THR Nana has Landed on the Other Side

Happy Thursday!
Hope the past 24 hrs have been good and that your pain Is well managed.
Sneak in lots of naps in and ice, ice, ice :ice:
Update us when you're able....we'll be here.
Wishing you a great day of healing!
@NanaMama
 
@NanaMama :welome: and congratulations on your new baby Hip! Keep resting, icing and elevating, it works wonders. Best wishes for a great recovery!
 
Congratulations @NanaMama the hard part is over, now the slow and steady recovery to reclaim your life!

After reading your first post, I want whatever drugs you had, pretty please? :praying:
You’re so funny, that wonderful disposition will get you far.
Thanks for sharing your journey. Rest up and ice! :ice:
 
Still constipated... throwing up past 20 hours - don't think I'm keeping pain meds down.
Been rough. Prayers appreciated.
 
Oh no...poor Nana. Can your doctor prescribe you something for nausea?
:praying:
 
Aww, @NanaMama I'm so sorry...you poor dear!
Prayers for sure. Hopefully today brings some positive change.
Hugs to you :console2:
 
Hi, congratulations! I’m no expert but FWIW I stayed overnight and went home the next day. Only had compression stockings overnight the day of surgery, that was all! I took Xarelto for 10 days postop. I too was concerned about intestinal side effects of the opioids... Milk of Magnesia per directions the second night after surgery did the trick. After that all I needed was Tylenol and ice always felt great. Although opioids are encouraged they have side effects and may not always be necessary. Tylenol seems to be an underrated analgesic; 1000 mg every 8 hours worked for me.

Best of luck and remember to read the @Layla initial post frequently, especially the “Big Tip” at the bottom!

P.s. Great socks for the OR!!!

BG
 
Hope you start feeling better! Agree that doctor may be able to prescribe something to help with nausea. Don't let yourself get too dehydrated!
 
I am a lightweight when it comes to pain meds. I feel like a full Thanksgiving dinner is needed prior to pain Rx. My Anesthesiologist was kind. He gave me a patch to wear behind my ear. I read that it is OTC. You could ask your doctor about that little patch. I wore mine before, during & after surgery. I think it lasts 2-3 days. I won't do/take anything unless the doctor approves. Too many 'this' interacts with 'that'. I'm :chuckmarch:
 
@NanaMama

I pray you’re feeling better. Constipated, throwing up and no pain relief is a terrible combo. Drink Gatorade G2 if you can. Avoids dehydration on top of other problems.

Janet
 
Saturday 2/24 - Post Op Day 4: Well, I've had a few rough days, but nothing seemed to have anything to do with my hip. Some stiffness, but no swelling, incision looks dry, being cooperative wearing the TED hose and using the compression things on my legs (that sound like a cross between an airport tarmac and an ensemble of bagpipes warming up.:hissy: which is particularly annoying in the nighttime when you're trying to sleep.

The problem has been the &)&$#@ pain pills, which have caused most of my issues. I'm now "off" the hard stuff and only taking Tylenol. Yeah... I have some pain... but I've also had surgery, so that's expected PLUS there's not the other pain I've been living with OA, so how can I complain? Puking up all the non-digested food I'd eaten since my last vomiting session got to be the norm. I tried taking the "prune juice bomb" as recommended by the OS nurse - but I don't think there was any escape route :what: - however the PJB did not come 'back up' and I'd only gotten half of it down anyway. DH went to the local drug store and got a "Fleets Gel Suppository' that did dislodge some of the problem. I'm hoping the stool softeners and elimination of the pain meds keeps things going in a forward direction.:heehee:

I think I mentioned that I'm "on my own" for PT - I don't 'go to it' and they don't 'come to me'. I had a session before surgery and one directly after (where we had to pause and wait 30 min.after I nearly fainted trying to use the walker about 1.5 hr after surgery). The list of exercises they gave me (laminated sheet of photos) is very wimpy and makes me grateful to not be accountable for strenuousness repetitions. Someone asked me about how this forum had helped me in preparation for my surgery: "No two recoveries are alike". Can I get an Amen? I'm not cookie dough and there's no cookie cutter recovery (although cookie dough sounds really good right now). It is amazing how many different philosophies there are in the medical world too. Some THR don't have to wear TED hose at all.... or only a couple weeks.... and the compression cuffs.... I have to wear them 2 weeks (supposed to be 24/7 except for walking and showering.) I am to wear the TED hose (except for 3 hrs. daily) until APRIL 3. (6 weeks....) Obviously every doctor has prescribed what they find has been most successful for their patients.... but in light of the fact they give the same instructions to all their patients (and we know no two are alike). I'm not throwing the baby out with the bathwater.... but I have thrown out the Hydrocodine and the Oxicotin. I'll wear the compression cuffs MOST of the day... abide by the ROM rules - change the dressing (well, DH does... I'm not much into seeing Frankenstein lines on my body). I'm trying to move every couple hours (with the walker) and have no trouble going up/down steps to our bedroom. I ice a few times a day.

I haven't spent much time on the forum in the past couple days.... so wanted to Update. I need to get back on and check on those of you who have checked on me. I'm blessed! May God bless you, too. Love, Nana
 
I ditched the compression socks after post op 3, they felt like they were cutting off my foot circulation! I take aspirin 2 times a day for blood thinner. I actually liked the hospital cuffs inflating air, I imagined it was Matthew McConaughey massaging my legs.:)
 
Hi @NanaMama
I see both you and @Bumblebee have not lost the ability to entertain us. Humor intact!
I'm sorry for that vomiting, it had to be awful....you poor dear. It sounds as though you've improved
now, so good to hear!

I had a protocol similar to you. I received a pair of the DVT cuffs to use at home and return via mail once released from them. I found them to be a nuisance because I needed help getting them off and on.
I felt like a prisoner of sorts, "cuffs" is very fitting. I had to wear the compression socks until my first post op visit at 3 weeks. Twenty hours out of every twenty four. Aspirin therapy for 30 days. It was a relief to finally ditch the TEDS and cuffs. Felt like throwing a party :heehee:

I'm happy to hear you are thriving and things seem to be looking up.
I hope you have a comfy, cozy peaceful weekend!
 
This is the "Bomb" recipe for anyone Brave (or Desperate) enough to use it.
  • one dose liquid milk of magnesia in an 8 oz. measuring cup
  • fill to 8 oz. mark with prune juice
  • Add 1 Tbsp. dark Karo syrup
  • Heat in microwave
  • Enjoy.
My DIL (hospital chaplain) also offered this version (called Candy Apple)
  • one dose of MoM in an 8 oz. measuring cup
  • fill to 8 oz. mark with apple juice
  • spoonful of brown sugar
  • Heat in microwave
  • Enjoy
Thoughts on the Bomb:
  • Beware starting this recipe if you've only purchased Cherry Flavored MoM
  • DH got "100% Prune Juice" as opposed to the store brand kind where (though it said 100% Prune Juice, the first ingredient was Water, which made DH deem if unacceptable) :bignono: The consistency of the PJ he got was very thick/syrupy.
  • I think the idea of the Karo was to sweeten the pot.... but with the cherry flavor and the Karo the resulting hot drink was sickeningly sweet and had the texture of hot beef gravy.
Thoughts on the Candy Apple:

  • I didn't make this, but if I were going to - I'd get the regular MoM
  • Buy the cheapest Apple Juice you can find...
  • I would error on the side of too little brown sugar, at least to start.
When the bomb didn't detonate, (gave it 5-6 hrs). DH went to the local drug and got Fleets Gel Suppositories. I thought this might just 'clear the way' for the bomb to blast off (not to mention the SS and Myrlax I've taken the last few days)... but so far, nothing. However... I'm able to eat (and not throw it up undigested) and the terrible stomach pain has subsided.

I should have prefaced my comments about the pain medication - I don't think I've ever been able to take Hydrocodine (ever). I've have previous surgeries (not recently) and shouldn't have even try it (much less taken a full dose). The Oxi might have helped w/o puking... but the bowel trouble may have still existed (and maybe to even a greater degree). So to anyone who can tolerate the meds (but might need the bomb... mark this message "Informational") If you are off the scripts, but still needing a bomb... 'maybe' you can substitute the Apple Juice with Apple Schnapps :heehee:
 
I'm glad to hear that after ditching the pain meds you're feeling better @NanaMama. Prayers answered! I love when that happens. My OS suggested that I might be fine with just Tylenol after I get home, so that's what I'm hoping is the case. I have an issue with constipation much of the time, so pain meds will really be an issue for me. I already have a daily routine of stool softeners, fiber supplements, high fiber diet, probiotics and prunes. Hopefully after healing from surgery and I'm more active again this too shall pass - pun intended.

Relieved to see you back among us. Don't forget to rest, elevate and ice!
 
:rofsign:we gotta see humor during this trialsome time. Takin my MOM....not ready for "the bomb" quite yet. Don't think I could make it to the loo in time.:swoon:
 
Back
Top Bottom