THR Done and dusted

Status
Not open for further replies.
As in wear flip flops @beachgal.... I'm not really a flip flop kind of girl... I never found them comfortable and my feet get cold... 17°c here... I've had problems with my feet for years so I need a bit more support or I get a numbing sensation in my feet. I tried fit flops last year as they were "the in thing" but I just couldn't get used to them.
 
So week 2 down in work and I am shattered. I am again so grateful for a staggered return to ease myself back into the swing of things.

My choir started back tonight and as treasurer I was trying to sort money and scores and deal with 20 people at once... tough going. But it was upsetting that I was obviously not back to full speed and my movement is restricted. It hit again how my expectations were so different. I had worries about the actual operation, infection and managing post op. I flew through that and feel like I hit a brick wall at 6 weeks. It's just frustrating now as I want to feel normal again. .. I didn't realise that trying to put a positive spin on it would be so hard. I wasn't mentally prepared for not feeling any great improvement post op.

Hopefully when I go to my OS on 19th September he can decide next course of action be it a heal raise or not...I would love to walk normally and build up my stamina a bit.

Rant and pity party over... I just feel a bit worn down today but heading to bed and hoping tomorrow will be brighter!
 
@NoraJ Sorry. It's so frustrating. It's hard to explain how tough it is when you've come through it fine and you're not really in any real pain. It's hard not to feel normal.
 
@NoraJ

I truly hope you get some answers from your OS soon. How disheartening not to be able to be in pain when your operation was to get rid of it! You very patient....I would be calling his office and get squeezed in based on the fact you are in pain.....ie not normal recovery.

Hope tomorrow is a better day.

Cheryl
 
@NoraJ, it is SO frustrating to not be able to keep up and do what you did pre-op. It could be a while before you really feel like you can handle it all with grace. I'm already coaching myself to take one day at a time next week at work. I foresee a few more breakdowns ahead for me, too. Be encouraged. We know it will get easier but not on our timetable.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks @muckingabout, @CanukTriMom and @beachgal,

Thanks for the kind words. The pain is manageable. That is the least of it...its my mobility and stamina that seem most affected. Anyway my blues could be all hormonal... I'm just used to being able to do things on a whim.... go for a walk or out somewhere..restore a piece of furniture, cook for a load of people. It's realising how much the pain /discomfort affected my mood and everyday life and just hoping it eases soon.

This too will pass...I would just like to know when!
 
@NoraJ I am not sure how I have been missing your thread! I must be coming out of another level of my 'fog' to suddenly tune into that fact, lol There's a whole party going on here that I have been missing :) I am sorry you are feeling overwhelmed and uncomfortable, hopefully your appointment later this month will be productive and get you on a better path. I really get your frustrations ~ I am in my 6th month of being down with my leg and hip with no end quite in sight yet. Getting to the point of being able to putz about the house and put a meal together is my goal right now. I don't know if you could try to rewind the expectations you have put in place for yourself but it might help you feel better if you could. Be careful not to compare your recovery to others as well. I hope you sleep well tonight!
 
Energy drain gets most of us @NoraJ - be gentle with yourself honey. Full recovery can take a year to 18 months x
 
Thanks @Poppet. It just hit home last night as a fellow singer had her hip done in December last and was bouncing about the place by March...she was a bit shocked by my experience... which contributed to my pity party! I love singing but there is a lot of standing/sitting ect. I'm staying positive I'll be right by our Christmas concert... the gala ball in October and dancing tge night away may be pushing it!

@Carriemay60. .I think how you've dealt with your leg/hip is incredible! To do so with such humour and wit is great! I feel my sense of humour went out the window about six months ago! I can potter and cook meals..pick blackberries (another 1 lb today!) so I should thank my lucky stars....
 
It's funny the difference in experience. My pedicurist was talking about a client of hers who had hip replacement and her incision was about 3 inches -- mine is about 12. But she needed rehab and I did not.

It's funny, everyone I encounter around here is shocked that I didn't require rehab, but it seems that here on the board the majority head home without rehab.
 
Likewise here rehab isn't common but that is dependent on support when returning home. My incision healed perfectly...never even had a scab, the scar itself will hopefully fade. But I'm so fair skinned every blemish shows up. Now for the muscles to sort themselves out!
 
Im almost half afraid to say this and tempt fate but I'm hoping after my pity party earlier in the week that I have turned a corner. The last few days I have a noticeable improvement in my gait and I haven't needed my cructh as I could walk quite well. I still feel a little unsteady and nervous but little or no limp. I still get pain bending right in side of my hip when I move to get back up. At nearly 15 weeks post op I am allowed but have to avoid it as its quite a sharp pain but goes away quickly. I am hoping to go for a gentle walk today as I'm visiting my parents and walking near there home is easier as there are footpaths and I won't get knocked down by some mad tractor/lorry driver like I might at home.

I was in a antique/second hand shop a few weeks ago with a friend and spotted a chair in the distance and decided to explore and low and behold it was an electric recliner! It was in perfect nick and I would say never used. Having read the reveiw reports I thought this was definitely worth a further look. Unfortunately I don't have the space for it in my house nor does it match (its bottle green) but it was perfect for my parents home. I bought it as it was really well priced and only collected it the other day to bring to Dublin.... Well its fabulous! My mom was a little hesitant (she is in denial about needing her own hip done but knows that it highly probable) but is delighted as it matches her 40 shades of green in her lving room. I wish I had it for my recovery but it will be there for next time around. My 8 year old nephew spotted it immediately and promptly made himself very comfortable and declared it a winner. Go second hand stores with recliner chairs!
 
@NoraJ That is great you are seeing such improvements! As your gait improves perhaps that lingering pain in your hip will go away too. Score on the chair!!
 
Hurray!! Celebrating improvement and recliner!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @NoraJ , sounds like you are really progressing well in this recovery! Long may it continue.

Can you please put your surgery date in your signature. Here's a thread that tells you how: How to create a signature
Thanks!
 
@NoraJ Oh, it takes time, so much time. I want to be well today! Here I am at almost 6 months and have really just noticed less pain in the last 2 weeks. I had a lateral and am now beginning to think that the anterior would have been a quicker recovery after reading of so many who were doing so well so early in the recovery process. I would compare, compare, compare. That is not good! I just wanted to offer my encouragement. I NEVER thought I would get better. I though something was terribly wrong. But, I am SO much better. You will be, too! It sounds like it is already getting much better for you.
 
@Jaycey That's odd about signature as I've had since beginning. .. I logged on with my laptop today I wonder did I do something then.

It says on tap a talk on my phone it's working but I can't tell now!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @Dmcfad2. I am hoping it will be three steps forward and maybe an occasional step back! Unfortunately I think posterior is probably my only option given my protrusio and need for a bone graft. But yes it does seem that those who have had it appear to progress well. Having no restrictions has to simplify the recovery. I am so glad you feel better. ..I so want to make sure next time round that I am physically fitter and have my weight down a bit!

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Jaycey I don't know what happened... an odd one. At least it's working again!

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom