Guest viewing is limited

THR Dogchick's Hippy Recovery Adventure

@dogchick
I do know that movie.
Anne Hattaway's acting is superb.:rotfl:
Oh Good! Then you do know what I was referring to! She was amazing in all of those movies. They are one of my favorite series movies.

I live in Mexico but I've lived in several US cities as well. And I love movies, no matter if they are artsy or popcornish.
I love movies too, not a big fan of horror movies, but otherwise, I enjoy watching several genre's.

Give your crutches a 2nd Chance at 2 weeks. Maybe the dizziness fades a bit by then.
I use my crutches every day, to get away from my bed and to a larger space where I "park" my walker, and I will sometimes get lazy and just use the crutches to get from the bed to the bathroom. I've also used them to go all the way into the kitchen, but not very often. I have to wear the Active Care system, which are the cuffs that go around your legs and they pump up with air randomly. The base unit has a strap so when you are walking you hang it around your neck...anyway, I find the walker a good place to hang it when I am going to the bathroom, or to the kitchen to make up some food or something, it's a little on the heavy side.

Anyways good luck on your recovery.
You'll have lots of time to watch a Mia Thermopolis movie marathon.:tada:
Thank you! I should have Pup Prince #1 see if he has those movies at Wal-mart. He's the Electronics Manager there. I would love to watch them again. :yes!:
 
Little update...I think I may be turning a corner tonight. Around 8:30pm I got up and went back to my bedroom so Dogdude could change the bandage and I could get ready for bed. When I got up from the recliner, and grabbed my walker, Dogdude said, "You look like you are doing better today, you got up really well." I hadn't even noticed it until he said that. I had gotten right up without any pain, soreness, or any slowness! When I got to my bed and attempted to get in, again, very little if any pain, and I got right in. Usually, it takes me at least 3-5 minutes just to get my legs up on the bed completely. I've gotten back up, cleaned up around the room, went to the bathroom with crutches, went out to the kitchen from there, drank some Miralax after mixing it, and then came back to the bedroom and got right into bed with NO issues, NO pain! Ok, maybe a slight twinge, but really nothing! :yahoo: Guys...I think I'm on my way! I don't think I'm even going to visit Party Girl tonight! :wowspring:

Only problem I'm having is bathroom issues. I didn't think I was, but today when PT girl asked me if I would consider myself constipated...I thought about it...and I had to say yes. :sad: I'm thinking an enema might be in order at this point. :sigh: I am going to look one up on Walmart and see if one of the Pup-Princes can run and pick it up for me tomorrow. They both work there, and it's only a 5 minute drive from our house. I'll be back to report how that worked. :heehee: I did take Miralax twice today, but still nothing, so I'm going for the flush. LOL! Sorry if that was TMI. Trying to get myself sleepy now so I can get to sleep. OH! one more thing. PT Girl confirmed that I can sleep on my non-op side!! :yes!: I'm so excited about that! Have a good night fellow Hippies! :sleeep:
 
Last edited:
[Bonesmart.org] Dogchick's Hippy Recovery Adventure
 
Hmm...I could have sworn someone posted the post surgical articles in this thread, but I'm not finding them....:what:

Ok, I found the articles on someone else's thread, but I'm not finding the information I'm looking for, I've searched all over, but can't find the information about constipation and the various interventions and how they work...can someone help me?
 
Last edited:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
You're welcome! We aim to please :wink:

I think I left the Recovery Article on your pre-op thread a day or two before surgery.
You were so well prepared I figured you could read it with a clear head. I honestly don't think I read it for weeks post op. I'd start, then re-start. Couldn't concentrate enough to get through even one article.
Not sure if you noticed but at the top of the page under the blue bar, you can access the Library which is full of interesting and useful info.
A great day to you!
@dogchick
 
here's my monster face!
Daddy! DogPrincess is playing with mommy's makeup again!

Guys...I think I'm on my way! I don't think I'm even going to visit Party Girl tonight!
That's how it happens! One day your hobbling around, with no sign on improvement, then suddenly you're at the local basketball court looking for pickup games. Ups and downs, and they come fast, especially in the early days.

Only problem I'm having is bathroom issues.
Did I mention downs? Ugh. Sorry. My own lack of, um, motivation lasted almost a week, in spite of Miralaxing the heck out of myself. Finally my lovely and talented wife suggested that even though I felt no particular need, that I spend a little quiet time meditating on the color of the bathroom walls just to see what would happen, and sure enough, my meditations quickly lead to inspiration.

Have you heard about the "Bomb"? *Shudders.* Layla posted it for me, and I'll post it here if you're interested.
 
Constipation wise....
Senna worked great on me.
I only tooked it on a needed basis. Not everyday.
I read that metamucil and the sort aren't good for constipation caused by meds. It would make bigger bulkier stools enhancing the problem of getting them out :scaredycat:
 
I love your posts and you have me laughing, which is the best medicine. It's good you are staying head of your pain because that will enable you to heal. The stubborn kraut (1/2 German) stays away from heavy meds, but I also have a very high tolerance for pain. I had tramadol in the hospital and a few days when I got home, but since then 2-extra strength Tylenol every six hours has worked wonders for me. I had an anterior so they didn't give me any TED or compression socks. I just did a ton of ankle pumps. You will be tossing the walker soon. I was unstable on crutches so I went right from walker to cane about 4 days after surgery. Baby steps and I hope you have a good day.
 
You're welcome! We aim to please :wink:

I think I left the Recovery Article on your pre-op thread a day or two before surgery.
You were so well prepared I figured you could read it with a clear head. I honestly don't think I read it for weeks post op. I'd start, then re-start. Couldn't concentrate enough to get through even one article.
Not sure if you noticed but at the top of the page under the blue bar, you can access the Library which is full of interesting and useful info.
A great day to you!
@dogchick
Oh...hahahhaha!! :snork: Well, that would explain why I couldn't find it in this thread! I forgot, you did do that! Well, thanks for posting it here too. I did notice the library...I thought I looked in there and didn't see it?? I'll have to have a look in there again. Dory takes over and I can't remember....Stuff.
 
Daddy! DogPrincess is playing with mommy's makeup again!
:rofsign: Snapchat to the rescue, thankfully I wasn't REALLY made up like that! That was taken in a science classroom at the high school I work at. One of my students was trying to secretly take a picture of me with that filter on, I knew she was doing it, so just as she went to take it, I turned and looked at her with a crazy face. LOL! They were cracking up! I like to have fun with my kids. :snork:


That's how it happens! One day your hobbling around, with no sign on improvement, then suddenly you're at the local basketball court looking for pickup games. Ups and downs, and they come fast, especially in the early days.
It's crazy! I'm trying to not over do it, but it feels great to be up and around easier. I haven't seen Party Girl since...hmmm...since yesterday at 11:15am! I am still taking the time-released Morphine once in the morning and once at bedtime, plus the Tylenol. But no Party Girl...hmm...I kind of miss her, actually, she was fun.

Did I mention downs? Ugh. Sorry. My own lack of, um, motivation lasted almost a week, in spite of Miralaxing the heck out of myself. Finally my lovely and talented wife suggested that even though I felt no particular need, that I spend a little quiet time meditating on the color of the bathroom walls just to see what would happen, and sure enough, my meditations quickly lead to inspiration.
Well, I am taking Colace 2 times a day, Senna-S at bedtime, Dulcolax every morning, while I was able to go for most days, it was always like passing a brick...or rather, I should say a partial brick. So yesterday I started taking Miralax because I heard it does wonders....it hasn't done sh...well you know....sooo...last resort is the enema. Which will be happening as soon as Pup-Prince #2 (hahaha! Pun not intended) gets out of the bathroom. It's tough having just one bathroom for 4 people.

Have you heard about the "Bomb"? *Shudders.* Layla posted it for me, and I'll post it here if you're interested.
I most definitely would like to hear about the "Bomb"...it sounds intriguing.

Hey...did you notice?? I learned how to split up a post into sections so I can reply....I'm very proud of myself. Thank you very much. :curtsey:
 
Last edited:
Constipation wise....
Senna worked great on me.
I only tooked it on a needed basis. Not everyday.
I read that metamucil and the sort aren't good for constipation caused by meds. It would make bigger bulkier stools enhancing the problem of getting them out :scaredycat:
I've actually been taking Senna-S every day for about a week now....besides Colace and Dulcolax and most recently Miralax. Nothing was working. LOL!
 
I love your posts and you have me laughing, which is the best medicine. It's good you are staying head of your pain because that will enable you to heal. The stubborn kraut (1/2 German) stays away from heavy meds, but I also have a very high tolerance for pain. I had tramadol in the hospital and a few days when I got home, but since then 2-extra strength Tylenol every six hours has worked wonders for me. I had an anterior so they didn't give me any TED or compression socks. I just did a ton of ankle pumps. You will be tossing the walker soon. I was unstable on crutches so I went right from walker to cane about 4 days after surgery. Baby steps and I hope you have a good day.
Wow! I can't even imagine using a cane 4 days after surgery! I tried it, and was EXTREMELY unstable (physically, not psychologically...although, some would beg to differ :snork:) I just get a little too off balance. That's been a problem for me even before surgery, so nothing new, would just wobble all of a sudden for no reason. Now after the surgery it's even more pronounced...and dangerous. I mentioned in another reply on my thread that I get a vasovagal response to pain...makes my blood pressure drop and makes me lightheaded and dizzy, so being upright when something is painful, is not a good thing. So I use my walker more as a steadying device now. Now that I'm not having as much pain, I've been trying to use my crutches more. I do pretty good with them, but still have moments of getting wobbly and off kilter. I don't know what is causing it to be honest, just something I have had for a few years. The cords from my active care unit are a pain and get in the way and sometimes tangled in with the crutches, so it's sort of a hazard because of that. Hoping Monday I will be able to let the unit go and no more cords. I will miss the leg massages though. I've thoroughly enjoyed that part of it. I'm more stable on crutches then I am with the cane, but I'm sure I'll get there eventually. I'm glad you are enjoying my thread. I love humor, I don't know how I'd survive without it. Glad to hear your recuperation is going well. :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited:
Posted with the caveat that I never got this desperate:

This is the "Bomb" recipe for anyone Brave (or Desperate) enough to use it.
  • one dose liquid milk of magnesia in an 8 oz. measuring cup
  • fill to 8 oz. mark with prune juice
  • Add 1 Tbsp. dark Karo syrup
  • Heat in microwave
  • Enjoy.
My DIL (hospital chaplain) also offered this version (called Candy Apple)
  • one dose of MoM in an 8 oz. measuring cup
  • fill to 8 oz. mark with apple juice
  • spoonful of brown sugar
  • Heat in microwave
  • Enjoy
Thoughts on the Bomb:
  • Beware starting this recipe if you've only purchased Cherry Flavored MoM
  • DH got "100% Prune Juice" as opposed to the store brand kind where (though it said 100% Prune Juice, the first ingredient was Water, which made DH deem if unacceptable) :bignono: The consistency of the PJ he got was very thick/syrupy.
  • I think the idea of the Karo was to sweeten the pot.... but with the cherry flavor and the Karo the resulting hot drink was sickeningly sweet and had the texture of hot beef gravy.
Thoughts on the Candy Apple:

  • I didn't make this, but if I were going to - I'd get the regular MoM
  • Buy the cheapest Apple Juice you can find...
  • I would error on the side of too little brown sugar, at least to start.
 
@Bone-obo Ewww! *shivers* That sounds horrible! I don't blame you for not getting that desperate! :bolt:

[Bonesmart.org] Dogchick's Hippy Recovery Adventure

This is going to be a product review of sorts, I hope that's ok. So, this morning I ordered a Fleet Enema from Walmart and set delivery for store pick-up. The price was $4.24. I only bought 1 box, figuring I only needed to use it once. Found out there are 4 bottles in the box. Clearly I didn't read the description...I was feeling too desperate, I guess. So, Anyway, that was a great price for 4, I thought. I followed the directions, with the exception of position as it said to be on left side, which is my Op side, and it said you could also be knee to chest, which also didn't work for me. I placed a trash bag on my bed, with a towel over it and laid on my back pretty much. Once the meds were applied, it literally took LESS than a minute!! I'm just saying....I had to really RUSH to the bathroom...grabbed a robe to go in with me. I had made sure that Pup-Prince #2 already put my water bottle in the bathroom, in case I needed it. Amazingly, I was only in the bathroom for a few minutes. About an hour later I did have to go again, not as urgently, but this stuff works FAST! Your mileage may vary, since the box said it works in 15 minutes to 1 hour. But I definitely recommend using this if none of the other things are working for you. This is the one I got, but I'm sure the other brands work in similar fashion.

[Bonesmart.org] Dogchick's Hippy Recovery Adventure

Another product I wanted to recommend is probably more for the ladies, but can't see why men couldn't use it as well. Garnier Skinactive Micellar cleansing water. Now, there are other brands of Micellar water on the market that you can buy, so I'm sure they all are good products. I just happened to have a bottle of this brand as a sample I received a while back, so that is what my experience is with. I happen to really love this product. It cleanses your face, you don't have to rinse, so no messy sinks, water everywhere from rinsing, a big positive in my eyes when you recuperating. All you do is grab a cotton pad, like the kind you buy to remove make-up or whatever, or in my case, one of Pup-Prince #1's co-workers gave me a get well bag with a bunch of crocheted face scrubbies, so that's what I used. Pour some of the Micellar water on it and wipe down your face/neck/back of neck/ears/behind ears. It is very refreshing and feels so good. Afterwards just throw on some face moisturizer and you are good to go. It does remove make-up if you need it too. So using it at night before bed is quick and easy, you don't have to stand up long to take care of your face. In the summer, store it in the refrigerator and you will have a nice way to make yourself feel refreshed. I hope you found these product reviews helpful.
 
@dogchick Great to see that you are finally "relieved". My one experience with Fleet was fleet (fast)! I hope to start taking something gentle and oral soon after I start the pain meds, to avoid an bathroom date with Fleet. Good to know that the product still lives up to it's name!! UGH!! You must feel much better though:)
Your adventures with partygirl and your posts have been very helpful but also :loll:. Laughter really is the best medicine :rotfl: . Thank you for sharing with us newbies to the forum...so appreciated. Wishing you continued great healing on the post-op journey:flwrysmile:
 
I use that same brand of micellar water. I use it to take off my makeup and then use another facial cleanser, but it's great for a quick refresh. I took a small bottle with me to the hospital but I didn't have any time or motivation for personal care the short time I was there.

Thankfully I didn't have to resort to the enema. Popcorn got things moving for me!
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom