Guest viewing is limited

THR Early Birthday

Now I'm in the middle of the boring part of recovery. No milestones, just literal plodding.

I did have a nice walk yesterday. There's a bridge near me that has a walkway alongside. A small park at one end has stairs (24) leading up. So, up the stairs, half a mile out, then back. Maybe a mile and a quarter. Probably the longest I've walked since the surgery. Felt good, only the tiniest limp and a little soreness.

TBH I probably walk more than a mile a day doing chores, but this was official!
 
:walking:good news...glad to hear you are getting on well!:happydance:
Perhaps plan plenty of perpetual plods..perfectly practical proper physical pleasure.
 
Good to see you're doing well, sorry you're bored but I'm thinking that's a good thing at this point in recovery.
:thumb:
 
Hello and Happy Wednesday!
Uneventful is okay. It seems you're doing well, even if bored. Especially given you had that other kink to deal with aside from your hip. Hopefully you're no worse for wear today after yesterday's walk and stair climb.
Thanks for updating. Enjoy the rest of the week!
@59billy
 
Hello :wave: Stopping by to say HI and wish you a Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I hope you and sweetie have a great weekend. :)
@59billy
 
Four months:wowspring:
Hope all is still improving and you are happy you are now strutting a bionic hip.
Have a great weekend!:yahoo:
 
Hello, all!

Had follow up visits with both surgeons this week. OS says I'm "ahead of schedule"; presumably that means I heal faster than humans. I feel better than I have in years! Working in the yard and woods, doing normal exercise as distinct from PT, and eating all the foods!

Hope all are well!
 
Hello :wave:
What a wonderful update! Thanks for sharing. It's funny how "normal" feels so refreshing and gratifying after it's been snatched from us. Here's to lots and lots of NORMAL. :cheers:
Enjoy the weekend, billy and please don't become a a stranger here now that you're superhuman.
@59billy
 
Stupendous!!!:happydance:
When I think back about the months directly proceeding my hip replacements...how despondent I was becoming after soldiering through so much physical pain...how THAT had become normal...it still strikes me as an amazing "cure" .

Glad you are doing so well. Is great to have been able to share your journey.:ok:
 
It's pretty amazing just to walk without pain. Heck, just to walk! Its amazing how many little things we take for granted... Being able to put on socks without contortions, or just relax in bed. I don't want to ever forget that.
 
I love your post above, billy. It's always refreshing to see an attitude of gratitude.
I recall a particular day in my recovery when I was feeling especially grateful and hopeful.
The thoughts and feelings, the location all etched in my mind. I vowed I'd store it in my memory bank to draw on whenever I wanted to relive it and I have many times. It's bittersweet in that while I still feel that way the newness of it all has worn off a bit, not that I'm taking this second chance for granted now, but then it was almost like a high. Hope this makes sense to someone, lol.
Thanks for that post. A great Sunday to you!
@59billy
 
:wave: @59billy
Hope things are still getting better.
Month four was what I consider my biggest turnaround and when I could finally relax a bit and truly think... Hey! This really may have worked.:yes!:
My confidence returned...still struggled a bit with stamina but then I was back to work earlier than optimal and it was still possible to overdo.
Still relied on ice and the recliner repose for recharging batteries.

Glad you are out of pain and lots of good things are yet to come.:tada:
 
@Mojo333

It's all going well. Pretty much back to normal activities; still tire easily. I have move from PT to normal exercise. They definitely fixed the hip! Trying to catch up a few years of yardwork.

This weekend I'll be driving up to my son's birthday house for a double birthday party - the ten year old and the six year old (both girls). If I survive that, I'll know I'm well!
 
Good for you @59billy! Wonderful you're getting back to your life, have a great time at the birthday celebrations this weekend.
:wave:
 
Bday party eas great, but the drive (60ish miles) wore me out coming home. Two lane roads at night are, uh, visually challenging for me. ended up in irrational, grumpy mood and skipped another family do two days later - then ended up feeling depressed and guilty about not going. Maybe I can blame lingering aftereffects of anesthesia and pain meds. I've always been weird and moody, though.

On the physical front, I'm doing pretty well. Squats, deadlifts, kettlebell swings, rowing machine all are fine. Still weak, but the hip works as advertised. 10/10, would get remodeled again.

I replaced my phone right before the surgery and didn't bother keeping my old workout logs. I figured new hip, 60th birthday, tabula rasa. I'm being incredibly conservative with the weight, feeling out what I can do. Now that my hip is better, though, I'm being reminded that my back and shoulders need attention. Next year. I'm done being poked, prodded, sawed and glued for a while!
 
:wave:
Billy.
Maybe I can blame lingering aftereffects of anesthesia and pain meds. I've always been weird and moody, though.
Nope too late for that. Maybe you're becoming a curmudgeon?:heehee:
Sure hope not, gratitude will cure that.

On the physical front, I'm doing pretty well. Squats, deadlifts, kettlebell swings, rowing machine all are fine.
Okay...but...

Now that my hip is better, though, I'm being reminded that my back and shoulders need attention.

No correlation I'm sure with the
deadlifts, kettlebell swings, rowing machine...
Next year. I'm done being poked, prodded, sawed and glued for a while!
Then just chill and be a happy hippy instead of a driven maniacal fiend.
Said with concern and well wishes, my friend.:friends:
 
Happy Five Month Anniversary to our favorite Grill Master!
Sounds like you're doing well except for "weird and moody" Stop that nonsense :no-fin: or we'll
have to come after you with some tickle therapy. Wondering if there is any truth to your comment about lingering anethesia after affects, who really knows what this stuff does long term. I've told hubs more than once that since my THR I laugh at utter nonsense. I'm serious, not even kidding. Well, I guess it's better than the alternative > :boohoo:

Stay in touch, it's nice to hear from you now and again!
@59billy
 
@Mojo333 the back trouble us very old - scoliosis. Exercise is the only thing that makes it behave. After the first of the year I might actually have a doctor look at it. But spinal surgery doesn't really have the glowing success that hip replacement does, so I donno.

@Layla -- being semi-killed seems likely to have some fallout, especially for those of us who are, well, old enough to vote. And I had two sedations and a general in a very short time. Nothing for it but to move on!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom