Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Eastside85: On The Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Barb, I hope all is going well with your recovery :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Barb, hope you're doing OK as you begin the recovery/rehab segment of your journey. Hugs for you and prayers for a kind, caring, excellent PT to make your rehab as easy as possible!!
 
Hi Barb, popping in to say hello, and hope you are doing well in your recovery. Sending some hugs and good wishes and good thoughts and prayers your way. xx

:friends:
 
So glad to hear you are doing well Barb. Keep up the good work. Bacon and eggs. What hotel are you staying at? :rotfl: No hot breakfast offered where I was!! Just jealous, you enjoy. Take care. Jenny :puppysmooze:
 
Barb, I'm so anxious to hear how your doing-I hope your recovery has started out well. Take care and post when you can! :puppysmooze: and a big ole hug(I give good hugs, so I've been told)
 
HI Barb just popping in to let you know I'm thinking of you and I hope your recovery is going well for you. :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Barb,
You're either working hard on your recovery or you're out dancing....I'm thinking you're probably working on the recovery! Hope things are going well, :puppysmooze:
Heidi
 
Hi Barb, we haven't heard from you for a while I hope your doing okay that's why you haven't posted for a while. Thinking of you and sending big hugs.:friends: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:
 
Hello all my dear friends! How lovely to see you all here, I have missed everyone so much, and I am really sorry it took me so long to get back online, my eyes were so unfocused from the meds, I could not post on my phone anymore, and my time in the hospital became increasingly negative, esp. at night, I am sure they were shorting my medication, pain was terrible at times, and I was truly scared.

Tried to get moved to rehab floor early on, but for some reason insurance didn't come through with the necessary info. So on Monday, by the time they had moved me, I was totally fed up with the entire thing, and wanted to go home, but had to wait until Wednesday, that was April 24. Once home, I threw up from exhaustion and I was so swollen, hadn't had a bowel movement, that took another two days to get straightened out, but slowly I have been getting myself back to normal, with good tender loving care from family. Home health care nurse and PT have been visiting as scheduled, and my staples were removed yesterday.

I've been up and walking since day 1 - not unusual I think, but did get praised that I was doing better with two new knees than some with one knee. The stiffness, black and blue marks up and down legs, esp. in the back, swollen legs, nausea, foggy head, all came true for me, and I am taking my Percocet every 4 hours, two of them. In the hospital I was also given Oxicodone - slow release - every 12 hours. I didn't fill that one yet, thought I could get along without it, but I wake up every 3 to 4 hours in pain, without alarm clock, and I might just get that one to take in addition to perhaps 1 Percocet, to brdge the gap, if that makes sense.

They also gave me prescription for Celebrex, haven't filled that one either, not sure if I want to take it. Have heard it really helps the inflammation, does anyone have an opinion on this, or good or bad experience to share?

I do not like my PT and going to call my doctor office tomorrow to try and get them to do my own home PT - she is on vacation this week, and was here Saturday and will be back on Friday, so if that's ok, I don't need her. They did not offer replacement, and of course I did not ask. It's so painful, she just stands there and tells me to do this 10 times, that 20 times, no real involvement, she walks around my house, looking in closets, turning lights on, remarking on things, made me feel uncomfortable.

The nurse is ok, a little young perhaps, but does her job. The steri strips do not cling to me, does anyone else have that problem? Do they actually serve a purpose? so thin and not really holding anything together, that I can tell.

I feel like Young Frankenstein, esp. in the morning, but walking without my walker now, most of the time, and I growl a bit, just to humor myself.

I'm not quite at the stage were I'm happy to have done this, but realize I will be. It's so uncomfortable.

I'm not bored at all though, I have my command center built up in my bed, on one side is my Continuous Motion machine, and everything else within reach. My daughter had my laptop fixed, and I just got it back, what a joy! I can't sit for any length of time, because of bruising on back of legs, and the wounds are very hot and swollen and stiff, and I don't want to bend too much, as to not open the barely healed places up to more bleeding. It doesn't look too terrible, still not pretty though.

My sweet buddy Cathy aka Maddoxsmom :angel: got me through the worst of it, we texted greetings and experiences back and forth daily, and we had so much in common, it was reassuring, not sure what I would have done without her!!

My sister and daughter are taking turns sleeping over, they run errands during the day, and it's been fun. I esp. love sitting in bed, with them on the couch next to me, drinking coffee in the morning, and chatting to our hearts content. I've told them I really don't need them here at night anymore, but they won't hear of it, how long do you think I need to be worried at night time? I really feel quite capable of doing things, helped make dinner yesterday, taking showers without problem, getting dressed etc. But it's nice to have them here, so I won't complain, just that it doesn't really seem necessary. I'm glad to see them during the day and let them get me things and do laundry and vacuum etc.

Had a few visitors, that's been fun, even though it's exhausting, and when they left, I nod off, my eyes just close and I'm gone. Have had no trouble sleeping at all, of course it's still in installments, but doesn't seem to phase me. I feel grateful for that.

Will read for now, and post more later, I feel like I've let so many of you down, by not being able to post, but have thought about you and can't wait to find out how you are doing!!!
:friends:
 
You seem to be working your way forward very well. I love the growling to go with the stiff walk. That's funny! Your sense of humor will be a great asset. I do like Celebrex. Some doctors think that NSAIDs like Celebrex help calm pain by calming inflammation.

Best wishes for continued good luck!
 
Barb, it's so wonderful to hear from you and be reassured that you are OK, although you've had some difficulties. "This too shall pass". Sounds like you are getting refocused and of course, it always helps to be back at home. Hope you find a better PT, sounds like this one might need some reeducation on bedside manner possibly?? I've checked each day to see if you had been able to post, and by the way, you have NOT let us down at all!! We were just all really concerned because we hadn't heard from you. One day at a time. . . Take care!
 
Yeh Barb your back :yay: I've been worried about you. Sorry to hear that you have been through a rough patch but from reading on here we will all go through them at some stage. I know what you mean about feeling like a young Frankenstein I have felt like that for months! hobbling and limping around like an old granny! Like you I'm enjoying the resting time and how wonderful that your family is supporting you so well. Keep them coming at night for at least another week to give you company and help out with the little things that are hard to do. Also to keep your sanity and that your not going through this alone.

I found the best thing that has kept me in good spirits mind you I'm only day 3 and still have the support of the hospital is really keeping on top of the pain meds and taking them like clockwork even if I don't have any pain. I feel like I'm rattling with all the pills. I have been taking celebrex for about 12 months and really find it helps they still have me on 200g once a day. Also eating prunes I haven't needed to take Movicol for the last two days and I have had to ease off the prunes I think I ate a couple too many :heehee: I was determent not to get constipated after reading about others that had.

So far for me the PT has been the same she just watches me do a set of exercise same ones on this site correctly and tells me how many more sets to do during the day and she is off. She said she was going to work a bit more on the ROM today if my knee is up to it but it feels a lot stiffer and swollen today so will see what happens there. I hope you can work out your PT with someone that you are happy with. Quite a few people on here have just done it themselves at home but I know I would get a bit lazy after a while I need someone to push me and make sure I am doing them properly.

Take care Barb we are all thinking of you and wishing you well! :friends: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:
 
Barbara, I'm just seeing your thread now. Welcome to recovery! Those first couple of weeks tend to be ugly, but you actually have done pretty well! I was not up walking that first week! It's all patience and trying to find the right balance of things from here, and just when you think you've sorted it, there will be surprises. But it's just the bumpy road that will take you to the sweet, smooth road of pain free activity! It's worth the wait to get there!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Eastside85: On The Other Side
    image-1689338419.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 166
Good morning all, I had a good night, good breakfast, and went to the bathroom!!! YAY!!!!

It's amazing how the little things in life take priority right now. :happydance:

Mary - thanks for your kind words, my little growls along with the stiff legged walk to make me gigle! :heehee: I called my insurance this morning and found out Celebrex is covered, with a $25 copay! I am going to send my sister to get that one filled asap. As well as the slow release Oxi, why suffer?

Then called doctor's office to make follow up appointment, had no idea this OS likes to see patients at 2 weeks out? Told him I'm just not ready, want my daughter to take me, and she can't until next Tuesday, so that seemed fine with them. Wonder what the hurry is? I also left message for his nurse to say I'm canceling PT until further notice and doing my own exercises.

Deb - thanks so much for watching out for me, you are a dear friend! And I am big on "this too shall pass" ... life brings us so many chances to realize this one! :friends:

Sweet Kathy - thank you for all your empathy and compassion ... and I need to head on over and see how you did with your surgery ... knowing you, you've been a trooper and from what you wrote here, you are coming through with flying colors!!! :egypdance: Good on ya, Matey! :)

Constipation is not something to be taken lightly. My routine was to take Colace and prune juice daily while in hospital, I never did get the laxative I asked for, not sure why, just another one of those things. But as soon as I was home, I started back on my Pro Biotic, that works wonders for me, also Magnesium Citrate, I had a liquid form, that Cathy reminded me, mine is called Natural Calm, I drank two big glasses of that, and the next morning, my daughter made me full fat yoghurt with fresh fruit and some GROUND FLAXSEED - this is my saving grave, and best resource. All of the above brought above smooth success by second morning, and it was easy and painless. WIshing you the same!! :flwrysmile:


Janet - my hero!!! I didn't remember you didn't walk that first week, I think I've been lucky with my quads, no pain in the muscle whatsoever, and quite strong. Upper body strength has also been good, to help scoot me around etc. The only truly uncomfortable and at times very painful part is the knee area, so swollen, and can't bend. I can straighten both knees to 0, but ROM has only been around 65 - 68 - 70 at most. I'm find with it for now, can sit at bed edge with legs hanging down, to me that seems like a 90? Is that not correct? Sometimes I think they like to measure a bit less in the beginning, so it looks like their work is bringing success. For me right now, I'm happy with where I am, and I know deep down, as soon as the swelling recedes, knees will bend just fine.

I need to read up on those early stretching and ROM exercises, my knees are still so swollen, hope the Celebrex will help. I"m not good about elevating, I do ice a good bit, but keeping the legs up is painful for some reason, and inhibits my activities, if I'm to lie down flat. Should I get one of those large foam wedges? Would that be helpful? Any solutions for good elevation without having to be completely inactive?

Almost time for my meds, then a bit of TV, and then lunch, I'm on my own today, and it feels good to me. I will accept the overnights until follow up visit, after that I think I will be fine on my own. I haven not needed anybody at night, not once since home.
 
Barb you sound wonderful! I am so impressed with your posts and how well you're doing - like Janet2012 I was struck by the fact you were walking unaided, on two new knees :SUNsmile: I "only" had one TKR but it took me 3 weeks to finally lose the cane for those short trips to the bathroom or around the kitchen :shrug:

And I especially love the part about enjoying morning coffee and conversation with your daughter and sister. Isn't it funny how little rituals like that take on a whole new meaning once you are recovering? Just such a nice way to start your morning.

Too bad you can't get a more likeable home PT. It does help having the home visit IF the person is someone who can gently help and who will actually interact with you. I am now in week 5 of my PT visits, and this will be her last week. I'll miss her, she has really helped me not only attain the flexion but the extension as well. For every exercise I couldn't do in the beginning she would come with an alternate for me that would work. I've really enjoyed her, and she's fun to talk to. Just a thought...if your PT is being provided through a visiting nurse association (and covered by your insurance) could you call them and ask them to send someone else?

Either way my dear you are doing fantastique as the French say! :cheers2:

Keep up the good work...and the flax seed :heehee:

Heidi
 
Good Morning, BoneSmarties!!

Thanks for your kind words Heidi, and I agree with everything you said! I have a new PT and she is fabulous, she came yesterday and spent the entire time massaging my legs, she called it a lymph-edema massage, I think, and she was so empathetic about how difficult it would be to bend my knees with so much swelling esp. at the back of my legs, they are still quite black and blue, and I hugged her when she left, I just love her! She asked if she could come 3 times a week, and I told her that would be lovely!

What a difference a day makes!!!

I feel so much better already, still some swelling, but she showed me how to lightly move my open hands up the legs, starting at ankles, and it helps so much, already much looser and I had gained 10 degrees of ROM by the time she left.

I will admit I had broken down crying a few times the previous day, nothing big, just a feeling of hopelessness and not feeling any support at all from the PT folks. That has changed dramatically now, and I have a very positive outlook now. I KNOW I can do this!!

I slept almost 12 hours last night, my first night alone, my daughter was working late, and I didn't want her coming over after work, it just isn't necessary. Sister had to work early today, and I just really didn't need any help at all these past 2 weeks, so I just asked them to please stay home, I would call at once, if I needed them. It somehow seemed to give me more peace of mind, not sure why, but I slept from around 7 pm to 7 am this morning. With some potty trips in between, but hardly remember them, went right back to sleep.

Also changed my meds a bit, now taking Celebrex and Oxycontin time release, every 12 hours. Only needed to extra Percocets yesterday, one before PT got here, and another one before I went to sleep. New prescription waiting for me @ OS office, sister will pick up and get filled this afternoon.

Had a lovely fruit arrangement delivered yesterday, what a great idea, in lieu of flowers. I loved that idea, and have a bunch of thank you cards to write today, along with some emails to respond to. Feel up to it today, and will do my exercise a bit later, along with the CMP machine.

Wishing all a wonderful day! :friends:
 
Oh Barb, I'm so glad! It just takes the right person and everything just works BETTER! You sound so upbeat and happy and it sounds like you are moving in such a positive direction. You go girl!:spin:

Heidi
 
That's so lovely to hear Barb it makes such a big difference in our recovery to have caring people (escpecially PT) around us during our recovery! :console2: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Barb!! I just got all caught up with your recovery thread! I do know what you mean be not have the focus or even just the will to get on the computer and read anything let alone start posting. Yesterday was the first day I felt up to that!

Your poor swollen knees. I was very swollen about the knee, but really only for several days. But I am super-vigilant about elevating my leg. Most of the time it is both knees hanging out on the pillows, but if I am sitting and laying down, it is up. With ice! After my shower today I pretended the bandage got wet and took it off. The PT changed the dressing last week and left me supplies to change again if I should have any seepage or get it wet in the shower. It felt SO SO SO good to take the tegaderm off and let my knee go commando for a couple of hours.:happydance: :happydance:


I so remember how one of the PTs in the hospital just cupped her hands around my hot knee and cradled it. It sounds like you have someone like that. I am so glad. I am icing 2 areas now, my knee and my lower tibia. It truly feels like someone bashed it with a sledgehammer. Which is probably what happened during surgery, but that actually gives me more pain when walking right now than my knee does. Go figure! The biggest problem that isn't really a problem right now? The bruises ITCH. Itch like I cannot believe. Another unexpected finding while traveling this recovery road.

My recliner has become my command center. I have only slept in my bed one full night and half of another night. I find my CPM machine so relaxing and soothing that I often fall asleep while on it.

I can feel my focus heading south, so I am going to sign off with hugs and love to you. I am also sending a loving caress to each knee and with healing power. I visualize my knee strong and moving and not itching.

xx :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom