Guest viewing is limited

THR Done and dusted

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is awful...health is so expensive and then to do without your pay adds such stress! The idea that you collect your sick leave baffles me..here you use it if you need to. But I don't have any colleagues who would ever take advantage of it.

My pain is so so. I had dreadful back pain yesterday and was miserable. But today fingers crossed I feel much better. That took the focus off my hips. I get pain in my legs but I think it's my gluts from walking differently. I feel like I can feel the prothesis. .its a weird sensation. But paracetamol does take the edge off. My plan is to take it easy for the next day or so and get a few jobs done before I go back to work.

It's a pity you don't have some elegant supportive footware... I assume as soon as you get home you get some decent shoes on... it sometimes seems so hard.
 
Hi Nora and sorry about your back pain - as a matter of fact I have also been suffering from severe lower back pain too!
I reckon it is an excellent idea to rest up before returning to work, you will need all your energy for that and please let us know how it is going?
 
Thanks Bill@fulafoto, it's a strange one. I can move about today but the pain is present the whole time. I've heat pad on and raking painkillers. Again I think it's the change in gait from before surgery. The joys!!!
 
Lol. Yes Nora. As one of the OS I saw said - we are changing your anatomy, that means learning to walk all over again. As you say- the joys but I would not go back to my pre-op me for all the tea in China


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Emm Bill@fulafoto I'm still at the reserving judgment stage... in a way it feels like the new hip hasn't bedded down if that make sense. I feel it just needs to attach fully and may feel stronger and the muscles around it happier.

Anyway I am off on my first proper night out since I had my op! Heading for a meal and a few drinks who hoo! Mind you ill still be wearing flat shoes and using my crutch but I'm looking forward to a decent session and a bit of craic!
 
Hi NoraJ
Been reading your posts and sorry to hear of pains you are dealing with, you are well beyond my phase, but I hope these are temporary and tolerable. Glad to hear of your night out. Enjoy
 
Good for you Nora on the outing and I sincerely hope it went well for you :) As far as your hip is concerned there is so much repair going on inside you with all the muscles, tendons and nerves and yes I know how frustrating it can be especially at the moment but we will get there Nora - positive thoughts going coming your way and I hope you continue to improve,
take care
 
Thanks Bill@fulafoto and @grnplatebrd.

I didn't mean like I was moaning too much. It feels a bit like I flew through the first four weeks physically and then stalled a bit. Two or three steps forward and one back. But I am doing my best to accept that the process is different to what I expected. It's funny as I am generally very solution focused and practical so this process is a challenge to that. I am usually a positive person but its fair to say this has been a steep learning curve.
I had a lovely evening a meal and a few drinks in a pub. It was nice to get out and about after dark. I used the crutch and no incidents to report. I have friends coming to lunch who always have great tales to tell so I'm looking forward to that...
 
@NoraJ
Sounds like a really wonderful evening and I am happy for you. No mishaps and a bit of time at the pub would seem to be some great medicine to the mental side of things and steps into normalcy. Personally, I would not say you were moaning at all. To me, your positive characteristics are still what comes through around here. I believe in a early post you mentioned the 'marathon not a sprint' sentiment. I keep reminding myself of that too. I think in the end we will all emerge not only stronger physical, but I hope mentally too. Onward and upward. Be well
 
Thanks @grnplatebrd lunch with friends was a tonic too.

Next week is my last week off work. I plan to be galavanting somewhere everyday to make the most of my freedom. Then back to the grind stone. I'm fortunate that I start a new role when I go back to work and it's great to be doing something different and managing different people. It makes the prospect of working for a living a little easier. .. although I still want to win the lotto and be a lady of leisure!
 
@grnplatebrd @NoraJ I'm starting to work from home monday. They are having a happy hour Friday for a woman who's getting married. I told them I may try to stop by. It's going to be a game time decision, for one thing, I'm not dragging a walker into a bar, so I'll have to be good on the cane. I'm comfortable walking about 20 ft or so at this point.
 
@muckingabout
Enjoy working next week. I have been lightly working from home this past week. It is a good step in the process. I hope you feel up to meeting out for a night when Friday comes. A nice step in your recovery to feeling more like yourself
 
@muckingabout. .the only thing I would say is rest up before going out and limit it a little. I probably went out too much too early although I was careful.

I've been checking emails and other bits for work and kept in touch over the break so it's no big surprises in store. Generally when I go back to work ill be away for a few days and working from home the other days. I was doing a huge amount of driving for work previously and hopefully with less driving it will be easier.
 
@NoraJ, just checking in. Wow, I slept eight hours straight last night. We were out on the Vegas Strip last night, so up until midnight, playing craps, so standing in one location for awhile. Needless to say, I was tired when I got home so konked out. Headed to the pool now and I plan to get a floating and just dangle my hips down in the water. I am looking forward to getting all of the weight off my body.

I agree, I think heels will come when I am ready. At the end before surgery, I had abandoned all heels except two pair of one inch wedges. Shin splints are getting better, because in think my body is getting used to the new gait.
 
I've never done Vegas... bit of a journey for me! Beats my meal and few drinks.

I did the same with heels got a couple of low heeled pairs of wedges with an ankle strap for support. My compromise.

The pool is great. I've been a few times now. It was a little crowded but I may go in the morning when it's quieter. My body is not happy with my new gait... I'll see what the PT says at my next session on Monday but it's the lenght issue that's difficult to adjust to. I have a pronounced waddle/limp without a crutch... but the back is all but eased so life is much easier!

Enjoy Vegas. Someday I may get there!
 
Hi Nora!! It sounds like your night out did you a world of good. Also sounds like you're going to be enjoying yourself before heading back to work! Enjoy every moment but don't forget to schedule some down time too so your muscles don't take revenge on you! Also try not to worry about your gait when you're trying to walk without the crutch. From what the physiotherapist told me, when you are waddling or unsteady it just means that your muscles are not ready to support you yet. It happens to me as well - frequently which is why I'm still using the cane. I hope you wake up feeling well & enjoy your day tomorrow!


Sharri -LTHR May 28th 2014 13 inch incision on side
Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
12 weeks tomorrow.

I'm half afraid to say it but my back seems to have improved. I switched the side of the bed I sleep on... (didn't have to fight with anyone to do it so easy enough) and I think it helped! It was easier getting out on op side now. New matress is still in the pipeline.

I went to physio today and she worked on my back and it was tough going. My PT feels easing my back will improve my walk and she felt it was much better today. I felt better but wasnt sure if my walk reflected that. I also had some light traction which I never had before. An interesting experience!

I go again in two weeks after I've returned to work to have a sense on how that will impact me. I'll be away for work my first few days back and I'll stay in a hotel close to the office. I reckon it will mean moving about more and extra walking which will be no harm. I think I have accepted that I will be using the crutch when back at work...I had hoped not to be but I prefer to have rather than walk poorly.

I'm trying to get the last few jobs done before going to work but it's nowhere near what I thought I would get done in my fantasy of having time off..

I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed (but not my legs) that it stays good physically and mentally...
 
Be sure to request a handicap-accessible hotel room for high toilet and bars. No sense in taking chances.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks @beachgal. I did exactly that on the couple of trips I did early on or I brought my trusty raised toilet seat with me.

Between my cushion (my lifesaver), crutches and loo seat I was a joy to behold when visiting someone!
 
Good luck returning to work and I hope all goes well and the return to normal life is another good step in your process.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom