Guest viewing is limited

Depression/post-op blues - open for all

Ever have a "one step back" day? I'm having one... nothing is different, nothing is better, but nothing is worse that I can tell. I'm.... hmm... discouraged? I don't have anyone close that I can compare progress with, except myself. Where should I be at the end of day 7? Is there a schedule? I know, everyone's different... still, and especially when I'm doing this pretty much alone, it's tough.
 
Very early days for you @CynthiaM ! Please go back to your recovery thread and read the articles Jamie left you on how long does healing take and the chart representation of recovery. There is no set timeline for this process. Literally every recovery is different - even on the same person.

Keep posting on your thread. It's good to look back and see just how far you have come. And don't forget, the post op blues are all a part of this journey. They will ease soon.
 
The victories are small, but they are victories, nonetheless! I have to go back to work on Monday 6/12, not sure how I'll feel by then. But the bank account is already stretched thin...
 
Did I read right? Are you trying to go back to work 12 days out of major surgery?

If I did read right I would urge you to reconsider. You are a long way off from the mobility you need to have for a return to work. Then there is the energy drain. Your bank account may be stretched but you may seriously impact your recovery trying to go back so soon. Perhaps share with article with your work Phased return to work The recommended time off work is 8-12 weeks and then a phased return.
 
Jaycey, I totally understand the timeline, however there's this thing called a roof over my head, that I kind of like! Bills needs to be paid. I sit at a computer all day, however the company is very pro-active in making sure there are frequent stretch breaks, and I have a desk that converts from a sit to a stand desk. If I had the time, I'd take it, but... it is what it is! This was an anterior surgery, btw... and not the first surgery I've had. Went back to work a week after my cancer surgery, and a week after foot surgery. I'm a pretty tough old gal.
 
I sit at a computer all day
Two challenges - 1) sitting for any length of time for a new hippie can be difficult and 2) many people find it hard to concentrate just post op.

Will you be able to ice and elevate at any time during the day? How will you get to work? Surely you have not been released to drive this early out?
 
I have a visit with the doc on Friday, he'll remove staples (allergic to the adhesives in the surgical tapes) and he will probably clear me to drive. (He has several photos in his office of patients who, at 3 or 4 weeks, were back to hiking in the mountains.) Nothing more than to work, or down the road to the grocery store, I'm sure, but in previous visits, he indicated many of his patients drive at 2 weeks, the condition being that they are not on narcotics! I take one before bed, but just regular tylenol during the day. Car is an SUV that is very easy to get in/out. I don't think there's any real brain fuzzies going on, my concentration is good. And I rarely ice right now as it is. But no problem doing that at work, either. It's a very casual environment, I'm not under any sort of quota. It's a ministry, lots of grace when dealing with things like this! I will respond to any pain, but there just isn't a whole lot, as long as I take the tylenol as scheduled.

The anterior replacement technique is totally different in recovery from the posterior technique, as I'm sure you know. I had a friend who had the posterior replacement, she was in agony for weeks afterwards!

I'm bored as can be. I think I'll finish some sewing projects today....
 
The anterior replacement technique is totally different in recovery from the posterior technique
For some. But these days most all approaches are restriction free. It's all about how an individual reacts to surgery. We have had plenty of members who had anterior approach and were in agony.

Sewing projects sounds like a plan - have a great day!
 
@CynthiaM Hon I am so sorry I just saw this....thank you I'm less than 3 weeks from no restriction I am good now

I do want to add if you need to go back to work do GRACE is a wonderful blessing others will help you....ice, rest....maybe ask for rides.... I'm around off and on my FIL is passing and thus off much but I'll be checking in on you... you're not alone.... I'm here for you and others are too ... Hugs
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Aussie, so sorry about your FIL... {{{hugs}}}

Yesterday all told, probably walked about a quarter mile. Not much in the normal person's view, but I'm happy with it!
 
At this early stage, that is alot of walking. I just posted about my last five weeks of recovery and I truly think the second was the toughest. Depression and I felt better but not, then I worried about work and then I started overdoing. I want this replacement to last for 25-30 years so I want to give my body time to get used to it, fix itself up around it, and heal!!
Don't want them to have to go back in because of complications especially from overdoing it.
BTW, or underdoing it...not icing often, not elevating. I get the financial thing, I'm I'm the same boat but we don't want you to have any setbacks. You Can go back and look at people's history in the threads that are older including mine. That would probably be helpful
 
So much for good progress... I'm doing ok, but have been dealing with my elderly father in ICU due to a car wreck. He lost control and hit a tree. I think it's time for "the talk." *sigh*
 
Oh my, Cynthia. Hope he'll be ok. My father is about to be there himself and he very much identifies being able to drive work his independence. Sorry all this happens at one time. Watch wishes...
 
Warm wishes...DAC!!!
 
While I'm not dealing with post-op blues... I'm dealing with my dad in the hospital. He's in very rough shape, and he will never be the same, IF he makes it out of the hospital to rehab. Good thing I was still off work yesterday, I spent most of the day on the phone with the hospital, potential care facilities, social worker... the list is endless. I dread having to go clean out his condo. While he is a neat and tidy man, he had his own business for years, and the closets are filled to the brim with stuff from his shop - boxes of stuff no one will ever use. Lots of ebay listings, I suppose....

The thought of losing my rock is unbearable.
 
@CynthiaM I am so sorry you are dealing with this. It's hard enough when parents are ill. But watching them decline and lose their independence it's doubly hard. Only advice I can offer is try not to think too far ahead. Day to day and if that is too stressful, moment to moment.

I do hope your Dad is comfortable. Sending you positive vibes as you move forward with this.
 
Hope all goes well... So hard I know. My dad is my rock also
 
@CynthiaM I got to spend a couple of weeks with my father last May (2016) just before he passed. We nearly lost him, but he improved enough to get moved to a long term care facility.
When he found out it would be several months before he could return home to his beloved computer, he quit fighting. I had just returned home and to work for one day when I got that call.
So, one year ago our family was exactly where you are now except I did not have recovery going on.
Concern about parents is natural and understandable so use your time walking or doing PT to be positive and think of all the good times you shared.
And don't watch any sad movies unless you have an endless supply of tears. I speak from experience. I already know I have a good cry stored up, it happened after my last surgery watching a movie. So it will probably happen again. But it is better to let it out than to keep it in.
 
Thank you, Dougie... Dad was released to a rehab, and my niece/his granddaughter will be there tomorrow for a few days. She can bring him clean clothes and his favorite robe, I know that'll help. Im thinking he may like a tablet as well so he can catch up on email, and I will give him my amazon password so he can watch movies. It's a hard time. As soon as i feel able to make the trip - 5 hour flight - i will go, but it'll be a few weeks yet.
 
@CynthiaM .. I am still at pre-op stage (July 11th LTHR Posterior) and one of the hardest things about the upcoming surgery/recovery is my Dad.

He is 84 with advanced Parkinson's and is bed ridden (he has also broken his hip twice in the last two years). It seemed as though he was doing well when I last visited him in April; however, he has been in and out of the hospital with breathing issues since then. Fortunately, he has full-time care at his home (which, like yourself, is a five hour plane journey for me).

On account of this, I am still struggling with whether or not to go ahead with the surgery or wait until the inevitable happens. I am at the stage where walking is a real struggle, as are other daily activities. I thought (and hopefully I am right) that I should try to get the surgery over with as soon as I could so that I can fully be there for him. I am scheduled to return home to be with him in mid-September.

One of my biggest fears is that something onerous will happen to my Dad while I am in recovery and I will not be able to be there. That would be devastating for me, so I completely understand what you are feeling and going through with your father at the moment.

I send you, and your father, my best thoughts!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom