TKR Dem Dry Bones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Janae as much as it has been hard, Im so pleased i got mine done together i don't think I would have had the courage to go back for a 2nd, however saying that, because im only 49 I might have to have them done again in the future.
Its good to see that you are walking without too much pain .
As of today i am going to start walking further each day too so I can build up the strength and stamina again.
 
suzyblue, So far, today has been my best day since TKR. Not much pain, ice helps so much. For the first time since before surgery I unloaded the dishwasher. It took two hitches, but I got it done and I did not sit to do it! It has been years since I could stand long enough to do that. Stamina was why it took two hitches. Hopefully we will both gain more soon. Hubby will be so glad I did the dishwasher. He has been great, but I could tell around week 3 that he was ready for me to be back to household duties.

I hope you don't have to go through BTKR again. Do you know what type of knees you had implanted? My OS said what he used should last around 30 years. I sure hope so. What are the temps in New Zealand? Today has been 97 degrees F. So hot! I try to walk early of a morning and then with husband later of an evening. I use the cane when my husband is with me. When I walk alone I use the walker because I feel more secure. My PT told me when I use the walker to just push it like a shopping cart, not to lean into it to support me. Well take good care.
 
Minpins, Did you have your manipulation done today? I've been thinking about you and praying for you.
 
Janae, Im not sure what I got, they didn't really explain that part well but hopefully if i take good care of them they will last a bit longer, its only 50 degrees F here its winter and its been cold this week, I dying to have a nice hot bath but just not ready for that yet,
My husband was the same he was really good up until the 5th week and when he started seeing me do more he backed off a little, but now I'm making the evening meal loading and unloading the dishwasher I even vacuum cleaned the floors yesterday and did some easy reaching dusting Oh I even folded the washing. Im trying to get back to normal but not pushing it, I rest a lot too so all is good. I'm off the mall with my daughter today part of my job as an internal auditor is to walk around a big department store accessing their compliance standards so I thought I would see how far round the store I could get as I'm returning to work in four weeks time so sort of need to be ready.
It sounds like you are doing great too I have learnt every day is different so you have to take it one day at a time, I think all of us who have had joint replacements because a part from giving birth it is very hard and painful.
Have a great day. :flwrysmile:
 
Well done Suzyblue and Janae, you guys are sounding very positive. I went to the Knee gym session at the hospital gym today. Still getting some sharp pains, but had a go at some step ups and a few exercises I hadn't attempted before. Physio was encouraging. Achieved 122 degrees and 5 degrees, so some improvement... Hurts tonight though.....Ice, elevation, tramadol.... night night.
 
Hi Cyrano, its good that you are at least attempting to do the exercisers, its not easy but it will help in the end. I don't no what degrees I am at, the last time I was checked I was at 90, they just don't seem all that bothered about it here in NZ unless we are bothered about it. I had a busy day today, went for a walk around the mall and im a little sore so I think I will do the same tonight Ice, elevation, tramadol and out for the count.
 
Thanks for contact Suzy.... a bit sore today, lots of nerve endings trying to re-connect I feel.. Have a good sleep...
Everything feels different after a good sleep..
 
Cyrano, Sounds like you are doing amazing! It sounds like you are finding support at your knee gym. I guess everything we do is helping increase our stamina and recovery. (As long as we don't overdo.) Yesterday was the best day I have had since surgery. At night it is like the leg is filling with a heavy, tingly substance that even makes my toes tingle. Not sure what that is, but will sure be thankful when it lessens. Last night I did stay in bed all night (except for bathroom) that was the first time in a while. Do you go to your gym every day or do you do some physio at home?
 
Hi Janae yes had manip Thursday went well I guess he got like 138 lol but I don't fool myself now the rest is up to me. Very swollen and sore so ice,ice,ice and more ice with elevation. Am staying at my sisters where it is quiet and they are taking good care of me which is not what would happen at home so I'm going to take advantage. Very tired so I am just going to rest work on swelling. I hope this is a start to a better quality of life because my emotions have been so up and down, down being the key one! Well prayers and cheers I definitely could still use a lot of please? Thinking of all you bonesmarties, Paula :thankyou:
 
suzyblue, Your level of homemaking puts me to shame. I am very impressed at all you are doing, especially with BTKR! It sounds like you did pretty well at the mall. Did you use a cane? Do you have to start back full time in 4 weeks? I don't go back until late August. I am a parent educator with Parents As Teachers. I go into homes and work with encouraging parent and child interaction through developmental activities. Some of the homes have steep stairs without railings, those are difficult. I work part time and set my own schedule, so that is wonderful. My boss has had both a hi and knee replacement so she is very understanding. I feel very blessed.

My husband is wanting to visit our kids in St. Louis (4-5 hr. trip) this next week. My PT said It would be about 3 more months before I would be able to make that trip comfortably. I need to really consider if I should go or not. I love seeing my kids but I don't want a setback when I am just starting to feel better.

Hope your day is positive with no repercussions from your outing yesterday. Take good care.
 
Janae.. "Do you go to your gym every day or do you do some physio at home?"
No, I have only had two physiotherapy sessions in 5 weeks. One I paid for and then yesterday at the "knee club" at the hospital. I have a series of exercises to do, like we all do, but to be honest I am often in pain and just can't complete them.... I don't feel that I am doing at all well. The hospital knee club don't want to see me for another fortnight. A friend has lent me an exercise bike which I think will become more and more useful. This morning my wife dropped the seat and had a little play on it herself. I didn't notice and went on with the seat much too low. I expect "Suzyblue" heard me yell in New Zealand when I rather too energetically spun my knee into a rotation it had absolutely no chance of completing!! Since then there has been more icing and elevation than exercising.... Feels like an enormous hot tin can is where my knee used to be..
The PT was interesting, when I asked how I was doing, she said "That very much depends on what your ambition is. For some people it is enough to be able to walk to the kitchen and make a cup of tea... but others (like me) are desperate to be able to return to walking 18 holes of golf"
Janae, i understand how you feel about the prospect of travelling. My youngest daughter is pregnant with our first grandchild in Dublin, due in three weeks.... can't see mr getting there for a while... although weeks six through ten folk seem to be becoming a bit more comfortable. I am in awe that some of you guys have had both knees done, I feel such a whimp... but pain is pain, and seems all consuming.... until it goes away, and then.... well, then one must be very grateful...
Take care fellow May marvels, sleep tight, and don't forget to check the height of the exercise bike saddle !!
 
Janae, I am using a cane. My knee was very stiff yesterday at pt and I wasn't able to make a full revolution on the bike. I walk in pt stiff and uncomfortable and leave feeling like a million bucks!!! I also have exercises I do at home that the pt gave me a printout of. I went for a walk and I am always thinking heel toe, heel toe :SUNsmile: Have a wonderful day!
 
Really feel like I am doing well, but I have two questions. I had lost most all swelling from below the knee and in the past week I have done a lot more and taken a couple of day trips. I have started having swelling again clear down to the foot. Is that normal? I on the t is only in the TKR leg.

Also, I've noticed when I stand up I feel a 'clunk' in the knee that hurts and feels like it is rubbing against the front tissue. Is that normal and will it get better? I appreciate any input. Thanks so much.
 
Yes the clunks happen and take some getting used to. It does get better.

If you did a lot more, you will get more pain and/or inflammation and/or swelling.
 
Hi Janae. Glad things have gone well for you. The swelling is absolutely normal and related to your activity. I experienced it for quite a while with knee #1 when I over did it. At 4 months, it doesn't seem to balloon up anymore, Just a little tightness. However since I am recovering with #2, I am still not very active. Actually, when I was off my feet the first week after the 2nd surgery, my pain, swelling, and ROM all improved tremendously. I don't have clunking, but I know others do.
 
Yep.....both the swelling and the clunk are normal. It takes a while for these things to resolve in some folks, so you just have to be patient and try not to overdo the activity. It's a fine balance to determine how much is "just right." It sounds like you're doing just fine, though......keep up the great recovery!!
 
Thank you so much for the responses! It is such a comfort to know you are not alone and have the gift of all of the "been there, done that" experiences everyone shares.
 
I had a TLKR in May 13. I need a TLKR also. My left knee has 130 ROM and 0 extension. It is still painful getting up from a sitting position. I am scheduled for the TLKR on 9/23/13. My husband thinks I should wait until next May. My deductible is met for this year. I was doing great with recovery and then had an issue with afib so my dr pulled me off of arthritis meds and it has been miserable. I need to decide within a couple of days to go ahead or postpone the TRKR until next May. Please give me advice, I know a lot of you have had replacements close together. Are you glad or do you wish you would have waited more time between surgeries? I really appreciate your input. Thank you.
 
Purely IMO I say 'go'. Every day you delay is 24 more hours away from full recovery, yet another day in pain with another day to go.

Why does your husband want you to wait? If it's financial, forget it if you can. Money buys you time and since we only have limited time here it's often worth it.

As you will see from my sig, I had both done together, best decision!
 
Hi janae
My personal view is to go for it and have it done.
I had 6 months between my knees due to waiting time for an NHS appointment for knee 2. By the time I got to 6 months I had got my life back and was increasingly reluctant to start all over again.
I personally would have preferred to have them done closer together.
Good luck whatever you decide,
Toothfairy x :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom