Bilateral TKR Eastside85: On The Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Barb, wonderful to hear from you and that you are doing good. Hope that GRANDbaby arrives soon but be prepared for your brain to turn to mush! It will most definitely happen, I know! Prayers for everything to go well for your daughter and baby. Keep us posted. Tennessee hugs to you!!
 
Barbara
What a wonderful report - and how fun to be looking forward to a new grandson. I hope he makes his mind up to come out soon. My mother (who had two children born in July) always advised us not to be pregnant in the summer.

Your knee progress sounds marvelous. I am at 15 weeks today, so about the same time frame. Like you, I still take a pain med at least once a day, though often discomfort is a better word for what I feel than pain.

Your decision about PT sounds like a good one for you. I'm still slogging it out once a week- but now it's more about strength in my hip than my knee (the chain-reaction effect of bad knees).

It's a good sign when you're too busy to read Bonesmart!
j
 
I salute you, Barb, and hope you get to be a "natural" grandma! Pix, please, when the baby arrives! Being preggers in summer does have its upside: it's possible to wear a bikini no matter how big the "bump." (Instead of people averting their gaze or shaking their heads over the questionable wisdom of "letting it all hang out" while just plain obese, everyone smiles and nods at a mama-in-waiting, no matter how much she bares). But I agree that being in late 3rd trimester is a trial in the summer heat--I was lucky enough to deliver in late Oct., so the hot flashes and sweats were nice & toasty while everyone else was freezing!
 
Our sweet baby boy was born on August 1st and is already 3 days old! He is a big boy, 9.8 lbs, 21 inches ... the birth was horrific, is all I can say. She never started labor on her own, so they had her check into hospital Wednesday evening, and started with the balloon (had never heard of that) they insert it to thin the membrane and start dilation, and she said it was extremely painful. Then next morning, I arrived around 7 am, and they started the Pitocin drip, and she spend the next 8 hours with the most intense contractions one can imagine, I was sitting next to the read out that measures them, and they were coming every 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, about 30 to 40 seconds each, short but super intense. In between, nurses and doctor visits, to check her progress, she got to 6 cm, but around 1 she was so exhausted and in so much pain, she agreed to the epidural. They finally got around to her an hour later (super busy maternity ward) and the first one was a bit too far to the left, so she still felt the contractions on one side, but said she would deal with it. After a little while, she said she was starting to feel her legs again, and then the pain was back - all in her back, I know that pain, any woman who has had a child does I guess, and I could not believe she was doing this without pain medication for so long! She finally couldn't take it, and the anesthesiologist came back and stabbed her again, this one wore off again after half an hour! They finally decided she was not dilating, and even though the baby was doing fine, showing no distress at all, doctor decided she would go for a C section in an hour. She started crying, and of course so did I, it was very emotional, but I stepped outside with the doctor for a moment, and he said he was worried the baby would get stuck as he is so big, and it would end up an emergency surgery after all. I had to agree with him. She gave it her best shot, that's for sure. What a trooper!
I'll make the rest short, even though it wasn't ... so they wheeled her into the OR, more medication put through in, I wasn't there now, the Dad was, she was shaking like a leaf, they started cutting, asking with each layer if she felt anything, when suddenly she did ... she said ... stop! I can feel you cutting, by then he tried a different medication, this gave her trouble breathing, and he said, you've been through enough, I'm knocking you out ... Dad had to leave, they took the baby quickly, and of course she missed it all. When she woke up, Dad was holding the baby, and she said it was surreal, to see him there, smiling ... they put the baby on her chest, and let him suckle for a little while, then whisked him away to be washed and measured etc. I was on pins and needles, and by this time it was 9:30 pm, and I had to wait two more hours to see her. At 10:30 they said it might take even longer for her - she was in recovery - so I decided to go home. Crying all the way. I actually was going to their house, to stay with the dogs, but forgot, and then had to turn around ... it was all a bit of a nightmare.


However, all was forgotten when I saw this picture - and many more - arrive, Dad was sending them out right away, and it put a big smile on my face, and I got a decent night's sleep.

Knee situation is another story... I have started going to a new place, called Advanced Manual Therapy and the guy that I was assigned to is hurting me a lot! He is doing something called trigger point massage, and it feels like he's ripping my muscle apart. For some reason I let him do it, for about a half hour. When I got up, my legs actually felt good, looser and I walked around, rode the stationary bike, was able to do full rotation (wiggling my left hip a little to help knee) but not sure I can go through that again. I am supposed to go back tomorrow. Then OS again on Tuesday. We shall see ... it has done nothing to reduce swelling in left knee, and I'm afraid they might do that needle drainage. Does that hurt? Does it work? I've heard stories where the fluid comes back right away, or it might be infected? I just don't know what to think. This knee was always swollen, before and after. Is it possible, the swelling will go down on it's own>?

I'm right at 15 1/2 weeks....
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Eastside85: On The Other Side
    IMG_0604.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 209
Barb, he sure is a cutie, and a good size baby, too. Glad your daughter is doing OK. Sorry to hear about the issues with your left knee. My right knee is the troublemaker. Hopefully we will both see improvement and both of our knees will be on the same page. Take care, and keep us updated on the little one.
 
Wow, what an adventure getting that little guy into the world! Congrats. Glad everything turned out OK and you could be there. Hope your knee responds well to your new therapy.
 
Good morning barb,
So glad to hear from you, your grandson is beautiful....I am glad baby & mom are doing well :)
I hope your new therapy helps with your swelling.
Thinking of you,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Good morning ladies, and thank you so much for all the good wishes! Little Hudson is doing fine, and his parents are tired, but still on Cloud Nine with their little bundle of joy. My daughter has been nursing round the clock and I think she now understands why Moms of Newborns say they can't find the time to take a shower ... it's hard to imagine unless you've lived it!

But he is such a cutie, I have more pictures to share, just in case anyone needs a few endorphins raised this morning .... it's raining here in the Carolinas, can't complain, we had a stretch of nice sunny weather, but it sure has rained a lot this year, and we've had the floods to show for it.

I was having a little convo with Mary about this new therapist and I've decided to stop going, nobody should hurt us right now, and I think I'm going to look for a good massages therapist and just go at least once a week for a while. The left knee is still quite swollen, so that seems to be causing the problems, not adhesions or what not, it's easy to imagine all sorts of problems when things aren't going smoothly, but I"m still relatively early in, esp. with a knee that had pre-op problems.

Going to see OS this afternoon, and getting ready to bake a few wheatfree goodies for my sweet girl. Even though she had complications, the baby is healthy and beautiful, and I think her diet had much to do with it. So as long as she is nursing, she's going to stick with nothing processed or grain containing. Also no dairy, the lactation nurse mentioned that milk is for cow babies, not human babies, so even coming through her milk, it can cause digestive problems. Makes sense to me!!

Will check on you all later on, and hope you are feeling well and recovery progressing daily.

See you later! :thankyou:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Eastside85: On The Other Side
    Hudson - August 4th - 3 days old.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 204
  • [Bonesmart.org] Eastside85: On The Other Side
    Hudson after nursing 8-5-13.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 216
  • [Bonesmart.org] Eastside85: On The Other Side
    Hudson on the Good ship Lollypop .jpg
    117 KB · Views: 194
O I just LOVED the pictures of your beautiful grandson. Love the name too. So sorry your daughter had to go through so much to get him here. Ive had six children all over the 9lbs weight and all delivered naturally. ouch!!!!!. At least he he is healthy and I hope your daughter recovers well. They make the world such a better place our grandchildren and a sign we have done something right. Enjoy.
 
Hi Pat - thanks you so much for the good wishes, and my hat is off to you, I can not even imagine pushing out six 9 pounders, I have to say, you are my hero!! My daughter is doing remarkably well, she has some pain, but I really think having that baby to take care of helps a new Mother heal faster. I can't wait to get over there to hold him, Daddy went back to work today, so I have better access ... it's amazing how competitive we get about holding him, it's addictive! :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Barbara, congratulations on the arrival of your grandson! I have one due next month and I pray it goes more smoothly than that!
 
Barbara I enjoyed reading your journey with BTKR. I am at 9 weeks out. I feel over all I am doing well, off of all pain meds... I still have trouble sleeping at night due to stiffness and ache. Funny how during the day I feel so different!

My right knee is my troubled child. Has stiffness - and I have to really think about bending it. I spent the last 10 years not using it and keeping it straight so this is a abattle of the mind and body I think. My left knee has progressed nicely, much less stiffness.

I am starting to exercise now, doing stairs quite well. Some days I feel so great... and then I have a day where the old knees are cranky. I go to PT twice a week through this month. I just hope that I am well enough to be on my own after PT ends... I need to continue to progress as I do not want to limp for the rest of my life. I want to walk normal. I suppose they will assess my situation end of month... of course the insurance may not want me to continue.

Continued success to you on your wellness journey! Joan
 
Glad to hear you ladies are all doing so well! Congratulations on your grandson something to take your mind off the knees for a while. All the best xx
 
Well here I am, 4 months out and thought I'd post a little update. Been busy running over to my daughter's house to see little Hudson, and cook, bake and clean a bit for her. That's been rewarding, because I can do it!! Something I was not able to do before surgery, and to me all the difference in life. I can stand for hours, walk quite well, starting to walk stairs more, the normal way, not one step at a time. Took my sister to the beach last week, and had no problems walking in the sand, a bit slow perhaps, but walking along the waters edge easy and so enjoyable! The in laws were in town, staying with my daughter, so I decided to get out of the way, I have access all year long, and wanted to give them a chance to hold him and enjoy him without me around. There is time for that later on, they will be in town again in September, it's their first grandchild too, so quite exciting!

Otherwise not much to report, Hudson eating and sleeping around the clock, in between diaper changes, lol ... that's the way the first weeks of life go. He's a very content and sweet baby, and is easily calmed, when he has little tummy upsets etc. I love holding him and my daughter has been coming over to my house more this past week, she can drive again and enjoys getting out of the house. Started having some cabin fever. They will have a little party in their honor to attend this coming Sunday and it will be my first official baby sitting date - all on my own! I hope it goes well, I have to admit I'm just a bit apprehensive, but it should be fine, she's pumping milk for the occasion, hope he takes to the bottle.

OS gave me another month off from work, I was surprised, and a feel a little guilty for taking it, but it's been so nice to have the time to rest - elevate and ice some more, and of course the leisure time to spend with my daughter and grandson, this time is irreplaceable and I'm enjoying it to the max!

Thanks to all who visit and all the congrats, it means a lot, to know you care. I'll be checking in with you later today, sorry I've had so much going on, but it's been good to get back to normal. I do still have some stiffness in the left leg, but this morning I noticed a bit of outline in the knee and patella, so swelling has gone down a bit, and I think flexion has become better. No measurements right now, but I can tell going down stairs, that it's bending easily now, and I can almost touch surface below knee now, so extension improving too.

Wishing you all a wonderful day!!

Here's another one of my favorite pictures of Hudson, smiling at his Mommy, 7 days old ....
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Eastside85: On The Other Side
    Hudson smiling 8-8-13.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 174
Good morning barb,
Your little baby is so sweet & beautiful. A true angel. Your posts are wonderful, we can feel your
Excitement in every sentence :) there is nothing like walking a baby in a stroller in the fall.
Your walking along the beach,pretty soon you will be walking your dogs. :happydance:
Life doesn't get any better.....enjoy your month off with your little bundle of joy.
I am soooooo happy for you,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Thank you Diana - it's always so good to see you here .... and it's wonderful that you are doing so well, your positive and cheerful attitude have a lot to do with that, I'm sure!

Be good, you ... :puppysmooze:
 
Good morning, what a beautiful day!! Thank you God! I'm so glad you are doing better and are able to enjoy that little cutie pie! There's not a feeling in the world like it, is there? It's hard to describe to someone who is not a grandparent. It's wonderful that you live close to your daughter so you can be there for her. Of course, it's just as much for you, right? I love just holding and snuggling with our newest grandson. They grow out of the baby phase so quickly, enjoy each and every minute. Hope your knee continues to improve. Take care and love on Hudson--that may be the best therapy!! Hugs and congratulations to your family.
 
Hello Barb! Thanks for your encouraging words on my thread! Congrates to you and your new GrandChild! Please do look into the Nordic Walking. It is so good for therapy to come back from knee surgery. I went on my 2nd walk this morning at 5:45AM- just when the sun came up. I still do not sleep well and was up since 2 AM!:shocked: I was ready to walk LOL! I walked for about 35 minutes... enough my legs and knees tell me. It is very calming and rather spiritual in a way, just me, music and walking. Pretty simple!

Being unemployed for the first time in 23 years is rather daunting... I feel free and happy about it.. and then feel guilty... all at the same time. The feeling I have no time constaints is wonderful. My job offered no retirement plan. I just worked for the money. My husband's insurance paid for my surgery ,as, at the time I left my job, I had to go to three days a week because full time was too hard for me. I lost my insurance at my job. Thank goodness my hubby works for a wonderful company with good incentives and perks. I suppose in the spring when hopefully my right knee is no longer a problem child, I will look for a couple day a week type job just to feel productive to society. I leave that open to the universe!
I hope your knee starts behaving for you! Lets keep in touch!:friends: Joan
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom