TKR Diney's got another new knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: TKR week four question

Having had a LTKR 2 years ago, I agree that there is still some progress to be made after the 6 month point, BUT I think we would all agree that is absolutely vital to get the knee moving well as soon as possible and to keep everything moving and flexing as the knee goes through the healing process to achieve the very best outcome. Otherwise the knee movement will be restricted by scar tissue. My friend had seriously damaged his knee in a fall, and was in plaster for a while after surgery. I believe that the 6 month target he was given related to the major part of the healing process.
Jill
RTKR October 2011
LTKR October 2009
 
Re: TKR week four question

Sorry your knee is reluctant to go out much today but I am sure that the rest with icing/elevating will bring some relief. What an interesting job you have, it sounds fascinating to learn the details necessary to guide a tour and then take a group of strangers out and share the knowledge. I would love to do something like that. I always thought being a tour guide taking a group of tourists on a coach tour of Europe would be a great job at some point.

I plan on returning to work in January as that will give me time to make my knee comfortable sitting on an airplane or a few hours. I retired after a career in federal law enforcement and continue to travel around the US training officers. It is a great job, I travel often but set my own schedule and get to go interesting places and meet great people. A perfect retirement job. During ski season, although not this year, I will make sure I hit the western states so I can add a few days of skiing and during the summer I plan trips around interesting hiking locales. Not bad work.......take care, rest your knee
 
Re: TKR week four question

My knee does seem to have a life of its own. Today I have had a burning sensation across the surface area as well as a few twinges. After only taking paracetamol and ibuprofen for the last few days I resorted to co-codamol at lunchtime. I drove myself to church this morning and walked a few 100yards to the door and then this afternoon I went for a walk round our village for about 25 minutes and a mile in total - the furthest I have walked so far. The knee held up but is aching now so I'm resting it.
B: your job sounds great and as you say perfect for retirement. The thing I love about mine is that I am always researching and learning new things for different tours and also like you I meet all sorts of interesting people.
 
Re: TKR week four question

Diane, you are only 7 weeks post-op which is very, very early. You really must expect to have aches, pains and other symptoms for a while yet - probably another 10 weeks or more. At 7 weeks I was only just venturing out of the house to the supermarket and even then I kept it short and sweet. Plus I was on the full whack of Tramadol and paracetamol for another 5 weeks yet! You are expecting far too much of that knee.
 
Re: TKR week four question

I had my RTNR done Nov 17/11. I didn't get much PT in the hospital as they didn't have enough staff to cover the weekend, and I was too weak to try and complete my exercises, only was able to do a few of them each day. When my PT came to my home Thursday to complete the exercises I was only getting 56 ROM, which she states is very low. I try to push my:cry: leg but the stiffness takes over. I am taking every 4 hours Tramadol which helps but when I do the exercises I still am in pain.

It sounds like if you got 90 ROM you are doing well. This is my first post so I am not sure if other people have had that low of ROM
 
Re: TKR week four question

My knee knows its own mind too - it thinks "where haven't I been hurting recently? That's where I'll hurt her today!" So at the moment it's on the very top above the kneecap - weird. But the pain is no longer serious, more aching and stiffness.

Diane, There was an article in yesterday's Telegraph about Blue Badges and the training - very interesting. I thought of you and wondered if you had done that - it sounds like a great job - depending on the weather of course!

Bowlingbun - I'm not far from Southampton. Lots of UK people report that they don't get physio, measurements taken, but I do - weekly physio in the gym. Maybe it's Hampshire policy.
 
Re: TKR week four question

I had my RTNR done Nov 17/11. I didn't get much PT in the hospital as they didn't have enough staff to cover the weekend, and I was too weak to try and complete my exercises, only was able to do a few of them each day. When my PT came to my home Thursday to complete the exercises I was only getting 56 ROM, which she states is very low. I try to push my:cry: leg but the stiffness takes over. I am taking every 4 hours Tramadol which helps but when I do the exercises I still am in pain.

It sounds like if you got 90 ROM you are doing well. This is my first post so I am not sure if other people have had that low of ROM

One of the easiest things to start with is to sit on a very high chair (I used my typist's chair which is height adjustable) and then gradually allow the leg to hang - it's tough at first, but the gentle stretching helps. Later on, just swinging it gently will also increase the movement. I used to write a magazine and spent ages sat in the chair with my legs tucked under the chair - OK, I know this isn't recommended, but my first TKR bends to 130 degrees without any effort! My PT suggested I bought an exercise ball. To start with I had to put my heels on the ball and then gradually roll it towards me - big advantage of this is that the full weight of the leg isn't on the knee. Jill
LTKR Oct 2009
RTKR October 2011
 
Re: TKR week four question

Thanks Josephine. I know! It's just that I haven't had much regular pain at all up to now other than the tight feeling caused by the swelling and some muscle aches. it has been a bit of a surprise to get actual pain in the knee. I will keep on top of the medication.
Blueberry: you are only just a week out of hospital and everyone is different. I think Josephine will tell you that the most important thing at this stage is rest, elevation, ice and meds. Gentle heel slides at home are the key exercise at this stage.
 
Re: TKR week four question

Blueberry - your recovery is hardly started yet; you're not even 2 weeks in and most people here will agree that the first few weeks are pretty grim. Don't worry too too much about your ROM, we all find doing exercises really hard so soon after surgery when your leg is stiff and swollen. It will get easier and then your knee will get more mobile.

You will get loads of support and informed advice here - everyone will help you.
 
Re: TKR week four question

Deeden
That's the course I took. The article in the Telegraph is spot on. It was lots of hard work but also lots of fun and plenty of time in the pub after lectures! I've made some great friends of fellow guides including a London cabbie and an actress and a male model!
 
Re: TKR week four question

PS would I be right in thinking that you would say it is too early to book a few days away next week Josephine? I saw a great break quite near where I live involving mornings of singing, free afternoons and then an evening singing session.. Possibly a bit ambitious for seven weeks!
 
Re: TKR week four question

I agree Josephine was going to post it before; I’m 8 weeks tomorrow and I think we are trying to rush things reading a lot of others with new knees have to have patients I know I’m learning to its tough but with time we will learn about are new knee I just did my bike 10mins 10 later ice and rest there’s the pain twinges but it’s not the same hang in there and in time we all will see results with the help of many friends on this site:thumb::thumb:
 
Re: TKR week four question

I know this is late in the thread but maybe it will still help someone. I am 3 weeks out and have lived with the Aircast Cryo/Cuff IC. When I am sitting or resting this cuff is on my knee. The swelling has been minimal and I am one prone to swell pretty badly. They make the cuffs for all parts of the body, but for this thread the knee cuff is great!!!!!!! :thumb:
 
Re: TKR week four question

Diney,
Just FYI. I had my second surgery Oct 3rd and just returned from a few days away with my family. We stayed at a Motel. It was hard. The drive was 6 hours my Dr. told me to stop often to walk which we did even so my knee got stiff just sitting. It was hard not to have my conveniences of home. No toilet stool riser, no shower chair and not my own bed. Every place we went I had to stop and think about where I would sit and if I would be comfortable and be able to get up easily. I realized it was too soon for me to really enjoy myself. Just my experience. I will wait several months before trying that again.
 
Re: TKR week four question

I agree Josephine was going to post it before; I’m 8 weeks tomorrow and I think we are trying to rush things reading a lot of others with new knees have to have patients I know I’m learning to its tough but with time we will learn about are new knee I just did my bike 10mins 10 later ice and rest there’s the pain twinges but it’s not the same hang in there and in time we all will see results with the help of many friends on this site:thumb::thumb:

At eight weeks, I was on top of the world, as I was going to return to the classroom; I thought I was ready. clearly, I was not' dealt with swelling. stiffness, and soreness for quite some time. It really took a lot of energy to get through the school week, and it really slowed down my progress.

Just because we feel that we are ready to get on with our lives, doesn't mean it is so; our knees are in charge.
 
Re: TKR week four question

PS would I be right in thinking that you would say it is too early to book a few days away next week Josephine? I saw a great break quite near where I live involving mornings of singing, free afternoons and then an evening singing session.. Possibly a bit ambitious for seven weeks!

Yes, Diney....I think this is a bit too soon for something like a trip away. After all, you DO want to be able to enjoy an outing like that, don't you?? Right now, you need to put your knee first.
 
Re: TKR week four question

Diane, hope your knee felt better today and that a day of relative rest helped with the pain. Continue the resting today (Monday) and let us know how you are.
 
Re: TKR week four question

Much too ambitious!
[Bonesmart.org] Diney's got another new knee!
With the repercussions of your early return to work, if you can take a few days off, you should spend them resting!
 
Re: TKR week four question

Singing ........... hmmm, sounds like you'd be doing a lot of standing? I suppose if it's near home you could drop out if you got uncomfortable, but standing doesn't sound like a totally good idea at this stage.
 
Re: TKR week four question

I scrolled back and was reading some of the posting and to see some trying to go back to work after a short time I’m 8 weeks today still on one crutches can’t stand for a long time maybe 5-10 minutes then it gets stiff and sore have PT today I think to myself I’m behind I know every one body heals different plus my 7 other surgery’s with the scar tissues sets me back but we all wonder at times was it worth it sure we could stand the pain anymore now we wait to get on with the pain I guess I think too much and just hope for the best as we all do :what:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom