TKR Dem Dry Bones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done Janae, a good night's sleep makes all the difference. A friend lent me an exercise bike which I had a go
on yesterday for the first time. My knee told me later that it hadn't enjoyed the experience !! And I am so tired...
Trying to cut down on the pain killers...still two steps forward and one step back sort of progress.. thinking of all you guys really helps. I have asked my doctor if he can arrange for me to attend a "knee club" physio at local hospital where post TKR patients work in gym. Not where I had my operation, but I would so value not feeling isolated..
 
. I have asked my doctor if he can arrange for me to attend a "knee club" physio at local hospital where post TKR patients work in gym. Not where I had my operation, but I would so value not feeling isolated..

Hi Cyrano we have a club here in New Zealand too I am starting it next week, I'm sure I will enjoy it a lot more especially working with people with the same problem.
 
Hi Cyrano we have a club here in New Zealand too I am starting it next week, I'm sure I will enjoy it a lot more especially working with people with the same problem.
Hi Suzyblue.... my primary aim to full recovery is to visit my daughter who lives in Christchurch, late December flight... good luck with your rehab..
 
Question for my fellow Marvels......Prior to my surgery when it rained my knee was sore. Now though when it rains I am in agony. Is anyone else having this issue?​
 
Cyrano, I really hope you get to join the "knee club" and have some much needed support. It is so hard to battle the isolated feeling while recovering, the days are so long. Surely you will be able to visit your daughter in December.

Kavan, I don't notice any difference with the rain, but I never have. I know a lot of people do. We have had a ridiculous amount of rain here in the Midwest this past week, it is pouring now! Hope you get better real soon.

I would like to know if anyone else is having fatigue while doing PT. I feel it is all I can do to get through each session and then I am absolutely exhausted. I did not have much stamina before surgery, I blamed it on pain. I also am having atrial fibrillation, so maybe that is part of it. I just want to feel 55 not 85 years old.
 
Hi Kavan, I was just wondering the same, It rained all day and I had painful knees all day and had a terrible sleep,the rain used to effect my knees before the op, I'm off to see my surgeon tomorrow so will see what she says and let you know.
 
Cyrano, that will be great to visit your daughter, we went to England last December to visit family but I had a terrible time as it was pre op and my knees were in a bad way we have family in Sunderland, but my son got married in Ireland so we went there as well so had to go. I can't wait to go on holiday again once I have recovered.
 
My OS changed my pain meds to Norco 5-325 ...1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours. I take 2 every 4 hours, it takes about an hour and 15 minutes for the pain to start to subside and that lasts about 2 hours. Today I did my exercises and some walking outside just around the yard and down the driveway..The pain was horrible and I still had almost 2 hours until the next dose. I called nurse at OS office and asked for the 10-325 I had been on. My hubby is on the way to get them now!!!! I have been able to stretch out the time between doses especially after bedtime. Last night I went to bed at 1138p and managed to fall asleep about 2am. I took my pain med at 1253p. I am increasing my walking and also the recumbent bike. I just rock back and forth and get good stretches. One day soon I hope to make a full revolution! It is taking me a long time to get my strength back due to the almost 3 months of having my knee immobilized in a brace and being in a wheelchair. It is so much better now! We had rain a couple days ago and it really doesn't bother my knee.
 
Lanie I'm glad you mentioned Narco and your reaction. At rehab I was on 1 Tylenol 3 every four hours. When I was released my script was changed to 1 Narco every six hours. I have observed a big upkick in my pain level and as you said the narco takes forever to kick in. I am going to call the OS in the morning and ask for a change pain meds as Narco just isn`t providing sufficient relief.
 
Oow bad night tonight, my fault.. A friend visited, we sat in the garden too long just sitting in garden chair, then went for walk. Walked too far, then went to pub and sat in the garden again..... didn't elevate anywhere near enough... Am now though 3am !! Can't take any pain killers for another two hours.... that will teach me...
 
Cyrano, Sorry it is a bad night. You did amazing to sit and walk as much as you did. Pretty sure I am not there yet. This is the third night in a row I have gone to bed, tried it for an hour and then got back in recliner with ice. I don't understand why nights are so hard. I have got to spend two nights in bed since being home from surgery.
I go back to OS on the 20th ( 1 month date). I am anxious to see what he says. I am thinking he will send me to outpatient therapy and I am nervous about that. Yesterday my ROM was 112 and extension was -2 so I was happy with that, I hope the doctor will be. I truly did not understand the reality of TKR recovery.
 
Cyrano, ohhh I feel for you. I haven't been sleeping well either. My extension is 0 and my ROM is 85 which after 3 different knee implants in the right knee is amazing for me. I never got the extension down until after this surgery and it worked! My Pt is so pleased. I used her after the 2nd knee implant and had over 6 months of pt .She has been through it all with me. Yesterday I was on the rocker board and my foot and ankle, and the knee were being stretched espescially the hamstring. I had to step off and get some water and then get back on. The outer edge of my foot on the operated leg hurt and also the bottom of my feet as well as the right ankle. I start off on the recumbent bike for 10 minutes and then the treadmill for 15 min, so far I am up to 1.5 mph! Learning to walk again correctly and getting the knee working again will be a long process.After the rocker board I did the mat exercises and rocking back and forth sitting on a large ball to stretch the knee. I am tight like a rubber band in my leg and knee when I first get to pt and then I leave feeling like a million bucks! My primary dr. prescribed neurotin to take at bedtime and in the morning. He was concerned that I wasn't getting sleep. Today I got home and went straight to bed at 230p. I woke up at 11:58p and will go back to bed in a little while. Thank heavens we have this forum. I wish for everyone peaceful sleep.
 
I had my TKR on May 9 2013. I am 39 years old and this has by far been the worst/hardest surgery ever. I have my 6wk follow up Thursday. I am looking forward to it in one way and another not so much. I am not impressed with the whole after care process. I am behind the game they say due to a knee surgery two years ago that never fully healed properly. I never gained full ROM with that one and right now I am struggling with that. My ROM last Wed was 95 (OS wants you at 90 one week post op), no idea what extension is cause they have never measured it at PT but stress it at follow up. My ROM Friday was not good and she didn't even tell me what it was. I stayed home from PT Monday due to a massive toothache and yesterday I cancelled because I had a minor meltdown due to this whole thing. I am getting frustrated but I come here often and now that I am able to log in from laptop I can read more. This site has helped me and knowing I am not alone is a huge help. I am currently still taking my pain meds which is percocet 10/325 every four hours which I was taking prior to surgery. I am having a hard time with pain control and my surgeon switches to Norco 5/325 after surgery and that just doesn't cut it. They make you go to your family doctor for pain control which I believe is crazy because they don't know what is going on. Anyway, looking forward to sharing our journey together. I am going crazy because I am single with a little one and it's just us here. Hope everyone is doing well
 
Yesterday my ROM was 112 and extension was -2 so I was happy with that, I hope the doctor will be. I truly did not understand the reality of TKR recovery.
That's fantastic Janae, thanks for encouragement, last night seemed very long.....

"Lanie" you have done so much, I am very impressed. I will try to up my stationary bike a bit today.

"Amazing Zumba Girl" you are truly amazing having a little one and coping with your TKR recovery.
I hope you all have a good day today, and a good night tonight.
 
Well my pt is hinting he thinks that a manip. is in my near future, I am still going to give it another couple of weeks I did have one with my other knee and I guess other than starting all over again in pain I'm not afraid they do make you feel disappointed in yourself or try anyway I do not believe im the cause of needing the manip. my rom is only like 60 but the swelling in my knee is incredible I'm very active but I believe not the way my pt guy would like me to be. This is an extremely hard surgery all the way around some days I really lose hope of ever walking normal not hurting all the time and ever being truly happy again. I will keep on reading these posts for the hope and support I need. I will say I feel like this has been going on for yrs. I am truly drained I think I hate that part most oh well I'm rambling that's how my mind is lately! Lol Paula
 
Zumba Girl and Minpins, I am so sorry you are experiencing such difficulties. This surgery is so painful and hard both physically and emotionally. I search this site for people well into recovery to reassure myself it will be worth it. I think the majority are so glad they did it! I hope a year from now all of us May Marvels can encourage others. Today is my one month follow up with my OS. Yesterday my ROM was 115 and extension was 0. I am doing PT 3 times a day for 15-20 minutes each. That is more exercise than this old, fat girl has done in a long time! It has been two and a half days since I have had any pain meds. I am so looking forward to being able to be with my family and not be in so much pain and so limited in what I can do. I had my hip replaced in May 2010 and have had 6 infections since then. I still have a monthly injection of a strong antibiotic. I will have to have my left knee done still. It is wonderful to have the hope of getting better. Have a blessed day.
 
Went to the OS today for my 1 month post- op check. He was very pleased and told me no restrictions, so I can drive! When I asked about PT he said I was doing well enough he did not order any. He said to continue what I am doing and keep walking more. He said if I felt I was not progressing after a couple of weeks to call him and he would order more PT. It was a big day, dr. visit, dinner out and some shopping ( using a ride on cart ) and a couple of hours car ride to and from. Am icing knee now and hoping for sleep tonite. How are the rest of the may marvels doing?
 
Well done Janae that is fantastic, I had my first drive yesterday it was great to get out and start doing things for myself again. We are having a terrible storm here in New Zealand so today I am wrapped up lying on the sofa in my PJs keeping warm.
 
Minpins " I am truly drained I think I hate that part most oh well I'm rambling that's how my mind is lately! Lol Paula" Cheer up babe, the nights are long, but you are not alone... thinking of you, hope you are having a better day today.
Janae... well done, so pleased for you. I am four weeks today, hadn't thought of driving, perhaps if I had automatic..
SuzyBlue...wrap up warm, snow in Christchurch I understand.
I am off to the hospital this morning to see a physiotherapist. I had been left pretty much to my own devices since my operation four weeks ago.
I was feeling a bit isolated and unsure, so asked my doctor if he would refer me to a physio knee clinic I had heard of at the hospital. He wasn't keen as it cost his surgery money and he preferred me to use the 'in house' physiotherapist. But my wife had found him less than satisfactory following her recent achilles accident, and i wanted to be part of a group. Anyway I sort of insisted, and I shall be off there this morning. You have to remember that I haven't paid a penny as it is all covered by our National Health Service. Pretty impressive I think…
Another long night, but at least it is light by 5 am and the birds are singing.
Best wishes to all you May marvels..
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom