TKR Diney's got another new knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: TKR week four question

Deeden....it's true that you cannot do damage to the new joint, but you can really inflame the soft tissue and make yourself VERY miserable. Recovery can be delayed too if you keep yourself in constant pain and discomfort.
 
Re: TKR week four question

Oh, I see, Jamie ........... well, I'm not getting much pain so I guess I'm not overdoing it, but I will bear that in mind. I thought maybe I could damage the joint in some way I hadn't realised, so I'm glad that's not the case!
 
Re: TKR week four question

Nope....your new bionic knee is one tough puppy. You'd have to do something major like hit the dashboard in an automobile accident to do damage.
 
Re: TKR week four question

Some sudden sharp pains may come from the internal dissolvable stitches going "ping". This worried me with my first TKR, as I thought something serious was going on, but now I know what is causing the feeling I'm much happier. I had my TKR nine weeks ago, it's been interesting seeing how various parts of the knee have gradually slackened off. The last stitch to go was only this weekend - and now the skin just below my kneecap moves normally again. I always thought that these internal stitches were supposed to dissolve quickly, but mine don't. I had some after dental surgery some years ago, and they hung around for weeks too. Hope that reassures anyone with little sharp stabbing pains. Jill
 
Re: TKR week four question

:I-Agree: Diney you've overdone it!! We've all done it, take a few days to have some extra rest along with the ice and elevation and I'm sure you'll be fine! Keep us posted.:rolleyespink:
 
Re: TKR week four question

Hello everyone. Thanks for all your kind reassurance. Josephine you must despair sometimes. I know I was stupid to take a rush hour train and I am still paying the consequences.
I did rest a lot the next day but I had weekend commitments I had to honour including a long day yesterday with a family party for my nephew who is emigrating to New Zealand.
The knee is really letting me know it doesn't like to be messed around and I feel I have definitely slowed my progress. It's tender to walk on and very achey still with intermittent stronger pain.
I have really learnt my lesson and intend to take it very easy at least for the next few days.
I'm just wondering what I should do, if anything, in the way of movement. Gentle stretches and little walks? I haven't done the exercise bike since Thursday.
From a repentant and glum kneebie!
 
Re: TKR week four question

Hi Diney,

We've all done this and of course with Christmas almost here there is loads going on socially. You never know if you've done too much until your knee tells you and this is always after the event!

I think I would rest up at home for a couple of days, just pottering around the house and using ice and elevating and pain medication, I can't see the point in having pain if you can get rid of it. I think I would use my bike, but only for a couple of minutes just to bend the knee. I find that when my knee is swollen a few bends make it feel better, maybe it spreads out the fluid in the tissues?

You'll be fine.
 
Re: TKR week four question

repentant and glum kneebie..........

Never mind - a bit of ice, pain-killers, rest and you'll be a happy, bouncing kneebie again!
 
Re: TKR week four question

The "Biker Chick" needn't be glum! Repentant perhaps but not glum:th_heehee: This is a minor set back when viewed within the larger picture; you were excited and thought your activities were possible. Relax, go back to the basics for a few days and you will be good once again. If you can ake it easy now, your Christmas will be pain and anxiety free, b
 
Re: TKR week four question

Oh Diane, you know I only get shrill because I care so much about all of you and just want you to have as easy a recovery as possible. When you hurt, I hurt - truly! And yes, gentle stretches gentle heel slides and little walks are the order of the day. Let your knee be the boss!
 
Re: TKR week four question

I am 62 years old and had TKR on the right knee October 20, 2011. My recovery has gone relative well with the expected amount of pain. I had in home theraphy 3 times a week that helped me so much.
My knee has relatively little pain now but I am experiencing pain down from my right hip bone along the outside of my right calf to my ankle bone. My surgeon says this is normal and it will disappear in a couple of months,
I think it can be attributed to the tourniquet used during surgery. The surgeon says once it is applied it is not released until the surgery is complete. He said, if I did not misunderstand him, that 300 lbs of pressure is applied. I did not see the device but he says it looks like a large blood pressure cuff.
My wife is a nurse and she stayed with me constantly. I owe my good recovery primarily to the LORD and my loving wife.
Hope you feel better.
 
Re: TKR week four question

Well, I wouldn't exactly call it normal and nor would I attribute it to the tourniquet, certainly not after 8 weeks. Tourniquet pain is usually confined to the place under the tourniquet cuff and usually lasts for about 1-2 weeks.

I would suggest that your pain is more likely Ilio-Tibial (ITB) Band Information and could be eased by getting some remedial massage from a PT, chiropractor, osteopath or remedial massage therapist.
 
Re: TKR week four question

Happy Christmas everyone!
I hope you and all your knees have a restful lovely time.
Here's to a Happy New Year with more skipping and dancing!

Diane
 
Re: TKR week four question

Merry Christmas to you Diane, how is your knee? Has it calmed down and been less painful over the last week? Take care and have a great holiday season, b
 
Re: TKR week four question

Hi B
Thanks for the message!
I have been resting more and I did think the knee was getting better but what with Christmas food shopping and general running around it has got a bit painful again.
I think I can step down now as daughter and son in law have arrived and hope that things will improve soon!
How are you doing now?
 
Re: TKR week four question

Merry Christmas, I am doing well, thanks for asking. We had Christmas Eve with sister in law family (3 young children) which was fun; had a good dinner followed by church. Today we drove a couple hours and took my dad out to lunch. The knee is coming along but I can certainly tell when I do too much as it aches a bit more that evening. Went for a 1.5 mile walk around a local lake and that caused a bit of soreness but not terribly so. I must be improving as I am out shopping for a new kayak! Would be nice to be out on the water. I am looking for a more knee friendly activity as I think the new knee may rule out continued paragliding, oh well.

Are you using your exercise bike? Still helpful for the stiffness? When are you looking at returning to work? Any timeline for that yet? Take care, b
 
Re: TKR week four question

Paragliding? That would be a first!
 
Re: TKR week four question

Just reporting in to say I have been offered a cancellation and am going to have the second knee replaced on Friday! I'm not looking forward to it but know it will bring the full recovery time forward by six weeks. My first new knee will be exactly three months old.

You will like this Josephine - the pre-admission nurse said I would have to take it extra easy for the first few weeks so that I didn't delay recovery of the first knee! And she didn't think much of trying to go back to work even at 12 weeks.

Thankfully the first knee is now feeling a little better and stronger.

On another note I had to take my mum to A&E today because her knee was so painful she couldn't stand up. She had it replaced 18 months ago and it has been fine until now. They diagnosed an effusion under the knee cap with some possible internal bleeding and sent her home with over the counter anti inflammatories and pain killers and a walking aid.
Is that unusual after so long? They said the blood tests showed no sign of infection.One of the nurses said she could still be healing.
 
Re: TKR week four question

Diney....I'm so glad you'll have your surgery sooner. That gets you on down recovery road sooner.

I'm sorry to hear about your mom's knee. Jo's going to have to answer your question and she is on vacation for a few days. I'm going to tag her, though, so that she sees your question first thing when she returns. @Josephine:
 
Re: TKR week four question

Best of luck on Friday, Diney! At least you have a good idea of what's facing you this time, which will, hopefully, make recovery a little easier.

Also much better to have it done now before Spring starts - you'll be out and about when the weather improves.

Let us know how it goes.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom