Depression/post-op blues - open for all

I am also taking care of my 91 year husband old dad. Tomorrow I have to take him for a MI(magnetic imaging). I was seriously worried about getting him in And out of car and into the MI office. I am only 4 weeks out of my own LTHR. I decided to hire a care giver to go with me. He will be helping my Dad with all of his movements. Big problem is my Dad has serious demntia and can't understand or remember anything. I think he will be very scared, but I cannot risk him leaning on me, not can I go into the MI room with him due to radiation.

@SoCalMom ... I hope all goes well for you tomorrow! My Dad has Parkinson's dementia, so I can totally understand what you must be experiencing. Indeed, I have had to postpone my LTHR for another 6 weeks due to a setback with my Dad.

Sending you good thoughts for tomorrow!

Lerwick8, thanks for your thoughts. Yesterday went remarkably well, the hired caregiver was right there when I went to pick up my Dad. He was really helpful. My Dad was having a good day and didn't get too upset about the imaging that needed to be done. He has wandered outside and fallen twice in the last few months so I was really worried about him. He is going downhill fast.

@SoCalMom ..I am glad that things went well today. My dad has fallen and broken his hip twice in the last two years. The first time, he was in a short-term rehab facility and developed an infection from the catheter. I kept telling the care staff that he was urinating a lot of blood, but they ignored me.

He ended up with sepsis and was in the ICU for 6 weeks! We really did not think that he would survive that, but he fought hard and recovered!

5 days post-op and surprised to find myself in floods of tears today, even though things seem to be going well. I was a bit traumatised yesterday to see my ankle swell twice the size, but reading on this forum calmed me down, how wonderful to talk to others who have been here!

I always said my worse week was week 2. Seems like week one is blur... But kind of exhilarating.
Week 2 reality sets in along with nerves... And really hypersensitive emotions.
We've been there. Your body has been through trauma and sometimes a good cry is needed...
Hope you are gonna have a good day.

Yes feeling better now seems like my body just realised what had happened and went into shock! 2 weeks today and still have wobbly days, but mostly looking forward now to walking without crutches.

@Morningjoy ...be good to yourself! I have read that this is totally normal (although I had/have the pre-op blues too:sad:

You are not alone and have a lot of support here on Bone Smart!

I'm 47 and three and a half weeks out of double hip replacement surgery. Thank you Josephine for starting this topic. The post-op struggle is so real. I was in the hospital for three days and then went into a rehab home for about 8 days. I'm so glad I went to the rehab home. No matter who you have at home with you, at least at rehab you're being handed food, medicines, ice, compassion, PT, OT like clock work. Although, I did start getting really down being in there on about day 6. I think I just got home sick. But, the feeling alone and down has continued. I mean not one family member or friend could ever really know all that I've been through and am still going through, right now. It's the pain, the shock of what the wounds look like and how tears run down my face every single time I look at both of them, the insane constipation, the vision of big scarring on both fronts of my hips. For me, it's also the single parent not being able to work right now part, the never ending kid issues, my non-existent holiday that came and went, and who knows what else. I mean you all know how much emotional, physical, and psychological strength this challenging journey takes. What has helped me a lot, is keeping my eye on the prize...of ending the years and years of bad pain, getting my whole life back, and the thought of dancing in the streets with my new young hips. What also has saved me, is my hospital, the doctor and his nurses. They have an on-line program where I can message my surgeon's nurses anytime with any questions or concerns and get immediate messages back. The nurse has also asked for pictures of my wounds out of concern of something I mentioned, and went over things with the doctor, before messaging me back. It helps to know they are there and very easy to reach for anything. I'm grateful to know you other hippers are here too!

1nan These first weeks are the hardest...I feel all that... The constipation issue makes all of it even worse. We bilaterals are tough cookie though so know you are probably through the worse part. Don't despair. Hey, I was shocked over those incisions too. Might make you feel some better if you check out my hippie scars on that forum. I have them early on and at six weeks!!! Amazing improvement. I take vitamin C 1000 every day... Was not a vitamin person before... And feel like it has helped healing tremendously and kept me from getting sick as I am around my sister's children alot who constantly have colds, etc.
Glad you feel like you are getting good care but hospitals can make you feel like you are still 'infirmed' and they can't just let you get up and wander all over do the scenery has to get old and add to your depression. You also need Vitamin D therapy...as in OUTSIDE. Do they let you go out. Birds, sky, fresh air... Does your mood wonders!!! A single hummingbird feeder got me out of my funk at times.
How much longer will you be there?
It is going to get good very soon, my double hippie friend! Hang in there!

