Depression/post-op blues - open for all

@Bioniclove Unfortunately depression and cabin fever are a part of this recovery. Just roll with it - it will ease.

@gwenc Many people experience post traumatic stress after surgery. I know I did. Post my first LTHR I was terrified of every little ache and pain. Change was very difficult for me as well. You have it right - your recovery is your own. Don't compare it and certainly don't beat yourself up for where you are. For some of us - it takes longer.
 
I really really wish you could too.
You will be able to enjoy your life again...
It's hard right now, I know.
 
Through all my various surgeries and such, I have faced this a lot. Most of my hobbies involve doing things with my legs. Last year, when I was in crutches for an extended time, i was still in school, so it wasn't as bad.

This year, with my replacement and additional surgery 5.5 weeks later, I was going bonkers. I would look lovingly at my canoe and think that maybe I could just go out for a bit. Would have been a terrible idea.

I guess the best way to combat both boredom and the blues for me was/is fishing. Not hardcore stuff, but trout fishing at a local lake. Reading helps me out a lot too.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I really, really, really, really wish I could ride my horse right now.
You'll get there! We have plenty of members who returned to riding post op. Just give yourself a bit of time.

Can you spend time with your horse during the wait? Animals can be great therapy during recovery.
 
Thanks all. I do spend time with our 5 horses every day. They live here on our property. Although my hubby is still doing the heavy work, I can groom, and I can walk them to and from the pasture. I can sweep the barn aisle. I can feed treats. Its just that riding has always been my stress relief. and now I can't its a little scary. As far as reading I must have read about 20 books since surgery. I do have a full time job which I am lucky enough to do from home. I should stop whining. I just had to get it out and stop the pity party.
 
You're entitled to feel a bit constricted right now. This was major surgery and just over a month ago! But it's just temporary. You will be able to ride again soon. In the meantime, cherish those things you can do with your beloved horses and look forward to those riding days coming soon.
 
Thanks Jamie. Today is 7 weeks to the day. My doc said 10-12 weeks before I should ride, which I had planned on and I know it would be stupid to try and rush that. Its the depression/anxiety relief that is making me want to ride, not just riding for riding sake. Know what I mean? Anyhoo ...... I have something to look forward to which is I ordered a big heavy hand made wooden saddle rack, heavy enough for me to sit on in the saddle. I plan to do that soon. It will give me a taste.
 
@gwenc be very careful about lifting anything too heavy in these early days. Both my replaced hips did not like lifting for quite awhile.

At least you can spend time with your horses now. I find time with my donkeys totally therapeutic.
 
I won't be doing any heavy lifting. Hubby will bring the saddle rack in and put it together and place my saddle on it. I'll just be sitting on it. I am surprised at how comfortable that position is for me. I have "practiced" by sitting on the arm of an overstuffed sofa and it feels really good to me. Your donks are adorable, btw!
 
Did anyone get the anxiety and despression, fears of aches and pains LATER not just close to surgery but about 15 weeks out??? My sleep was better right after surgery than now

Granted we had a death in the family, we have bills piling up to the ceiling and I have a virus but ....still this stinks
 
As my avatar implies, I'm trying to be happy, but as someone with a life-long battle against depression, it's a rough row to hoe. My operative leg is too long, the pre-existing sciatica, IT band syndrome, and iliotibial tendonitis are still with me, and my energy level is pathetic. I had unrealistic expectations for my recovery period, I know. I knew that post-op depression was a thing (I'm a retired hospital orthopedic RN), but had hoped to somehow avoid it. Silly me.
 
Did anyone get the anxiety and despression, fears of aches and pains LATER not just close to surgery but about 15 weeks out??? My sleep was better right after surgery than now
Aussie girl, I am sooooo with you! Not sleeping, super anxious because the pain is getting worse instead of better. Things were not too bad right after surgery. Maybe my expectations were lower then??? I am constantly breaking into tears. My poor husband is trying to be supportive, but I can tell he is getting tired of my moping around. I don't blame him.
 
Wow so many of us feel alike.... I keep much of what I feel inside and now and then bring it up to hubby he's been good ... I don't cry.... I hide my mope but instead I am a mess
@gwenc this suxs
 
Wow so many of us feel alike.... I keep much of what I feel inside and now and then bring it up to hubby he's been good ... I don't cry.... I hide my mope but instead I am a mess
@gwenc this suxs
Take it from me - bottling up your anxiety will only make it grow. If you don't want to appear week or silly in front of hubby, take a short walk, outside, away from the house. Preferably in the woods if at all possible. Lean on a tree and let it all out. Cry, yell, stamp your (good) foot. Don't judge yourself. You have a right to be distressed in whatever way is natural for you. But do acknowledge your feelings. And know that there are many on this journey with you.
 
Spoke to my pain management doctor this morning. He told me he would prescribe Cymblata if I wanted. I am on the fence. I have so many side effects for various meds...not sure i want to add another. I am feeling a bit better. I think its related to my husband taking anither day off. So putting off the inevitable.
 
Cymbalta is an anti-depressant, right? I am not a doctor, but I would think that if your pain is under control you are less likely to need an anti-depressant. I spoke to my doc also, and he prescribed Tramadol for my pain, on an as needed basis. I will only take it when I have a bad day, like yesterday. Just knowing I have the option makes me feel less stressed out. Thankfully, today I am feeling better than yesterday after a good nights sleep.
Wishing you the best in your struggle to find a plan that works for you!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom