Guest viewing is limited

THR Dogchick's Hippy Recovery Adventure

Good Evening Fellow Hippies,
I got a little antsy today and ended up being quite a bit more active.
1. I got up and packed all my stuff up to bring into the living room, got all but the laptop and grabber in there in a few trips. Woke Pup-Prince #2 up to bring those out for me.
2. Made oatmeal with sliced strawberries and slivered almonds, put it in the bowl and had the Prince bring it in the living room for me so I could eat. Before going in there, I put dishes in the dishwasher and washed a couple by hand that can't go in the dishwasher.
3. Cleaned up in the living room, picked up dog toys and put them in her basket.
4. Went back to my bedroom, hung up some clothes that needed to be hung. Put some clothes in the bureau. Cleaned up in the bedroom a bit too.
5. Sliced up zucchini, yellow squash, onions, cooked up in a pan for lunch, with some sliced cheese. Deliciousness!
[Bonesmart.org] Dogchick's Hippy Recovery Adventure
6. Washed up the pan, and put the other dishes in the dishwasher
7. Changed the hand towels in the bathroom
8. Filled up water bottles for myself.
Then I had a chance to sit and relax and enjoy a visit with a friend who was here for about 4 hours...very enjoyable! Then, after she left:
9. Brought all my stuff back to the bedroom, took a few trips
10. refilled my pill box for the week, which took about 15 minutes because I was trying to concentrate on what goes in for AM and what goes in for PM, and my mom called to talk to me.
11. Got dressed for bed, put away the clothes I was wearing. Organized everything where they needed to be.
12. Went to the bathroom, cleaned up a bit in there, pretty much just reorganized and wiped some things down.
13. Went back to the living room and told Dogdude I was ready for my bandage change.
Now I am in bed relaxing. I am going to try to go without my morphine tonight and see how that goes. I have it in a little container next to my bed just in case I get too painful.

When I woke up this morning, my leg wasn't nearly as swollen as it had been yesterday, so that was good. But, by the time I came back to bed, it was pretty swollen. I don't think I was icing and elevating as much as I should have been. I forgot to take my 2pm Tylenol, so I took it tonight with all my other vitamins/pills. I'm kind of sore, more so than usual, but I figure that's probably normal with my activity level and forgetting to ice as much as I should have been. I hope you all had a good Saturday. I will post about whether I was able to make it through the night without morphine.

Oh, quick question. Monday is my Post-op appt. Do you think I should take something for pain before going to get the staples out? I'm supposed to have PT and OT sometime after the appointment too.

Oh, so, I tried to use my crutches more today, and tried using one crutch...I could only take a couple of steps with just one crutch. It's not that I don't have enough strength, but it's painful deeper inside. Is that normal? It's hard for me to tell if my joint pain is gone because it hurts in there when I put weight on it. Can't tell if it's all muscle or what though. I will take a step, with one crutch, and I have to put a lot of weight on the crutch. I've also tried to take a step without any support, and that is definitely not happening, my leg really hurts and it tries to buckle under me. I know we all heal at our own rate, I just can't help feeling that I should be able to put more weight on it by now.
 
The Killing is good - a nice re-watch.

Seven Secons or Four seconds is from the same producers.
It's about a cop who runs over a kid and they try to cover it up.
Rough storyline, great characters everyone with their good and bad sides and personal drama.
 
@Hip2BGone I keep seeing Riverdale on Netflix and wonder about it. I've got it on now, we'll see if I like it. :)

It's kind of geared towards theteen audience, but so is the princess diaries LOL.

I really dig it, it's a spin off the Archie Comics. With a little bit of a darker tone but still PG-13ish.
 
Oh, quick question. Monday is my Post-op appt. Do you think I should take something for pain before going to get the staples out? I'm supposed to have PT and OT sometime after the appointment too.

Oh, so, I tried to use my crutches more today, and tried using one crutch...I could only take a couple of steps with just one crutch. It's not that I don't have enough strength, but it's painful deeper inside. Is that normal? I just can't help feeling that I should be able to put more weight on it by now.

I didn't take anything when they took my staples out. I was scared but it didnt hurt at all.
If you do PT, maybe you'll end up needing a pain pill and/or ice afterwards.
I ice after every OT session.

I have tried using one crutch and it is way more dificult, and my gait is horrible as i am all over towards the side of the crutch.
Two crutches allows you to control the ammount of preassure you want to apply, and it keeps you balanced until the muscles that take care of balance heal and get stronger.

It's not so long ago when i started to take little steps without support. But before trying that I started to stand on both feet unsoported when washing teeth, showering, etc.
I was so scared at first because i felt unstability, pain, weakness, fear of tipping over.
Spending a little bit more time each day made the initial fear to start fading away.
Another thing that helped me was to do ROM movements with my good leg while holding into the kitchen counter. It was really tough at first but it got easier every single time.

As the strenght and balance slowly stars to come back you'll feel more confident into gradually applying more weight.

However I started doing all this until my Dr. told me to start doing so. .
 
Last edited:
@dogchick , unfortunately I have bowel issues...bowel resection last year for restriction caused by diverticulitis. So I swing back and forth between constipation and loose stools. My go to remedy is Sunsweet PLUM juice... NOT the dreaded prune juice. It works well and tastes good. Walmart has it. I buy the lite version and drink 6 oz every other day and as needed. Really helps
 
It's kind of geared towards theteen audience, but so is the princess diaries LOL.

I really dig it, it's a spin off the Archie Comics. With a little bit of a darker tone but still PG-13ish.
I actually did enjoy the show, watched a few episodes. It reminds me of the show "Thirteen Reasons Why". I may be 53, but I'm still a teenager at heart. :heehee: I work with teenagers all day long, so when I watch these shows, I know what they are talking about. LOL! I used to read the Archie comic books all the time. I kind of miss those now. They don't make them like they used to.
 
I didn't take anything when they took my staples out. I was scared but it didnt hurt at all.
If you do PT, maybe you'll end up needing a pain pill and/or ice afterwards.
I ice after every OT session.

I have tried using one crutch and it is way more dificult, and my gait is horrible as i am all over towards the side of the crutch.
Two crutches allows you to control the ammount of preassure you want to apply, and it keeps you balanced until the muscles that take care of balance heal and get stronger.

It's not so long ago when i started to take little steps without support. But before trying that I started to stand on both feet unsoported when washing teeth, showering, etc.
I was so scared at first because i felt unstability, pain, weakness, fear of tipping over.
Spending a little bit more time each day made the initial fear to start fading away.
Another thing that helped me was to do ROM movements with my good leg while holding into the kitchen counter. It was really tough at first but it got easier every single time.

As the strenght and balance slowly stars to come back you'll feel more confident into gradually applying more weight.

However I started doing all this until my Dr. told me to start doing so. .
Thank you for your encouragement! It's good to hear what others are doing. Then you can kind of pick and choose and personalize what to do to continue growing. I have been doing a lot on my feet lately, and moving away from the walker a few steps, like when I'm preparing a meal or in the bathroom and doing my make-up/brushing teeth, etc. Little by little, but I can really only have full weight on my op leg for a couple of seconds before I feel it wanting to buckle under me. I will continue to keep trying though. I appreciate your perspective and your experience. It's helpful.
 
Good Morning Hipsters,
I have news. I actually slept through the night last night! :yes!: I actually fell asleep around 10pm and slept until about 6am! That's so awesome! I've been falling asleep around 12:30am and waking up at 3am, which isn't too bad, but made me need to nap around 8:30am all the time. LOL! Oh, and on top of all that, I didn't take any morphine last night. :whistle: Just Tylenol My leg swelling was down, and I can do normal human things, but my leg is a bit on the sore side. I don't know that I could go completely without something besides Tylenol for pain, especially when I have PT or have to go out of the house for whatever reason. For now, I haven't taken the morphine yet. I told Dogdude that I will see how I do, but if I can handle my pain levels without it, for the most part, that would be great!

I got up and went to the bathroom this morning, (I'm happy to report that everything went quite "smoothly" this morning. :heehee: ) made my tea and went back to bed to relax, drink tea, eat a donut and get on the laptop. (All on crutches, no walker!) I asked Dogdude to please make some scrambled eggs for me this morning because I was feeling a little sore and just wanted to sit and ice for awhile. He's a good dude. He cooked them perfectly and even brought them back to my room for me. :roseshwr:

Plans for today: Sew up the holes in my hospital issued compression socks. Get a good clean up of my body tonight, ice, ice, and more ice. My knee is kind of throbbing right now, so I may have to cave in and get some morphine on board. I only have 3 left, so I'm using them sparingly. I still have some Party Girl (Percocet) left if I HAVE to have something after the morphine is gone. And tomorrow I have my Post-op appointment so I will see what they say as far as pain control. Enjoy your Sunday and I'll check in later.
 
Well, I had to break down and take my morphine. After getting up and getting dressed and moving all around, to be presentable and not scare the family, I was on my feet for a little while. My knee is throbbing and my my hip is feeling quite sore and a bit tender now. I want to stay ahead of the pain, so....little blue pill is down the hatch. Good things come in small packages. :heehee: Now I'm going to listen to my bible services over the phone tie-in, and hopefully not fall asleep like I did last week. :snork:
 
Hi @dogchick! I think Isle of Dogs is still in the theaters here in SoCal. I think Hubby found it via the Firestick. He's an AV techie so I barely know how to turn on the TV but I think that's how he accessed it. It's been out in theaters since March or April.
 
@luvsibes I guess I'll have to wait until it's out on DVD then, or on Netflix or Amazon Prime. LOL! But I'll be on the lookout for itl
 
I know, I know! I'm kind of a prolific poster. It's hard to keep up with me. :rotfl: I just had to come and post because I am SOOOO HAPPY!!! We are FINALLY getting our chicken coop over to our house! Along with the 3 chickens that are coming with it! We were supposed to get them by the end of May, but between Dogdude's schedule and our friend's schedule, (I'll call him Poolguy, because that's his business), it was hard to get them together to get it over here. I was SO excited that the first part of the coop was here (the red part) that I just HAD to go outside, down the 5 steps, and around the house all the way to the backyard to go see it! Then I saw my babies were there too!!! (They are not babies, one is 7yrs. old and no longer laying, and the other 2 are a couple years old at least), I crutched over to them, they were in a dog crate, and had to say hello to them and started pulling grass from the lawn and throwing it in to them. :heehee: I was greeting them saying, "Hello, my sweet Chicky-wickens!!" :giggle: I think they know I'm their new mama now because I gave them something to peck around at. :snork: I can't wait to see the whole thing all put together with my babies in there now. We have neighbors pretty close to us, on all sides, I'm sure it was comical to see a lady on crutches with leg cuffs on and a machine hanging around her neck, practically "running" :happydance: (as best as you can run in crutches in grass) around the house to the backyard and talking baby talk to the "girls". Dogdude was shaking his head and saying, "What are you doing out here??" Pup-prince #1 was laughing saying, "I knew it!" and Poolguy had a huge grin on his face and was laughing. He was the first one to spot me and said, "Oh, and here she comes!" :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: I didn't want to go back in the house because I wanted to stay out with "The Girls" and have a little chat woman to hens with them. But Dogdude was impatient. :blackcloud:He said, "I want to leave to get the other part, but I have to make sure you get in the house ok first. :hissy: This was my very first time getting outside and into the backyard since my surgery, how dare he imply I belong in the house! :snork:

So, how does my getting chickens apply to this forum..well, it kind of doesn't except that...OMG! I crutched ALL the way out there and back!! (It is muggy as heck out there too!) I really wasn't even sure if I was going to be able to get all the way out there, and then back. I knew I could get there, it was the getting back I wasn't sure about. But I did it! :yes!: So exciting. I am now in my recliner and icing. I'm not hurting, but just in case, I thought I'd better ice. I am planning to go back out once they have everything set, to welcome them in grand style by throwing them some fruit salad to enjoy on this muggy day. :wave: I might have to take some pictures. I now will have motivation to get out there at least once a day to collect the eggs and visit them. I was thinking this was bad timing, but maybe it's just what I needed. :yes:
Oh, and here's a picture of the coop...taken in their yard, not ours. It was taken when it was really cold, so there were boards up to keep the cold out, that's why it looks so dark inside.
[Bonesmart.org] Dogchick's Hippy Recovery Adventure
 
Last edited:
Good Evening Fellow Hippies,
I got a little antsy today and ended up being quite a bit more active.
1. I got up and packed all my stuff up to bring into the living room, got all but the laptop and grabber in there in a few trips. Woke Pup-Prince #2 up to bring those out for me.
2. Made oatmeal with sliced strawberries and slivered almonds, put it in the bowl and had the Prince bring it in the living room for me so I could eat. Before going in there, I put dishes in the dishwasher and washed a couple by hand that can't go in the dishwasher.
3. Cleaned up in the living room, picked up dog toys and put them in her basket.
4. Went back to my bedroom, hung up some clothes that needed to be hung. Put some clothes in the bureau. Cleaned up in the bedroom a bit too.
5. Sliced up zucchini, yellow squash, onions, cooked up in a pan for lunch, with some sliced cheese. Deliciousness!
[Bonesmart.org] Dogchick's Hippy Recovery Adventure
6. Washed up the pan, and put the other dishes in the dishwasher
7. Changed the hand towels in the bathroom
8. Filled up water bottles for myself.
Then I had a chance to sit and relax and enjoy a visit with a friend who was here for about 4 hours...very enjoyable! Then, after she left:
9. Brought all my stuff back to the bedroom, took a few trips
10. refilled my pill box for the week, which took about 15 minutes because I was trying to concentrate on what goes in for AM and what goes in for PM, and my mom called to talk to me.
11. Got dressed for bed, put away the clothes I was wearing. Organized everything where they needed to be.
12. Went to the bathroom, cleaned up a bit in there, pretty much just reorganized and wiped some things down.
13. Went back to the living room and told Dogdude I was ready for my bandage change.
Now I am in bed relaxing. I am going to try to go without my morphine tonight and see how that goes. I have it in a little container next to my bed just in case I get too painful.

When I woke up this morning, my leg wasn't nearly as swollen as it had been yesterday, so that was good. But, by the time I came back to bed, it was pretty swollen. I don't think I was icing and elevating as much as I should have been. I forgot to take my 2pm Tylenol, so I took it tonight with all my other vitamins/pills. I'm kind of sore, more so than usual, but I figure that's probably normal with my activity level and forgetting to ice as much as I should have been. I hope you all had a good Saturday. I will post about whether I was able to make it through the night without morphine.

Oh, quick question. Monday is my Post-op appt. Do you think I should take something for pain before going to get the staples out? I'm supposed to have PT and OT sometime after the appointment too.

Oh, so, I tried to use my crutches more today, and tried using one crutch...I could only take a couple of steps with just one crutch. It's not that I don't have enough strength, but it's painful deeper inside. Is that normal? It's hard for me to tell if my joint pain is gone because it hurts in there when I put weight on it. Can't tell if it's all muscle or what though. I will take a step, with one crutch, and I have to put a lot of weight on the crutch. I've also tried to take a step without any support, and that is definitely not happening, my leg really hurts and it tries to buckle under me. I know we all heal at our own rate, I just can't help feeling that I should be able to put more weight on it by now.
Dogchick,
Chickens - Great movitational tool.
I would have done the same thing to get to see them.

When I went to my appointment to have staples removed, I had a nice surprise. There were no staples. Doctor ended up gluing & putting steristrips on it.

Glad you got to sleep through the night. That can actually make a big difference in how you feel.

Happy days,
Gundo
 
Love all the suggestions for movies. @dogchick I have been dying to see Greatest Showman. I hear it's awesome. Now that I am at four weeks I get a little forgetful and not so aware of the things I shouldn't be doing. Today I caught myself crossing my ankes under the table at dinner. I about had a heart attack and no alcohol.for me because for sure I would start pivoting and doing other no-no's. Keep up.all the great posts
 
Love all the suggestions for movies. @dogchick I have been dying to see Greatest Showman. I hear it's awesome. Now that I am at four weeks I get a little forgetful and not so aware of the things I shouldn't be doing. Today I caught myself crossing my ankes under the table at dinner. I about had a heart attack and no alcohol.for me because for sure I would start pivoting and doing other no-no's. Keep up.all the great posts

I did exactly the same thing.
I had a couple of drinks for the first time since surgery and I was a little boozed up and caught myself crossing my good leg over my bad one.
:yikes:

That was my sign as to stop drinking, I was getting too comfortable :heehee:
 
Taking a little pain relief before been hurt isn't a bad idea. It would be recommended, especailly if you do have staples. Why cause yourself more discomfort than needed.
I'm only early stages but think going from 2 to 1 crutch will feel sore in the joint as now it is truly getting all your weight where as before you could limit the weight on the joint. I'd say not to worry as you've strengthened the muscles and now it is just a cause of a slightly different weight bearing movement.
 
Love all the suggestions for movies. @dogchick I have been dying to see Greatest Showman. I hear it's awesome. Now that I am at four weeks I get a little forgetful and not so aware of the things I shouldn't be doing. Today I caught myself crossing my ankes under the table at dinner. I about had a heart attack and no alcohol.for me because for sure I would start pivoting and doing other no-no's. Keep up.all the great posts
The Greatest Showman was really, really good! You have to like musicals though. The soundtrack is FANTASTIC! I am now in the market for that. LOL!

I've caught myself starting to cross my ankles when sitting in the recliner with my feet up. That's how I always sat in it, so I think it's just a mindless thing.
 
Today is the big day! My Post-op appointment. Staples will be gone. Woo Hoo! Even my leg cuffs will be gone! They are a great hindrance because of the cords and having to wear the machine. They make it hard to walk without there being a tripping hazard.

I didn't take any morphine last night. I think I'm ok at night and don't need it to sleep. However, I do feel a little sore in the morning, though, so I took it this morning so I can get through the day. Besides the Post Op appointment, I have PT and OT today as well.

I got up this morning, made a bowl of cereal and my tea, ate that, then got up and washed my hair, got dressed, got everything out to the livingroom. Now I'm ready for a nap. LOL! I think walking out to the chicken coop and back, twice yesterday might have worn me out.

Dogdude went to work for the morning, but is coming home to bring me to the OS office. I think that's all I have to say...shocking, isn't it? :snork:
 
Back
Top Bottom