@1nan I had two sequential thrs and spent the past couple of years either in anticipation or recovery. These are big surgeries and can have a huge impact on us not to mention the lengthy time in pre op pain many here endured. Takes a bit of time to transition back to normal life. You've already done the hard part!

You have much to look forward to and the firsts are very exciting, walking w/o a limp, shopping w/o leaning on a cart, etc. Friends and family see the outside but don't always understand the emotional magnitude of getting major surgery esp one that affects mobility and independence.

As you improve and finish with the meds you will start to feel much better and brighter about your new future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much Mojo33 and Horseshoe for your kind replies! You've both made me feel better already :) I love the vitamin tips and the "walking w/o a limp, shopping w/o leaning on a cart" (Boy, can I relate, and I thought I was the only one that leaned on the carts!) I'm already out of the rehab home and at home with mostly one of my daughters around for me. Sometimes I don't get outside enough, but it does make a difference and feel good when I do. I finally have the in-home PT coming and she's a pretty great gal. (It was a bit of an issue getting it started for a while and that started a downward spiral) So, in-home PT is helping me feel more like I'm making progress again. And, I'm also finally getting an in-home nurse coming out to check on me. So, I'm glad about that too. Today, the need for me to work on my impatience really showed...I kept trying to walk faster and do little exercises faster thinking it will all be over faster and PT gave me a little pep talk about how I need to slow down in every way and let my body still recover from such a major surgery. That made me feel like every time I think I'm getting really close to the finish line, I'm reminded how far away I really am :( But, every day is a new day, I guess...some bad and some good...I'm hanging in there and appreciate my fellow hippies support/thoughts/advice!

@1nan recovery is all about ups and downs. Just take things slow and steady and yes, patience in large doses is prescribed. Your PT is right - there is no rushing this recovery. You'll get there!

@1nan Very strange too how sometimes when we slow down, the next thing we know we are exponentially better. Less than a month since your body received all that trauma. So one month from now I'm guessing you will be added at how far you've come.
Out bodies were beat down with pain before surgery and just need time to realize we actually did something good for it.
Don't compare yourself to others, that can be depressing. You are doing great!!!
Best wishes

Just read these posts about the post-op blues & realize that I need a good cry. Years of pre-THR issues had brought on long-term depression. Post-op adrenaline & my desire to 'get back to normal' mean that I've been pushing myself to recover quickly. I remind myself that I'm just 18 days post RTHR & life is (slowly) getting better.
Thank you BoneSmart contributors for sharing & caring.

That's right MarianC, and you get it. My first 8-10 days had that adrenaline fueled euphoria and determination.
Then I hit a wall, teary, worried, how long will this take. Will u ever be ok?
Literally 2 steps forward one step back at times.
This too shall pass...
And this site smoothed out the edges and helped every step of the way.
Hope you rest well.

Hey everyone! I'm depressed. Lol I don't like not one bit.
I'm 10 days post op of a LRTHR and I would think I was a Pro to this. Being a BILTHR for over 22yrs. Ok help lol I want to go back to work. Leave this house of very loving and helpful ppl. I'm just here being a fussy brat right now. Lol

Bioiniclove - hope things have eased a bit.
Cabin fever doesn't help or mood either.
Unfortunately it's been oppressively hot where I am.
Tomorrow is going to be a good day!

Sending positive vibes to all who are experiencing anxiety, depression, or just "this sucks" moodiness. My biggest issue is my anxiety. I am nearly 7 weeks post op LTHR. My anxiety stems from my sense that I am not healing fast enough. What I realized is you simply cannot set a timetable for yourself. Wishing I was walking pain free by now does not make it so. Hard lesson to stop comparing your situation to others. There will always be those who heal better and faster than you. And there will always be those who heal more slowly. Stick to your own life. Listen to your body. It is your best teacher.

Last edited by a moderator:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom