TKR Diney's got another new knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: TKR week four question

Just, have you seen your surgeon lately? What is his opinion on your progress? Did you have a straight forward surgery or was it complicated in some way? Like, were those 'other surgeries' from an accident or something?
 
Re: TKR week four question

Hi Josephine. I saw my doctor a month after my surgery Oct3 2001 and he just said he did his part, now it’s up to me and PT. I know he told me because of the past surgeries as the PT did too. I have a lot of scar tissue and need to break that up. I go to PT today but I look at some others where they go for walks and back to work. I know we all heal differently and have different injuries. I did mine playing sports have a lot of scars plus the new one but like I’ve seen in the library and some postings, it takes almost a year so that’s why I’m a little confused as some get back so soon. I’m in good shape other than my knee, was always active and never sat around. I’m still taking my voicdin 1 tablet every 3 hours :scratch:
 
Re: TKR week four question

Thanks everyone for responding to me. You are right I am not two weeks yet but I was told at the hospital if you don't get the ROM you will be back in the hospital for another operation to remove some scar tissue to get the knee moving...I guess I worry about that. Also does anyone feel like crying most of the time.....

I have been reading BoneSmart for the past year, tried to prepare for the surgery but I really didn't expect the lack of moment in the knee..

My PT will be in this afternoon, so I will see if my knee has more ROM

Thanks again for you replies, as it sure helps when you know someone else has gone thru the same problems...
 
Re: TKR week four question

Crying? Like floods, can't stop, don't know why?

Oh yes! And loads of others will tell you the same.

One physio told me that the first two weeks were critical to get the ROM. He was so wrong! My ROM has improved faster as time passes. You can't expect your knee to bend and straighten when there is swelling and pain getting in the way. Listen to the people on here who will tell you not to rush it. Patience is the key - it's hard because we all just want to get up and go as soon as we can but it will be worth it in the end.
 
Re: TKR week four question

Blueberry.....Those crying jags and feeling lots of emotion come along with the surgery itself and the pain medications you take afterwards. It will pass. You really must keep in mind that this is a fairly lengthy recovery in most cases. It's not weeks....it's months. Granted, you make progress as you go along, but you need to think in terms of 3-6 months before you can really resume activity without hurting or feeling very, very tired.

At 2 weeks out, you most likely have swelling that is inhibiting your ROM. So DON'T PUSH YOURSELF (or let the therapist do it)!!! This is the time for gentle stretches and bending, some walking from room to room with your walker or crutches and nothing more in terms of exercise. When you are not doing these gentle movements, keep your knee elevated and iced. Stay on your pain meds throughout the day and night. This process really does work.

Oh...and at 2 weeks if you are only being prescribed Tramadol, that does not seem to me to be enough medication to keep pain at bay. You might want to contact your surgeon and have him give you something else. As you become more active and with the therapy, you NEED proper pain management.
 
Re: TKR week four question

I have a lot of scar tissue and need to break that up. I go to PT today but I look at some others where they go for walks and back to work. I know we all heal differently and have different injuries.... but like I’ve seen in the library and some postings, it takes almost a year so that’s why I’m a little confused as some get back so soon.
Well, if they are people you see at the PT's office, you don't really know what surgery they've had, nor what their history is. It makes a big difference does that. But don't ever compare your recovery to anyone else's. Everyone's journey is different.
Also does anyone feel like crying most of the time
It's a very normal reaction to what you've been through - read this Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Also, you please be a dear and put your surgery date in your signature like the rest of us do?
You can find the instructions here How to create a signature.
 
Re: TKR week four question

Thanks Josephine I did read the Post op blues..it sure sounds like me. I also tried to post my surgery date in the signature but I have to have 4 posts before the computer will take the information.

I had my 42 staples out today but some of the scar opened up when the doctor removed them. Not a problem as they put the sterio strips on the effected areas.

My PT came yesterday she gave me other exercises to do and when she measured me I go 72 ROM.....I felt better. I am taking the advices from friends on this blog to rest, elevate and ice.
 
Re: TKR week four question

Goodbye staples! :yes 4: one of your first milestones...
 
Re: TKR week four question

There is no real hurry; just do the gentle stretches and exercises and such. This recovery from a TKR can take months and months and months---and, at a few weeks out, you are in the "dark ages" of recovery; don't sweat it, however. Just take it a day at a time and do not worry about progress

As long as you are doing your gentle stretches, exercises, etc, and icing/elevating/resting, you will do fine. the idea is to keep the surgical knee happy---it has undergone major trauma and will swell if you do too much.

Please be patient and work to fight the temptations to work too hard to recover and to obsess over where you are. You are not n charge; your knee is.

For what it is worth, my recovery went for five to six months before i really began to feel about 80%-85%. It wasn't until about eight months that I felt pretty close to normal.
 
Re: TKR week four question

Well my new exercise bike was delivered yesterday. It's got a nice big fat saddle and lots of programmes but my first introduction to it was working out how to climb aboard. Having managed that and with the saddle set at the highest level and the bike at least resistance I managed half a revolution backwards and forwards! I did this a few times and then stopped. Total time on bike about two minutes. This morning I had another session rocking for about four minutes. The sticking point doesn't seem to be in the middle of the knee but just below on the outside. This is where it starts to hurt if I try to take it further.
I'm off to see my OS at lunchtime today for my six week check up and I think I also get to see a Physio which will be interesting as I have no idea what my ROM is. I will report back later!
 
Re: TKR week four question

You are doing great---Rocking is fine---and, for some reason, going backwards is easier than going forwards. Just be persistent and gentle, and one day, you will be going around full circle!!
 
Re: TKR week four question

Good morning Diane, that's great about the bike, it will be nice to have that exercise tool at home for everyday use, especially with winter weather coming. Good luck at your check up today but sounds like everything going well for you. I had my first day of PT yesterday, he was gentle but knee was pained into the evening; just aching and couldn't find a comfortable position when sitting. Seems fine this morning however. Take care, b
 
Re: TKR week four question

Ive just got back from my check up. It's such a different approach from what happens to you in the States. The physio saw me first and looked at my knee and asked me to bend it. She said "That's good. We like anything over 90 at this stage". I asked her if she would measure me and she looked a bit surprised but agreed and said I was 104. She then talked to a group of us who had all come back for check ups with the same consultant and basically just told us to keep bending.
The consultant then had a quick look at us one by one and said everything seemed fine and that was it.
The good news is that I have been booked in for my left knee and have a date: February 24 and then it starts all over again!
B: that's good you have started PT and hope the pain holds off.
 
Re: TKR week four question

:yay: For the great check up and the date for your left knee!!

Have fun on your bike, mine has been great! Even if I am tired, I can get on there and rock back and forth. Feels good! Especially when you get it all the way around, such a sense of accomplishment! And backwards is much easier than forward, every time I get on I need to rock a little and backwards always comes first, then I can ride almost normally for a while.
 
Re: TKR week four question

Diane,
Great report! 104 is great at 6 weeks out. Having the bike at home will make things so much easier. I've been on the bike five times now (at PT) and still cannot get all the way around in either direction. The first time I got on last week, it looked so close to going over the top backwards that I thought for sure in another time or two I would be "riding" backward. But hasn't happened. With so much emphasis on ROM here in the States, by both OSs and PTs, it is hard not to get discouraged and frustrated. I think I like the UK plan much better!

Glad you got your date scheduled! You're on your way! Niki
 
Re: TKR week four question

Good luck for February. With a bit of luck we'll have another lovely spring and you can recuperate in the garden!

Your right knee should be pretty good by then, especially if you keep riding that bike!
 
Re: TKR week four question

Hi, Diney -

We could be twins! I'm six weeks out and my extension is 4 and gets to zero with a little PT help and my flexion is 104! I may also accelerate my left knee replacement and do it in February (depends on what my OS says this Friday).

I got to a full revolution on my bike last week. It happened in the forward direction, which is supposed to be harder. Don't be disappointed if you can't do it again the next day, which is what happened to me. I actually did five minutes total yesterday of full revolutions and am going to try and add a minute a day. By the way, I have to use a step stool to get on the blasted thing!
 
Re: TKR week four question

Hi everyone
Niki thanks for all the encouragement. I've just seen your post about walking so will go back and add a message to your thread. Brilliant!

Rubysue I agree we've go a lot in common! That's really helpful to see how you have been getting on with the bike. I'm sure it will be a great help with the second knee as well. I've just realised I can take the saddle a bit higher and still just about reach the pedals so hopefully the full revolution will come soon!
 
Re: TKR week four question

Hooray! I climbed up on my bike this morning and after a bit of rocking tried very carefully to go all the way round backwards. It did hurt a bit but suddenly I was round. I did a few slow revolutions and then tried forwards and that was ok too so I kept pedalling very slowly for four minutes. After a rest with ice and elevation I then walked into our village which is about half a mile and bought some cheese in the deli and had a cup of coffee and then bought my Christmas stamps in the Post Office and walked home. I spent the rest of the day resting and with a slightly protesting knee but it was worth it!
 
Re: TKR week four question

Congrats on getting the revolution! Glad you got out a bit and it sounds like you did the right thing to rest afterwards.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom