THR Done and dusted

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with the feeling of not being in your home and not able to do things. I am going on my 4th week post hip replacement. You will be surprised how fast the time goes! Soon you will independent again. Enjoy your time of leisure, it goes fast!! .Good luck on a great recovery.
 
Glad things are going well @NoraJ

It is so good, isn't it to get a project done without feeling exhausted! Shame about the bed sizes though.

Yep...I always say I've got one part of me that doesn't hurt...my lovely new hip...shame about the rest!!

Lovely to hear a good update...take care..Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I haven't updated this for a while. I have dipped in and out of the site but I broke my phone at Christmas and that put a stop to easy my access.

I'm doing okay...not great. I still have quite a bit of pain. A lot in my back especially when standing...it can go form a 2 to a 6/7 in minutes. I try to manage it through avoiding standing but that isn't always as easy as that. I found that it affects my social life and my choir its my main hobby but performing big concerts and standing quickly and for extended periods is painful.... It does ease once I sit for a bit so I try to avoid medication if I can.

I have started aqua jogging which is a good workout as well as being good for my joints I go back to my surgeon in May so I'll have a chat about hip 2 and my knees. I envy those who got such relieve from their hip replacement ....as my pain from my hip was never in my hip the recovery seems to be slow...

On a positive note though a colleague who hadn't seen me for a couple of months noted I was moving freer so that was nice to hear I'm back to thinking of this stage of my life as being a long distance one with no instant fix!

I remain struggling emotionally with the fact that I need two THR and I wouldn't be surprised if I need my knees done as some point! I think that at some stage I may look at talking got someone to help process those emotions...... I'm not there yet!
 
Hi NoraJ,
To be honest with you, my knees were alot easier then my hip. I had my right knee replaced in 2009 and the left one replaced in 2010. My right hip just got replaced last October, 4 months ago. Next fall I will probably need my left hip done. Then both shoulders need to be done at some point. It seems to be never ending. But knees were easy for me. Just hang in there and concentrate on your hip for now. Don't think about future surgeries. I don't think about my left hip, I just take care of it the best I can. Keep exercising and moving as much as you can. Keep improving and try to stay positive!
 
Hi Nora,
I am only 5 weeks post a hip op and I can understand you saying you might need to see someone in the future about your emotions. It is such a roller coaster and so much more emotional than i thought it would be. Life around joints, hips, vulnerability, lack of control etc hits us all in such different ways emotionally and physically. Could you get yourself access to relaxation/mediatation tapes/CD's or internet. I find they support me in being more positive. There lots of free recordings on Youtube.

It is amazing that we all seem to have a passion. Recently some Bonesmarties have been talking about their horse riding, yours seems to be your choir and mine is swimming. Look after yourself
Karen
 
Its the struggling fighting and mind numbing thinking about our situations. Hold on to the feer coment from colleague this actual says a lot. You will get to point of talking or self evaluating but only you will know. Love the aqua jogging concept, I did loads of walking in sea to help repaired achilies. Have tried to walk in loch but the cold now isnt good for other hip and I scared the munsta

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi Nora, sorry you are not feeling 100% post THR. I too struggled with back pain after my LTHR. Have you worked with a physio? A good physio can help you with core stability exercises to offer your lower back more support. I also saw an osteopath for awhile as my lower back was really locked up post LTHR.

I still struggle with back issues but find if I keep moving things ease. Please keep us updated.
 
Hi @NoraJ I just saw your update. It is nice to see an familiar name. I just hit 11 months post op and am still dealing with thigh pain. It just won't go away and has made my progress very slow. I hope you are feeling better as time goes on!
 
Thank you for your words of support. I think I was really feeling sorry for myself yesterday..well for the past couple of weeks. I think I will schedule an appointment with my Physio for my back some days it is very sore. As for my knees we won't go there yet!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Dmcfad2 I saw your update about still having pain in your leg and was so sorry to hear that it was still not right. I occasionally get a stabbing pain in my leg but it doesn't last and I think is related to my body adjusting to my LLD when I'm standing. I do hope we both feel better with time. I've booked a trip to Italy in June and I want to enjoy strolling the streets of Venice and Vincenza! Plus I hope to visit my friend in Chicago in September and enjoy it! I'm hoping its a case of mind over matter and some Physio....
 
Nora I have lower back pain, too.
L4/L5 DDD.
Good to see your post.....


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Ooooo nice trips Nora I can fit into a surprisingly small suitcase

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Legin ...Well I did pay Ryanair a tidy sum for my suitcase for Italy!!!! I should really get my money's worth!
 
@MajorHeidi.... I should really find out the technical location of my back pain... I had an MRI in April last year and outside of normal wear and tear??? There wasn't an issue thus my OS agreed with my Physio that it was related the the hips and poor rotation. I had such sympathy for people who lived with chronic pain... And was grateful I didn't... Well that changed!

I hope you can get some comfort so to your issues. I realised that I was looking drawn and tired yesterday and it was due to the pain. So I decided to take some paractamol early in the day and at lunch time a nd it helped....so I'll give that a go for a bit and hope it eases with exercise.
 
@NoraJ Hi hun, nice to see you. I am sorry you are still getting so much pain - it seems grossly unfair. If a bit of medication gives you a better day, it sounds well worth it though! I go to a very warm pool (92 - 95f) and find it really helps with every ache & pain I have. I have had ongoing lower back pain since 2 disc surgeries and find the pool and sleeping with a wedge under my knees helps. I hope if nothing else, your doctor can help you get it sorted out when you see him in May. A bit o physio would be a great idea too.
@Dmcfad2 I have been getting a lot of thigh pain this last month which I attributed to spasm caused by our extremely cold winter. Last week I mentioned it to my physio as it was getting unbearable. She flipped me onto my stomach and pushed my foot up towards my bum. The stretching in my thigh was not very comfortable, but with her now doing that 4 or 5 times when I go to physio, the pain is virtually gone!
 
Agreed hv had loads lower back pain in past. Either stretches or i wld hang off eaves
 
I probably escaped quite a bit of pain until the past year...I must try the stretches too.. I still get bad pain bending unless I do golfers reach... Or I think some nerve pain.

@Legin you are welcome to sneak in ....as long as you're prepared forty Irish singers on their holidays in a country with great wine.....at a choral festival,warm weather,sunshine....
 
One year anniversary yesterday! What an odd year it has been.... I feel better but still have pain but that is mostly in my back. Not sure if that pain is related to my hip or not. I have to schedule an appointment with my OS to see about round 2 and having my left hip done. But overall I'm doing good and holding my own.
 
Wow - one year already! Well done!
I feel better but still have pain but that is mostly in my back.
I have lower back issue that have been (somewhat) relieved after my second THR. See a spinal specialist if you can just to rule out any spinal issues. Good luck with hip number 2. I don't regret at all getting my second hip done quickly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom