TKR Diney's got another new knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: TKR week four question

Hooray! I climbed up on my bike this morning and after a bit of rocking tried very carefully to go all the way round backwards. It did hurt a bit but suddenly I was round.

:yahoo: Woohoo!! :yahoo:
 
Re: TKR week four question

Congratulations on that first rotation on the bike!!! That moment has brought many a BoneSmartie to tears of joy. It is a HUGE milestone. Keep up the great work.
 
Re: TKR week four question

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I'll take biker chick as a cool handle anyday!
 
Re: TKR week four question

Yay, Diane! It didn't take you long to make buying that bike worthwhile! Congratulations! I know just how good that feels! :thumb: And it seems to me from reading your posts that you know just how much to do and when it is time to rest! Great job!
Niki
 
Re: TKR week four question

For me week seven has been a turning point. I caught a train on Sunday to visit my daughter in London. This involved lots of stairs and changing platforms and a big step down onto the platform. I carried a stick with me but didn't need it. I have been driving every day and running errands and can now do 15 minutes on the exercise bike.I feel less tired and the knee is less stiff and swollen.
I'm still resting and elevating and icing and trying to keep the balance.
Just thought I would post as encouragement because I was beginning to get a bit frustrated at the end of week six that things were moving so slowly!
 
Re: TKR week four question

Hi, Diane - I'm just starting week 7 and it seems pretty good, too.

Great story about visiting your daughter! We did four trips to Great Britain in the 1980s and I can remember so vividly the first trip in 1980, when we schlepped our bags through Heathrow and onto the Underground to get to our hotel near Victoria Station. We had to change lines somewhere midway and I could not believe how many stairs were involved! It was really warm that day and I thought I was going to die (I was 25 years old at the time and we were too poor to take a cab but thrilled to be there). Good times, good times....
 
Re: TKR week four question

Diane, I am impressed; driving, biking, stairs, trains! Sounds like week seven has been a good one for you. Any limping or has that gone away also? As you know, I am a week or so behind you and look forward to yourupdates so I can see what is coming for me. I can hardly wait to be where you are. Great work, keep up the great progress, bob
 
Re: TKR week four question

Well a bit of a setback for me today and just want to ask if anyone else has had this. I'm just over 8 weeks now and have generally been doing more shopping, walking and driving with no problem except a little swelling and stiffness.

Today was probably a little ambitious as I took a train to London and had to stand for 30minutes of the 45 minute journey. That bit wasn't too bad. I then took a cab to meet a coach for a training session around the Olympic site. I was mostly sitting on the coach taking notes but tthere were wo stops where we got off and walked a small distance.

We finished at midday and then while walking back through the shopping mall to the station my knee really started to hurt with a sharpish pain just right of centre on the outside edge. Climbing stairs didn't seem to be a problem but on the flat I really had to slow down and was grateful that I had decided to take my stick at the las minute.can you still get this sort of sharp pain at this stage? I'm home now icing and resting and hope it's nothing worse than just overdoing it too soon.
 
Re: TKR week four question

Diane,

You really aren't that far into recovery yet. I would say that your pain is probably from overdoing things. And you will continue to get strange pains and funny feelings for quite some time yet. Hang in since you have been doing so well I think you may tend to do to much ate one time. JMHO, I am not the expert but at 6mos I still get a weird pain here and there that is nothing to worry about,
 
Re: TKR week four question

Ouch! I remember the days of missing or not having a booster seat. I was so happy when I did not need a booster seat(we say elevated toilet seat) but I like booster seat much better. Sounds like overall you are doing great. Recovery just seems to take a long time.
 
Re: TKR week four question

Diane,
That sounds like A LOT to have undertaken at 8 weeks out! I think what you're experiencing is the "uh oh, I overdid it" kind of aches, pains, and swelling. It may take you a few days to recover. Ice and elevation are still your best friends at 8 weeks! :biggrin: Niki
 
Re: TKR week four question

Hi, Diane -

Our uncanny "twin" thing continues! It sounds like you overdid it. and so did I on my first day at work yesterday. In fact, I had a somewhat sharp pain on the inside of my knee during the night, requiring to grab an Aleve and use ice for the first time at night in a couple of weeks.

The good news is that today was much better at work and I had more energy. Baby steps every day....

It sounds like you had a very interesting day, though, getting to hear about the Olympic site. Won't it be great when you can do something like that and the last thing on your mind will be your knees?
 
Re: TKR week four question

I have had a similar experience - I'm a week behind you and I started walking my dogs more regularly 2 weeks ago.

Anyway I built up to about an hour of ambling round the woods then after 3 or 4 walks I got a sharp pain to the right of my knee. It was quite painful but eased after a while. I gave myself a day off walking; the pain was still there for a couple more walks but now has largely gone.

I asked the physio about it at my gym session and he got technical about how the knee fits together and said it was just everything settling down and healing and not to worry, just rest and stretch.

So I shouldn't worry about it. I think it's quite reasonable to have a really tiring day as long as you realise that you'll pay for it and make sure you follow it with a few quiet ones.
 
Re: TKR week four question

Josephine, what repercussions might Diane have had apart from discomfort? I thought that once the wound had healed you couldn't do any real damage to the new knee?

I'm worried now because I've been really busy but usually a bit of a rest settles everything down again - but if I might have done some serious damage maybe I should calm down a bit .............

What did you think of Warhorse by the way?
 
Re: TKR week four question

Hi Diane, sorry to hear of the pain and trust that it was from a bit of overuse. Rest, ice and elevate and I think you will see improvement. By the way, I see from your post that you "met with a coach and then mostly sat on the coach while taking notes.". Didn't he object? Ha! Have a good day, b
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom