• REGISTER for Joint Replacement Awareness Day on May 9th, 2020!

Surgeons, patients, and other medical professionals will talk about topics you've told are important to you. You can ask questions LIVE of the participants. Please "like" and "share" our JRAD notice on your Facebook page too!

Register and learn more in this announcement:

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR Ding ding Round 3

OP
OP
L

Lilli215

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Eman85 afraid I know the procedure only two well having had two total knee replacements in last three years. My pattern is usually not too bad a sleep first night home, then extremely sporadic sleep pattern for next 4-5 weeks! For me a pillow between the legs is mandatory as I’m the biggest leg crosser in the world!

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Happy to see you're home and that you at least got some decent sleep though you're thinking it's probably not going to last. I think eventually we all just get to a point where we just fall sleep from exhaustion! :yawn:. Hopefully things don't get too bad for you.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Welcome home! Then you were able to snag 7 hours of sleep, now that's a great update. I totally get it about the sporadic sleep. That plagued me for several months, it's good we are in recovery during that phase and can take naps whenever we want, yes?
But seriously, it's good to hear you are home where you belong, take care, ice and elevate! :flwrysmile:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi everybody had not too bad a night, first couple of hours were a nightmare trying to find the best combination of pillows to get me comfy, was in and out the bed like a yoyo (who needs physio!!).
:heehee: Poor @Lilli215
I can So relate, and So remember.

It was quite some time before I could get consecutive hours rest, and power napping in my recliner was my saving grace the first month.
Hang in there friend...healing hugs (and a flower) coming your way.:flwrysmile:

Fit4Family

post-grad
Country
@Lilli215

Welcome home and to the recovery side. You are a rehab pro at this point with 3 joint replacements!

I don’t know about you, but I kinda forgot about the first few nights my latest surgery. It’s a slog to be sure. Kinda just have to will yourself through it. Wasn’t exactly a magical day, but somewhere around 2 weeks I started feeling more like myself.

It’s just hard. :friends: Cat nap when you can. I am still taking daily naps at just under 3 weeks. Hang in there.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
was in and out the bed like a yoyo (who needs physio!!).
:heehee: Thanks for the laugh! I am sorry you were struggling though. Eventually sleeping for seven hours is wonderful! I hope you had a decent sleep last night also and are having a good day so far. Early days for sure, but as you know from experience they start clicking on by more quickly than we imagined they would.
A great rest of the week to you as you begin the journey! :walking:

OP
OP
L

Lilli215

senior
Country
So leg been very swollen since I came home from hosp, elevating as much as possible but with little effect and to cap it all have now developed a cellulitis on my lower shin. Same thing happened with my knee replacement last year!! Just back from GP and been put on a course of Flucloxacillin so hopefully that’ll help. Life isn’t smooth sailing that’s for sure!!!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:groan: oh my stars, I'm so sorry you have this to deal with.

Sending best wishes for rapid healing...stupid cellulitis! Hope it's not too painful.:console2:

Mollymax

graduate
Country
Hope you are ok. Cellulitis is awful. I have had it 7 times and been in hospital each time. Was so scared I would get it with my knee replacements but luckily I was ok. Are you managing to sleep ok? It must have been hard having to get the ferry home. The weather has been really awful here in Dumfries so being on the ferry to Arran would have been rocky. Hope your recovery will go well.

leejaa

supremo
Country
I hope your cellulitis resolves. It was good you knew the signs and could call doctor and get medication. Keep elevating and icing.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Glad to hear your cellulitus responded well to the antibiotics.
Hope you are finding,amidst all these post surgical aggravations, that your new hip got rid of that horrid bone crunching pain and that with slow, steady progress...you will be back to a healthy life.
Keep the faith, friend.
Healing hugs.

Fit4Family

post-grad
Country
@Lilli215 Glad to hear the antibiotics are doing their job in there. I hope this is the last of your recovery detours and that your recovery is smooth sailing from here on out. Sending healing wishes your way. :flwrysmile:

OP
OP
L

Lilli215

senior
Country
So here I am nearly 3 weeks after surgery and am totally fed up. The cellulitis decided to stop improving last week and is just stuck- not any better not any worse!! On another course of antibiotics and got blood tests and swabs done on Friday with results back tomorrow. Leg still swollen from top to ankle- now here’s the funny thing- my foot and ankle on the infected leg has gone back to normal but my foot and ankle on other leg has started to swell- can anyone explain that one????? So was kind of hoping to be seeing improvement all round and it just isn’t happening. Didn’t have any of these problems with the two knees:sad::sad:

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
@Lilli215 so sorry you are struggling with this recovery. Ice as much as you can in the areas that are swelling. Elevate as well. Three weeks out is still very early days (not what you want to hear I know). Hang in there!

OP
OP
L

Lilli215

senior
Country
Week 5 (nearly) and the cabin fever has hit with a vengeance!!! Getting fed up being stuck inside but the weather is so bad in Scotland just now that going out anywhere is a bit of a no no. Recovery is going quite well, the cellulitis is on the mend and the swelling isn’t as bad as it was. Am able to help hubby with the cooking and ironing etc but oh boy do I just want to be able to be back to normal. Think my problem is I can see the light at the end of the tunnel but just want to be there yesterday and am afraid patience is def not one of my virtues!!! Sleeping has been a problem for last couple of weeks so tiredness isn’t helping my irritability , roll on springtime :groan:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
thienthuy21403
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom