingers are crossed that I will have a similar experience. Hope all the swelling is soon under control and have a wonderful weekend. Don't worry about checking in on me - you have a very busy time these next few days and I will start a thread for the other side so that I can check in after the surgery. Thanks again! Have a Great Weekend!!
:flwrysmile:
 
Izzie, I was planning on doing the hospital gown route...they are easy, always a fresh supply and just plain handy. I went back and forth and back and forth, and finally my friend just went to Wal-Mart, and bought me a wonderful soft pair of jammies. Capri bottom and sleeveless button up top. They honestly were the first pair of real jammies I have had in years!! I changed into them the second day when the hospital gown kept getting tangled under me and because when I was using the hospital CPM machine it offered absolutely no coverage of the lady-parts! I liked them so much she brought me another pair I considered myself very fashionable!!

Barb, I am so happy you are doing well after a rough start. It is wonderful you have found a PT that you love. My PT also massages my knee inbetween sets of exercises and it always feels so good. I am not having a huge problem with swelling but the knee itself likes the attention!

How in the world are you finding the energy to even focus on a baby shower and Mother's day?? I know you are a week ahead of me, so I am hoping this week I will start to gain a little in the energy department. I am happy just feeling well and having a good day. Your decorating ideas sound super cute though! I hope you will be able to share a couple of pictures of the centerpieces!

Keep up the good work!! Thinking of you and sending loves and hugs. xx

:friends:
 
Hello everyone, and thanks for all the lovely posts - just love to read here, it's always entertaining and educational! :heehee:
But seriously, I so enjoy reading about everyone's experiences, and isn't it amazing how different we all are.

Limpynomore, as far as I know, my surgeon does just the classic total knee replacement, with the tourniquet and does not need blood transfusions. He uses Stryker Triathlon replacement. Hope that answer your questions? I know he is very fast, surgery for both took 1 1/2 hours, and he does it all himself.

Heidi, interesting that your room also did not strike you as very clean. I know they did not come and clean the floor at all, there was never any clean up that I noticed, but they did make up the bed once a day. One day, they hadn't changed linens so in late afternoon, I rang my bell and asked for change of linens, and they acted all surprised it hadn't been done. I really have never experienced a hospital like this before, and just can't get over it.

Thanks Ready, I can say that today - well, yesterday actually - I feel more interested in life again. For the past 3 weeks, I really didn't care much how I looked, just interested in feeling better and getting rest etc. Then yesterday, suddenly the idea to paint toenails! And this morning, I got up and did two loads of laundry, and folded and put away. I do rest in between, but I feel good. Jennifer came around 10 am and did her magic massage and wrap, and said we will put measuring off til Monday, she watched me walk and said I look great, no waddle, no limp, I even swung my arms and my hips, lol!!

Deb - yes, I am expecting my first grandchild, and it's one of the happiest feelings I can imagine. He is an active little guy, I could literally see him moving around under my daughter's belly, and we were watching him for a few minutes, giggling each time something pushed out under the skin. So amazing!!! :dancy: I can't wait!

Izzie, I think you are quite well prepared for all that is coming at you. The more you learn about everything that might happen, the better. That way, nothing is a surprise or causes fear, you just think "oh yeah, I remember reading about this, so and so had the same thing happen, so it's just normal". I had just about everything happen, that could possibly happen, and still came through it in one piece and with relatively little anxiety, because I had informed myself quite well, from many different sources, esp. right here at Bonesmart, and in turn, I'm still reaping benefits, like yesterday, one of my best friends stopped by after work, and while talking I had a shooting nerve pain in my knee, and screamed a little, then said "sorry, my nerves are reconnecting", lol!

Shelly, I am so glad you're doing so well, too!! It's been rough for all of us, more or less, we each have our journey, but in the end, we are all better off for having made the decision to do this for ourselves. Hugs backatcha!!!:friends:

Before I forget, wanted to share something Jennifer told me this morning. With the right massage therapist, scar tissue can be gotten rid of, even years later! I have had a little fluid pocket on the side of my left knee, for at least 8 years, which developed after I had arthroscopy. I mentioned it to the doctor back then, but he didn't seem phased by it. She did some intense massage on that area today, because it's still there, which surprised me. It did hurt a little but, not bad, but she said even now, the scar tissue can dissolve. I forget exactly how it all works, but has something to do with muscle tissue holding water and scar tissue is much stronger than normal muscle tissue. Sorry I forget the details, but the important fact to me is: do not let the doctors and nurses scare you about scar tissue and adhesions, because if you are one of the "lucky" ones with lots of swelling to delay bending and flexion etc, do not despair, work on that problem first (the swelling) and then later you can get the ROM you desire. Which goes right along with what Josephine and others here are saying. She is very much against MUA and scoping etc. to remove scar tissue, there are less invasive ways to remove it, you just have to find someone who knows how. I'm going to keep her around, and pay her for massages once my home health care is over, will be money well worth spending, in my book. She also recommended a good outpatient PT, they are new in town, but she knows them from the other location, so I would never have found them.

I just feel so very lucky to have come across this woman, she is truly a God Sent!!:angel:
 
Shellbelle, Thanks for the PJ suggestion. Makes perfect sense, especially if they will be using the CPM machine - and I do want my lady parts covered. I have lots of soft, baggy, pull up pants and t-shirts, so I'll take some of those. At our joint class, we were told we'd be up the day of surgery, and the next morning we'd be up at 7 AM preparing for our first PT. They want us in our comfy stretchy clothes and shoes. I honestly don't know how I will have the energy, but working with joint replacement patients is all they do, so .... we'll see. You are so sweet to check in on me. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. :friends:

Barb, you are really something! You have a very full weekend. I know you are enjoying your time at home and this weekend you will be with your family which will be wonderful! Happy Mothers Day!
:flwrysmile:
 
Hi Barb,

I’m so grateful that you shared the information from Jennifer about scar tissue. Like you, I have these fluid/scar pockets on my knees after arthroscopy on both. I asked my OS about them and he said they would still be there after the BTKR. He said if he tried to remove them surgically, it would leave an ugly crater in the tissue and he thought it was best to leave them alone. So …. I’m very glad to hear that Jennifer is working on yours. Please keep us posted on how that is going. My fluid/scar tissue pockets retain a lot of water. I’m so glad you have Jennifer!

I'm so glad you're feeling good! And … Congratulations on the new Grandchild! You sound so excited to meet him. It is a miraculous thing, carrying that little baby around and having him move in your tummy – just amazing!
 
You are so welcome, Izzie, I love to share whatever I can, as I love everything that you and others share here. It's all very interesting and helpful to me, no matter how miniscule. I think I did read that you also had some fluid pockets left from arthroscopy, and so far so good. That knee is definitely smaller this morning, but I will admit, I had some pain last night, when I woke up to go potty. I had to take a Percocet to get back to sleep, and was a little bit alarmed. But this morning, that pain is almost gone, and the fluid has lessened noticeably! My knees are not recovering the same way at all, btw. They are doing their own thing, for instance the right one is clicking, the left one is not. I have more swelling on the right, even though before surgery, my left leg was always a little bigger than my right, and tended to retain more fluid. The fact that I can walk to nicely makes up for the double pain, because I dod think two knees hurt a lot more than having one knee done. A small price to pay in the long run, since only one surgery, one recovery period, and they are the same length, helping with gait - I have not had any backaches or hip problems, which seem to happen a lot when one knee is done, and the other still in bad shape.

I have to get ready, my daughter is at prenatal yoga, and will come pick me up after. My first outing today, and I'm just a bit apprehensive and sitting in the car, with legs down. Will take a pillow on advice of Cathy, to put feet on to raise a bit.

Will check back later to see how everyone is doing, have a great day!! :friends:
 
Hi Barb, Your knees pre-op sound very much like mine. Fluid filled, one is usually larger and more painful than the other, one leg feels shorter than the other, I walk with a limp, etc. Jennifer must have given you a deep massage yesterday, but I know it will be very beneficial. I can't wait to hear how your knees respond after she's done it several times. I will have a car ride home from the hospital and have thought it might be best for me to sit in the back seat with legs resting long way across the back seat with a pillow under them. I don't think it's legal, but it's not a very long way home from the hospital. Have a wonderful weekend and again - Happy Mothers Day!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom