THR Done and dusted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh @Carriemay60. . I won't. I'm too much of a wimp with pain. It's just I really need to feel the benefit of this hoip before I start again. I just started my new job and I want to my teeth into that first too. But I see my OS in May so I think then will be a good time to think about it. I don't want to be on crutches for next summer. I'm turning forty and I'm planning to live the life of Reilly for the month of July!

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
@NoraJ
I can relate, while I know that eventually my left hip will need a surgery, I could not imagine taking that up again anytime soon. I am looking to put some distance between the 2 procedures and strengthen both sides in the process. 2 summers in a row would indeed be a lot to mentally endure
 
@NoraJ, just bringing your thread back up to keep you in the loop and to find out how you're doing?? Hope things are going well for you and hip!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm good @beachgal. Just getting ready to head to Dublin to babysit my nephew and two nieces! My sister in law's brother is getting married so I volunteered months ago to step in... I'm looking forward to it now. I don't know that a month ago I could have said that! But I think I can pinpoint the 4th Sept as the day that it started to get better...Once I sort the heel lift I'm good to go!

It's funny I saw on your thread about needing to start doing the jobs around the house you've put off due to the hip. I feel a bit like that too. I feel like my enthusiasm and energy for tackling jobs is coming back. Thank goodness.

A few aches and pains and stiffness but I think I'll probably always have that as I too have wear and tear on my lower back and have the left hip to contend with. I won't avoid getting it done but I definitely want to wait till after next summer and see how things are then.

But overall life is good and I now feel myself again. I'm looking forward to some fun weekends over the next wee while and getting my glad rags on!

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Oh that is soooo good to read @NoraJ.......you have turned the corner!! Know what you mean about getting back enthusiasm for different things...it just creeps up on you. Hope you enjoy your babysitting duties too.
Can understand completely your reluctance to start another recovery with the next hip.....you need to have a bit of life first.....my other hip has been behaving since my THR despite showing nearly complete loss of cartilage....but my knee is awful.. Went forXray yesterday...got to wait 10/14 days for result.....gulp!! ...don't overdo it while you are away....make time to rest won't you! X


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@NoraJ, sounds like a fun weekend with the kids! Your post makes me happy! I know we all will have an ache here and there but nothing like pre-op. Heck, some of that just comes from life! Enjoy your family time. So happy things are going well.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@NoraJ Fabulous post! You sound great and excited about getting back into the swing of the things. Do have fun babysitting but as Hoppy Nanny says, make some time that is a bit restful, like coloring or playdough creations. Kids can be really tiring, lol We are going down to see our oldest son, his wife and 2 of our little grand daughters over the American Thanksgiving weekend so that will be my first real test both for a long car ride and playing with the kids. I am feeling really happy for you! Have a fun weekend!
 
Thanks all. The babysitting should be easy...I'm picking the kids up late so just have to settle them and sort them in the morning. They're used to me so usually there are no problems! I may have a 4 year old creep in to my bed during the night. But that I don't mind.

@Hoppy Nanny I hope the results of your X ray come back soon. I'm in denial about my knees. I even told the OS I can't even start that discussion as some days they ache. But one joint at a time!
I'm loosing the weight I gained slowly...I joined slimming world and I am nearing the stone mark. But I feel better for getting that in hand too.


RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Just to add that I don't think I would have gotten through the last few months without everyone on Bonesmart! I felt quite lost in the process and blindsided by the experience, without having you all I'm not sure I would have turned that corner!

Thank you so much.

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
I'm a Slimming World Consultant @NoraJ and I'm still struggling with 14lbs excess weight from preop inactivity. It's a great plan though & has excellent results. My group is amazing! Good luck with your journey! X


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@NoraJ Hope you have a nice time with the kids!
Funny... its my nonop left hip and lower back like you that are a bit annoying...... Sounds like we are
aligned fairly similarly. Hope we both can put off anything else!
 
Hi @Hoppy Nanny, Slimming World is a good plan. I've tried every diet but I wanted something that was balanced with plenty of fruit and veg. I like the plan and the leader and so far although slow it's working.

@MajorHeidi my back was worse than my hip a lot of the time. As my hip was wedged into the acetabulum I didn't have the awful hip bone on bone pain others describe. My hip just didn't move but my gait was off and as a result back pain, coccyx, knee pain, ankle pain....
I was a joy to behold!

So far the babysitting going. A fear tears last night from over tiredness but all good.

I have discovered though I am most definitely getting a new mattress. I slept over in my brother and sister in laws bed. I didn't wake once. I want this bed! The difference is amazing....

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Glad to read you are having a good weekend away, you will have to treat yourself to a new bed when you get back. :)


I had THR on 15 September 2014. Had to have a bone graft due to protrusion into the pelvic bone. Also found out I have "soft bones" and therefore have small fractures on my femur due to operation.
 
The bed is officially back on the shopping list! I had work done to my house a couple of years ago but was never fully happy with my bedroom. I think a project is in the planning...

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
@NoraJ, a good bed makes all the difference! When you wake up from a good sleep, you feel like tackling the world! Yes, put it back on your list!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@NoraJ Shopping for a new bed and doing some decorating sounds like a perfect winter project! Good luck you had the opportunity to see the difference of a good mattress and appreciate the difference.
 
Yep I need to start planning. I want the space to comfortable but elegant. .. my problem is once I've decided to do it I want it done now!

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
I just hit the five month mark and I'm doing well. I still don't feel 100% but I think that relates to my left hip and my knees not my new hip.

I have more energy and completed my bedroom project of painting my bed and a blanket box. Felt pleased with myself as I had some lifting and bending and lying on the floor. I still get pain bending so I try to stick to golfers reach.... I got me new mattress and it's so comfy! Unfortunately I never measured my bed and never knew I had a European King bed 160 cm as opposed to a standard British/ Irish of 150 cm. .. It was so difficult getting it upstairs it stayed but the bed frame may have to go.It felt good to get something done...



RTHR May 27th 2014
 
@NoraJ Nice to see you! Nice that you got your bedroom done, I am sure that feels good to get a pretty project done! Such a bummer about the bed size but at least it is comfy; no doubt that will help you feel better and obviously more rested. Keep plugging along with gentle walking and hopefully the other hip and knees will be kind to you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom